Qvault question HELPP :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fdat94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is really confusing, is there a mistake?

I understand Down Syndrome results in an extra chromosome 21, causing those individuals to have 47 chromosomes.
Although where I get confused in this question is that it is asking for SOMATIC cells, I thought somatic cells are 1-22 and 23 is the sex chromosome.
So if it is asking for number of somatic cells caused by the aneuploidy shouldn't the number be 45?
47 is for all

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 4.46.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 4.46.33 PM.png
    232.7 KB · Views: 53
This question is really confusing, is there a mistake?

I understand Down Syndrome results in an extra chromosome 21, causing those individuals to have 47 chromosomes.
Although where I get confused in this question is that it is asking for SOMATIC cells, I thought somatic cells are 1-22 and 23 is the sex chromosome.
So if it is asking for number of somatic cells caused by the aneuploidy shouldn't the number be 45?
47 is for all

Somatic cells too contain the sex chromosomes (23rd pair). I may be wrong, but I think you might be confusing somatic cells and autosomes (1-22nd pair of chromosomes).

Somatic cells too contain the sex chromosomes (23rd pair). I may be wrong, but I think you might be confusing somatic cells and autosomes (1-22nd pair of chromosomes).
But I though xy or xx (number 23) has is your sex chromosomes. the definition of somatic cells is all expect for sex cells

47 for sure. 2n = 46 for a normal somatic cell and 46 + 1 = 7 for an aneuploid. Simple as that.

Reactions: 1 user