Question for anyone who has applied/received NHSC scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jlm50

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I want to apply to the NHSC scholarship but I'm just unsure of when I should be doing what.

I know the application isn't open yet but should I be getting my letters of recommendation ready NOW? I'm not even sure how they submit the letters, or if there is specific information that I need to pass on once the application actually opens. Also, should I be working on the essays beforehand? I suppose I'm wondering if the essays vary by year and I can't go by what 2017 applicants did.

I appreciate any advice/guidance!

J

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hope you don’t mind me piggy backing on this topic but I also have a question about the NHSC.
Can we apply during dental school?
Do you have a better chance of receiving the scholarship if you have a higher ranking location?
Kinda sucks that only a handful of dentists are chosen.

NHSC scholar here. Yes you can apply during professional school. Yes start working on letters of recommendation will never hurt. The letter writer I think gets an email link. I am also a medical student but it should apply.

What do you mean by higher ranking location?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
NHSC scholar here. Yes you can apply during professional school. Yes start working on letters of recommendation will never hurt. The letter writer I think gets an email link. I am also a medical student but it should apply.

What do you mean by higher ranking location?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile
By higher ranking, I mean the score the clinics have based on how underserved the area is.

Hello!
I want to apply to the NHSC scholarship but I'm just unsure of when I should be doing what.

I know the application isn't open yet but should I be getting my letters of recommendation ready NOW? I'm not even sure how they submit the letters, or if there is specific information that I need to pass on once the application actually opens. Also, should I be working on the essays beforehand? I suppose I'm wondering if the essays vary by year and I can't go by what 2017 applicants did.

J
To add to what has already been said, yes, start working on the essays right now too. They do not change. There was some confusion as to how long they should be last year because the wording in the application guide changed, but at least start with the ideas and get something down so that when it comes time to apply, you can just refine it and submit.

By higher ranking, I mean the score the clinics have based on how underserved the area is.
The HPSA score that areas/clinics are assigned have nothing to do with the scholarship application since you apply before you are even a dentist. For the loan repayment program, you may have a leg up if you apply for funding when you are working in a high-need area, but really, you only need to meet the minimum qualifications.
You can apply for the scholarship and the student to service program while in dental school. For the loan repayment, you have to be out and practicing already before you can apply for that.
Hope this helps!
(I am a NHSC scholar who is currently in my service repayment years in rural Colorado).

How many letters of recommendation are required and when does the application open?

Hello!

J

The application packet online for 2017 should be pretty much the same and it is super helpful and lists almost everything you need to know. I'm also applying this cycle and have started working on things and reaching out to people for help in preparation. Last year there was a thread for those applying and that was also helpful to look at!

The application packet online for 2017 should be pretty much the same and it is super helpful and lists almost everything you need to know. I'm also applying this cycle and have started working on things and reaching out to people for help in preparation. Last year there was a thread for those applying and that was also helpful to look at!

Do you think that the essay questions would be the same?

Are you able to submit more than 2 letters of recommendation? Or is it 2 maximum?

Are you able to submit more than 2 letters of recommendation? Or is it 2 maximum?

2 LORs; 1 academic & 1 nonacademic LOR. It says on the Guide.

My questions:
1. Will this year have a conclusive character count/word count for the 3 essays?
2. What are all the uploaded documents that require Name, Discipline, Social Security #?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you find the application questions? I've been looking around on the NHSC website and it doesn't let you view the 2017 application

When does the application cycle open and how long does it last for?

Usually sometime in March and it is open for about a month.

Just went online right now and it said the application cycle for 2018 is now closed? Did it ever open?

open

Last edited:
Just went online right now and it said the application cycle for 2018 is now closed? Did it ever open?

open
I just saw that as well and sent them an email. Talk about giving me an anxiety attack.

I thought it opened a couple days ago. I got an email saying it opened. Is that something different?

I did get a response back that it'll be opening this month, the wording just scared the crap out of me. It literally said that the 2018 cycle was now closed and wait for the next LOL. Crisis averted.

Just to make sure I understand what the scholarship covers... 2 yrs of commitment pays for 2 years of tuition/fees and 2yrs worth of monthly stipends for housing(while in school).
Do they give any stipends while you are fulfilling/working the 2 years?

Just to make sure I understand what the scholarship covers... 2 yrs of commitment pays for 2 years of tuition/fees and 2yrs worth of monthly stipends for housing(while in school).
Do they give any stipends while you are fulfilling/working the 2 years?
It is year for year with a minimum of 2 years. You get a stipend while in school, but not while working because you are getting paid a dentist salary.

It is year for year with a minimum of 2 years. You get a stipend while in school, but not while working because you are getting paid a dentist salary.
thanks for the clarification! do you know the average salary they pay out?

thanks for the clarification! do you know the average salary they pay out?
I don't believe it's NHSC that pays your salary once you're working. I could be wrong, but I believe it's paid by your employer at whatever site you get placed at.

I don't believe it's NHSC that pays your salary once you're working. I could be wrong, but I believe it's paid by your employer at whatever site you get placed at.
That is correct. The NHSC has almost nothing to do with you once you graduate other than approving your workplace to make sure it qualifies according to their guidelines. You work for someone else. You never work for the NHSC directly.
And you never “get placed.” You choose where you work.

That is correct. The NHSC has almost nothing to do with you once you graduate other than approving your workplace to make sure it qualifies according to their guidelines. You work for someone else. You never work for the NHSC directly.
And you never “get placed.” You choose where you work.

