Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you not been getting chain Facebook messages? My dad sends me one every 3 months ish despite the fact that I haven't talked to him in four years
Oh I refuse to interact with family on Facebook, I have a separate account they think is me

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
hmm...most that I see on my feed are from those that are a lot younger than me...like my kid's friends...(ok, so that puts them in the 35-40 age range). I roll my eyes and just scroll on past!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
What is up with boomers and their compulsive need to repost those “if you cared about me and consider me a true friend, you would copy and paste this on your wall too” nonsense?

My favorite is the constant reposting of the "if you don't post this facebook will steals all your information and share it, facebook is becoming a public entity today. Anything you post after today can be used in court against you or be shared, but if you post this message, facebook can't use your stuff."

Umm..... facebook posts have been used in court for a long ass time now. Plus, you should expect that anything you put out into the internetverse can be seen by anyone, anywhere at anytime.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a couple of frogs calling outside and it is bugging me so much that I don't remember my frog call identification well enough to figure out what they are :cryi:

Sometimes I hear a bird call that sounds I know I used to now but I can't remember which bird it is and it bugs me so I feel this.

Of course I think the worst part about learning bird calls was it for final exam, right? And we had to learn like 30 of them. And then there were only like two questions on bird calls and they were basic ones like "red hawk" and "canada goose". I was like... why did I study this?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Sometimes I hear a bird call that sounds I know I used to now but I can't remember which bird it is and it bugs me so I feel this.

Of course I think the worst part about learning bird calls was it for final exam, right? And we had to learn like 30 of them. And then there were only like two questions on bird calls and they were basic ones like "red hawk" and "canada goose". I was like... why did I study this?
Right?? So frustrating.

But yeah at least I learned all the frog calls (and visual ID) for an exam that was just identification stuff. But now they've left my brain.

I was in an ornithology class where we had a bazillion quizzes in the lab where they literally just played bird calls and we had to ID them. Occasionally we had to ID photos of different birds from the calls we had to ID.

Including various woodpeckers that are basically indistinguishable from one another. Blah :grumpy:

Also, bird watching is just walking with binoculars. There, I said it!

• Haha
I was in an ornithology class where we had a bazillion quizzes in the lab where they literally just played bird calls and we had to ID them. Occasionally we had to ID photos of different birds from the calls we had to ID.

Including various woodpeckers that are basically indistinguishable from one another. Blah :grumpy:

Also, bird watching is just walking with binoculars. There, I said it!

I was just so upset that I spent time learning all those calls only to be asked the easiest ones.

And you're not wrong about bird watching.

What is up with boomers and their compulsive need to repost those “if you cared about me and consider me a true friend, you would copy and paste this on your wall too” nonsense?

Because if they don't post it they will have 42 years of bad luck and their dog will die tomorrow!!!11!

@SkiOtter and whoever else was part of this conversation... I ordered those betabrand cat pants :heckyeah: :cat:

They don't ship until July but I probably won't need to wear real pants until then anyways! :D

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not exactly bird calls, but on the subject of birds seeming pretty similar... this is relevant to a presentation I'm giving in a few hours:

"Does it have the face of a Muppet?"
- actual bird identification advice from this article and I am here for it​

Last edited:
Not exactly bird calls, but on the subject of birds seeming pretty similar... this is relevant to a presentation I'm giving in a few hours:

"Does it have the face of a Muppet?"
- actual bird identification advice from this article​
Fun fact: they use red tail calls for velociraptors and eagle calls in movies

I was just looking at the VIN cost of attendance map and (at least based on their projections) I ended up spending about the same on school as I would have if I had gotten into my IS. Kind of makes me feel better since every once in a while I have those "what if" feels because of loans. And makes me even more grateful that I was able to get IS tuition after the first year here.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I was just looking at the VIN cost of attendance map and (at least based on their projections) I ended up spending about the same on school as I would have if I had gotten into my IS. Kind of makes me feel better since every once in a while I have those "what if" feels because of loans. And makes me even more grateful that I was able to get IS tuition after the first year here.
Where do you go to school?

Schitt's Creek - Every "DAVID" From Alexis and Moira
Idk why I enjoyed this so much

I use way too many phrases from Alexis in my everyday life now :laugh:

One of my friends who also loves Schitt’s creek was on ag with me and we kept saying “ew, David” and “love that journey for me” to each other over everything :laugh:

• Haha
I’ve been realizing over the last day or two that the veterinary voices I know of and follow on social media are primarily white, and while I certainly value and esteem these white colleagues and their contributions to our profession, I want to seek out more Black and other POC veterinary colleagues to follow and learn from too. I’ve been doing some searches on my own, but if y’all have any recommendations, I’d love to hear them.

I’ve been realizing over the last day or two that the veterinary voices I know of and follow on social media are primarily white, and while I certainly value and esteem these white colleagues and their contributions to our profession, I want to seek out more Black and other POC veterinary colleagues to follow and learn from too. I’ve been doing some searches on my own, but if y’all have any recommendations, I’d love to hear them.
I was very disappointed by the AVMA's recent post about the protests and unrest happening in our country. I'm eager to hear recommendations as well

I only have 4 classmates of mine of different races. Two Chinese, 1 black, and 1 Hawaiian. All of the males are white. I feel like diversity in the vet world tends to talk about male vs female but I wonder how to encourage more people to pursue vet med from different ethic backgrounds

I was very disappointed by the AVMA's recent post about the protests and unrest happening in our country. I'm eager to hear recommendations as well

Yep. Same here. I sent them a comment expressing my disappointment and was encouraged to see a lot of other colleagues expressing similar sentiments.

A couple of organizations I have found so far and started following for anyone who might be interested:
Black DVM Network
National Association for Black Veterinarians

Not really a rant so I guess I’ll put this here.

@Miranda Senft and I had an interesting experience yesterday of almost having a tree fall directly on top of us during a hike. Needless to say my adrenaline storage was depleted. Myself and one of our friends tripped during our adrenaline-driven sprinting and we both suffered some bruises and scrapes, but otherwise we’re all ok. Fate just reeeeeeally wanted to mess with us in the midst of everything else. I also had a telehealth app today because I have a nasty skinned knee, but I was just being paranoid and it’s pink and healing nicely (although it hurts like a mega sunburn).

Sooooooo yeah, I’m happy staying indoors this week.

• Wow

@Miranda Senft and I had an interesting experience yesterday of almost having a tree fall directly on top of us during a hike. Needless to say my adrenaline storage was depleted. Myself and one of our friends tripped during our adrenaline-driven sprinting and we both suffered some bruises and scrapes, but otherwise we’re all ok. Fate just reeeeeeally wanted to mess with us in the midst of everything else. I also had a telehealth app today because I have a nasty skinned knee, but I was just being paranoid and it’s pink and healing nicely (although it hurts like a mega sunburn).

Glad everyone is okay!! Yikes!!! Please be safe!!!

I only have 4 classmates of mine of different races. Two Chinese, 1 black, and 1 Hawaiian. All of the males are white. I feel like diversity in the vet world tends to talk about male vs female but I wonder how to encourage more people to pursue vet med from different ethic backgrounds
I think part of it has to do with how different cultures view animals and pet ownership, plus socio-economic status. For example, I work in an affluent area that is actually relatively diverse but the vast majority of my clients are white.

I think part of it has to do with how different cultures view animals and pet ownership, plus socio-economic status. For example, I work in an affluent area that is actually relatively diverse but the vast majority of my clients are white.
I feel like that's a big one. A life goal of mine is to help aid bridging the gap for students interested in vet medicine where the biggest obstacles are money/lack of opportunities. Not sure what that'll look like yet but I've been thinking about it for years.

For those who want to see the tree
The red lines are the trail, the tree fell from about 20 feet uphill of the pathway and was about as thick as the tree at the right side of the trail!

Attachments

• tree marked.jpg
    tree marked.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
My aunt owns a horse ranch located far away (very far away) from towns and people.

When she returned home after working on the ranch, she was surprised to find a fawn inside her home.

She thinks the fawn entered her home through an open door she left open for fresh air while she was away.

Fawn10.jpg

She thinks the fawn is less than a week old, but she's not sure.

One of her dogs is becoming attached to the fawn (she owns New Zealand Heading dogs).

She thinks something must have happened to the fawn's mother, and she has not spotted any deer near her home, so she is calling around to find out what she should do about the fawn. The closest veterinarian is 4 hours away from her ranch; and he's accustomed to dealing with horses and livestock, but not fawns.

Fawn20.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
My aunt owns a horse ranch located far away (very far away) from towns and people.

When she returned home after working on the ranch, she was surprised to find a fawn inside her home.

She thinks the fawn entered her home through an open door she left open for fresh air while she was away.

She thinks the fawn is less than a week old, but she's not sure.

One of her dogs is becoming attached to the fawn (she owns New Zealand Heading dogs).

She thinks something must have happened to the fawn's mother, and she has not spotted any deer near her home, so she is calling around to find out what she should do about the fawn. The closest veterinarian is 4 hours away from her ranch; and he's accustomed to dealing with horses and livestock, but not fawns.
How long has it been there with her? Deer often leave fawns in various places and wander off throughout the day, then come back to them, so fawns are very commonly mistaken as abandoned when they aren't.

Reactions: 4 users
How long has it been there with her? Deer often leave fawns in various places and wander off throughout the day, then come back to them, so fawns are very commonly mistaken as abandoned when they aren't.
She does not know how long the fawn was in her home because she was out on the range checking her horses and land; and whatever else she does on her land, from early morning until evening.

Update: she texted me and reported some of her ranch hands found what appears to be the fresh remains of a doe, most likely attacked by a predator. Ugh, poor doe. So they think the fawn is motherless - and so does the DVM who was contacted. She is also contacting Fish and Game for guidance. The fawn is resting comfortably with one of the older heading dogs, and seems very content to be with the gentle dog.

• Sad
I was getting an error message, but it's fixed now. Coffee you must have the magic touch :)

Reactions: 2 users
Random but cool doggo info found from the news (which you guys probably already know) :cat::shy:

Random but cool doggo info found from the news (which you guys probably already know) :cat::shy:

I have seen a different method that does it based on size. An 8 year old Great Dane is not the same as an 8 year old Chihuahua. So the science behind this is cool and it is probably better than multiply by 7, but still not a precise method.

“and receive almost the same standard of health care as humans”

...lemme stop you right there :laugh:

• Haha
I just noticed that dr is hidden within the sdn logo. Haven't been this mindblown since the FedEx arrow.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users