Random AADSAS Questions: 2017-2018 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!
So I got a ton of A+'s and they only count them as 4.0
I was wondering if anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

Yeah, they changed it this year, both A+ and A count as 4.0 now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, they changed it this year, both A+ and A count as 4.0 now.
Sucks for me but I like it overall because I did feel like I was advantaged before. This is a much fairer competition.
Though I wonder if the average GPAs for schools will go down from what is listed online and in books.

Also as a side note, just got off the phone with AADSAS and man its frustrating. They told me that all the grades are shifted down and A+s are no longer 4.3 but As are no longer 4. Then I said that wasnt possible and he replied that its just the new way. I told him I have the scores in front of me and that is incorrect and he said one word~"yeah" and nothing else for quite a long time. I asked for a manager and he said one sec, then comes back and said A+ and A is 4.0. I told him that he gave me two contradictory sets of information. His response? "yeah". I just paid 3k USD to you people... quite disappointing.

Can someone explain to me what exactly is AADSAS "VERIFYING"? I know transcripts but other than that, what else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does Temple have a supplemental app/fee? I can't find info about it anywhere.

So, I'm guessing that this question has been asked before somewhere else on SDN or this thread, but I'm not able to find a recent Q& A on this topic.

I want to submit my application, but one of my references has not submitted his LOR and I may need to find someone else to write one for me. I called the hotline today and asked if I could switch out the individual I have now with someone else after I hit submit and she said "yes." However, when I entered my credit card info and got lined up to press the big red button I got a warning message that said LORs would be an area that would be locked once I submitted my application.

UPDATE: in the instructions is says "May I add more LOEs after I have submitted my application? You may add or change your evaluators at any time during the application cycle as long as the evaluator has not reached “Completed” status. You may log in to the application and go the “Evaluators” section of your application. Delete the names of the evaluator(s) who will not be writing on your behalf."

So I submitted and yes I can still go in and delete or add the LOEs

Last edited:
Hi I have more questions:
If the class called math 2xx and but it's Statistics should I choose the subject as Math or Statistics.
Also, if the class is called phiy 2xx but it was Ethics, should I choose Ethics or Philosophy as a subject?
Last question:
After I transferred to my state school. I returned to my community college for one summer and took another class.
So at that time, I took 3 classes 2 in my state school, and the third at the community college.
In that case, do I enter them together in summer 2015 or should I put summer 2015 for my community college and summer 2015 for my state school?

Thank you so much for your help.

Hi I have more questions:
If the class called math 2xx and but it's Statistics should I choose the subject as Math or Statistics.
Also, if the class is called phiy 2xx but it was Ethics, should I choose Ethics or Philosophy as a subject?
Last question:
After I transferred to my state school. I returned to my community college for one summer and took another class.
So at that time, I took 3 classes 2 in my state school, and the third at the community college.
In that case, do I enter them together in summer 2015 or should I put summer 2015 for my community college and summer 2015 for my state school?

Thank you so much for your help.
For the first question it doesn't matter too much. Make it as close as possible, meaning closest to the title of the course. For example a math class I took (math 143 I think) was called probability and statistics....I categorized it as statistics. In the end however, the people at AADSAS will make a few changes on the course subject as they see fit (alike the title and department of the class). If everything is copied exactly as it appears on transcript and you do your best in deciding what the class category is, it'll all be good. They might change a few things but probably nothing too much.

For the second question it depends if the CC credit appears on your main school transcript. In my case I transferred my credits from CC to my main school so some classes were duplicates (appeared on both transcripts). I need that case again, enter them as they appear on the transcripts even if they repeat. The CC courses on the CC transcripts had grades; however, on the main school transcript they'll probably be CR (schools don't count in transfer credits into your GPA). Main conclusion to keep in mind: copy exactly as you see stuff on your transcript. If you didn't transfer the CC credit/courses don't appear on your main school transcript then you don't need to add them both times. The whole is just copying something exactly as you read it

Hope that helps

For the first question it doesn't matter too much. Make it as close as possible, meaning closest to the title of the course. For example a math class I took (math 143 I think) was called probability and statistics....I categorized it as statistics. In the end however, the people at AADSAS will make a few changes on the course subject as they see fit (alike the title and department of the class). If everything is copied exactly as it appears on transcript and you do your best in deciding what the class category is, it'll all be good. They might change a few things but probably nothing too much.

For the second question it depends if the CC credit appears on your main school transcript. In my case I transferred my credits from CC to my main school so some classes were duplicates (appeared on both transcripts). I need that case again, enter them as they appear on the transcripts even if they repeat. The CC courses on the CC transcripts had grades; however, on the main school transcript they'll probably be CR (schools don't count in transfer credits into your GPA). Main conclusion to keep in mind: copy exactly as you see stuff on your transcript. If you didn't transfer the CC credit/courses don't appear on your main school transcript then you don't need to add them both times. The whole is just copying something exactly as you read it

Hope that helps
That is very helpful. Thank you for your answer.

I have met the minimum pre-requisite courses for individual schools under "Program Materials." I have two questions regarding *additional* courses that meet the requirement:
1. Should I list only the additional ones I did well in?
2. Or is it required to include all classes I've taken that meet the pre-requisite?

For example, I didn't do great in Molecular Biology and don't want to list it under the "upper level biology" pre-requisite (since I listed a different course that I did well in and meets the pre-req).

reapplicant this cycle and was reviewing my old application only to realize i must have not put in one of my dental shadowing experiences last summer (applied late) and i want to add it to my application this cycle. is it okay if i add it?

Last edited:
reapplicant this cycle and was reviewing my old application only to realize i must have not put in one of my dental shadowing experiences last summer (applied late) and i want to add it to my application this cycle. is it okay if i add it?
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get an email from Rutgers, Temple, or Ohio State regarding the supplemental fee? I want to get these out as soon as possible.

same here. since last Friday. I called them and theysaid it doesn't load on their end either. they said a bunch of people have this problem and that they're trying ot fix it. I might call them before weekend to see what's the status on that. I don't think that influences schools downloading my app. i hope it doesn't haha. should get fixed soon if i had to guess
Has it resolved yet for you? I still cannot load my page.

Has it resolved yet for you? I still cannot load my page.
Yeah it has. It takes a little longer to load than like before and they changed the interface but it works now

Hey, has anyone had the professional entry done and then had their course classifications changed during the verification process? I disputed a few (successfully), filled in prereqs, and clicked "I'm finished". I should be locked in, right? Or do I still need to keep an eye out for shenanigans?

What information is allowed to be submitted under the licenses section of the AADSAS applications? I completed a Radiation Safety and Technique course by a California Board-Approved school and received a certificate acknowledging that I passed. However, I do not have any license from the state of California. Should this be listed under the academic enrichment tab of experiences or under licenses? I also have a CPR card, I'm not sure where that should go either.

Is my submitted application not forwarded to the schools until all of my LORs are completed?

Is my submitted application not forwarded to the schools until all of my LORs are completed?
I think everything is online so the schools Have access to it anytime. You just gotta get the LORs in. It took me another 10vdays to get my LORs in. And pretty all my schools wrote me an email saying they have my app but it's incomplete

Sorry if this has been answered, but can you put the same experiences as you did in your personal statement?

Sorry if this has been answered, but can you put the same experiences as you did in your personal statement?
Preferably not really. You can pick 1-2 maybe talk about them but the main point of the PS is for the admissions to get to know you better. Don't list activities all over again, don't talk about what grades you got. Explain why you want to be a dentist but more importantly paint a picture of who you are

any word on secondaries from Ohio State, BU, rutgers, and Temple?

Preferably not really. You can pick 1-2 maybe talk about them but the main point of the PS is for the admissions to get to know you better. Don't list activities all over again, don't talk about what grades you got. Explain why you want to be a dentist but more importantly paint a picture of who you are
awesome thanks. also, can we do point form to talk about ECs? or do they need to be paragraph form (sorry, first time fully applying this year)

awesome thanks. also, can we do point form to talk about ECs? or do they need to be paragraph form (sorry, first time fully applying this year)
in the PS? everything in the PS is very formal! keep those MLA rules! preferrably no abbreviations ("don't", "can't" etc.) and no informal writing. keep it very professional. and include why you want to be a dentist and write about YOU. don't relist activities that you already have in the experience section. I picked one experience that shaped me and really kinda motivated me to be a dentist and based my intro on that. but for the most part i talk about myself.
the adcoms will not analyze your PS so you want to appear formal but also persuasive while at the same time the adcoms can get a picture of who you are. (listing activities doesn't really tell them about you! include that in experiences and don't just reiterate something in your application)

in the PS? everything in the PS is very formal! keep those MLA rules! preferrably no abbreviations ("don't", "can't" etc.) and no informal writing. keep it very professional. and include why you want to be a dentist and write about YOU. don't relist activities that you already have in the experience section. I picked one experience that shaped me and really kinda motivated me to be a dentist and based my intro on that. but for the most part i talk about myself.
the adcoms will not analyze your PS so you want to appear formal but also persuasive while at the same time the adcoms can get a picture of who you are. (listing activities doesn't really tell them about you! include that in experiences and don't just reiterate something in your application)
TO add on, you can talk about your experiences (which I did) but instead of writing the "what" we did like we do for the EC section of the app, I talked about "why" I did it and gave my own personal insight of what I gained from that (p.s. this does not mean you write about the techniques you learned, rather talk about how you grew as a person or how it shaped your beliefs)

Reactions: 1 users
Do I have to complete the secondaries specific for the schools that are on aadsas before submitting the aadsas primary application?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do I have to complete the secondaries specific for the schools that are on aadsas before submitting the aadsas primary application?

if a school doesn't have a secondary or you only complete 1 secondary of a school you can submit to that specific school and ur GPA will begin to be verified. you can submit anytime after to a school. i'd recommend submitting to one school as soon as possible

if a school doesn't have a secondary or you only complete 1 secondary of a school you can submit to that specific school and ur GPA will begin to be verified. you can submit anytime after to a school. i'd recommend submitting to one school as soon as possible

So basically do one secondary that's really easy, submit for verification, and then add more schools?

any word on secondaries from Ohio State, BU, rutgers, and Temple?

Posted the same question on Monday haha. I got an email from Ohio this morning saying my app is complete and to look out for another email in 5 days for the supplemental. BU also sent me an email to "take the next step.." and pay the fee (no supplemental questions). Waiting to hear back from Rutgers and Temple.

Posted the same question on Monday haha. I got an email from Ohio this morning saying my app is complete and to look out for another email in 5 days for the supplemental. BU also sent me an email to "take the next step.." and pay the fee (no supplemental questions). Waiting to hear back from Rutgers and Temple.
Also, for whatever reason, BU sent another email the day after I paid their secondary fee. It was basically a repeat saying my application was received and to wait until they contact me to pay the fee again. I think this was a mistake though. Would appreciate if anyone else could chime in on this

nono i'm talking about extracurricular activites list on the ADEA application website. I've already written my personal statement. can i have bullet points like if it were a resume? or do we have to make an elaborate paragraph

nono i'm talking about extracurricular activites list on the ADEA application website. I've already written my personal statement. can i have bullet points like if it were a resume? or do we have to make an elaborate paragraph
ohh on the experience section? I think you have the option to choose. I did bullet points (more like a resume) because it's more concise and easy to ready; also used digits for numbers (not letters) because it makes it easier to notice things. you can do whichever you feel comfortable with

So basically do one secondary that's really easy, submit for verification, and then add more schools?

yes! i know it feels like you gotta get a bunch/all schools ready to submit but I'd strongly recommend submitting to one school in order to start your verification process. there'll be nothing to stop you from applying individually to other schools

ohh on the experience section? I think you have the option to choose. I did bullet points (more like a resume) because it's more concise and easy to ready; also used digits for numbers (not letters) because it makes it easier to notice things. you can do whichever you feel comfortable with
awesome, super thanks for your quick replies

I only received the first email (on June 16) from BU saying "thanks for the application" but haven't received on asking me to pay the supplemental yet... should i reach out or keep waiting?

For "Experiences", in high school I volunteered at an organization for special needs children every weekend of my senior year, but took a hiatus during college because the program only runs through the school year and I was of course at school. However, I'm taking a gap year and plan to resume my involvement with the organization throughout the year. What dates should I use as the the timeline portion and should I include that I plan to resume my involvement?

Currently finishing up my masters and I had sent in my transcripts from the Fall about a month ago and they got verified I guess (the cas number now appears). But now that I've finished my last classes and grades have been posted, I went to go update them on my aadsas, and the cas number got autofilled while inputting my grades for the Spring. Do I still need to send them an updated transcript or can I just apply now ezpz?

For those who are permanent residents (aka those with green cards), which answer choice did you click for the question "Do you have a U.S. Visa?" Just trying to confirm before submitting my app. Thanks!

Well, it's that time again- AADSAS opens tomorrow, and the inevitable flood of questions will soon follow. Instead of spamming the board, I thought it would be nice to carry on the tradition of a centralized thread for random questions you may have. I will do my best to answer questions, but I'm sure many other rising D1s and current students can fill in the gaps! Good luck to all applicants, these next 6 months will be a journey!

Hi Guys!!

So I currently joined a research lab and really want to include it on my application...I joined 2 weeks before the last semester ended and I know a bit about the lab but I haven't yet been given any responsibilities and won't be until i'm back in school in August. How can I include this on my application? Should I not include it because I haven't fully participated in the lab yet? Help!!

So, I just learned that we can't update the hours of a current volunteering if we submit the application, we can only add a new experience.
Problem is, my current experience will have additional 25 hours by mid-August.
In this case, should I submit the app, but don't add the current experience right now and wait until mid-August to update it along with its 50 hours.
In all cases, my dat is in August, so by the time everything verified, I should have more than 100 hours
What do you guys think?

While filling out Nova secondary i ran acrros this
"If you have not submitted an AADSAS Application as of December 1, 2016, please do not complete this application. I understand that if I have not submitted a AADSAS Application as of December 1, 2016 and continue with this application I will be charged a non-refundable $50.00 application fee, however my application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for admission."

It says DECEMBER 2016, isnt that last cycle? Can ANYONE shed some insight on this? PLEASE

So I am planning to submit my first school today! However, if I want to add experiences, could I re-select my top 6 etc?

also, I wanted your opinions...
I have a total gpa of 3.922 are my school. I Have a science gpa of around 3.7/.75 id say. My bio-chem-physics is a 4.0. I received a 22 AA and 22 in all sections of my dat except Bio and RC I got a 20 and chem I got a 26. I was a premed student conditionally accepted into Jefferson Medical School but I realized dental school is more for me. I am currently going to take a gap year and I graduated my class as Magna Cum Laude. I have tons of hospital volunteer hours (over 200) I did MEDLIFE in Peru. I shadowed 2 dentists and received 100+ hours as I took a semester off because I was ahead on credit. I also had this dope internship at Morristown Medical Center with the Surgery department and I saw oral surgeries on top of many other surgeries (around 250 hours of shadowing all types of doctors though). I am from NJ so rutgers is most likely my top choice. I did their program called Gateway to Dentistry this past winter which solidified dentistry for me. I am thinking to apply to only 5 schools. Is that logical? Any advice would help. I am considering Upenn. I would like to look at UNC but I heard it is pointless because they mostly choose instate.

Also, when is a good time to have my whole application submitted. Is mid- July decent time?

does UAB (alabama dental) not have a secondary this year? it seems from their that the main AADSAS is everything they require.
can anyone confirm?

I just finished filling out my AADSAS application. Will there be a difference whether I submit it right now or sunday night, since I'm assuming they don't work on weekends? I just would want a couple of days to really triple check everything if it doesn't make much of a difference batch wise.

I just finished filling out my AADSAS application. Will there be a difference whether I submit it right now or sunday night, since I'm assuming they don't work on weekends? I just would want a couple of days to really triple check everything if it doesn't make much of a difference batch wise.
take the time to double check. nothing happens over weekend

Reactions: 1 users