1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

quick question... for all you bio nerds

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by OhNoway, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhNoway

Removed

Pre-Medical
    On the serious NOTE

why is it that when you take a big dump you get light headed?

Serious NOTE

2. vlct0ria

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    hmmm...maybe if your squeezin too hard blood rushes away from your head....just a guess haha

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    To put more blood in your internal and external anal sphincter doesn't slam shut. Note, this is why your bowls are tappered

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 189362

Pre-Medical
    Vagus response. You Push Push Push on your vagus nerve then you get up and it causes a severe case of orthostatic hypotension.

I dont know, educated guess, I guess..?

5. appleonius

appleonius Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i agree to the orthostatic hypotension (maybe b/c the OP is sitting on the toilet so long), but how does the Vagus N get pushed on?

6. Mazmel

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    in EMT school they taught us that the vagus nerve is pushed on when you take a dump. that is why some old people are scared to go to the bathroom without someone around- in case they die on the toilet. EMTs often find dead old people on the toilet. true stuff!

7. bjhath

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    would you find such educated discourse about poop!

And still others who find it entertaining! Thanks. :D

8. dentstd

dentstd Fena Gonzales
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Um, what? I never get light-headed taking a dump. But I guess it's possible you crap bigger turds than normal.

Or because the body shunts blood from the systemic to the GI system. That shunt may, in the short term, consequently decrease intracranial blood pressure, making you feel light-headed.

9. dentstd

dentstd Fena Gonzales
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I seriously doubt it's the vagus, because the anal sphincter's under somatic control (and for a good reason!).

10. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Maybe you're trying so hard with your abdominal press that you just forget to breath?

11. DrSphinx

DrSphinx Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    This is actually only half true. The internal anal sphincter is entirely involuntary in nature, the external anal sphincter is voluntary.

Not really sure about the vagus but it is a justifiable answer since it does innervate parts of the large intestine.

yay anatomy and gastrointestinal physiology courses...college at its finest!

12. Albuterol

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Seems the OP recently passed out on the bowl and is trying to get to the bottom of this.

13. Chesnok

Chesnok Waiting game has ended
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    OK, don't start humiliation now, it's a scientific q :)

14. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    To the OP, you may be getting light headed if you're relying too much on the Valsalva maneuver. You may want to increase the amount of fiber in your diet. I suggest a half cup of Quaker old fashion oats per day. If you are really clogged I would also recommend a Monster engergy drink with 1-2oz of almonds.

15. SnohSeason

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    agreed. Maybe you're pushing so hard you're holding your breath.

16. mena22787

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i believe it also has something to do with breathing--i think that when you have a bowel movement, your vocal cord thingamajig closes to increase abdominal pressure and therefore help push the feces out of the rectum. thus, a lack of breathing may cause the dizziness experienced...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.