Question for current medical students- Did you make the right decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Umm I'm not sure what world you live in, but there's so many people with student loan debt out. I think the wealthier the bracket you were born in, the harder it is to see what average americans live like

First off, what a baselss and ignorant statement. All I said was that while most people 22-26 are making money, while we are continuing to accumulate debt. Nothing about 'no one' else having student loans.

Second, I couldn't even afford to go anywhere, but my state school because my parents did not contribute a cent to my undergrad. So miss with that ignorant bull****.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, what a baselss and ignorant statement. All I said was that while most people 22-26 are making money, while we are continuing to accumulate debt. Nothing about 'no one' else having student loans.

Second, I couldn't even afford to go anywhere, but my state school because my parents did not contribute a cent to my undergrad. So miss with that ignorant bull****.
So did many of my friends. That's tough, but you gotta remember many others are in similar situations that don't have the opprotunity to go to med school. All about perspective

The conversation evolving is always the same one that predominates these threads.

In medical school you are trading your 20's (or 30's, etc) for financial security and hopefully job satisfaction later in life. You literally miss out on the life of a normal young professional, regardless of the amount of money or reality of getting certain types of jobs. You will never be 25, 26, 27, etc ever again and in medical school you spend whatever years sitting alone in your apartment memorizing a million diseases accumulating debt. You don't have control over your time, where you live, when you can attend anything.

Sure, you can be a lawyer, computer programmer, financial analyst, grocery store clerk and go out with your friends, be in wedding parties, see your family, spend time with your SO. In medical school you don't have that freedom and that is exactly the sacrifice you make by attending medical school. Whether or not you make that sacrifice in other fields, or if the financial security of medicine is worth it, or whatever else is discussed is the exact point of the original question.

Problem is you won't find the answer to your question until years down the line when it's too late to change anything and you've already made the sacrifices.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So did many of my friends. That's tough, but you gotta remember many others are in similar situations that don't have the opprotunity to go to med school. All about perspective

I am very thankful to be in medical school and honestly love my undergrad. I wouldn't change a thing. I guess my point is, when you are 22-24 you likely still have friends, enjoy going out, and have lots of social opportunities. You will lose a lot of that due to time, but you will also miss out on a lot of things due to being poor.

I was lucky in that Med school came relatively easy to me and was able to match ortho. Had I not been lucky and had to slave to get the grades or didn’t match ortho. It would have unequivocally been absolutely the biggest waste of time and money on the planet.

Don't understand why you guys whine and complain. I can think of many other things that involve sacrifice. For example, there's this kid from my college that made the NHL 10 years back and who is doing quite well. The local paper wrote a story about him and all the sacrifices he made with hockey, about how he has to risk his body and his life every game. Boo ho, you have to stay in your apartment and study. Every single college student does what we do.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
Don't understand why you guys whine and complain. I can think of many other things that involve sacrifice. For example, there's this kid from my college that made the NHL 10 years back and who is doing quite well. The local paper wrote a story about him and all the sacrifices he made with hockey, about how he has to risk his body and his life every game. Boo ho, you have to stay in your apartment and study. Every single college student does what we do.

The NHL guy will have made tens of millions of dollars and retired by the time we make a cent and start paying off our 300k debt. Solid comparison

Reactions: 6 users
The NHL guy will have made tens of millions of dollars and retired by the time we make a cent and start paying off our 300k debt. Solid comparison
Don't focus on the money part of that conversation. Yes 80 million over 10 years is a lot, but you're not risking your life to make people happy. I'm not sure how much you know about sports, but you could easily lose your life during a game. It takes great maturity to be in the spotlight and in that position. Outside of preceptorship, we don't need to have a ton a displine around othes, we just gotta study, our only job

Don't focus on the money part of that conversation. Yes 80 million over 10 years is a lot, but you're not risking your life to make people happy. I'm not sure how much you know about sports, but you could easily lose your life during a game. It takes great maturity to be in the spotlight and in that position. Outside of preceptorship, we don't need to have a ton a displine around othes, we just gotta study, our only job
Bad comparison. How many doctors are actually passionate about their jobs? Tell me, probably not even close to half. NHL = a hobby that turned into a career. Most people are passionate about hobbies, owning their own business etc. Medicine, you only get a handful of passionate docs.

