Question for anyone who has applied/received NHSC scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does NHSC commitment have to do anything with the military?

No it doesn’t have to do with the military.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question, I do consider myself from a disadvantaged background, and financial need, however they want proof from the school that I am disadvantaged? Could someone explain what proof is it that they require?

It is year for year with a minimum of 2 years. You get a stipend while in school, but not while working because you are getting paid a dentist salary.
The NHSC poster says max of $50k????

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question, I do consider myself from a disadvantaged background, and financial need, however they want proof from the school that I am disadvantaged? Could someone explain what proof is it that they require?
There is a form that your financial aid office fills out.

For Medical and Dental Students: Applicant’s school must certify that the applicant participated in, or would have been eligible for participation in, federal programs such as “Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students” or “Loans to Disadvantaged
Students“

Does the FSEOG count as proof for financial need?

There is a form that your financial aid office fills out.

For Medical and Dental Students: Applicant’s school must certify that the applicant participated in, or would have been eligible for participation in, federal programs such as “Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students” or “Loans to Disadvantaged
Students“

Okkkk

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does the FSEOG count as proof for financial need?
I called the NHSC help line and they said yes, but I am not sure. I received it as well during my undergrad so I hope that it counts. It all depends on what your financial aid office says and whether or not they'll sign the paper.

I called the NHSC help line and they said yes, but I am not sure. I received it as well during my undergrad so I hope that it counts. It all depends on what your financial aid office says and whether or not they'll sign the paper.
Thank you!

Does anyone have an idea of percent accepted in each profession? For example physicians vs dentists vs nurses?

Does anyone have an idea of percent accepted in each profession? For example physicians vs dentists vs nurses?
I don’t have an official number necessarily, but during the orientation webinar the year I was awarded the scholarship, they said that out of about 180 awarded, only about 25 went to dental students.

I don’t have an official number necessarily, but during the orientation webinar the year I was awarded the scholarship, they said that out of about 180 awarded, only about 25 went to dental students.
Oh gosh, that's lower than I expected! I'm actually headed to DO school, do you remember the amount awarded to future physicians by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is correct. The NHSC has almost nothing to do with you once you graduate other than approving your workplace to make sure it qualifies according to their guidelines. You work for someone else. You never work for the NHSC directly.
And you never “get placed.” You choose where you work.
If I mentioned ties to a local community and volunteering from another service organization and I could see myself working in the area would that be a no no? Or do you think that may help? Or does it not matter?

If I mentioned ties to a local community and volunteering from another service organization and I could see myself working in the area would that be a no no? Or do you think that may help? Or does it not matter?
I encourage people to include stuff like that. Don’t lie, but if it’s true, I think that can only help. I believe that is the sort of thing that they are looking for in someone— someone who will not only enjoy working in an underserved area, but someone who was going there anyway and will stay there after.

Last minute question! In the PDF that's generated once you submit your application, is anyone else noticing that the State is not filled in on the Degree Information page under School Information?

question for previous recipients of the scholarship ( or for anyone who might know) when did you get your acceptances? I know it says by September 30th but i was wondering what were some real examples. Thanks and good luck to everyone !

question for previous recipients of the scholarship ( or for anyone who might know) when did you get your acceptances? I know it says by September 30th but i was wondering what were some real examples. Thanks and good luck to everyone !
You will most likely not hear until early to mid September. They really don’t push for it to be any earlier.

Any reason for this? Reason I ask is does this lock us into schools or would they work with us if we changed relatively quickly?

Any reason for this? Reason I ask is does this lock us into schools or would they work with us if we changed relatively quickly?

I may be misunderstanding your post. Sorry if I am... You can only apply if you have already been accepted to a school, so you should already be locked in.

Not really. They are just slow. And yes, as @Carlsaganlvr10 said, you should already be locked in because you would have started school before you hear back from the scholarship.

I am “locked in” and accepted, but my question related to is if students could ever switch acceptances