Questions for current or former Air Force and Navy docs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemTeachGuy

Reaction score
So I am currently submitting a package for both CSO and NFO. I also have Pilot down for both, but my recruiters say my packages leans heavily towards the former.
Should I not get Pilot and go CSO or NFO, I plan to go to medical school after my commitment. I am just having difficulty deciding between the two branches.

I like the NFO mission better (growler is my favorite airframe), as the CSOs I have talked to have said it still focuses too heavily on navigation for their liking with very few “fun” slots coming out of training.
However looking forward to the future, is Air Force medicine better than Navy? I plan to be a flight doc for a while either way.

Also a few questions from my wife: Those who are current or former Air Force or Navy docs, where were you stationed and how much choice did you have? Any assignments in the UK? Which is better for a family? (I know I can search, she made me put these)

Members don't see this ad.

Imagine if a highschool freshman told you they were going to date a cheerleader, bang her at prom, mary her, pop out 3 kids, and retire to the Bahamas and then asked you which cheerleader they should date. That's what it sounds like when people come in with plans to be committed to a military career for 2 decades before they've spent a single day in the military.

I can't help you with the CSO vs NFO vs pilot question. I can say that you need to simplify your decision by not worrying about what branch you want to be a flight surgeon in. You can be a Navy flight surgeon after serving in the Air Force and vice versa. Worry about what branch you want to fly airplanes in for the next decade. Worry about all the medical career once your first career is winding down.

Reactions: 1 user
Imagine if a highschool freshman told you they were going to date a cheerleader, bang her at prom, mary her, pop out 3 kids, and retire to the Bahamas and then asked you which cheerleader they should date. That's what it sounds like when people come in with plans to be committed to a military career for 2 decades before they've spent a single day in the military.

I can't help you with the CSO vs NFO vs pilot question. I can say that you need to simplify your decision by not worrying about what branch you want to be a flight surgeon in. You can be a Navy flight surgeon after serving in the Air Force and vice versa. Worry about what branch you want to fly airplanes in for the next decade. Worry about all the medical career once your first career is winding down.

I have gotten the feeling from a couple conversations that people do not typically move to another branch. Not saying I would, but it is possible to go be a doctor in another branch after finishing the commitment for either CSO or NFO? Would this require a formal separation from the military and then going through HPSP or USUHS?

Members don't see this ad :)
NFO = no future occupation.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a pilot and doc in the Navy. I have no idea what it means if a recruiter says your package looks better for CSO or NFO. Both services are hemorrhaging pilots. If you want pilot, and are qualified, then go for it. If you want to back seat, that is cool too. I think the commitment is shorter.

The odds of getting a fighter type aircraft in either service are based entirely on your performance and the needs at the time. The only part of that you can control is your performance. But for both services they have more back seaters in the big wing airplanes than in fighter types.

I know a Navy pilot who went to USUHS as an Army medical student. I also know a Coast Guard pilot who went to USUHS as an Army medical student. I also know an Air Force pilot who is now a Navy psychologist. I know a Navy doc who switched to Air Force. In general people stick with their service; sometimes people switch for a variety of reasons. Focus on where you want to be an aviator. If you still want to do medicine later you can decide to stay with that service, switch or get out completely.

I don’t think we have much in England for aviation right now so odds of the UK are slim to none.

As for Navy vs Air Force I will copy and paste a letter that was written to a young man who was accepted to both service academies. It was written in 2004, after I had already joined, by a career Navy pilot who did an exchange tour with the Air Force. In my experience, it is pretty accurate. While I haven’t done a full exchange tour with the Air Force I have trained with them to fly the F-16 (see my profile pic) and done deployments with them.

Young Man,

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies. Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice. Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black shoes (surface warfare) and bubble heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times. You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your a$$ until you become a lethal force. And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

Banzai

P.S.: Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I have gotten the feeling from a couple conversations that people do not typically move to another branch. Not saying I would, but it is possible to go be a doctor in another branch after finishing the commitment for either CSO or NFO? Would this require a formal separation from the military and then going through HPSP or USUHS?

People don't switch often because they get comfortable in what they know and don't want to lose credit for the skills they are qualified in or their "street cred". Neither is super relevant when you are making a change as large as switching to the Medical Corp. This all assumes you even want to be a physician anymore once you're a decade into a respectable career doing cool things, making decent money, and likely have a family you've already spent too much time apart from. There is nothing stopping anyone from switching after your initial obligation is done and many people do. You resign your commision and re-join anyway when you switch to being a physician in your branch of choice's Medical Corps.

Find the best pilot/navigator forum and discuss there. You’ll get a better yield. Both Air Force and navy medicine are good. By the time you have to worry about it we might be one big happy DHA family anyway. Let us know when you are applying to med school and we can update you on what’s going on. Right now everything we say likely won’t apply.

Baseops.net and Airwarriors.com