Questions For VMCAS Staff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Speaking about issues with the formatting of the student printed version of our VMCAS applications:

Is anyone else getting a printed version with all of their coursework and experience listings out of chronological order? :hungover:

Yes! I printed my application and my coursework and experience was definitely out of chronological order. Weird!
I wonder if it will do this when we submit it?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! I printed my application and my coursework and experience was definitely out of chronological order. Weird!
I wonder if it will do this when we submit it?

Yeah. I hope not! Especially after the instructions were so clear about listing experiences in chronological order or in order of importance and coursework exactly as it appears on the transcript :lame:

I know this has probably been asked before, but where does AP credit go? I transferred after the first semester to another university. Should I put it with the first college, or the one I'm graduating from now?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: here's the reply I received from VMCAS about the chronological order issue:

"When you print a copy of your application, you access a printer friendly version of the application. Upon completing/submitting an application, schools have immediate web access to your application. When the printed version of your application is sent to your schools, they will not view the version that you have, but they will view the printed "Web Version" of the application (exactly as you have completed online)"

:thumbup:

So, I am planning on taking a couple of online courses over the fall and winter, to fulfil Physiology and Animal Nutrition pre-requisites.

I would be taking them through schools that so far I have never taken any classes at (OKSU and Breyer State).

I have NOT yet signed up for these classes.

Should I add the two schools to my "institutions attended" list, and then put the classes on the Coursework section as a "planned" semester?

Or should I just not put them on the website application at all, since I have not yet attended these schools or even signed up for the classes? I have listed these classes on Supplemental Applications that ask for this type of information.

Thanks for any help!

So, I am planning on taking a couple of online courses over the fall and winter, to fulfil Physiology and Animal Nutrition pre-requisites.

I would be taking them through schools that so far I have never taken any classes at (OKSU and Breyer State).

I have NOT yet signed up for these classes.

Should I add the two schools to my "institutions attended" list, and then put the classes on the Coursework section as a "planned" semester?

Or should I just not put them on the website application at all, since I have not yet attended these schools or even signed up for the classes? I have listed these classes on Supplemental Applications that ask for this type of information.

Thanks for any help!

I have the same exact question. And I'm trying to look on the bright side, but what if the college that we are taking these for rejects us before we even sign up to take the class. Are we obligated to complete them in order to keep any acceptances we do get later?

I think I read somewhere on here that if I submit my application before my evaluations are all complete, the schools won't get my later-submitted evaluations. Is that true, or are the evaluations sent on later, as completed? I guess I don't understand why that would be true, since what would be the point of letting you submit it before the evaluations are submitted if the schools aren't going to get the evaluations?

Thanks so much! Y'all have been great!

Here's a question I'm afraid to hear the answer to. What if one of your evaluators flakes out on you, but you already submitted the application? I don't know for sure this is what's happening, but this professor has had a long time to write this letter, and now isn't responding to my attempts at contacting him. :eek:

I'm absolutely freaking out that this one letter will prevent me from applying to vet school. I already submitted the VMCAS application. Is there any way to delete an evaluator and replace them with a new one?

I think I read somewhere on here that if I submit my application before my evaluations are all complete, the schools won't get my later-submitted evaluations. Is that true, or are the evaluations sent on later, as completed? I guess I don't understand why that would be true, since what would be the point of letting you submit it before the evaluations are submitted if the schools aren't going to get the evaluations?

Nope, don't worry. If you submit your application before your evaluations are complete they just don't send it to the schools until the evaluations are done. Just make sure they're in on time! I'm still waiting on one...

Regarding the personal statement questions above: I'm having our programmers look into this. It's possible that there is a formatting issue with the student version of the printed applications. All of the applications that we've printed and sent to schools appear to be formatted correctly. However, let me get back to you once I have the geeks review.

Thanks - VMCAS001

Any updates on resolving this issue? Im having the same problem...

On a side note...where did VMCAS001 go, did we scare them off?? heh

Once the evaluator has submitted, can they go back and edit/change anything? Just wondering...

Thanks

Once the evaluator has submitted, can they go back and edit/change anything?

Answer:
Once the evaluation is submitted changes cannot be made. This is because (again like the application) once it is submitted, it is available for download by the schools are you are applying to.

VMCAS answered within 45 minutes...pretty good I'd say

i emailed vmcas to ask, but never heard back. i think all justification issues we notice are printer friendly issues. makes editing a challenge, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been referring to my last year's application to work on this years, and as anyone who applied last year knows this year's application looks completely different. Where is the Identification Section? When I looked at the print version it just has my name and ID # at the very top in large letters- is that all there is? No specific ID section?

Yes, you can absolutely submit your application prior to evaluations being completed. However, VMCAS does not send applications to schools until the requirement of three received evaluations has been met.

If you have three submitted (and have more registered) your application will be marked as 'complete' and sent to schools.. the other evaluations will be forwarded to all your schools as they come in.

Hope that helps!

VMCAS001

Hi Turnandburn,

You're right, this year's application is different as well as many of the rules of applying (like no paper evaluations). Regarding the identification section..what information was in last year's identification section?? That way I can point you to where that information is on the new application.

Thanks,

VMCAS001

I've been referring to my last year's application to work on this years, and as anyone who applied last year knows this year's application looks completely different. Where is the Identification Section? When I looked at the print version it just has my name and ID # at the very top in large letters- is that all there is? No specific ID section?

Hi Turnandburn,

You're right, this year's application is different as well as many of the rules of applying (like no paper evaluations). Regarding the identification section..what information was in last year's identification section?? That way I can point you to where that information is on the new application.

Thanks,

VMCAS001

It just had vmcas ID, last first and middle names, suffix, and email. It was the very first section of the application.

Ahhh, no such luck in scaring me off.. sorry. As you know,we're edging into the two-week before deadline period.. it's just more difficult to get here and answer the email coming in to VMCAS and phone calls.. my apologies for the absence.

In our investigations, we've noted that the print version that applicant print and the school copies do have differences. We're working on getting them to print the same way.

DO NOT LET THIS HOLD UP YOUR SUBMISSION !!

VMCAS001

Any updates on resolving this issue? Im having the same problem...

On a side note...where did VMCAS001 go, did we scare them off?? heh

This information is entered in the Address and personal information sections of the application. And is printed on the first page of the printed application.

VMCAS001

It just had vmcas ID, last first and middle names, suffix, and email. It was the very first section of the application.

First of all, there will be NO FREAKING OUT!

To answer your question, even after submitting your application, you have access to the evaluator section. You may delete and add to your heart's content.

VMCAS001

Here's a question I'm afraid to hear the answer to. What if one of your evaluators flakes out on you, but you already submitted the application? I don't know for sure this is what's happening, but this professor has had a long time to write this letter, and now isn't responding to my attempts at contacting him. :eek:

I'm absolutely freaking out that this one letter will prevent me from applying to vet school. I already submitted the VMCAS application. Is there any way to delete an evaluator and replace them with a new one?

This information is entered in the Address and personal information sections of the application. And is printed on the first page of the printed application.

VMCAS001

Sorry I'm probably being way overly paranoid about this... :oops:

But the address section only asks for any *other* names you've ever used in school. So this "Identification" information- where do I edit it? Is that the same information in the My Profile - Account Information section? Where my username is also listed? :confused:

Hello, all! I guess this thread will give us an idea of who waited until the last minute. :oops:

I typed my PS into notepad and pasted it into VMCAS--4997 characters. When I click submit, I get the red flag that my PS has to be under 5000 characters.

Then I typed directly into VMCAS--4997 characters. I still get the red flag that my PS is too long. :eek:

What do I need to do?

Last edited:
Hello, all! I guess this thread will give us an idea of who waited until the last minute. :oops:

I typed my PS into notepad and pasted it into VMCAS--4997 characters. When I click submit, I get the red flag that my PS has to be under 5000 characters.

Then I typed directly into VMCAS--4997 characters. I still get the red flag that my PS is too long. :eek:

What do I need to do?

Are you putting it into the correct text box? I accidently put my PS into the explanation statement spot and was wondering why it didn't fit!!! :laugh:

Other than that, I have no idea!!! :confused:

To edit First, Last, email etc... you'd go to "my profile" and select "account information". Sorry for the confusion!

VMCAS001

Sorry I'm probably being way overly paranoid about this... :oops:

But the address section only asks for any *other* names you've ever used in school. So this "Identification" information- where do I edit it? Is that the same information in the My Profile - Account Information section? Where my username is also listed? :confused:

Are you putting it into the correct text box? I accidently put my PS into the explanation statement spot and was wondering why it didn't fit!!! :laugh:

Yep. It's in the right box.

What do I need to do?

How about try not spacing twice after the period. Do just one space if you haven't already

If you've already tried the single spacing between sentences idea can you maybe shorten veterinarian to vet in a case or two. It's such a small change but it helped me out. It seems like VMCAS doesn't like statements that close to the limit. :cool:

So you guys are telling me that even though it's under 5000 characters and there are no hidden characters because I didn't use Word, I still need to shorten it??? How many characters do you think is the true max?

Thank you!

--I just removed a phrase and cut it to 4962. That worked. It really bothers me that I had to lose those 30 characters though.

Last edited:
Hey VMCAS,

Thanks for all your help- quick question...

The background: My school (as I think many applicants' schools are) is on the "unit" system instead of the credit hour system. Each course earns 1 or 0.5 units. Additionally our year is broken into 2 semesters (not trimesters or quarters).

This may be obvious to everyone but me... but...

In the portion of the VMCAS where I list my coursework, should I classify my term types as "semesters" or "units".

Many thanks... Barnaby

I just printed off my application and all of my experiences were all out of order! They are in the same order on the website but totally scrambled on my application! All the vet stuff is still together, and the animal stuff, etc, but within those categories everything is out of order! Is this a problem?

I just printed off my application and all of my experiences were all out of order! They are in the same order on the website but totally scrambled on my application! All the vet stuff is still together, and the animal stuff, etc, but within those categories everything is out of order! Is this a problem?
Not a problem - a whole slew of us have already encountered this problem and discussed on this thread (and perhaps on others)...it seems like the version we as applicants can print is different in formatting than the version that schools receive. Not something to lose sleep over :)

When entering a grade for AP courses from high school, should I select "Credit" or "No Grade" from the drop-down menu?

Same question for an "In Progress" grade. One year I took a two-semester pass/fail course, and we got "IP" on the transcript for the first semester and "Pass" after the second. Is "IP" closer to "No Grade" or to "Credit?" Thanks!

VMCAS001 must be swamped, poor thing! I'm hoping to submit asap though.. what did everyone else put as the grade for AP classes?

Last edited:
Not a problem - a whole slew of us have already encountered this problem and discussed on this thread (and perhaps on others)...it seems like the version we as applicants can print is different in formatting than the version that schools receive. Not something to lose sleep over :)

For some closure on this issue, here's the reply to an email I sent VMCAS about this issue:
"Our apologies for any worry this caused. The print preview will re-arrange some of the order of your coursework and experiences. However, the way you have entered the information on your application is exactly the way it will be sent to your designated schools.
Please feel free to contact us using the contact information provided below if you have any other questions."

I was having the same problem, but received this email yesterday so I went ahead and clicked submit! Hopefully it all works out :)

Ok, so I submitted mine application, payed the fees but I want to make sure its getting sent out (i have all my evaluators in), when I look at the college designations it says:

Program Name Date
Designated Mailing
Date Mailing Status University of Wisconsin 09/22/2008 09/22/2008 New Washington State University 09/22/2008 09/22/2008 New
Does that mean they have been sent?, I was a little concerned cause when i logged on today the E-submit button was still there (I thought you could only submit it once)

Your ability to e-submit referrs to your ability to make changes to your evaluators and to personal information. No worries there. Yes, your account has been completed and sent to schools on those dates (2nd day.. so they should've arrived by 9/24). "NEW" refers to a new application as opposed to a "revised" application.

I just submitted my VMCAS application today --- i wasn't aware that the application was "mailed" -- i thought it was sent electronically to the vet med colleges once you e-submit. My status on it says "not mailed" -- will it reach my designations in time by Oct. 2nd!? i have all my eLORs in... will it look bad to vet med colleges that my application came in later than those that sent it in weeks ago?

Your ability to e-submit referrs to your ability to make changes to your evaluators and to personal information. No worries there. Yes, your account has been completed and sent to schools on those dates (2nd day.. so they should've arrived by 9/24). "NEW" refers to a new application as opposed to a "revised" application.

Many of the Vet Schools request that we send paper applications as back up for the electronic application files that we send to them. You will not have any problem since your application was completed prior to the deadline date. As for "looking bad" .. fear not.. all applications that are complete before deadline are weighed equally.

VMCAS001

I'm going to be trying to add a school designation at the very last minute hoping that my transcripts and GRE scores will beat VMCAS to the school (otherwise my application will be thrown out). If I submit late tomorrow or early Thursday when will my application be mailed out from VMCAS? Basically is it going to take a while for VMCAS to process the huge load of last minute submissions and I might be lucky enough to have the school not be able to get it before the middle of next week?

AHHHHHHH!!!!