This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeerHelpsMeStudy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to receive several interviews this cycle. I am excited to share more about myself, but I am also nervous about addressing some issues with my application. I didn't have the highest undergrad GPA ~3.7, but had an upward trend (which I referenced in supplemental essays as proof of my increasing maturity and readiness for the rigors of a medical education). However, this past semester and next semester, I am finishing up a pre-requisite for matriculation , Orgo Lab (1 credit each semester for a year total). This past semester, I got a B+. If the interviewer asks what I have been doing this semester (surely they will as I have taken a gap year off), I am afraid that the B+ will go against all that I have said about handling the rigor of med school. How will I be able to handle med school if I can't even get an A in a 1-credit Organic Lab (the only course I took last semester)? I learned a lot in the class and will obviously extrapolate on that, but I am just not sure of how much I should avoid (unless asked about) on this obviously red flag.

Edit: I was working 1 part time job (~28 hours/week), and volunteering as an EMT (~8 hours/week) and as a clinical research assistant (~12 hours/week) during the entire semester.

Members don't see this ad.

I got into a few MD schools with multiple B's and C's in prereq courses. Like you, I had ~3.7 with upward trend. Getting a B+ in orgo lab is totally fine. I doubt anybody's going to ask about it (most of my interviewers didn't even ask about my C's).

Reactions: 1 users
I have been lucky enough to receive several interviews this cycle. I am excited to share more about myself, but I am also nervous about addressing some issues with my application. I didn't have the highest undergrad GPA ~3.7, but had an upward trend (which I referenced in supplemental essays as proof of my increasing maturity and readiness for the rigors of a medical education). However, this past semester and next semester, I am finishing up a pre-requisite for matriculation , Orgo Lab (1 credit each semester for a year total). This past semester, I got a B+. If the interviewer asks what I have been doing this semester (surely they will as I have taken a gap year off), I am afraid that the B+ will go against all that I have said about handling the rigor of med school. How will I be able to handle med school if I can't even get an A in a 1-credit Organic Lab (the only course I took last semester)? I learned a lot in the class and will obviously extrapolate on that, but I am just not sure of how much I should avoid (unless asked about) on this obviously red flag.

Edit: I was working 1 part time job (~28 hours/week), and volunteering as an EMT (~8 hours/week) and as a clinical research assistant (~12 hours/week) during the entire semester.
a B+ is something they'll gloss over and not give much attention, especially if it's in Organic

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think getting a B+ in orgo lab is a pre requisite for medical school admission.. You'll be fine

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt they'll ask what your grades are in the classes you took this semester. Instead they might ask you what you have been doing this semester to which you can steer the convo towards your ECs that you are currently doing (ie: in addition to taking X classes, I'm also working at X, volunteering as an EMT, and doing clinical research (insert anecdotes)). Also, a B+, particularly in a class that many premeds struggle with, is not a big deal

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Stop panicking, because you're getting into delusional territory.