Question for all Rejects (or reject knowers)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laura_mideon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Have any of you been turned down from a pharm program or do you know anyone who has? Just curious, if they reject you, how do they let you know? And do they tell you why so you can work on it and apply again next year? Or do they just leave you hanging with some generic "we reviewed your application and unfortunately we felt we could not choose you" bullcrap?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to two pharmacy schools last year. I got rejected by one, because I was an out-of-state student and they must have hated converting each term course to semester courses. I was told to reapply next year and they told me how to reapply. :rolleyes: Basically they said: "Numerous applications have been reviewed and evaluated. The selection process uses all available information to evaluate each individual, and there were many other fine applicants such are you who were not accepted."

VP_Pharm2004 said:
I applied to two pharmacy schools last year. I got rejected by one, because I was an out-of-state student and they must have hated converting each term course to semester courses. I was told to reapply next year and they told me how to reapply. :rolleyes: Basically they said: "Numerous applications have been reviewed and evaluated. The selection process uses all available information to evaluate each individual, and there were many other fine applicants such are you who were not accepted."

Wow, so they don't even give you a decent reason? That sucks, I wish they would so we could know how to fix it.

Members don't see this ad :)
VP_Pharm2004 said:
I got rejected by one, because I was an out-of-state student and they must have hated converting each term course to semester courses."

Are you sure about that? It sounds unfair and it's freaking me out since I'm planning to apply to out-of-state schools. Was the school that rejected you from CA?

panda103 said:
Are you sure about that? It sounds unfair and it's freaking me out since I'm planning to apply to out-of-state schools. Was the school that rejected you from CA?

It's not unfair for state schools to reject out of state students. The reason state schools are so much cheaper than private schools is because state tax dollars fund the difference. It is quite difficult to get into an out of state school, but not impossible. You'll need to be a very competitive applicant.

AmandaRxs said:
It's not unfair for state schools to reject out of state students. The reason state schools are so much cheaper than private schools is because state tax dollars fund the difference. It is quite difficult to get into an out of state school, but not impossible. You'll need to be a very competitive applicant.

I don't know about having to be super competitive. I had like a 3.6, like a 90 on the PCAT, and no experience, and I was accepted to an out of state school (Texas). They even offered to charge me instate tuition instead of out of state tuition. Seeing the qualifications of some of you guys and listening to the people in my class, I don't see my qualities as super competitive.

AmandaRxs: I was actually more concerned about the conversion of semester units to quarter units. I believe that was what VP Pharm2004 was talking about ("converting each term course to semester courses"). But thanks anyways for reminding me about how hard I must work on my pre-pharm classes :)

panda103 said:
AmandaRxs: I was actually more concerned about the conversion of semester units to quarter units. I believe that was what VP Pharm2004 was talking about ("converting each term course to semester courses"). But thanks anyways for reminding me about how hard I must work on my pre-pharm classes :)

Hmm...I kind of assumed VPPharm2004 was joking about the conversion comment. Since it's not that hard to convert units.

panda103 said:

As AmandaRxs said, I was kind of joking about that. It's easy to convert term units to semester units, but most of the time, the classes don't match up. The out-of-state school I applied to, required some specific elective courses which I needed to take. I assume that I didn't fulfill the pre-requisites for that school because the elective courses I listed in their supplemental application didn't match up with the ones that are required. Plus, there's that whole confusion between how many terms of a non-science class you really need to take to suffice for the semester hours required.

Well, anyways, the main point is that you have to be very competitive to apply to most out-of-state schools. Which, I guess I wasn't very competitive. :( (I had a 3.52 GPA) Plus, this school favored students with a degree.

laura_mideon said:
Wow, so they don't even give you a decent reason? That sucks, I wish they would so we could know how to fix it.

Yeah it does suck. But I don't even care anymore. I'm proud to be a pharm school reject, because I've never ever been rejected at anything. Anyways, I'm glad I got into my first choice pharmacy school.

I applied to University of NC at Chapel Hill, Univ of GA, Univ of OK, and Medical Univ of SC. I was not accepted at UGA got waitlisted at UNC, and declined an interview at OU b/c I was already accepted to MUSC. I am a SC resident so that made it easier to get into MUSC. I had a 3.42 overall gpa, about a 3.6 prepharm gpa and a 92 on pcat. Nobody gave me a letter telling me what i could do better, but that didnt really matter once I found out I was accepted at MUSC.

My rejection letter said to contact the school with any questions. So, I called them and pumped them for information over the phone. They were reluctant to at first, but I got them to crack open my interview comments and give me a general overview after a couple of phone calls.

I found out that I had supposedly used slang in the interview. As I worked at Wal-Mart at the time and it was pretty informal, this was a possibility. I don't remember exactly what I could have said, though.

They had alot of questions with answers you were supposed to answer a certain way and would lower your marks if you didn't come up with their answer. I could have had time to explain myself, but they were asking questions pretty quickly as they had too many for the time allotted. Some were also repeat questions - as if they all made their own questions and didn't compare. They may not have liked me since I pointed out their repeated questions in the interview. They just told me to go ahead and answer the question again. :rolleyes:

I talked through why I gave the answers I did with the admissions coordinator and as a result they are coordinating questions better, asking fewer questions ovrall, and (best of all) asking people to explain their answers if it wasn't exactly what they were looking for.

I think I was remembered the next year as I had made contact after the interview. I also made it a point to improve myself over the next year, not make the same errors, and most importantly to be positive despite getting turned down the year before.

Members don't see this ad :)
what kind of slang could you have used?

bananaface said:
My rejection letter said to contact the school with any questions. So, I called them and pumped them for information over the phone. They were reluctant to at first, but I got them to crack open my interview comments and give me a general overview after a couple of phone calls.

