Rabies vaccination series

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a pre-exposure vaccine ( I think it was 3 parts) when I was in Africa in 1992. But I am not sure how long it lasts. Does anyone how long it lasts?

Depends on your immune system. Get titer levels if you need to :)

Members don't see this ad.

I got a pre-exposure vaccine ( I think it was 3 parts) when I was in Africa in 1992. But I am not sure how long it lasts. Does anyone how long it lasts?

I know one vet who has been practicing 20+ years who hasn't needed a booster since his initial series in vet school. But while that's not terribly unusual, I don't think it is exactly common either.

I'm with NStarz: Get your titer levels checked. The CDC recommends vets in endemic areas do so every two years, if that is of any help.

Bumping this thread to ask a question that makes me feel silly -

I completed the first two shots in the series and then COMPLETELY missed the third by two weeks. I was all set to go get it tomorrow then opened the certificate and realized I was two weeks late. I feel incredibly stupid right now. I guess I read "Day 28" and then got it into my head that it was September 28.

Has this happened to anyone - missing their shots? Do you know if I have to start the whole thing again? :/ :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Has this happened to anyone - missing their shots? Do you know if I have to start the whole thing again? :/ :/

Great question for your MD. :)

My *GUESS* is that your MD will want to do the third one immediately and then follow up with a titer after an appropriate amount of time.

Bumping this thread to ask a question that makes me feel silly -

I completed the first two shots in the series and then COMPLETELY missed the third by two weeks. I was all set to go get it tomorrow then opened the certificate and realized I was two weeks late. I feel incredibly stupid right now. I guess I read "Day 28" and then got it into my head that it was September 28.

I had to miss my 2nd shot due to illness. I took it 2 weeks later and then the 3rd one a month later. It is not ideal, but it should still be ok. Then can take a titer if YOU care and are worried.

Kaiser Permanente also will not cover it if it is needed for work, school or travel. They are always happy to cash the $1000 check I send them every month though. :(
Series offered at school is my cheapest option. I checked out health departments in CO also.

Kaiser paid for mine 100%, no copays even. Don't know what was different for me. I told them I needed it for a RAVS trip to Arizona, and they just told me to come on in, no problem. Well, the only glitches were (1) the first advice nurse I talked to on the phone could not stop herself from busting up laughing, she thought it was so HILARIOUS that I was getting a rabies vaccine, and (2) when I got a call back someone thought I needed to see a travel nurse, but then when I called the travel dept they told me they wouldn't see me because I was only going to Arizona! So I guess it was a little confusing for them, but no one ever questioned whether I could have the vaccine, or whether it would be covered.

Getting my first one tomorrow. Kinda nervous! I'm leery of needle but more freaked out by possible rxns!

:scared:

Getting my first one tomorrow. Kinda nervous! I'm leery of needle but more freaked out by possible rxns!

:scared:

Everyone freaked me out about the rabies vaccine but it's really not bad. Compared to basically every other shot you can get it's nothing! And I had no reactions whatsoever!

Now the serum banking? That wasn't very cool. I was bruised and painful for 2 weeks! :mad:

Texas peeps - where are you geting your shots?

I asked my doctor about them and she gave me the deer in the headlights look and said she had "no idea where to get them."

So, I checked the Texas Department of Health website looking for info, but all I could find on there was a memo stating that they aren't doing the pre-exposure vaccines anymore. This seems incorrect to me.

I'm googling away trying to find out where to get them, but thought I'd ask here, in case anyone has tips.

Thanks. :)

I asked my doctor about them and she gave me the deer in the headlights look and said she had "no idea where to get them."

So, I checked the Texas Department of Health website looking for info, but all I could find on there was a memo stating that they aren't doing the pre-exposure vaccines anymore. This seems incorrect to me.

I'm googling away trying to find out where to get them, but thought I'd ask here, in case anyone has tips.

Totally different state but in Florida there were some county health departments that didn't offer the pre-exposure vaccine and some that did. I had to go to the next county to get mine because my county didn't carry it. Maybe try calling specific county health departments to see if they offer it. Worst case scenario you can go to a travel health doctor but they're usually super overpriced.

Totally different state but in Florida there were some county health departments that didn't offer the pre-exposure vaccine and some that did. I had to go to the next county to get mine because my county didn't carry it. Maybe try calling specific county health departments to see if they offer it. Worst case scenario you can go to a travel health doctor but they're usually super overpriced.

Thanks for the tip. :)

I had to miss my 2nd shot due to illness. I took it 2 weeks later and then the 3rd one a month later. It is not ideal, but it should still be ok. Then can take a titer if YOU care and are worried.

They don't do it at Davis, but when I got my initial series for a job with another university, protocol REQUIRED us to get a titer a month or two later to make sure that the series of 3 shots was adequate (I know, titers aren't perfect and don't measure cell-mediated immunity, but it's the best we have right now). However, it is not mentioned as part of the CDC recommendation.

Last edited:

I know you can get them at ARC in Austin. A&M also offers them at the student health clinic during the summer. But by far the cheapest place I've heard of is the Scott & White clinic in College Station. They're under $200 per shot instead of $300+.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you can get them at ARC in Austin. A&M also offers them at the student health clinic during the summer. But by far the cheapest place I've heard of is the Scott & White clinic in College Station. They're under $200 per shot instead of $300+.

Thank you for the info!! This is good news. :D

I had mine done at the health department at ~$186/shot. It made me really sick, but I am known to have vaccine reactions. It was ~$190 at the school. We aren't required to have them, but we can't participate in a lot of stuff otherwise.

Curious, I am also highly allergic to vaccines and I am trying to get out of them. I am nervous about getting a vaccine because it causes cardiac issues. If you do not get the vaccine what will you not be allowed to participate in? I just do not know what to do and I do not want the possibility of a vaccine killing me to prevent me from going to school.

Curious, I am also highly allergic to vaccines and I am trying to get out of them. I am nervous about getting a vaccine because it causes cardiac issues. If you do not get the vaccine what will you not be allowed to participate in? I just do not know what to do and I do not want the possibility of a vaccine killing me to prevent me from going to school.
I know for U of I you have to have a doctor write up something saying you cannot have vaccines due to a health risk of reaction. I think you should probably call the school and explain the situation to them and see if and what you would not be allowed to participate in.

Oooh, that's a concern! My school won't allow me to start class until my series is complete, and I think others require it before clinicals. I would call your school about what they allow. I would imagine at some point when the risk of side effects out weighs the risk of actually getting rabies... people need to use their heads. Hopefully, your school administrators will open minded. I imagine, with proper documentation, you shouldn't have a problem. They may state that their liability insurance won't make any exceptions, but there are always exceptions when you talk to the right person.

Also, maybe a good MD will help you find a way you can safely have them?

I had my second rabavert last week and I didn't even have a touch of arm soreness. The hep A in the other arm, I can't say the same about!

I had my second rabavert last week and I didn't even have a touch of arm soreness. The hep A in the other arm, I can't say the same about!

I just had my second rabies shot this morning. Last week when I got my first one I was expecting to be sore and hurt, but it never happened. Although, my arm was definitely sore from the tetanus for nearly a week.

On another note both times I have gone to the clinic the receptionists ask me what bit me and then the nurses administering the shot say I have never given this before :uhno:

any other c/o 2021 trying to get this done before vet school? I'm *pretty* sure my insurance covers it? It took like 2 hours on the phone with someone that seemed to not know what they are talking about, but they finally told me that it should be covered. Not very convincing, but since its a possibility, and I have a HSA currently from my job I figure why not.

@mht2k3 I have not been accepted yet, but make recommendations for PEP/deal with people looking for pre-exposure often in my work. In my experience, insurance coverage may be complicated - here are some of the worst-case scenarios I've heard after people were told it would probably be covered by insurance:
- Insurance did not cover because they ended up requiring a note *before* getting the shots from a doctor deeming them "medically necessary" - they did not tell the person ahead of time and, as always, they say it's "your job" to know what is required for coverage.
- Insurance did not cover and used the excuse that it was not an occupational hazard as the person had insurance through their current employer (in this situation someone got the pre-exposure for travel and did not work in a job that would put them at risk). The insurance stated that the person choosing to put themselves at risk (i.e. by traveling) was not the insurance company's responsibility.
- Insurance did not cover pre-exposure, but would cover post-exposure if the person was bitten. The insurance rep the person spoke with did not understand the difference between the two and thought pre-exposure was covered even though the person was clear about what they were getting.

I'm not saying your insurance will not cover and I have heard of insurances that have, but I would recommend trying to get something in writing that specifies type of series covered (pre vs post) and any other requirements they have for coverage (letter of medical necessity, etc).

Even then, I would kill two birds by also trying to get it in the least expensive way you can in case they decide not to cover. Sometimes travel clinics can be cheaper than traditional healthcare providers if their office visit fee is lower. Depending on your state some state/local/county health departments may also carry it in their clinics (we do not carry it in most of our county health departments in my state but in some states they do - you can call your local HD to find out). There is also sometimes a wide difference in price for the actual vaccines between different medical facilities with some putting a premium on them (pre- and post-) because of the implications of rabies infection. It may take a little time, but you can get information from facilities if you call ahead of time (unless you've already identified a place to get them, then ignore this part :) ). Good luck!

Yeah I made the appointment with the travel clinic and they gave me the medical code which is what I told my insurance and they looked it up and said it would be covered and doesn't need pre-authorization, but i'm still skeptical. After researching it a bit, it seems like some schools will provide the vaccination for free if you have the university health insurance so I ended up cancelling my upcoming appointment and waiting to figure out where I'm going to school and if it will be covered or not.

If I end up trying to get it with my current insurance, I'll try and get something in writing stating their coverage benefits. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
For what it's worth, I didn't expect my health insurance (Cigna) to cover any of the $915 that I was quoted for the rabies pre-expsosure prophylaxis but I was pleasantly surprised---they paid for just over $100 per shot, effectively cutting my total cost down by a third. That said, I did get vaccinated through my school rather than at my usual healthcare provider or a travel clinic so that might have been why. I agree that waiting to see where you end up and whether or not they offer you the vaccines and/or university health insurance is a good idea unless you can find it for relatively cheap elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I have a question regarding the series. I was supposed to get my second shot today but I was stuck at work and completely missed my pharmacy’s opening hours. All the info I’ve seen on the rabies series is that the second one must be given on day 7. Since I missed it and have to get it on day 8, would that be an issue or would I have to redo the whole series? Has this happened to anyone and was still cleared to get it the day after? Thanks in advance!

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I have a question regarding the series. I was supposed to get my second shot today but I was stuck at work and completely missed my pharmacy’s opening hours. All the info I’ve seen on the rabies series is that the second one must be given on day 7. Since I missed it and have to get it on day 8, would that be an issue or would I have to redo the whole series? Has this happened to anyone and was still cleared to get it the day after? Thanks in advance!

You are fine! Different people have varying immune responses and the vaccines are developed in a way to account for that (so you getting it a day late may not be any different from someone else getting it on day 7 with a different immune response). I worked in rabies and was an SME for the state, we would clear people with a larger deviation than yours - it should not be a problem.

Reactions: 1 users
You are fine! Different people have varying immune responses and the vaccines are developed in a way to account for that (so you getting it a day late may not be any different from someone else getting it on day 7 with a different immune response). I worked in rabies and was an SME for the state, we would clear people with a larger deviation than yours - it should not be a problem.

Thank you so much! That really eased my mind. I was so worried I would have to restart the series and pay for it again :nailbiting: