Question on Experience Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avi670

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My question is about how to report my research experience on my application. I started working in a research lab on campus during summer getting paid as a full-time research assistant. After summer passed, I continued to work in the lab during the school year, but I was not being paid. During the school year I was just a volunteer. Now that it is summer again, I am getting paid again to work full time doing research. How would I indicate this on my application? Should I have two separate entries (one compensated and one volunteer) even though it is the exact same responsibilities and exact same research? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

easy. find average number of hours per week and compute the number of hours. Give an explanation that you were full-time during X periods and part-time during X-periods. you probably don't have to worry about specifying when it was paid and not paid

Since it isn't affiliated with school you should just put it all under the "research" catagory.

Members don't see this ad :)
easy. find average number of hours per week and compute the number of hours. Give an explanation that you were full-time during X periods and part-time during X-periods. you probably don't have to worry about specifying when it was paid and not paid
But do I catagorize it as compensated or volunteer?

are most hours you work compensated or not? if yes, I'd put it as work. IMO it looks better if it's compensated. but you can include at the end of description how many hours were compensated