Question for current medical students- Did you make the right decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure, I think SDN is a great platform to get help and vent anonymously. And getting advice from people who have been through it is a great resource. And gives a reality check on pre meds on the cost and sacrifice medicine requires of you. It’s just sad some people were pushed to medicine or realized too late that it’s not for them career wise.
What year in medical school are you? I still am passionate about medicine. That doesn't mean what I said in my PS still applies to who I am today. Much of it doesn't and the realities of what medical school is versus what I thought would be are very different.

Members don't see this ad.

What year in medical school are you? I still am passionate about medicine. That doesn't mean what I said in my PS still applies to who I am today. Much of it doesn't and the realities of what medical school is versus what I thought would be are very different.
That’s great. Keep at it and continue to grow.

That’s great. Keep at it and continue to grow.
just realized you are a M0. I understand why you have the thoughts you do. I would've said the same thing a year ago. Medical School, even first year, changes you in ways you don't yet understand. Not fundamentally who you are, but basically what gets you through the day is no longer the things you wrote in your PS. Motivators change as sitting in rooms and memorizing vast amounts of information is a lot less glorious than it sounds.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The guy asked a question and people responded with their thoughts. If you have a dissenting opinion great, express it, but don't think it trumps all and everyone else is simply disillusioned.

Personally as I wrap school up here and head on to the next step the hardest part of this whole thing is the amount of work thats been put into the last 4-7 years and all I have to show for it is an arbitrary duo of letters and a signed residency contract. Massive amount of debt still accumulating interest, 4 years older, no high paying career for the foreseeable future. Facing another enormous mountain of hurdles and starting from rock bottom once again.

The acute stress sucks and tests are hard, step is stressful, matching is stressful. All of these things are hopefully overcome and become past events. It's the chronicity of all of this that you cannot fathom until years down the road. Sure, there are worse things in the world. Same could be said for anything.

Point being is that if you really, truly, to your core can't do anything with your life except become a physician then go for it. Anything less than that and you are in for a long, long journey that you can't just up and leave. Same can't be said for anything else

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I say not worth it, finance or law would have been hands down better. Also we have no idea what the compensation/legislation will be in 7 to 11 years.

My SO is in finance and let me say this much, it isn’t my cup of tea at all.

The guy asked a question and people responded with their thoughts. If you have a dissenting opinion great, express it, but don't think it trumps all and everyone else is simply disillusioned.

Personally as I wrap school up here and head on to the next step the hardest part of this whole thing is the amount of work thats been put into the last 4-7 years and all I have to show for it is an arbitrary duo of letters and a signed residency contract. Massive amount of debt still accumulating interest, 4 years older, no high paying career for the foreseeable future. Facing another enormous mountain of hurdles and starting from rock bottom once again.

The acute stress sucks and tests are hard, step is stressful, matching is stressful. All of these things are hopefully overcome and become past events. It's the chronicity of all of this that you cannot fathom until years down the road. Sure, there are worse things in the world. Same could be said for anything.

Point being is that if you really, truly, to your core can't do anything with your life except become a physician then go for it. Anything less than that and you are in for a long, long journey that you can't just up and leave. Same can't be said for anything else
All of those things still apply to me. I could imagine no other career and I am not complaining. But what I said in my personal statement has very little relevance to why that is. The personal statement means less than you think on this journey. It was a weird comment that really has no context to the conversation.

For me... idk. I question it. I really fell into a deep, dark hole for most of first and second year. I had lost 25 lbs first year. I was borderline on self-harm, again. Med school nearly broke me, so in that regard, not worth it at all.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
For me... idk. I question it. I really fell into a deep, dark hole for most of first and second year. I had lost 25 lbs first year. I was borderline on self-harm, again. Med school nearly broke me, so in that regard, not worth it at all.
So do you agree with my idea about NHL/pro-athletes?

• Haha
So do you agree with my idea about NHL/pro-athletes?

I see you’re still desperate for validation, but no, not even a little.

But thanks for taking something I said and had a hard time to twist into something stupid to try and validate an asinine point

Reactions: 3 users
I see you’re still desperate for validation, but no, not even a little.

But thanks for taking something I said and had a hard time to twist into something stupid to try and validate an asinine point
Pleaseeeee someone agree with me. Just 1 person.

• Wow
Pleaseeeee someone agree with me. Just 1 person.

At this point I am convinced you’re a complete troll. Views like this is why athletes are grossly overpaid while military members who do make the ultimate sacrifice get laughable wages.

I'll be 100% honest, medical school is terrible. You're poor, stressed, and you will miss out on so many social things (due to lack of money, lack of time, or both). Yes, the material is interesting, but when you're pounding an absurd amount of minutiae into your head that interesting goes away fast. Add in constant high stakes testing and your life is going to be generally pretty crappy for at least 4 years.

On the other hand, being a physician is not terrible. You make great money, have great job stability, and have a chance to profoundly impact someone's life every day. There is not many (if any) jobs that provide that.

My personal advice, look at your life right now, and determine what draws you to medicine (the more I've been in medical school the less convinced I am that what this is matters) and if you're willing to sacrifice most of what you enjoy (and your financial stability) for that. If the answer is yes, go.
I've been poor, stressed, and missing out on so many social things just trying to get into medical school (finished app cycle #3). At least when I start, then I'll be doing what I'm passionate about. Also, time management. I know more than enough medical students who are having the time of their lives.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point I am convinced you’re a complete troll. Views like this is why athletes are grossly overpaid while military members who do make the ultimate sacrifice get laughable wages.
I'm not. We all have our flaws, and this is one thing that I know is wrong but I believe it

Finishing M1 soon. No regrets yet.

It’s been exactly how I expected it, maybe ever so slightly easier.

I think as an RN I places physicians on too much of a pedestal. Lol.

I've been poor, stressed, and missing out on so many social things just trying to get into medical school (finished app cycle #3). At least when I start, then I'll be doing what I'm passionate about. Also, time management. I know more than enough medical students who are having the time of their lives.
You’re passionate about sitting by yourself trapped at a table straining your joints, eyes, brain, and relationships? Okay, well then enjoy.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
You’re passionate about sitting by yourself trapped at a table straining your joints, eyes, brain, and relationships? Okay, well then enjoy.
Yah. I did it once already with engineering. Maybe there's better routes for people who don't enjoy education so much.

Yah. I did it once already with engineering. Maybe there's better routes for people who don't enjoy education so much.
I mean I’ve been in a factory, CNA, and literally picking up trash so I’ll take this any day of the week. The SDN woe is me gets a bit old

• Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
I mean I’ve been in a factory, CNA, and literally picking up trash so I’ll take this any day of the week. The SDN woe is me gets a bit old
It's nonsense. Like I said, there are plenty of happy medical students out there. It happens to be much harder than most undergrad curricula, which is why I think many are caught off guard.

• Okay...
It's nonsense. Like I said, there are plenty of happy medical students out there. It happens to be much harder than most undergrad curricula, which is why I think many are caught off guard.
I went to a top engineering school and studied my a** off in undergraduate. That isn't really the point. The time put in isn't even the point. The point is the sheer amount of material that really doesn't allow you to go into any depth whatsoever if you want to keep your head above water. It's super frustrating. You just don't have enough time to learn the whole TCA cycle and all the enzymes but my brain works best when getting a deep understanding of the material. I thought going in that medical school would teach depth and we could learn the amount that we feel comfortable with. The problem is when the TCA cycle is one slide on powerpoint show of 125 slides and you have 15 powerpoints to memorize for the week. Good luck. You go to first aid and other resources and figure out what is or isn't testable and memorize to the depth that those resources tell you. It's like a constant game of pirates where you are looking for a treasure map and then WALA you found the chest but have no idea how you got there. It's a constant game like this for a year while sitting at your computer or library or wherever in some form of isolation and then on top of that your school throws in random mandatory events for you to do.

and somehow, through all of that you still realize you have 6 hours per day to yourself to do the things you want, and depending on the type of person you are, you either cherish that and say damn my life is good or you get upset and say that it's not worth it.

