Question for current medical students- Did you make the right decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! I am still chugging along for the light at the end of the tunnel! In the mean time I’m really psyched to start rotations 2 months from today!

Thank you, to you as well!

Medical school dramatically improved for me once rotations started. Third year was HARD, but, you’re not stuck on the isolated abyss of the first two years of med school. Studying for shelf exams has been a major drag, because after a long day at the hospital, you don’t want to study when you get home. I took weekends off and still did reasonably well on ALL of my shelf exams. I prioritized my marriage over studying on the weekends.

You will get through this!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Medical school dramatically improved for me once rotations started. Third year was HARD, but, you’re not stuck on the isolated abyss of the first two years of med school. Studying for shelf exams has been a major drag, because after a long day at the hospital, you don’t want to study when you get home. I took weekends off and still did reasonably well on ALL of my shelf exams. I prioritized my marriage over studying on the weekends.

You will get through this!
Mmm I recall you saying that engineering was harder and med school was a joke

Members don't see this ad :)
Mmm I recall you saying that engineering was harder and med school was a joke
Sigh...

VA Hopeful Dr said:
@Mad Jack , your signature meme is needed...

VA Hopeful Dr said:

VA Hopeful Dr said:
Yep. I might have some thoughts about it, but I'd keep them to myself like 99% of the thoughts I have on a given day.

You know, like a grown up person.

Those were the only posts I made in your now locked thread. If you think I would have said anything on the subject elsewhere, feel free to find and quote it.

As an aside, why is obvious troll not banned yet? @GoSpursGo

Reactions: 5 users
Let me just say this much, med school is hard. I never said it wasn’t, but it is hard for different reasons than other things are hard. It is also hard for people in different ways. Some people can’t handle the volume. Some people struggle not being able to be as independent with their time as they used to be. It doesn’t matter. This isn’t a pissing contest to see who has it worst. We just need to recognize that we may all be struggling in some way and it isn’t as trivial as you think.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Let me just say this much, med school is hard. I never said it wasn’t, but it is hard for different reasons than other things are hard. It is also hard for people in different ways. Some people can’t handle the volume. Some people struggle not being able to be as independent with their time as they used to be. It doesn’t matter. This isn’t a pissing contest to see who has it worst. We just need to recognize that we may all be struggling in some way and it isn’t as trivial as you think.

Ironic how the people arguing anything different are M1's and premeds

Reactions: 2 users
Just wasted 7 minutes reading the Laughing thread then realized it was the same person who made this thread.

Mate, I get that you want people to sympathize with you. But at some point in time you're gonna have to sit back and ask yourself:

"Why do I feel the need to be validated on the internet? Why can't I let things go?"

Its not healthy man. If you've got nothing else to do but cackle and squirm in ecstasy when online randos agree with you, or pick fights with people just to feel a sense of self accomplishment, you're not gonna get very far in the real world.

You might fool yourself into feeling good for a bit....but it won't last long.

And now I have wasted 10 minutes.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I worked a really crappy job prior to med school. There are days i would pick said job over this. I hope MS4 isnt quite so bad.

MS4 is infinitely better than MS3, so hang in there! You start being given real responsibility for your patients, you're treated as a member of the team rather than an annoyance hanging around, and you get to focus on the parts of medicine you actually personally find interesting. MS3 is the worst part of med school by far; it's only up from there.

• Love

Very well said.

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody is saying medical school is amazing and easy. But it isn’t as bad as SDN makes it out to be. Nothing is as bad as SDN makes it out to be. And honestly playing soccer isn’t like this because at the end of the day that’s a game. This is a job. And when you come in to this having crap jobs, you’re a hell of a lot more thankful for this opportunity because the young professional life looks good on Facebook but it’s nothing incredible either.
Depends on the person.
I love medical school. Personally, the kinds of work I have to do here are easier than I've had to do before. I suffered far more with the academic structure in college (where I also think the content was harder) and even high school (purely from schedule and constant oversimplification). I don't feel like I'm drowning in the amount of content, I don't feel like the pace is crazy high, and I find the content fascinating enough that I accidentally study more often than intentionally. I have more free time, a better social life, and a better support network. My mental health has overall improved since I've been here (though it's had its ups and downs, like always).
I'm not always happy. That's not how humans work, and it's especially not how my brain works. But medical school hasn't been the source of unhappiness for me.

