Questions about BOLC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Killer12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I don't receive a lot of communication from my recruiter or HPSP office so I apologize if these questions seem clueless. Also if some have been answered before, it'd be cool to have updated answers. Thanks!

Most importantly, where do I buy all the uniform items needed for BOLC? I saw the list in the handbook but it doesn't say where I get all that stuff. Do the people at whatever store you buy this from help you make sense of it all, as far as badges and name tags and stuff?

Other less important questions:
What are the odds I get my own hotel room? Seen mixed answers on this in past years. Curious as to what it was like in 2016.

Is this similar to boot camp in as far as getting yelled at and reminded of authority constantly?

Seeing as how I won't have a car or any way to get around on the weekends, would it be stupid to bring like an xbox or other forms of entertainment to pass the free time, or is there not that much free time?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

You will get yelled at for maybe 5 minutes on the first day. Plenty of free time, weekends usually off unless theyve changed it. Bring a car if you can, even though orders will probably say not to. You can use it on the weekend. Buy your uniforms there with someone who knows what theyre doing so you dont look all jacked up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

You will get yelled at for maybe 5 minutes on the first day. Plenty of free time, weekends usually off unless theyve changed it. Bring a car if you can, even though orders will probably say not to. You can use it on the weekend. Buy your uniforms there with someone who knows what theyre doing so you dont look all jacked up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

What he said

Also on Fort Sam there is a clothing store just past the exchange/mall on post. Best bet is to get there early since everyone else at BOLC will be buying uniform items as well and they may run out of stock.

If your list says to buy the PT Jacket/pants I'd skip that since you won't need it at fort sam. You likely can also forgo the dress blues, when I was there I don't think we ever wore them

Members don't see this ad :)
What he said

Also on Fort Sam there is a clothing store just past the exchange/mall on post. Best bet is to get there early since everyone else at BOLC will be buying uniform items as well and they may run out of stock.

If your list says to buy the PT Jacket/pants I'd skip that since you won't need it at fort sam. You likely can also forgo the dress blues, when I was there I don't think we ever wore them
Asu is now a graduation requirement. You can buy it there but if you show up for the last day without it you don't get processed as completing

Bring a car if you can, even though orders will probably say not to. You can use it on the weekend. e

Really BAD advice. If you drive and you are not authorized to drive on your orders the reimbursement for this trip will definitely be SERIOUSLY delayed and in the recent past, some have been denied altogether.

Contact a local Healthcare Recruiter, 1800-872-2769 ext 183. Explain your situation with the uniform and most are more than willing to help you buy what is on the packing list. At the very least get your name tapes and boots prior to leaving for BOLC. Also, if you haven't already, contact RAPIDS https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/self_service/rapids/unauthenticated?execution=e1s1 in order to secure your CAC. I also strongly recommend that you contact the ID card office for an appointment, you explain that you are in the scholarship program and ask that they ensure that you have been activated properly in DEERS and are eligible for a CAC. If not contact the HPSP office and they will direct you on how who to speak to about DEERS.

Reactions: 1 user
What he said

Thanks all. They seem pretty adamant in the handbook about acquiring all of that gear before I arrive, though. Where are they expecting I get it? Can I just go to a base w/o a current CAC and buy that stuff?

Thanks all. They seem pretty adamant in the handbook about acquiring all of that gear before I arrive, though. Where are they expecting I get it? Can I just go to a base w/o a current CAC and buy that stuff?
Most bases will have private stores nearby to buy stuff

I also want to reiterate boots. Buy them and walk in them now, 2 pair

Killer12 - Read this MS2's Blog https://sites.google.com/site/myarmyhpspexperience/time/to-do-list

You can get your ACU (OCP), Nametapes and PT uniforms from https://www.shopmyexchange.com/index.jsp but it might require a .mil email address to set up an account. If it requires a .mil email then ask one of your upperclass HPSP students, or recruiter, to log in to the website and you place the order for at least one set to 'get you by'. Or, contact your recruiter and go with them to the closest location for uniforms.

Get a pair of boots online at a vendor that accepts returns.

Make an app't at Marlowe White in Woodbridge VA to get your ASU. Go on a Saturday - It's three hours from you. They will fit you and mail it to you in a week or so. I don't recommend you order the ASU online and expect a good fit even if tailored locally. When in DC/VA try to get on a military installation with a Clothing Sales store with your DA71 and state ID if you don't have a CAC yet. Once you have your BOLC orders this should be easier.

Do what ArmyHPSP said and make an appointment for a CAC via Rapids - many have expressed difficulty lately with this but it's worth a try. Again, once Rapids confirms you are in the system correctly you should be able to get the CAC.

Are you going to the March course or this summer? If not going til summer you've got time to get this done in the Virginia/DC area or online. If in the March course just get it all at BOLC.

Really BAD advice. If you drive and you are not authorized to drive on your orders the reimbursement for this trip will definitely be SERIOUSLY delayed and in the recent past, some have been denied altogether.

Contact a local Healthcare Recruiter, 1800-872-2769 ext 183. Explain your situation with the uniform and most are more than willing to help you buy what is on the packing list. At the very least get your name tapes and boots prior to leaving for BOLC. Also, if you haven't already, contact RAPIDS https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/self_service/rapids/unauthenticated?execution=e1s1 in order to secure your CAC. I also strongly recommend that you contact the ID card office for an appointment, you explain that you are in the scholarship program and ask that they ensure that you have been activated properly in DEERS and are eligible for a CAC. If not contact the HPSP office and they will direct you on how who to speak to about DEERS.

I did this for BOLC. They said I wasn't authorized to drive because of the distance. F that. I was summering on the beach locally anyway already. I went with auto and everything was fine. I got a permit after showing orders to be there, done. They said I wouldn't get paid for the drive up. Oh no! Not getting reimbursed for some miles? They were shocked that I didn't care, like it's some great fortune vs not having a vehicle for 6 weeks or however long it was. I was not wasting time driving back to school just to fly back again. That was my story and I didn't budge. They were incorrect about where I was located and I was not flying from my university area. That's something else they didn't understand. Why I wasn't starting from the school location. It's called summer break for a reason homie.

--
Il Destriero

With respect, @IIDestriero, things have changed drastically in the last few years. DFAS would rather that everyone use DTS for travel, and the fact that the small HPSP population is still using travel vouchers seems to rub them the wrong way. They quite literally have denied all travel reimbursements not just the mileage to those who travel outside of their orders. For those in the Army, the Command at HRC is not sympathetic nor are they inclined to amend orders after the fact because of this reason. At the very least it will take much longer to get reimbursed for weekend meals at BOLC or, for per diem and hotel for other ADT sites.

Again, with respect, I'm stating the reality of the recent past.