Lol toxic. Why don’t you just drop out. Medicine clearly isn’t for everyone.
He’s clearly enjoying the ride. Why rain on his parade just because you’re miserable about your career choice?
Being a physician is not a cakewalk. What did you expect, rainbows and sunshine? It’s one of the toughest career out there in terms of demand physically and mentally.
Lot of people will sacrifice their relationships and social life just to be in your shoes.
Coming from the financial sector, I can say this is the path for me. Unfortunate some students find out during school. But please, don’t bring that attitude to SDN. Thought this website was to help students become doctors lol...

Last edited:
  • Angry

Do you have any idea what the problem may be with your app? I'm happy to offer advice for what it's worth.

As to your comment about time management,
1. I do things outside of medical school (date, IM soccer, go out after tests), but it is much, much less than I would do were I not a medical student. And no amount of time management will change that (this is why medical school is a sacrifice)

2. I know medical students. There is a lot of people who put on the facade that this is the greatest thing ever, because that it constantly what you are told ("be thankful you're here", "what an opportunity", "so many people would love to have your seat"). So it creates the situation where you feel bad if you're not 'absolutely loving it.' I know, because I've felt it. But I've come to terms with that. It is an amazing opportunity. It is also one of the most challenging, stressful, frustrating things you will ever do.

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s clearly enjoying the ride. Why rain on his parade just because you’re miserable about your career choice?
Being a physician is not a cakewalk. What did you expect, rainbows and sunshine? It’s one of the toughest career out there in terms of demand physically and mentally.
Lot of people will sacrifice their relationships and social life just to be in your shoes.
Coming from the financial sector, I can say this is the path for me. Unfortunate some students find out during school. But please, don’t bring that attitude to SDN. Thought this website was to help students become doctors lol...

Being thankful for the opportunity to become a physician and thinking medical school is difficult, stressful, and often times overwhelming are not mutually exclusive. To give an analogy:

I played college soccer. I absolutely hated summer conditioning, but I loved playing soccer. Medical school is the summer conditioning of medicine. It sucks, but it has a purpose It enable you to do what you want. That doesn't mean you should pretend to love conditioning (or medical school).

So no I am not going to pretend medical school is 'absolutely amazing' and 'everyone should go.' For the right people, medical school is a great choice. But everyone should go in eyes open as to the sacrifice they are making.

Being thankful for the opportunity to become a physician and thinking medical school is difficult, stressful, and often times overwhelming are not mutually exclusive. To give an analogy:

I played college soccer. I absolutely hated summer conditioning, but I loved playing soccer. Medical school is the summer conditioning of medicine. It sucks, but it has a purpose It enable you to do what you want. That doesn't mean you should pretend to love conditioning (or medical school).

So no I am not going to pretend medical school is 'absolutely amazing' and 'everyone should go.' For the right people, medical school is a great choice. But everyone should go in eyes open as to the sacrifice they are making.
Nobody is saying medical school is amazing and easy. But it isn’t as bad as SDN makes it out to be. Nothing is as bad as SDN makes it out to be. And honestly playing soccer isn’t like this because at the end of the day that’s a game. This is a job. And when you come in to this having crap jobs, you’re a hell of a lot more thankful for this opportunity because the young professional life looks good on Facebook but it’s nothing incredible either.

Nobody is saying medical school is amazing and easy. But it isn’t as bad as SDN makes it out to be. Nothing is as bad as SDN makes it out to be. And honestly playing soccer isn’t like this because at the end of the day that’s a game. This is a job. And when you come in to this having crap jobs, you’re a hell of a lot more thankful for this opportunity because the young professional life looks good on Facebook but it’s nothing incredible either.

1.There is a reason I quoted the poster I quoted. My response was to the attitude that medical school is 'amazing' and 'fun' because you get to study what you're 'passionate' about. Unless you're passionate about grades, the first two years isn't going involve a whole lot of 'fun' and 'passion.'

(My opinion (stated in the beginning of the thread) is that it's hard, you will sacrifice a lot of your social life, hobbies, etc., but if you have a compelling reason to be there (one that you can turn to when you're really stressed/hating it) you'll make it)

2. Stop being obtuse. The point was that getting the chance to do something you love often requires putting in work which you will not love. Not that soccer = medical school. Though I'd argue college sports are closer to a job than a pass time, but that's a different discussion.