First 3 years of med school: mostly kept to myself, studied all the time, only hung out with my SO, rarely saw my friends. Was miserable.

Literally the past two weeks: making an effort to spend more time with friends even if it means doing fewer UWorld questions or OME videos or whatever -- happiness increased x1000.

I don't think it's a complicated formula -- it's just so easy to lose track of what's important when we focus so much on school and career.

Boo boo he’s “risking” his body. On the other hand, my physical and mental health has actually deteriorated by “staying in my apartment and studying.” It’s a totally unnatural and unhealthy way of existing.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m trying to withhold judgement until I get out of the hell of preclinical and start clerkships in a couple months, but at this moment I regret not just going to PA school, which was my original plan and debate that waged on for years.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m trying to withhold judgement until I get out of the hell of preclinical and start clerkships in a couple months, but at this moment I regret not just going to PA school, which was my original plan and debate that waged on for years.
Clinical is 10x worse that preclinical. Paying absurd tuition to be thrown a tidbit of knowledge every once in a while from a team that most of the time doesn’t even want you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
From a non-trad, the whole "young professional" life can be pretty overrated. Sure its fun but I know several people that bought too much into the big city life and had to move home with their parents because everyone felt the need to go out and do things during the week and it got too expensive. And the ones that stay downtown? They sit in their apartments too doing nothing but watching TV. There isn't some magic lifestyle you get to have as a young professional. Its the classic grass is always greener.

60k might seem nice now, but like its been mentioned we will quadruple that the minute we get out of residency. The debt burden is real but everyone seems to be able to pay it off okay so you can too right? Plus hey Elizabeth warren just threw out a plan to wipe student debt so that's fun.

It takes a while to get there, but I'll never go back to my manual labor and bottom of the barrel jobs because those people work their asses off for under 20 an hour. This is the best job in the world (for how attainable it is) that's why its so competitive. If it was easy everyone would do it

Reactions: 8 users
Boo boo he’s “risking” his body. On the other hand, my physical and mental health has actually deteriorated by “staying in my apartment and studying.” It’s a totally unnatural and unhealthy way of existing.
This post screams of sarcasm

You've been in med school for less than a year. I'm assuming you've never played in the NHL. You have limited experience in anything you're pushing. If you've had an easy first year, congrats. Your debt is going to increase 300%, your stress is going to incrementally increase, whats expected from you is never going to remit, and your ability to dictate how you spend your time is going to rapidly decline over the next 3 years. All before residency and all before you have made a dime.

By the way, one NHL player has ever died during a game. An EM doc was shot and killed just last year in the ED. Your argument is stupid

• Love
You've been in med school for less than a year. I'm assuming you've never played in the NHL. You have limited experience in anything you're pushing. If you've had an easy first year, congrats. Your debt is going to increase 300%, your stress is going to incrementally increase, whats expected from you is never going to remit, and your ability to dictate how you spend your time is going to rapidly decline over the next 3 years. All before residency and all before you have made a dime.

By the way, one NHL player has ever died during a game. An EM doc was shot and killed just last year in the ED. Your argument is stupid
Made a new thread, post this there

I do, there is also a difference in school length and student loan burden. There are different types of law from domestic to international. You can work in business law, finance law, medical malpractice, immigration, you can advocate for people who are trafficked (which is so sad to hear their stories), you can go into constitutional, criminal, etc. Also the potential for being a judge carries tremendous responsibility. I understand few lawyers become judges, but to establish precedent and interpret law for an entire county/city/state/nation is huge.

Hopefully money is not you motivation in pursuing medicine. I can give you anecdotal evidence about physicians that complain about being over worked and underpaid. Not the greatest argument, but I understand your point. Most of the crap that physicians deal with every day is to circumvent being sued. So we need reform to TORT.

I also mentioned finance like equity trading, FOREX, wealth management, options, commodities, etc. is that more palatable to you?
I do, there is also a difference in school length and student loan burden. There are different types of law from domestic to international. You can work in business law, finance law, medical malpractice, immigration, you can advocate for people who are trafficked (which is so sad to hear their stories), you can go into constitutional, criminal, etc. Also the potential for being a judge carries tremendous responsibility. I understand few lawyers become judges, but to establish precedent and interpret law for an entire county/city/state/nation is huge.

Hopefully money is not you motivation in pursuing medicine. I can give you anecdotal evidence about physicians that complain about being over worked and underpaid. Not the greatest argument, but I understand your point. Most of the crap that physicians deal with every day is to circumvent being sued. So we need reform to TORT.

I also mentioned finance like equity trading, FOREX, wealth management, options, commodities, etc. is that more palatable to you?
I can see finance, but not law. Finance also has low floors but incredibly high ceilings. My buds in finance work like absolute slaves from 22 years old till about early thirties and some past that which is really basically the same as medicine we also work like dogs for most of our twenties and early thirties but at the end of the day I think the satisfaction that someday well get to go home at the end of the day knowing that we served others and got well compensated for it is very rewarding at least for me. Our finance counterparts don't get an opportunity to say they went home at the end of the day regardless of their pay saying they actually served others by either saving their lives or improving their quality of life when in fact many of them go home knowing they screwed others just to make a buck. So no it is not all about money but in the end we know we served others and got paid very well for it-thus, if you were to ask me, medicine is the best profession in the world barring the ****ty paperwork and insurance nightmares

As an AMG MD M4 who went unmatched in EM this year and had to scramble into a transitional year residency with uncertain prospects of being able to match EM next cycle or ever again, I can now say that I greatly regret going to medical school. If you're like me and were dead set on a specialty at the beginning of M1, the gravity of an adverse match outcome (i.e. not matching into your preferred specialty or not matching at all) doesn't really hit you until fourth year, and by then it's way too late. While I enjoyed the journey of medical school nothing really prepares you for the bitterness, disappointment, and feeling like the last four years were a waste that results from a bad match. If I don't match into an EM residency next cycle I'm probably going to quit medicine altogether. Had I known this would happen I would have definitely NOT gone to medical school and made use of my background in tech.

If you're a flexible person, perhaps unsure about your preferred specialty and can honestly see yourself happy in more than one specialty then go for it. But if you're like me, stubborn, and can only see yourself happy in one specialty and your plan is to go through 4 years of medical school to only practice said specialty I would seriously, seriously think twice about jumping into the abyss that is an MD/DO as that plan can easily blow up in your face. You've been warned.

Can’t you do FM and work in an ER?

I don't think medical school itself is that hard. If you want to go into or will be fine going into community IM, FM, peds, pathology, low tier gen surg, ob-gyn, med school will be a piece of cake. On the other hand, if you want to go into ortho, plastics, neurosurg, med school will be one of the hardest things. Know what you want to get into and how hard you are willing to work.

When I say piece of cake, I mean in relative sense. If I only wanted to get 210-220 on step 1 and just wanted to pass all my rotations to get into FM or community IM somewhere, I could have taken a lot of weekend evenings off, have few hours down time to relax most days of medical school. It would have been like most jobs.
Family Medicine residency -> urgent care -> $$$
family medicine residency -> occupational medicine fellowship -> $$$
family medicine residency -> healthcare administration -> $$$

i don't see why people choose to be gunners

if psych gets to ortho/derm/plastics/optho competitiveness, I will be very happy with my FM residency lol. maybe even peds so I feel like I'm really making a difference, I always feel sorry for those kids in the children's hospital :(

Med students think that if they did not go to med school, they would have a job making 100k+/yr working 8-5pm M-F, having all the holidays off etc... True that we are a bunch of smart people, but most of us weren't going to have a job at 25 making 100k+/yr..
Yeah, I think more med students need to take gap years and work real jobs so that they realize how good they got it...

Last edited:
Family Medicine residency -> urgent care -> $$$
family medicine residency -> occupational medicine fellowship -> $$$
family medicine residency -> healthcare administration -> $$$

i don't see why people choose to be gunners

if psych gets to ortho/derm/plastics/optho competitiveness, I will be very happy with my FM residency lol. maybe even peds so I feel like I'm really making a difference, I always feel sorry for those kids in the children's hospital :(
I do not disagree. If people are more clear in what their goals are, I think med school can be a more enjoyable experience. I mean the gunners for competitive specialities have to work extra hard but I don't think everyone needs to.

