racist??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catalystman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are pre-meds more racist than the rest of the population?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

how do you mean? i've never heard racist comments from fellow pre-meds, or really anybody with whom i've dealt in a professional arena. now what goes on behind closed doors is another matter altogether. who the hell really knows.

LOL. Why would they be???? Is there some sort of racist natural selection invovled in organic chem courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
catalystman said:

A weird question. What brought this up?

gossmer said:

the racist did.

i am of the intergalactic poonani race, and i say you all suck
you inferior beings are no match for poonani. prepare to be invaded, b*tches

HAIL POONANI

gossmer said:

I was looking at old threads on SDN...

catalystman said:
I was looking at old threads on SDN...

People are more likely to reveal prejudice on an anonymous internet forum.

yes. a finite number of seats in medical school classes leads to lord of the flies. someone has to be piggy.

prana_md said:
yes. a finite number of seats in medical school classes leads to lord of the flies. someone has to be piggy.

OMG, i saw that film a few months ago in political science. LOL. I do not think that they were racist towards piggy, he was the weakest link, only the fittest survive.

spots in medical school are limited, premeds have to be atleast somewhat competitive in nature to survive. AA frustrates overrepresented applicants because it creates a double standard of achievement. this will play out ad nauseum on these forums.

"racist" is just a label people use for their own reasons whether to feel moral superiority or the call out people who actively participate in strategies of oppresion. one of the things i can't stand about the use of this label is that it can be used by people of low integrity to discredit somebody who would make a judgment on a person's character irrespective of color. for example i work with some african american individuals who by chance happen to have no sense of personal responsibility or work ethic and myself and the filipinos i work with have to continually take up their slack. they will not hesitate to use the word "racist" when confronted with their lack of performance. management walks on egg-shells to avoid being professionally discredited by allegations of "racism."

so in my opinion your question is inept due to its lack of clarity. do premeds hold pre-conceived notions of ethnicity and what it means? who doesn't, for the human mind is lazy and habitual. do premeds organize themselves around an idea to limit the prospects of minority students? Possible, but it seems to me unlikely. We need better words than just racism for expressing intent and circumstance.--Ben.

catalystman said:

are you talking about the premeds on sdn or on campus? sdn has more racist tendencies but i wouldnt generalize.

benelswick said:
spots in medical school are limited, premeds have to be atleast somewhat competitive in nature to survive. AA frustrates overrepresented applicants because it creates a double standard of achievement. this will play out ad nauseum on these forums.

"racist" is just a label people use for their own reasons whether to feel moral superiority or the call out people who actively participate in strategies of oppresion. one of the things i can't stand about the use of this label is that it can be used by people of low integrity to discredit somebody who would make a judgment on a person's character irrespective of color. for example i work with some african american individuals who by chance happen to have no sense of personal responsibility or work ethic and myself and the filipinos i work with have to continually take up their slack. they will not hesitate to use the word "racist" when confronted with their lack of performance. management walks on egg-shells to avoid being professionally discredited by allegations of "racism."

so in my opinion your question is inept due to its lack of clarity. do premeds hold pre-conceived notions of ethnicity and what it means? who doesn't, for the human mind is lazy and habitual. do premeds organize themselves around an idea to limit the prospects of minority students? Possible, but it seems to me unlikely. We need better words than just racism for expressing intent and circumstance.--Ben.

I agree with you on the misusage of the words "racist/racism".

benelswick said:

excellent post.

I do not understand why this is always such a huge theme on this message board, (application neurosis maybe) Is AA in effect and staying that way-Yes. Does thinking AA is wrong make you a racist-no. What does make you a racist is if you assume that AA is the only way a URM gets into med school. If you disagree with AA and are not a racist you have no problems saying so on more than just an internet site. I have had disagreements with people over this topic but that is what thoughtful people do.

p.s.- I was drawn in by the title of this board, so maybe I am contributing to this topic never dying.

catalystman said:

This sounds like the type of ******ed questions that "Carrie" from Sex and the City asks. It is supposed to be profound but all it really is is a segue to the scene where the old woman humps somebody.

whatever... this thread can be closed now

You know who is more racist than the rest of the population? Grocery baggers.

indo said:
This sounds like the type of ******ed questions that "Carrie" from Sex and the City asks. It is supposed to be profound but all it really is is a segue to the scene where the old woman humps somebody.
:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.