If a rejection letter does not specify that you can contact the school with questions, would it be a good idea to still do so? And bananaface, how exactly did you "pump them for information"? I want to know just in case I have to do something like that in the future.

pharmacology said:
While I try not to let individuals effect me....sometimes the interviewee just doesn't click with the interviewer.

That's sad....that some people may have just barely gotten in but because of some unexplainable reason, the interviewer doesn't "click" with the interviewee, so they didn't. I feel sorry for anyone who was rejected for such a reason. With the amount of applicants, a miniscule difference on a 100 point scale could make ALL the difference. Oh well, nothing's 100% fair.

wow, great post pharmacology!! I found your posts to be very helpful. May I ask what school do you work for? Cause I might have you for the interview :)

pharmacology said:
It was all good until the last statement. For me, the interviewee did not "click". The person wanted to be a pharmacist...a pharmacists is a PharmD. A PharmD is a doctor. And a doctor is supposed to be a scholar....not a part-time worker. Sure we all want to travel and have a family. But I don't think you tell the person who is busting their butt to train you at the professional level that you like being a pharmacist because you can take time off. It sounded to me as if the person just wanted a job.....not a career, that being a pharmacist was easy.....to me the individual did not sound serious about being a professional pharmacist.

This is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever heard! Why the hell should this person be "discredited" for discovering one of the better things about pharmacy? Just because someone wants to become a part time pharmacist doesn't mean they are not a professional and doesn't mean they don't value the pharmacy profession as a career. Also, just because someone may want to work part time as a pharmacist doesn't mean they think choosing pharmacy is "easy" or aren't as "serious" as other pharmacists. Honestly, I cannot believe you wouldn't accept someone into your pharmacy school because they valued having a family as a priority in their life. Let me just say I am glad I never applied to your school. :rolleyes:

Why does working less hours mean someone is less professional? That's a ridiculous statement. A pharmacist can be just as hard working, serious, and professional about a job working 20 hours a week as he/she can working 40 hours a week. Of course it would be stupid for someone to expect to not work full-time when applying for a job that is specifically stated as such, but one of the great things about pharmacy is that part-time positions are available. Professionalism does not exclude having a life outside of work.

Maybe by the applicant stating s/he knew that part time work is an option, s/he came across as not as dedicated to all that comes with attending pharmacy school.

Part timers are flexible and appreciated by many employers outside of academia.

If I as a woman of child bearing age apply for a position that I anticipate staying in long term, it is pretty much a given that at some point I will end up taking maternity leave and reducing my hours for at least a few months post-partum. Pharmacy is a great field for women in general, because it allows us to be financially independant and we can reduce our hours temporarily without having to worry that there will be no job left to come back to. That said, I would not go tossing this idea around in a pharmacy school interview unless prompted. But, if asked, I would certainly be candid about my views.

The important point in pharmacology's post is that there are just some things you don't need to say in an interview. For example, saying in an interview that you want to go into pharmacy to gain financial independance would be stupid, even if you are a divorced mother of three. Telling an adcom about personal motivations of finance or lifestyle makes you look like you are going into the field for personal gain instead of professional and personal fulfillment.
Grammar lesson of the day: the ellipsis

I can understand what pharmacology is saying.

There are only a very small limited number of seats available. After academics, extracurriculars, and all that mess, what really shines through is the personality and character you see during the interview. When it gets that competitive what else can they act upon? Not everybody will be accepted. What separates that individual from another who has practically the same credentials but stated something more desirable?

It's a Pharmacy Interview, practically everyone will be just as competitive if not more so. Personally, I have a great deal of unorthodox views along certain subjects that I would never discuss during so pivotal a moment. When you were asked that question, did you say things along those lines? Like bananaface basically said, there's a time and a place for everything and you have to decide what's in your best interest. I believe ONCE you're sure that that PharmD degree is in the works, then can you decide that you want to work part time. You can't make lemonade without lemons.

In a way, you're at their mercy. They need to like you. And as cruel as it is, people judge from first impressions.

Let me just say I am glad I never applied to your school.

That was an incredibly bitter statement.

So I guess it's better to lie in your interview than be honest. That's the lesson here. Adcoms want to fill their schools with ethical students who have the integrity and wisdom to lie in their interviews.That's why we end up in class with oodles of people just doing it for the money...they lied and said they wanted to "help people" during their interviews. I hate the games people need to play in this world to get anywhere.

There is no reason to lie in your interview. However, the interview is an excellent opportunity to sell yourself. Treat it like a job opportunity and present yourself in the best possible light. Play to your strengths and highlight what you have to offer as both a student and a professional. If your main motivation is to be a part-time worker and coast along with a decent income there is no need to state it in that manner. If that was important then it can be stated something like, "Not only does being a pharmacist allow me the opportunity to help others, it will allow me to raise my family in comfortable environment. While I am in the business of helping others, it is important to me that my family also recieve the excellent health benefits and a quality life style that a pharmacist can generally rely on."
This statement is clearly true and fairly well thought out, reinforces some of the aspects that are important to you, but does not come across in a negative manner. In fact, I said something very similar in my own interview and it was recieved in a very positive manner. The main thing to remember in an interview is to take your time and evaluate every question you are asked. Pause a bit before you answer and try and think it through clearly. Not only does this let the interviewer know that you are paying attention, it will prevent you from blurting out something that may come across as unprofessional. Just do as you would for any interview: dress well, smile, be positive and professional, remain calm, and be attentive to the person who is giving you the interview. It will go a long way toward helping your cause.

Disclaimer: This is, of course, all my own opinion, but it has worked for me! :love: