Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just noticed that dr is hidden within the sdn logo. Haven't been this mindblown since the FedEx arrow.
Woooaaahhh I had no idea

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really a rant or a rave but just just the reason for all the things. I made an appointment for the other day and I asked them what is your COVID protocol since everywhere seems to be doing things slightly different. Receptionist tells me "we are pro-oxygen"(indicating no masks required) like ok whatever but like do you know how that makes you sound? Just say no we don't have any special protocol/we don't require masks would have been sufficient and sounded not as ridiculous :bang:

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Not really a rant or a rave but just just the reason for all the things. I made an appointment for the other day and I asked them what is your COVID protocol since everywhere seems to be doing things slightly different. Receptionist tells me "we are pro-oxygen"(indicating no masks required) like ok whatever but like do you know how that makes you sound? Just say no we don't have any special protocol/we don't require masks would have been sufficient and sounded not as ridiculous :bang:

seems like wearing a mask to prevent getting covid would be conceivably more “pro oxygen” but whatever makes them feel better about themselves. Lol

Reactions: 15 users
“Cool well I’m pro not killing people, byeeee”

Reactions: 10 users
Seriously. Pro-oxygen? How inordinately stupid.
I'm curious if this was an appointment for some type of healthcare (in which case triple shame on them) or for something less healthcare inclined like getting a car serviced. Completely stupid either way.

Just gotta double down on the conspiracy theories. "You support oxygen?!?! But everyone who has EVER died has been exposed to oxygen, it's so toxic! Did you know it's explosive and can kill you at 100% concentrations? Don't fall for Big Oxygen's lies!!!"

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I'm curious if this was an appointment for some type of healthcare (in which case triple shame on them) or for something less healthcare inclined like getting a car serviced. Completely stupid either way.

Just gotta double down on the conspiracy theories. "You support oxygen?!?! But everyone who has EVER died has been exposed to oxygen, it's so toxic! Did you know it's explosive and can kill you at 100% concentrations? Don't fall for Big Oxygen's lies!!!"

I mean technically oxygen is killing you...free-radicals and stuff

Reactions: 4 users

It's a triple shame definitely talking to them when I go in. Its one thing to not require a mask in a state that's not mandated but its things like this is why we have a problem with the general public among the other issues.

Just as an aside out of all the places I've been medical wise since this all started it is shocking the degree of adherence to mask wearing among medical professionals that tbh I dont understand. I guess to the regular joe it seems fine but as someone who knows the whole proper mask wearing shebang its interesting is all

Reactions: 1 user
In case this year wasn’t way out of line already, I saw Dr. Pol brand horse and cattle feed at Tractor Supply last week :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly even medical professionals at my own hospital have horrible mask wearing habits. Including faculty. And residents. Granted no one has gotten COVID at the VMTH but come on people! It's especially frustrating when they do it in close proximity such as restraining a dog.

Reactions: 7 users
Honestly even medical professionals at my own hospital have horrible mask wearing habits. Including faculty. And residents. Granted no one has gotten COVID at the VMTH but come on people! It's especially frustrating when they do it in close proximity such as restraining a dog.
Meanwhile one of our clinicians would shout "Don't come in, I'm naked!!!" if we tried to come in to her office while she had her mask off :p

I've definitely seen people be pretty lax with their masks too, though. Frustrating

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Apparently WSU is now requiring face shields in addition to masks anytime you're working with someone else less than 6 feet away. I feel like that is definitely not being followed well considering how resistant some people were to just masks :rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Apparently WSU is now requiring face shields in addition to masks anytime you're working with someone else less than 6 feet away. I feel like that is definitely not being followed well considering how resistant some people were to just masks :rolleyes:
Ive yet to see people not wearing their masks while working in the vth and I pop into places at strange times unexpectedly. Thats not to say it doesnt happen though and I just havent seen it. I've definitely seen more faceshields around but didnt know why. Have seen multiple people knock themselves because of it though

I don't necessarily feel that people are resistant to it (although in some rare cases...) it's just that people fidget with them a lot or they'll fog up a piece of equipment they're trying to use. Or they'll automatically pull them down to talk on the phone. No lady, they can hear you through the mask I promise. If they tried they could overcome that I think they just don't see it as a priority, which is also sad.

