Quitting scribe job after 4-5 months?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aethermist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel awful about this, but I may have to quit scribing much earlier than intended. However, I really don't want to be considered a "quitter" given my already questionable background. (Long story short, I finished a semester of pharmacy school but decided it really wasn't right for me so withdrew.) I started working as a scribe about a month ago and absolutely love the doctor I work for but situations have changed. I originally planned to stay for 2 years (applying for med schools next cycle) but I've recently decided to pursue a masters in the fall instead. I'm taking the MCAT in August so I was going to leave in July (which would place me at about the 6 month mark). However, typing all day long in awkward positions has really taken a toll on me and I'm starting to develop carpal tunnel (tingling, numbness, the whole fun shebang). I don't know how much longer I can do this for without really injuring myself. I was thinking I may leave earlier (May or June) which would give me some extra time to study for the MCAT. I will also be able to volunteer a bit more (I volunteer at a hospice and a homeless shelter right now.) Will this seem like a lack of commitment on my part to the adcom? Will leaving at 4 months vs 5 vs 6 months be a huge difference? I'm working full time so after 4 months I will have over 500 hours as a scribe.

Members don't see this ad.

You can’t let a $12/hr job keep you from pursuing your higher education. The company you work for DOES NOT CARE about you or your goals AT ALL.

Cut the cord and do what you have to do for your own future.

Reactions: 2 users
You can’t let a $12/hr job keep you from pursuing your higher education. The company you work for DOES NOT CARE about you or your goals AT ALL.

Cut the cord and do what you have to do for your own future.
I guess I'm more worried about how leaving in 4/5 months will be perceived by medical schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt they will care. People leave jobs all the time for numerous legitimate reasons. Even if they do care, the rest of your education is more important anyway. Better to have them possibly speculating about a job than tossing your app in the trash because your academics are inadequate.

I guess I'm more worried about how leaving in 4/5 months will be perceived by medical schools

I would hope they perceive 4/5 months as greater than 0 months. Since they accept people with 0 months of scribing, I can't imagine 3-6 months being too bad.

My response from 2 view points:

That of a medical student: absolutely do what you feel is best for you. If that means quitting your scribe job then do it.

From a scribe manager standpoint: PLEASE let us know before you leave. There is nothing worse than a scribe giving a 2 days notice. For normal positions, 2 weeks is customary. I would give your management team as much notice as you possibly can.

My response from 2 view points:

That of a medical student: absolutely do what you feel is best for you. If that means quitting your scribe job then do it.

From a scribe manager standpoint: PLEASE let us know before you leave. There is nothing worse than a scribe giving a 2 days notice. For normal positions, 2 weeks is customary. I would give your management team as much notice as you possibly can.

I don't know why you ever became a "scribe manger" (chief scribe?). The minute increase in pay for the amount of responsibilities is even worse than just being a regular scribe. Maybe it depends on your scribing company.

Being a chief scribe is almost asking for a career in scribing rather than a career as a physician. At some point, you just have to focus on med. school...

Last edited:
I don't know why you ever became a "scribe manger" (chief scribe?). The minute increase in pay for the amount of responsibilities is even worse than just being a regular scribe. Maybe it depends on your scribing company.

Being a chief scribe is almost asking for a career in scribing rather than a career as a physician. At some point, you just have to focus on med. school...

The 6 extra dollars an hour when I have already been admitted to med school makes it worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
The 6 extra dollars an hour when I have already been admitted to med school makes it worth it.

If one lacked leadership roles, it could also bolster those stats.

Being a regular scribe is already a position most scribing companies take advantage of, and being a chief scribe would cause more headaches than 6 more dollars an hour would be worth in my opinion.

It all comes down to who your scribing company is, your chief scribe is, and who your physician is. If you have an emotional chief scribe with a fast-paced unforgiving physician, then things could go downhill real fast.

In fact there's a thread on SDN for people who have failed as scribe get accepted and do well in medical school/ as a physician. That alone should tell you how stringent the position can be. Again, it depends on a lot of factories, but it almost seems commonplace for scribes to have a hard to transition to the practice.

Chief scribes and the physicians expect a newly hired scribe to be proficient in scribing after floor training, or the week while while solo scribing. Its a ridiculous notion. As someone who has taught 1,000+ university chemistry students as an instructor, I can tell you that people aren't robots, and its going to take a few months to produce a proficient scribe from scratch.

I would say to anybody looking at a scribe position to earn the hours/months you think will look good on a medical application, and then pursue other options for money if possible.