3. And I will give you props, you worked some ****ty jobs. And I do not envy you for that. However, my question would be would you rather be a medical student the rest of your life or work a ****ty job the rest of your life? Cause I'd choose the ****ty job. Medical school on its' own is terrible. You're paying 50k/year to have the opportunity to cram minutiae for ~60 hrs/week. The career at the end is not terrible (imo it's the best job there is). Just because the career at the end is worth it does not mean we have to pretend medical school isn't terrible.

• Love
1.There is a reason I quoted the poster I quoted. My response was to the attitude that medical school is 'amazing' and 'fun' because you get to study what you're 'passionate' about. Unless you're passionate about grades, the first two years isn't going involve a whole lot of 'fun' and 'passion.'

(My opinion (stated in the beginning of the thread) is that it's hard, you will sacrifice a lot of your social life, hobbies, etc., but if you have a compelling reason to be there (one that you can turn to when you're really stressed/hating it) you'll make it)

2. Stop being obtuse. The point was that getting the chance to do something you love often requires putting in work which you will not love. Not that soccer = medical school. Though I'd argue college sports are closer to a job than a pass time, but that's a different discussion.

3. And I will give you props, you worked some ****ty jobs. And I do not envy you for that. However, my question would be would you rather be a medical student the rest of your life or work a ****ty job the rest of your life? Cause I'd choose the ****ty job. Medical school on its' own is terrible. You're paying 50k/year to have the opportunity to cram minutiae for ~60 hrs/week. The career at the end is not terrible (imo it's the best job there is). Just because the career at the end is worth it does not mean we have to pretend medical school isn't terrible.
Honestly it isn't fun all the time, but it also isn't the worst thing in the world either. You don't have to sacrifice everything, you just have to prioritize what important. You haven't even started medical school yet so please spare me with explaining how difficult medical school is. There's a lot of stuff I don't necessarily enjoy learning, but its still pretty cool that I know these things when 90% of the rest of the world doesn't. Its all about mindset on it.

I played sports too, its a time commitment, but it ain't a job. Thanks for teaching me about life oh wise one. Good luck

• Haha
I think the more appropriate response to this is that it waxes and wanes. I hated first year (still technically an M1 but we've transitioned into our second year curriculum) and I'm having a much better time. First year is a huge time suck in so many aspects, and combine that with trying to figure out how to study and what works for you...it's rough. Now that we're done with anatomy lab and a lot of our learning is self-directed, I'm having a much better time and have more time for myself. I'm sure there are people who would say the exact opposite, though: there are people in my class who had master's degrees in anatomy and chilled most of first year, and are now starting to stress. This whole process is very individualized.

Point being, there are days when I feel like I can't keep going, and I sit on my couch and cry seemingly out of the blue because I want to have a life again. Then there are days when I love what I'm doing and wouldn't want to do anything else. All in all, I don't regret it (although that may have a lot to do with the fact that I am significantly younger than most people), although I acknowledge that I am still early on in this process. Regardless, throughout the year I have always made time to continue doing the things I love: I watch TV, I go on dates with my boyfriend a couple of times a week, I speak to my family and friends on the phone almost every day, etc. Again, an individual choice: I'm not gunning for ortho/derm/etc, so I don't need to kill myself and can allow myself to enjoy the ride a bit more.

All in all, the thing I agree with most is that medical school definitely changes you. The degree that you allow it to, though, is up to you and your mindset. There have been very few times that I can recall yelling at my SO because I couldn't handle them sharing a part of their day with me...that seems more like a very individualized response than something that can be generalized.

lol i feel like you need to re-read what i wrote. I was agreeing that med school is not all "fun". In fact, I stated that it will suck and drain your life.
So you're basically agreeing with my statement unknowingly.

In the end, no sense of arguing with people on an online forum if all they can bring is their crappy attitude. Not saying med school will be a cakewalk, its just some people like to bring others down when they are miserable themselves.