Ive yet to see people not wearing their masks while working in the vth and I pop into places at strange times unexpectedly. Thats not to say it doesnt happen though and I just havent seen it. I've definitely seen more faceshields around but didnt know why. Have seen multiple people knock themselves because of it though
I was referring just to the face shields now. The resistence was in the early days of the masks. In April I had to go in to turn in some paperwork and so many people weren't wearing them, even though they had been told they should be by then .

It's a state mandate so they better actually be enforcing it now lol

they are doing this here too...face shields anytime we have to go up front to talk to clients. everyone here seems to be following if even if we all hate it.

7054C6CB-227D-4D5B-AEA0-1E2961AEB62B.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
See, I don't know who they are.

Reactions: 10 users
Today an owner told me my hair matches the color of a Golden Retriever and it was just so random and adorable :laugh:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
2020 has been so long already I forgot Love is Blind happened during it?? And tiger king feels like it was at least two years ago

Reactions: 6 users
I actually really enjoyed the Tiger King train wreck. You want to work with exotics, right? These are your people! :rofl:
Omg genny those are NOT my people! I haven't watched it because it would send me into a fit of rage :laugh:

One of our receptionists ordered some fancy scrubs and the company accidentally sent her a few extra pairs of pants so she gave me a pair. I might be converted....

Millenials in Medicine. So comfy, super cute, and they have ALLL the pockets. I’ve never had scrub pants with pockets that deep (never mind that many of them).

One of our receptionists ordered some fancy scrubs and the company accidentally sent her a few extra pairs of pants so she gave me a pair. I might be converted....

Millenials in Medicine. So comfy, super cute, and they have ALLL the pockets. I’ve never had scrub pants with pockets that deep (never mind that many of them).
Why they gotta not come in talls :lame:

Anyone have any recommendations on blogs/videos/FAQs on dry shampoo for a dog? She hates water, except to drink. She will lay in a "baby" pool, if she has been running and playing. Otherwise, any type of bath is out of the question. She only weighs 60 lbs, but that is more than I can handle. She will let me brush her, (she is short hair) so I am thinking like some type of dry shampoo?? She is not "muddy" dirty, she just smells. LOL

Anyone have any recommendations on blogs/videos/FAQs on dry shampoo for a dog? She hates water, except to drink. She will lay in a "baby" pool, if she has been running and playing. Otherwise, any type of bath is out of the question. She only weighs 60 lbs, but that is more than I can handle. She will let me brush her, (she is short hair) so I am thinking like some type of dry shampoo?? She is not "muddy" dirty, she just smells. LOL
We have a local pet store chain that lets you rent out their dog cleaning space. Usually pretty inexpensive, and they have walk up tubs that you can close the door behind them on, lol. Dunno how COVID is impacting that, but worth maybe investigating. There is dog dry shampoo, but at 60lbs she's gonna go through a loooot of it. :laugh:

I kinda dislike waterless shampoos. If you’re just wanting a quick smell refresh because company is coming over it can be okay, but usually if the dog is dirty enough to need a bath, a waterless shampoo won’t cut it and you’re just temporarily masking the smell. If your dog needs baths 2-3x a year and they’re too difficult for you, I think taking the dog to a groomer or the self service tub like Ski mentioned might be the better way to go. Not really what you’re talking about, but It drives me crazy when vet staff would just apply waterless shampoo to a diarrhea dog’s butt trying to “clean it”...That doesn’t really help, get it out and wash it off.

Also if it’s a sudden change from a non-smelly to smelly dog, there could be an underlying medical cause and a visit to the vet could be beneficial. I didn’t get that impression but just in case...

No, not any skin issue or anything. Just doggy smell! I will not go to one of our "stores" here, because a. they shaved my golden retriever. to the skin. I was extremely upset. and they just blew me off. and the other does not have a very good reputation at all. the one that was associated with our vet has closed. It really has not been a big deal before, we have managed with a once a year thing. But both of us are now a little less able to wrangle her, (and she about filleted hubby's arm the last time, trying to get away) so was trying to come up with an alternative.

Thank you guys, I appreciate all ya'll!!!