I also think prestige, lifestyle all intertwine in making a speciality competitive. For example, derm and optho compared to ortho, cards, etc don't make that much money but have good lifestyle so are competitive.

I think money can be made anywhere. I mean you are FM doctor and you are willing to work weekends, come in early, stay till late you are going to make good money (basically if you work like a surgeon).

I do not disagree. If people are more clear in what their goals are, I think med school can be a more enjoyable experience. I mean the gunners for competitive specialities have to work extra hard but I don't think everyone needs to.

I also think prestige, lifestyle all intertwine in making a speciality competitive. For example, derm and optho compared to ortho, cards, etc don't make that much money but have good lifestyle so are competitive.

I think money can be made anywhere. I mean you are FM doctor and you are willing to work weekends, come in early, stay till late you are going to make good money (basically if you work like a surgeon).
oh yeah, I definitely wasn't disagreeing with you. I was quoting you for emphasis. I'm definitely gonna be one of the chiller med students lol, I simply cannot do stress. Type B all the way

Can’t you do FM and work in an ER?

And essentially be restricted to working in rural EDs (that are often dumpster fires) that will essentially hire anyone, and always be second-class in terms of prestige, job opportunities, and salary when compared to actual EM-boarded physicians? Nah. I'll pass.

I enjoy med school. I've never felt like I "wasted" my twenties (into the thirties for me)--I live in a cool city, made new friends, I still get to go out, go to most of my friend's weddings, go on the occasional vacation and stuff. Yeah sometimes school is stressful but so is having a job.

I don't feel like my friends who have similarly 'high powered' jobs (finance, consulting, law) are having more fun/happier than I am. They might own their houses and have more weekends free but it's not like they're going on monthlong pleasure cruises in Europe and dating multiple supermodels while working 20 hours a week remotely. They work long hours, they have to network and play the corporate promotion game, some get fired out of the blue, they have to travel, etc etc.

I think the people who burn out on medicine are the ones who went into it for the money and prestige (not always--but there are easier ways to make money and you become very aware of that fact during school), and those that except medicine to be this wonderfully fulfilling field that has no flaws, when it obviously has many.

I think the people who burn out on medicine are the ones who went into it for the money and prestige
this x1000. i burned out as a pre-med because I got all caught up in how long the path was, and I wasn't really doing it because I wanted it -- I was just doing it because my parents told me.

then I got my **** together and realized that medicine is a good gig (with its flaws). got in quite a number years later than the people who just go straight through, but I've matured a lot since then, and i'm sure it'll help me when things get tough.

medicine is no longer prestigious imo. everyone thinks doctors get paid too much anyways. patients want to replace us with midlevels and AI Robot Doctors because they think doctors are the most expensive part of the healthcare field!! lol
definitely don't do it for money

i think at some fundamental level, you have to enjoy taking care of people and find physiology at least somewhat intriguing. Otherwise you're in for a long grind

It sucks for me, and I fall into all the categories people above claim will make it better—interested in primary care/IM, in my 30s, worked since I was 14, “real jobs” as a Registered Nurse and a correctional officer in prison, in it for the doctor-patient relationship not money or prestige. It still sucks.

I am in the bottom half of my class at least but I decide to trade 2-4 hours a day of studying for things I enjoy doing such as frisbee and dancing and time with my SO. Medical school is the happiest I have been in my life. It's cool to learn about various diseases and also work towards something you have always wanted without the anxiety of if that goal will actually happen (premed). I know it gets harder but right now I am pretty happy. Will I be the doctor who knows the most or is the top of their field? probably not. But that's ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I am in the bottom half of my class at least but I decide to trade 2-4 hours a day of studying for things I enjoy doing such as frisbee and dancing and time with my SO. Medical school is the happiest I have been in my life. It's cool to learn about various diseases and also work towards something you have always wanted without the anxiety of if that goal will actually happen (premed). I know it gets harder but right now I am pretty happy. Will I be the doctor who knows the most or is the top of their field? probably not. But that's ok.
More power to you.

I think what frustrates most people about Med school is the time commitment and lack of productivity in their lives. Med school isn’t just rigorous, being a Med student in 3rd year hurts you down to your dignity. You are literally useless clinically, you really just want to leave to study for the shelf (which is the only thing that matters) and you want people to be merciful on their evaluations. After all that, you have take another board exam, apply to residency and hope someone sees you as competent enough to learn to take care of people.

Financially speaking, if you LIKE to work and you are fiscally driven about where you want to work AND you are financially smart (living on less that what you earn, saving and investing etc...) being a physician is hands down the best job there is. But you really need those three things. Otherwise, it’s a very poor financial decision.

I think what frustrates most people about Med school is the time commitment and lack of productivity in their lives. Med school isn’t just rigorous, being a Med student in 3rd year hurts you down to your dignity. You are literally useless clinically, you really just want to leave to study for the shelf (which is the only thing that matters) and you want people to be merciful on their evaluations. After all that, you have take another board exam, apply to residency and hope someone sees you as competent enough to learn to take care of people.

Financially speaking, if you LIKE to work and you are fiscally driven about where you want to work AND you are financially smart (living on less that what you earn, saving and investing etc...) being a physician is hands down the best job there is. But you really need those three things. Otherwise, it’s a very poor financial decision.
100% sums up why being a 3rd year student sucks. Although, I have gotten mostly honors, I believe removing evaluations (leaving comments) will really improve things. To get honors, I have to act smart and like I know everything even when I don't, ask questions in topics which I am already very good at and I don't participate in anything which I am not super confident in doing. One, this gets me honors and the residency I want but I think it's much better if I am not being evaluated because I will be able to ask whatever questions I want and actually make mistakes without the fear of my grade going down.

Also true about the financial aspect. If you want a low stress lifestyle, 3 years of a fairly decent residency (peds, FM) and going into outpatient practice is very much like most decent paying jobs. The ones that go crazy in this process I think are actually the ones that go into long, grueling residences even if they pay very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users

Obviously the landscape is changing in medicine, but I've always been told by practicing docs that you're able to tailor the way you practice to your liking, but you better be ready to take a pay cut if you work less. It is what it is...

Do you do Zanki or Bnb or study for boards?

Do you do Zanki or Bnb or study for boards?
Yes. I am not failing or close to failing. I do below average on exams. Someone has to. Some people know they want to be the top of their field or something. I am starting to see this for what it is. We are entering an awesome profession, but at the end of the day it will just be a job. That is the trend I am seeing amongst the attendings I am working with. No reason to give up my health, youth, and happiness for that.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Yes. I am not failing or close to failing. I do below average on exams. Someone has to. Some people know they want to be the top of their field or something. I am starting to see this for what it is. We are entering an awesome profession, but at the end of the day it will just be a job. That is the trend I am seeing amongst the attendings I am working with. No reason to give up my health, youth, and happiness for that.
This is the mindset that needs to come about for the majority of people

I love it. I am grateful every single day for this opportunity and let me tell you, nothing I’ve encountered in Med school will ever be as hard as some of the clinical work I did. 16 hour shifts for $12/hr and no end in sight will always be worse than this temporary challenge.

Reactions: 11 users
I love it. I am grateful every single day for this opportunity and let me tell you, nothing I’ve encountered in Med school will ever be as hard as some of the clinical work I did. 16 hour shifts for $12/hr and no end in sight will always be worse than this temporary challenge.
non-traditionals with their perspective :slap:

I don't think medical school itself is that hard. If you want to go into or will be fine going into community IM, FM, peds, pathology, low tier gen surg, ob-gyn, med school will be a piece of cake. On the other hand, if you want to go into ortho, plastics, neurosurg, med school will be one of the hardest things. Know what you want to get into and how hard you are willing to work.

What sucks actually is the debt burden. You simply cannot make any mistakes while or med school or can't escape it like other professions. Once you are in, you are in for a lifetime. Choose wisely.

When I say piece of cake, I mean in relative sense. If I only wanted to get 210-220 on step 1 and just wanted to pass all my rotations to get into FM or community IM somewhere, I could have taken a lot of weekend evenings off, have few hours down time to relax most days of medical school. It would have been like most jobs.
OB and GS piece of cake? You're still gonna need a heck of a lot higher than a 210-220 if you want to do either of those (more like mid 230s which is def not a piece of cake-def doable with some work but i wouldn't say piece of cake). Believe me I wish it was haha but I get your point

OB and GS piece of cake? You're still gonna need a heck of a lot higher than a 210-220 if you want to do either of those (more like mid 230s which is def not a piece of cake-def doable with some work but i wouldn't say piece of cake). Believe me I wish it was haha but I get your point
Yes I didn't say 210-220 for OB and GS. I said it for community IM and FM.
220-230 is also not that hard and I imagine is the score range for lots of students going to GS and OB (OB: 220 students in score range 221-230 and 166 students in score range 210-220). I imagine it's pretty similar for GS.
Now, this varies on each person's intelligence. I am talking only in my perspective and relative to the work I put in. If you want to go into Ob/Gyn, unless you want to go to the best program in the country, you can take it easy relative to someone going for ortho or derm. I see lot of times people stressing out, working extremely hard and being miserable when their goal is to get into an average FM program. If you want to work that hard, go for it but I don't think everyone needs to.

I think a 220-230 score goal would have made first 2 years much easier for me if that's what I wanted to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I didn't say 210-220 for OB and GS. I said it for community IM and FM.
220-230 is also not that hard and I imagine is the score range for lots of students going to GS and OB (OB: 220 students in score range 221-230 and 166 students in score range 210-220). I imagine it's pretty similar for GS.
Now, this varies on each person's intelligence. I am talking only in my perspective and relative to the work I put in. If you want to go into Ob/Gyn, unless you want to go to the best program in the country, you can take it easy relative to someone going for ortho or derm. I see lot of times people stressing out, working extremely hard and being miserable when their goal is to get into an average FM program. If you want to work that hard, go for it but I don't think everyone needs to.

I think a 220-230 score goal would have made first 2 years much easier for me if that's what I wanted to get.
now that were on the topic Is 230 good enough for low to mid/avg tier ACGME university IM for a DO student. Im a DO student and im bustin my ass because i want university IM but i dont wanna kill myself if i dont have to. I doubt a sub 230 would be good enough as a DO no?

Last edited:
Med school was sorta of a struggle bus for me in all aspect except for M3 and M4 so far. My grades were meh, my step was meh, matched into specialty of choice cause I think I got lucky and people tolerated me, lol. Will let you know in 7 years whether it's worth it or not. But I am soooo looking forward to residency this July.

Preach this is sage advice that more people should become comfortable with

Reactions: 3 users

Jesus Christ lol. God this generation is killing me and it sucks to be a part of it.

• Angry
oh yeah, I definitely wasn't disagreeing with you. I was quoting you for emphasis. I'm definitely gonna be one of the chiller med students lol, I simply cannot do stress. Type B all the way

If you cannot do stress then medicine is going to be hard for you. Grades arent the end all be all for med school. Then there comes residency.

Are you saying that in terms of agreeing with me? :)

Yes. Docs and Med students sacrifice sure, and reap the rewards of it in being amongst the most wealthy people in the country. Its not some other worldly sacrifice that med students make it seem like. Like literally the post I quoted, the person was making it seem like studying at home is emotional abuse lmao. Like holy hell

Yes. Docs and Med students sacrifice sure, and reap the rewards of it in being amongst the most wealthy people in the country. Its not some other worldly sacrifice that med students make it seem like. Like literally the post I quoted, the person was making it seem like studying at home is emotional abuse lmao. Like holy hell
Do you also agree that athletes contribute more to society than doctors? And that athletes are the one's that achieve the ultimately sacrifice? If you say yes you would make my day :)

• Haha
If you cannot do stress then medicine is going to be hard for you. Grades arent the end all be all for med school. Then there comes residency.
I hear you, I just think it's a different kind of stress. I'm good at handling work stress, I just don't like stressing myself out over grades all the time