Since you received the scholarship, I have a couple questions if you don't mind answering.
How long do you plan on working for them?
Are you enjoying it/ what's your overall experience so far?
I know they look at history of financial need and disadvantage background, but what can I do to increase my chances? Volunteer like 1000 hrs?

Since you received the scholarship, I have a couple questions if you don't mind answering.
How long do you plan on working for them?
Are you enjoying it/ what's your overall experience so far?
I know they look at history of financial need and disadvantage background, but what can I do to increase my chances? Volunteer like 1000 hrs?
I actually plan on making public health my career so I would like to stay long term. The only thing that would pull me away is if I got the chance to start my own dental school (which is my long-term goal).
I am loving it so far. I like that I am not pressured to “sell” my treatment plans and am able to just relax and do what is best for the patient. My salary is also not based on production so that’s an additional source of stress that is now gone. I have had a great experience so far. I’ve been doing a ton of procedures and had a good mix of everything. I see a lot of patients, but not too many. I am living the dream.
So they do consider financial need and disadvantaged background, but it isn’t necessary. I did not have either of those (my dad is a dentist) and I still got it. I do have an extensive volunteering background though, so that probably helped me. I think that anything you can do to show you have ties to an underserved area or population should be done and emphasized on your application.

Reactions: 3 users
I actually plan on making public health my career so I would like to stay long term. The only thing that would pull me away is if I got the chance to start my own dental school (which is my long-term goal).
I am loving it so far. I like that I am not pressured to “sell” my treatment plans and am able to just relax and do what is best for the patient. My salary is also not based on production so that’s an additional source of stress that is now gone. I have had a great experience so far. I’ve been doing a ton of procedures and had a good mix of everything. I see a lot of patients, but not too many. I am living the dream.
So they do consider financial need and disadvantaged background, but it isn’t necessary. I did not have either of those (my dad is a dentist) and I still got it. I do have an extensive volunteering background though, so that probably helped me. I think that anything you can do to show you have ties to an underserved area or population should be done and emphasized on your application.

That's valuable input!
I am also hoping to stay working with public health and helping underserved communities.

Quick question - Did you use a CV when you applied or your resume? I have a resume made, but I'm not sure if I should make a CV to use instead?

That's valuable input!
I am also hoping to stay working with public health and helping underserved communities.

Quick question - Did you use a CV when you applied or your resume? I have a resume made, but I'm not sure if I should make a CV to use instead?
I did a CV because I had recently made it for something else, but I feel like they are so similar that it wouldn’t even matter which one you chose to do for this specific case.

That's valuable input!

NHSC scholar here (dental) - I was unsure about CV/resume as well when I was applying, I submitted my resume and it was fine

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know someone previously asked this question, but where exactly can we find the essay questions? I cant seem to find them in the NHSC site. Thanks

Ive written my essays, I have my rec letters ready, when is the scholarship application going to open???

Ive written my essays, I have my rec letters ready, when is the scholarship application going to open???

Same, patiently waiting...I called earlier this week and they just said "in March."

I want to apply for this but I don't have a full acceptance yet. I'm on the waitlist for my top choice but was rejected everywhere else. I'm worried about the application closing before I find out if I've been accepted. I know you need any acceptance letter do receive the scholarship but can I apply with just being waitlisted?

I am pretty sure I saw that it opened last year on March 16th. Why is it taking so much longer this year?

I want to apply for this but I don't have a full acceptance yet. I'm on the waitlist for my top choice but was rejected everywhere else. I'm worried about the application closing before I find out if I've been accepted. I know you need any acceptance letter do receive the scholarship but can I apply with just being waitlisted?

I'm pretty sure you have to have a form filled out by the office of the school you'll be attending, it's like an enrollment form...meaning I think you have to have an acceptance. The application is open for a month, so hopefully if that's the case you'll hear back in time to submit!!

No, you need to be accepted. You also can’t just submit it from “any” school. It has to be the school you actually attend. I know too many people who have submitted with one school and then tried to change the school that they are attending on the application (after it closed) and were then disqualified because of it. I did hear of one person last year who somehow made it work, but that has been the only case I’ve heard of successfully doing that so far, although I don’t know if they even ended up receiving the scholarship.

I'm pretty sure you have to have a form filled out by the office of the school you'll be attending, it's like an enrollment form...meaning I think you have to have an acceptance. The application is open for a month, so hopefully if that's the case you'll hear back in time to submit!!
Yep! This is correct.

I am pretty sure I saw that it opened last year on March 16th. Why is it taking so much longer this year?
Not sure, but it doesn’t surprise me. Unlike private organizations who can function like clockwork, NHSC is a government program meaning there are a number of things that could have delayed it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it has something to do with the government shut downs that have happened over the past few months, even with them being as short as they were. There was an email sent out before the first one saying that the shut down wouldn’t affect funding for the program, but it would affect the day to day operations of HRSA/NHSC. It could also be them trying to clarify things from last year so there isn’t as much confusion. Either way, it will open soon and stay open for about a month, so there’s no hurry. You also won’t be notified of the award if you get it until September... so there really is no rush.

If you are not accepted by the time the application closes, you can still apply next year for a 3 year scholarship!

Also yeah the loan repayment thing has been up for a while but this is just leaving us hanging.

I signed up for those too, and didn’t get one. I just happened to go to page “just in case”.

Does NHSC commitment have to do anything with the military?