• Okay...
lol i feel like you need to re-read what i wrote. I was agreeing that med school is not all "fun". In fact, I stated that it will suck and drain your life.

In the end, no sense of arguing with people on an online forum if all they can bring is their crappy attitude. Not saying med school will be a cakewalk, its just some people like to bring others down when they are miserable themselves.

I agree with that part of your statement and said as much.

However, a pre-med thinking that medical school will be great because you're passionate about the material is just naive. And telling them that is not 'raining on their parade'; it's being honest.

To give an example: I love fluid physics and would have loved to spend the time to get a thorough understanding of it during the CV unit. But I also would have failed the test. Medical school is all about 'high yield' which really kills any passion or desire for deeper understanding you may have about the material.

• Love
Honestly it isn't fun all the time, but it also isn't the worst thing in the world either. You don't have to sacrifice everything, you just have to prioritize what important. You haven't even started medical school yet so please spare me with explaining how difficult medical school is. There's a lot of stuff I don't necessarily enjoy learning, but its still pretty cool that I know these things when 90% of the rest of the world doesn't. Its all about mindset on it.

I played sports too, its a time commitment, but it ain't a job. Thanks for teaching me about life oh wise one. Good luck

1. I'm an M1...it say's as much in my signature. Not sure where you got that I was a pre-med.

2. And that is literally my point...you cannot count on loving the material to get you through medical school. You have to have something else (grades, the job at the end, etc.).

3. How so? I exchange 40 hrs/week of my time for pay (a scholarship). That is the definition of a job.

And I'm not sure why you're so offended by all of this. I think the first two years of medical school are terrible. I'm guessing you're enjoying them. There will be pre-meds on this forum who will love them (like you seem to). And there will be pre-meds on this forum who will hate (like I have, though I will admit organs systems is much, much better than anatomy/biochem). They deserve to hear both persepctives.

I agree and said as much.

However, a pre-med thinking that medical school will be great because you're passionate about the material is just naive. And telling them that is not 'raining on their parade'; it's being honest.

To give an example: I love fluid physics and would have loved to spend the time to get a thorough understanding of it during the CV unit. But I also would have failed the test. Medical school is all about 'high yield' which really kills any passion or desire for deeper understanding you may have about the material.
I said people have lost their passion??

Let's just drop it. To each their own

• Okay...
I said people have lost their passion??

Let's just drop it. To each their own

Fair enough! I think we both agree medical school is challenging and a sacrifice. I just think we have different things that get us through it.

I agree with that part of your statement and said as much.

That's exactly it. I thought I would be passionate about the material. Some of it I really am. But I can't devote time away from the high yield facts and waste time getting a true deep understanding of the material because there is just too much material. It's how it has to be, and I understand why that is. It's just frustrating at times.

dude studying at home is the best my friends get up at 6 AM to commute to the city I get up at 10 study all day and watch Netflix after I’m done its not that bad. I mean yeah studying all day sucks but if I wasn’t studying I’d be working all day anyway at some job i loathe
As a non trad student this is 100% true. School is nothing compared to the real world.

Reactions: 5 users

I worked a really crappy job prior to med school. There are days i would pick said job over this. I hope MS4 isnt quite so bad.

Last edited:
As a non trad student this is 100% true. School is nothing compared to the real world.
Yep. This is like the most expensive vacation ever from the real world. Digging proverbial (and sometimes literal) ditches is far worse than sitting on my ass reading all day.

Okay, so I've seen several posters comment something to effect of medical school > work/the real world. And you might be right (I've only experienced med school, so who am I to say). That said, nearly everyone I see who went to UG w/ me and went to work is fairly happy (at least at 22-25), so what am I missing?

I'm not looking to argue, but as someone who has only experienced med school (and part time UG work), what are the biggest drawbacks to work/real world as compared to medical school?

Okay, so I've seen several posters comment something to effect of medical school > work/the real world. And you might be right (I've only experienced med school, so who am I to say). That said, nearly everyone I see who went to UG w/ me and went to work is fairly happy (at least at 22-25), so what am I missing?