In my area, nearly every single veterinary clinic has a long waiting list for scheduling routine veterinary appointments. Many "routine/non-urgent" appointments are being scheduled 6-9 weeks later. The veterinarians are really busy, and seem to be even busier now, than before the Covid-19 pandemic.

For instance, my cat's veterinary office called me to confirm my cat's routine dental exam and dental cleaning. I confirmed it for next month ... no worries. It's a small animal general practice that employs 7 full-time veterinarians (dogs and cats only); and it is open 7 days a week. They said they are backlogged for at least a month with so many pet appointments.

Just curious ...

Is this backlog of cases happening in veterinary med practices everywhere? If yes, is there a reason why? Are more pet owners - who are working at home due to Covid - now taking the time to schedule vet med appointments for their pets, and that is causing a backlog of cases? Just wondering, that's all.

In my area, nearly every single veterinary clinic has a long waiting list for scheduling routine veterinary appointments. Many "routine/non-urgent" appointments are being scheduled 6-9 weeks later. The veterinarians are really busy, and seem to be even busier now, than before the Covid-19 pandemic.

For instance, my cat's veterinary office called me to confirm my cat's routine dental exam and dental cleaning. I confirmed it for next month ... no worries. It's a small animal general practice that employs 7 full-time veterinarians (dogs and cats only); and it is open 7 days a week. They said they are backlogged for at least a month with so many pet appointments.

Just curious ...

Is this backlog of cases happening in veterinary med practices everywhere? If yes, is there a reason why? Are more pet owners - who are working at home due to Covid - now taking the time to schedule vet med appointments for their pets, and that is causing a backlog of cases? Just wondering, that's all.
Definitely happening in my area but I don't have any insight as to the cause.

Just curious ...

Yes, it is everywhere. We're all overwhelmed and honestly I'm worried about how much longer my colleagues can keep up. It is bad. Morale is down. Everywhere is slammed. People both don't have money and have extra money.

I think there's many factors...with quarantine there was a push to adopt/foster since people were going to be home. So many people who wouldn't have gotten a pet yet decided to get one since they're home.

2. People are staring at their pets and not realizing normal things are normal so they're rushing in because they've never seen the pet do that, because they're usually not home to see it.

3. People have free time, they're bored. So might as well get that 5 month long lump checked out our that 7 week long limp or well, might as well do Fluffy's well visit now since we've got nothing else to do.

4. People are approving more diagnostics. That extra unemployment money combined with not having anywhere to go means a number of people have the funds to actually do diagnostics/hospitalize. When you increase the number of people doing things wait times increase. Testing takes time, so all the people that used to elect meds and monitor are now jumping to diagnostics and it backlogs the system. I've heard of ERs running out of kennel space, fluid pumps, etc, they're having to close because the case load is more than the clinic capacity.

Reactions: 9 users
Edit: what DVMD said, haha.

I think that’s a great question. Most people I know say things are crazy busy. I do think curbside appointments take longer and I wonder if some of it is that people feel busier because if that but I’ve seen lots of people say they’re having record months production wise. I don’t think anyone knows what’s happening and why for certain. There did seem to be a wave of pandemic puppies/kittens where people thought being home meant it was a perfect time for a new animal. Vets were reporting they were seeing so many new pets for vaccines especially early on, but again it’s hard to say if they’re really increased or if it just felt increased because there were fewer doctors scheduled and/or people were saying to skip older pet wellness appointments in favor of puppyhood vaccines and sick patients. I think with people being home they probably are noticing more issues with their pets and they’re valuing them more and getting things addressed. Or they’re bored and want to get chronic stuff looked at finally. A company with a fairly popular practice management software and they say that vet visits are currently up about 5% compared to pre-covid levels. It’ll be interesting to see if this trend continues or if, once the economic fallout really hits and the economic support measures like extra unemployment and the stimulus payments run out, things will drop back down or go even lower. No one really knows. The GP clinic I take my dog to is booking about a week in advance for non-emergent appointments and about 3 weeks for surgery. Which reminds me I need to schedule a neuter...

Reactions: 5 users
5. Many clinics are short staffed. They've gone to a teams based system to reduce risk/spread of covid. Some clinics closed completely, so there's also less clinics open thus compounding things for the open clinics.

Reactions: 5 users