Question: Gunning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Namie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear gunning a lot on this forum?

exactly what does it mean, and how do you do it? (it's about good grades and all)

Members don't see this ad.

If gunning gets you into med school go for it. You may make quite a lot of enemies along the way. Maybe even death threats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear gunning a lot on this forum?

exactly what does it mean, and how do you do it? (it's about good grades and all)

Tear others down to build yourself up.

It's an awful idea and is likely to backfire on you. You're much better off simply working hard, excelling on a level with which others simply cannot compete, and mentoring/helping others to succeed as well.

It's supposed to mean someone who is willing to "gun down" the competition just to get ahead by an inch, but in medical school it means "anyone whom I perceive to be studying more than me."

Perfect definition of gunning.

HERE

MY personal take? Gunners have one ultimate point of achievement they are working towards. They have 'blinders on' when it comes to everything else. They often sacrifice their own happiness and chance at a stable life to work nonstop towards this point of achievement. Although it is often the case - but in my opinion is not a requirement - will often put their own needs over the needs of others and hurt other people to work toward their goal.

MY personal take? Gunners have one ultimate point of achievement they are working towards. They have 'blinders on' when it comes to everything else. They often sacrifice their own happiness and chance at a stable life to work nonstop towards this point of achievement. Although it is often the case - but in my opinion is not a requirement - will often put their own needs over the needs of others and hurt other people to work toward their goal.

This is more being dedicated - which SDN now uses as a definition for gunning - rather than actually gunning (being malicious to your classmates in order to improve your own standing/performance).

This is more being dedicated - which SDN now uses as a definition for gunning - rather than actually gunning (being malicious to your classmates in order to improve your own standing/performance).

The latter definition is correct; Being malicious towards classmates without regard to their health (mentally or otherwise) for the mere goal of making yourself look better.

A lot of people get dedication and gunner mixed up because often being dedicated will cause a person to neglect others, but not maliciously harm them.

The latter definition is correct; Being malicious towards classmates without regard to their health (mentally or otherwise) for the mere goal of making yourself look better.

A lot of people get dedication and gunner mixed up because often being dedicated will cause a person to neglect others, but not maliciously harm them.

Exactly. Not being social with your classmates (which seems to be the threshold factor on SDN) and studying a lot doesn't mean your gunning.

Thanks for your responses to my comment guys. To clear up what I was trying to say - I believe the harm that gunners cause themselves is part of what defines a gunner, not that dedicated people are gunners. Sorry if that came off the wrong way it was early when I posted. :)

Exactly. Not being social with your classmates (which seems to be the threshold factor on SDN) and studying a lot doesn't mean your gunning.

what if you screw up the curve for everyone else?

Let's say a person gets 100/100 while the median is a 30/100 in an orgo test?

That person is just a poophead who ruins everything :mad:

Umm... that person was smart? That person knew their ****? I mean...really...what do you expect them to do? Intentionally get questions wrong just to "help" you out a bit?

That person is just a poophead who ruins everything :mad:

LOL...

Maybe you should study with that person. Maybe you should learn from him/her.

its-not-enough-that-I-should-succeed-others-should-fail.jpg

The way I understand it, a gunner is someone who will intentionally mislead their classmates in some way or another in order to get a slight edge on them. Often confused with a dedicated person, who simply puts a lot of hard work in to their studies etc in order to get ahead.

hypothetical Gunning example: Go into the lecture hall of your exam an hour early and write on the board that the exam was moved to a different room so a lot of people come late

hypothetical non-gunning example: Keep up with the material presented in class by studying every day and then getting a really high score and messing with the curve.