AND YET, I'd have to have zero empathy to not understand how, for different people with a different set of skills and values, the equation is much different. People would probably laugh at me for how much I struggled in college, but I legitimately did, and it had nothing to do with my ability to learn, and all to do with my specific weaknesses (time management, social skills, mental health, self care).

I love medical school. But for someone who finds the content dry and is purely interested in the clinical aspect, or for someone for whom memorization is a struggle and requires constant work, someone less familiar with the content to begin with, someone who requires homework and other practice material to learn, or simply someone who had a much kinder and easier path in undergrad because it fit them better...med school could easily suck. Someone whose school curriculum involves pointless busy work and MC exams on research minutiae...is probably gonna think it sucks. Someone with other priorities in their life that they feel they are sacrificing for medical school...is going to suffer more. And so on.

Let's stop talking about this like it's a one-size-fits-all, yes or no answer, "is med school difficult?" question. It's not. Humans are more complex than that. Different people are going to struggle with different parts of the path, and that doesn't mean any of them are less suited to be physicians. We NEED that diversity.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Oof, you said what I was saying, only much more succinctly and eloquently. :=|:-)::=|:-):

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a non trad career changer. I had a stressful back-breaking job with low pay and 50+ hrs/week + call for about 8 years prior to med school. I worked this job while attending college full time to get my BS and apply to med school. Between undergrad and my jobs crazy hours I sometimes didn’t sleep for a >30 hours straight. On the two days per month I had off from work if I caught up on my school stuff I just slept all day.

Medical school is worse than that for me. It’s cool if it’s not that bad for others. Maybe you’re just way smarter than me. More power to you! But that doesn’t invalidate my crappy experience in med school.

I thought my crazy previous work experience would make med school feel more chill for me than others who’d never had a real job before. I was dead wrong.

Side note: premeds have no business commenting on med students passion or commitment. It’s like a high schooler telling you getting a 40 on the mcat isn’t a big deal if you’re just passionate about the material. Y’all just don’t have a clue

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I’m a non trad career changer. I had a stressful back-breaking job with low pay and 50+ hrs/week + call for about 8 years prior to med school. I worked this job while attending college full time to get my BS and apply to med school. Between undergrad and my jobs crazy hours I sometimes didn’t sleep for a >30 hours straight. On the two days per month I had off from work if I caught up on my school stuff I just slept all day.

Medical school is worse than that for me. It’s cool if it’s not that bad for others. Maybe you’re just way smarter than me. More power to you! But that doesn’t invalidate my crappy experience in med school.

I thought my crazy previous work experience would make med school feel more chill for me than others who’d never had a real job before. I was dead wrong.

Side note: premeds have no business commenting on med students passion or commitment. It’s like a high schooler telling you getting a 40 on the mcat isn’t a big deal if you’re just passionate about the material. Y’all just don’t have a clue
It also definitely depends on what you want to go into. If you aren’t doing anything competitive it’s a hell of a lot more chill

Bless you.

3rd year is much worse for me than 1st or 2nd year were, especially since I want a competitive field.

You probably won’t know if you made the right decision until 1-2 years out of residency. I enjoy my job but if I had to work more days a month I probably would not.

Nearly done with 1st year. Med school sucks. I didn’t decide to go to medical school because I enjoy spending my weekends indoors studying, I decided to go to medical school to be a doctor and I recognize this is just another step on that path so I’ll push through. When you’re going though hell, keep going.

Reactions: 3 users