Questions to ask DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylor92107

surfing to success
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be shadowing a COMP graduate tomorrow. I have a few questions in mind to ask her but I was wondering if anyone has any additional question suggestions? COMP is definetly my number one choice. First because I lived 1/2 a mile away from COMP all my life (I only recenlty moved) and second because I need to stay in Cali because my dad is really sick. I guess what I'm saying is that this shadowing experience is really important becase I want to get a good letter of recommendation so any suggestions you guys may have will really help.
Thanks!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

What is the DO profession like now?

What are the drawbacks, if any, to becoming a DO?

How do you deal with the death of a patient?

How do you balance family time verses patient time?

How did you find your experience with the education you received at COMP? Was it a postive place to learn? What are the negatives if any?

Just some things that come to my mind. Good luck and have fun shadowing.

taylor92107 said:
I am going to be shadowing a COMP graduate tomorrow. I have a few questions in mind to ask her but I was wondering if anyone has any additional question suggestions? COMP is definetly my number one choice. First because I lived 1/2 a mile away from COMP all my life (I only recenlty moved) and second because I need to stay in Cali because my dad is really sick. I guess what I'm saying is that this shadowing experience is really important becase I want to get a good letter of recommendation so any suggestions you guys may have will really help.
Thanks!!! :D
Hey taylor. I didn't know you lived so close to COMP. All the decent apartments are at least 3 miles away. You would save so much money going there.

I remember you said you were on hold and waiting till March to hear something. Did you end up getting an interview or are you now waiting till next cycle to apply to COMP?

My DO letter was from a COMP graduate also. My interviewer at COMP actually worked with him in training residents so that definitely helped me out. All I can say is be nice, ask questions about what she did with each patients after.

Generally in shadowing, you shouldn't interrupt the doctor just to ask a question when she's seeing a patient. You would ask your question after. Of course if the doctor explains to you right there while seeing the patient that would be best. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amy...thanks for the questions!
Adapt....actually, I lived in Pomona till I was 23, than I moved down here to San Diego. I must say...part of me dreads having to move back there, but at least I'll be close to my family again. I haven't heard from COMP yet but I've been calling. I'm going to their conference this weekend with hopes to talk to the admissions director (Susan). Your so lucky to have gotton that letter of rec. I think a letter from a COMP grad is like gold...as long as you have decent stats. My letter came from some friend of the family who had just got her MD like 1 month before she wrote the letter. I think if I get a better letter and apply earlier I'll have a better chance. Lets hope so. By the way...I like your new name....but slickness was pretty cool.

taylor92107 said:
Amy...thanks for the questions!
Adapt....actually, I lived in Pomona till I was 23, than I moved down here to San Diego. I must say...part of me dreads having to move back there, but at least I'll be close to my family again. I haven't heard from COMP yet but I've been calling. I'm going to their conference this weekend with hopes to talk to the admissions director (Susan). Your so lucky to have gotton that letter of rec. I think a letter from a COMP grad is like gold...as long as you have decent stats. My letter came from some friend of the family who had just got her MD like 1 month before she wrote the letter. I think if I get a better letter and apply earlier I'll have a better chance. Lets hope so. By the way...I like your new name....but slickness was pretty cool.
Yea I like both names. :)

The COMP grad who wrote me the letter happened to me by family physician and for 2 years I didn't even know he was a DO. :laugh:

Hopefully you have some luck talking to Susan. Just to give you some background info, there was an email sent out to all of the class of 2008 and there were about 210 names. That is above their class number but remember that many people will probably withdraw. If not this year, I am sure you'll get in next year. :thumbup: