Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part XVII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted106503

random

werd2.gif

Members don't see this ad.

No way!

But he is kind of freaking me out. I literally took the LAST BITE of my breakfast and he took the bowl right out of my hands to the kitchen. He sometimes gets a little condescending about "taking care of me" when i have study time coming up. It's like having attitude without real attitude (passive-aggressive?)

:laugh:

So, I finished AAMC 4 CBT:

PS 10
BS 10
VR 9

total = 29

Much better than that stupid PR online test. This is my dx for my EK 10-week schedule.

My weakness areas were physics and orgo I haven't learned yet and the usual stuff that should be remedied with more study. I wasn't too freaked out this time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey stranger - long time, no see :)

I'll add that to the list as well - I'm starting to think signing up for amazon prime might not be a bad idea.

Amazon Prime is awesome. I have it and LOVE the 2 day free shipping. Not to mention overnight for like $3. Sweet!

My DVR list - Scrubs, 30 Rock, GA, ER, American Idol, House, Yummy Mummy. I think that's it. ;)

And Mush, I don't think most of America thinks Americal Idol is "done" yet or it wouldn't be the #1 show on TV. :D ;) I LOVE that show.
eh, I just don't get it and its funny b/c I don't know anyone who watches it (wait, I might know ONE person). But even so its not like everyone watches TV so the rates are diluted in my opinion. Everyone has different preferences, Idol is so passe for me.

Have the tryouts have any william hungs?

So, I finished AAMC 4 CBT:

PS 10
BS 10
VR 9

total = 29

Much better than that stupid PR online test. This is my dx for my EK 10-week schedule.

My weakness areas were physics and orgo I haven't learned yet and the usual stuff that should be remedied with more study. I wasn't too freaked out this time!
congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Argh, I really am a black cloud. I thought these two colons would be straightforward but one is a carcinoid and one is a GIST (GI stromal tumor) vs. lymphoma. ARGH. +pissed+ (These are both very unusual, which is cool, but not today lol).

For those interested in an example of memory techniques in medical school, and one NOT like the low-yield "On Olympus'...." mnemonics, here is a story that I made to help me remember the anti-psychotic drugs:

=======================
Anti-psychotics

Crazy Aunt Faye is carrying a jug of clorox to clean with and wearing a tinsel halo. She sneaks into a closet and whispers to "Olly the otter" (her imaginary friend- she's clearly crazy) to "Be quiet!" when he rips his zipper open to flash her.

• Crazy Aunt Faye – someone who is psychotic.
• Clorox to clean – Chlorpromazine
• halo – haloperiodol
• closet – clozapine
• whispers- risperidone
• "Olly the otter" – olanzapine
• quiet!! – quetiapine
• rips - aripiprazole
• zipper – ziprasidone

Potency of typical anti-psychotics

high potency – tinsel halo on top of a pyramid = extrapyramidal symptoms [Haloperidol]
low potency – drinking clorox will bring you low = orthostatic HYPOtension, sedative effects, & anti-cholinergic. [chlorpromazine]

When she puts on the halo it keeps her from yelling curse words = Haloperidol is DOC for Tourette's
==================================

FYI, the technique takes some work at the beginning of learning each block of drugs. OTOH, much time is saved on the backend as you don't usually have to read things over and over to memorize them. Plus, by using characters in your story, you can later have them "act out" stuff like mechanisms of action, side effects, therapeutic uses, etc.

This may be "too much work" for some folks, or else the technique doesn't prove useful. But it's the way my mind works.

*shrug*

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone tell me why med school students have to memorize so much info? The doctors I know don't remember crap from those books and by the time you're practicing, the texts are changed a lot. I talked to some med students during interviews and they said "I've learned so much and forgotten so much" and they laughed. That wasn't funny to me. That's just a waste, right?

:confused: No. I don't know what that is. Care to enlighten me?? :)
studies on the efficacy of the atypicals. and what they're finding is that the side effects are still there, and the drugs are much more expensive... so it's bringing up a lot of questions about prescribing habits and cost effectiveness vs clinical effectiveness.

BTW, for pts who gain weight easily, Zyprexa is the devil.

Hey Beary. :) You watching the Busch race in Mexico right now?

Hey Will. :)

No, I'm at the VA with the crappy colons. :( I actually am going to leave them until tomorrow because I have no idea what to do with them. If I do them, I will get in trouble for not asking for help. If I don't do them, I will get in trouble for turnaround time. *sigh*

Can someone tell me why med school students have to memorize so much info? The doctors I know don't remember crap from those books and by the time you're practicing, the texts are changed a lot. I talked to some med students during interviews and they said "I've learned so much and forgotten so much" and they laughed. That wasn't funny to me. That's just a waste, right?

It's sort of a waste, but I think each time you "relearn" something it gets easier. But some of the stuff (like biochem) you will never relearn anyway. ;)

Hey Will. :)

No, I'm at the VA with the crappy colons. :( I actually am going to leave them until tomorrow because I have no idea what to do with them. If I do them, I will get in trouble for not asking for help. If I don't do them, I will get in trouble for turnaround time. *sigh*

Beary, the race is INCREDIBLE. It's not over yet, but wow. Mad skills being shown on the road course.

Sucks :( Did you guys get the regular season title? I guess it's good for the MVC. Now two teams are going to the dance. :)

Yes - we got the regular season title. We beat out Creighton by 3 more wins I think.

*sigh* I knew that game was going to end badly from the first 2 minutes of play. SIU got a little too lazy I think.

There was a thread that discussed this to some degree in the allo forums some months back.

The general consensus was that its supposed to give you the foundations from which you build on. You may not remember every detail but depending on what field you go into, having the background will help in certain areas.

For instance, if you go into pathology then knowing a bit of gross anatomy and histology is going to help tremendously vs someone who's never seen it a day in their life. If you are going into nephrology then all that ion chemistry stuff you learn will become important, if you are going into endocrinology all that hormone stuff you learn will become important. You see to be able to understand something later on you will need to learn the basics. The problem is that since medical school is so short and there's soooooo much you need to learn you are essentially going to forget most of it because they are shoving it down your throat.

Important announcement:

The sun still exists. It peeked out today in SE Michigan. :D

Just remember when summer comes around and spring too, you'll have it more gorgeous then Florida esp. by Lake Michigan. Ohh and it won't be scorching hot in the summer. :p

I was in Wisconsin for a bit last summer, if you recall, and we went by the Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan and it was absolutely gorgeous. I don't think I've ever seen a lake as crystal blue as that lake looked. When the sun set over it, it was just beautiful. Lakes and rivers in Florida tend to look really dark black compared to Lake Michigan. Now only if it didn't smell like dead fish. hahaha

It's sort of a waste, but I think each time you "relearn" something it gets easier. But some of the stuff (like biochem) you will never relearn anyway. ;)

hahaha yeah I could see that being true about biochem. I think the things people will most retain and find useful even if they retain only bits and pieces will be from the more biologically relevant classes like microbiology because its relevance to infectious disease or anatomy, histology, etc. But again, I'd venture it all depends on what field you go into. You'd probably retain the relevant points and forget most of the rest of it.

hahaha yeah I could see that being true about biochem. I think the things people will most retain and find useful even if they retain only bits and pieces will be from the more biologically relevant classes like microbiology because its relevance to infectious disease or anatomy, histology, etc. But again, I'd venture it all depends on what field you go into. You'd probably retain the relevant points and forget most of the rest of it.

one of our profs told us that the goal is for the med students to remember 10% of what they learned first year.....

Status
Not open for further replies.