Question on eval letters for Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eventualeventer

Medical Tire Fire
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of a quandary regarding my Cornell app. I recently decided to go for it since, hey, I'm probably not going to get in anywhere, so might as well practice blowing my money. :scared: <-- I'm not sure even this face depicts the combined panic and sense of impending doom. I'm trying to tell myself that the supplemental apps I still have to wade through will give me practice for my next five tries.

Anyway, back to sounding like a relatively normal person. Most of my experience (animal and vet) is equine (clinical and some research), plus a genetics research project that was going great until I got pneumonia and was told in no uncertain terms to stay away from the lab with its mold problems (my flies like very high humidity and eat corn mush --> intractable mold issues). This pneumonia thing also wrecked the second half of my summer and any thoughts of getting more SA vet experience, since I've been sleeping 12+ hours/day since July. This is what I have for SA experience, and I'm not sure how/where to extract an eval letter by the end of October for Cornell's supp:
- volunteered with a therapy and assistance dog organization for a year, 5 years ago -- not sure anyone would remember me, and I was 16-17 then
- shadowed a SA vet for a total of 21 hours
- intermittent pet-sitting since I was a wee one -- I estimated several hundred (so not tons, but more than 21 h) hours, including farm-sitting and taking care of cats, dogs, horses, guinea pigs, and a gecko

So, it's not obvious to me who could write me a letter, especially since I am a bit bashful about asking for favors of people I don't know that well. Should I ask the SA vet, who is a FOAF but doesn't know me all that well? Should/could I ask a pet-sitting client? See if anyone remembers me at the dog place? Just go with my equine/research experience? Forget it all and go sell pineapples and bananas on the beach?:banana:
Thanks for the input. I think they make the application process so long so as to figure out who can take the stress and who turns into a raving maniac. It's a thin line.

Members don't see this ad.

how many hours did you get in the lab?

Of those experiences I'd say the genetics research sounds the most interesting and would be the best to obtain a LOR from.

PIs can tell a lot about a person from a few weeks of dedicated lab time, so if you were in there every day and they saw you were dedicated to the work, I think they should be able to write you a decent recommendation, despite the fact that you were unable to complete the research due to your illness.

I could be totally wrong, but I really thought that (at least last year) Cornell required letters for every animal experience you are listing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I do have a strong recommendation from the lab PI, and I spent several hundred hours working my tail off, so I'm good there.

Sorry for the confusing OP - StayingHopeful is right, Cornell requires a letter for each experience you list, so in Cornell's eyes I currently do not have any SA experience without asking for a recommendation letter from one of the sources listed above. I'm trying to figure out how important that is (since I do have 3500 hours equine vet experience at two different clinics, plus a few hundred hours of equine research, genetics research, and hundreds of hours of equestrian club animal experience, all of which I have letters for).

Yes, I do have a strong recommendation from the lab PI, and I spent several hundred hours working my tail off, so I'm good there.

Sorry for the confusing OP - StayingHopeful is right, Cornell requires a letter for each experience you list, so in Cornell's eyes I currently do not have any SA experience without asking for a recommendation letter from one of the sources listed above. I'm trying to figure out how important that is (since I do have 3500 hours equine vet experience at two different clinics, plus a few hundred hours of equine research, genetics research, and hundreds of hours of equestrian club animal experience, all of which I have letters for).

Cornell likes breadth so I would try to get a letter from each experience if possible. That said I ended up with some things on VMCAS that I couldn't list on Cornell since I couldn't get a letter (field work in costa rica from three years ago and no contact plus a bit of a communication issue) and as far as I know they didn't "count" that expereince but I am sure they still saw it.