I'm not looking to argue, but as someone who has only experienced med school (and part time UG work), what are the biggest drawbacks to work/real world as compared to medical school?

I am guessing you are an M1. There are lot of people in medical school really happy too, much happier than people that went into jobs after undergrad. They probably just don't come on sdn. Medical school is not that hard if you want to go into primary care. Just pass everything and you will get in somewhere. There are plenty of people with that mindset.

The only thing that I can think probably sucks in medical school is 1) massive debt 2) wanting to go somewhere super competitive and not getting it- i think that's a big sucker. You work hard and you don't get it but that's how life works.

Cliffs:

Work as a construction laborer digging holes during pre-med while completing an advanced engineering degree, have rich parents pay for med school to negate debt, and aim for 70's to go into primary care which you shall remain passionate about for the duration of your life and med school will be a walk in the park

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I am guessing you are an M1. There are lot of people in medical school really happy too, much happier than people that went into jobs after undergrad. They probably just don't come on sdn. Medical school is not that hard if you want to go into primary care. Just pass everything and you will get in somewhere. There are plenty of people with that mindset.

The only thing that I can think probably sucks in medical school is 1) massive debt 2) wanting to go somewhere super competitive and not getting it- i think that's a big sucker. You work hard and you don't get it but that's how life works.

There definitely is. And I would actually consider myself a happy person (I would do this again). But I'm not happy because I get to study 60 hrs/week. Med school it's self isn't all that enjoyable. I'm happy because of friends, family, hobbies, getting to pursue my dream career, etc.

And honestly, am I just a really stupid medical student? Because I have to work my ass off just to do average on exams. If I coasted, I'd fail out.

• Love
There definitely is. And I would actually consider myself a happy person (I would do this again). But I'm not happy because I get to study 60 hrs/week. Med school it's self isn't all that enjoyable. I'm happy because of friends, family, hobbies, getting to pursue my dream career, etc.

And honestly, am I just a really stupid medical student? Because I have to work my ass off just to do average on exams. If I coasted, I'd fail out.
Well if you are doing average, there is still a good 50% below you. Relax, enjoy med school unless you want to go into a surgical subspeciality then you are screwed but still ok

It’s not toxic to share my experience as a medical student in a thread where someone asks medical students to share their experience. And it sounds like you’re the one who expects all rainbows and sunshine. Also, you are confusing being a medical student with being a physician. They are not the same. And he is not “enjoying the ride” if medical school because much like you, he hasn’t experienced it yet. So maybe people not even “on the ride” shouldn’t tell people “on the ride” to get off when they say it (medical school) is hard and miserable.

Medical school *is* a miserable experience for me and many others. It doesn’t mean we have a “crappy attitude”. We are sharing our experience, which is the only one we can have. Which is again more than your zero experience.

It’s not toxic to share my experience as a medical student in a thread where someone asks medical students to share their experience. And it sounds like you’re the one who expects all rainbows and sunshine. Also, you are confusing being a medical student with being a physician. They are not the same. And he is not “enjoying the ride” if medical school because much like you, he hasn’t experienced it yet. So maybe people not even “on the ride” shouldn’t tell people “on the ride” to get off when they say it (medical school) is hard and miserable.

Medical school *is* a miserable experience for me and many others. It doesn’t mean we have a “crappy attitude”. We are sharing our experience, which is the only one we can have. Which is again more than your zero experience.
Yeah, med school sucks for a lot of people. Even people that do well.

I personally didn't really enjoy it. There were certainly worse paths I could have taken, but I didn't like medical school.

That being said, it was absolutely worth it. Being a doctor, at least to me, is pretty great most of the time.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Good for you. To each their own. Good luck in school

I personally didn't really enjoy it. There were certainly worse paths I could have taken, but I didn't like medical school.

That being said, it was absolutely worth it. Being a doctor, at least to me, is pretty great most of the time.

Thank you! I am still chugging along for the light at the end of the tunnel! In the mean time I’m really psyched to start rotations 2 months from today!

Good for you. To each their own. Good luck in school

Thank you, to you as well!

Did you say that medical school was easy in the other thread?