Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We're swamped and our production is up. Seeing a lot of new pets (puppies/kittens/newly adopted) but also seeing a lot more sick things. I don't think I've had anything that has been normal and the owner didn't realize it. Most things we're trying to work in really do need worked in as it's sick. Get people approving most of what I recommend so am doing more diagnostics than I had been. Besides that though, there are some clinics that are closed right now and so those clients are having to find somewhere else to go

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
We are also crazy busy. And our local ER is so swamped that they’re turning away many non-critical cases, sending them to get appointments with their rdvms the next morning. Except that all the rdvms are booking out a week in advance. It’s bananas.

Reactions: 1 user
My conspiracy theory is also that animals that otherwise would have died mysteriously at home while the owners were at work are being caught by owners in time to get brought in.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my area, nearly every single veterinary clinic has a long waiting list for scheduling routine veterinary appointments. Many "routine/non-urgent" appointments are being scheduled 6-9 weeks later. The veterinarians are really busy, and seem to be even busier now, than before the Covid-19 pandemic.

For instance, my cat's veterinary office called me to confirm my cat's routine dental exam and dental cleaning. I confirmed it for next month ... no worries. It's a small animal general practice that employs 7 full-time veterinarians (dogs and cats only); and it is open 7 days a week. They said they are backlogged for at least a month with so many pet appointments.

Just curious ...

Is this backlog of cases happening in veterinary med practices everywhere? If yes, is there a reason why? Are more pet owners - who are working at home due to Covid - now taking the time to schedule vet med appointments for their pets, and that is causing a backlog of cases? Just wondering, that's all.
We're also really busy. Booked out two weeks for appointments, not sure about surgeries. We're able to fit some more urgent things in as drop offs. When I asked my boss about it he said that this time of year is always pretty busy, for the main clinic location in particular, we get tourists who bring their pets along and then they develop some problem. Even with tourism down a bit though we're still busy and he said in our case it's because we stayed open when some other clinics in the area closed, so there was a bit of a bottleneck and even now with other places reopening they have a backlog of appointments too.

Probably all the factors people already mentioned as well!

Reactions: 3 users
My vet was able to open up for regular routine stuff at the veeeeery end of May and two days later I was trying to schedule my new dog for a spay and they were already fully booked out for over a month. Granted, they’re a small practice and only do a few surgeries a couple days a week, but usually you can get in for a procedure a looooot sooner (maybe 2 weeks vs 5-6 weeks)

Reactions: 2 users
This is very off-topic, but has anybody else been asked multiple times by family, friends, and acquaintances for veterinary advice? I’m still in undergrad, but people come to me fairly often asking for advice with their pets. I’m the go-to “animal person” and have been asked for advice since middle school. I just had an old acquaintance from high school message me out of the blue and ask if I could tell her how to identify the sex of a kitten. Haven’t spoken to her in about 2 years?? I’ve been asked about cats getting into a fight, dogs eating chocolate, does my cat have acne, is this wound infected, etc. I’m flattered that they come to me for advice, but also google exists (or they could call and ask their vet) and I’m definitely not qualified to give out veterinary advice.

This is very off-topic, but has anybody else been asked multiple times by family, friends, and acquaintances for veterinary advice? I’m still in undergrad, but people come to me fairly often asking for advice with their pets. I’m the go-to “animal person” and have been asked for advice since middle school. I just had an old acquaintance from high school message me out of the blue and ask if I could tell her how to identify the sex of a kitten. Haven’t spoken to her in about 2 years?? I’ve been asked about cats getting into a fight, dogs eating chocolate, does my cat have acne, is this wound infected, etc. I’m flattered that they come to me for advice, but also google exists (or they could call and ask their vet) and I’m definitely not qualified to give out veterinary advice.

you should just answer...“hmmm lemme google that for you. This is what google says. I’m not sure if it’s true. But this is what google says. *shrug*”

• Haha
you should just answer...“hmmm lemme google that for you. This is what google says. I’m not sure if it’s true. But this is what google says. *shrug*”
I also go with “hm I’m not sure but that does look/sound concerning. You should probably call your vet and make an appointment.”

Reactions: 1 users

Just tell them they need to call a vet. Every time. Because that's the answer. Please for the love of all the gods in the universe don't Google or encourage them to Google.

I've lost count on the number of animals that would've been fine but owner googled and did something stupid from reading the Internet and the pet then actually needed emergency care. Have seen a few even die from bad Google info.

Just tell them, your not a vet and even if you were, you can't legally give advice they need to call their vet.

Prepare to get these questions for the rest of your life, especially from people you haven't talked to in years :heckyeah:

Reactions: 5 users
Prepare to get these questions for the rest of your life, especially from people you haven't talked to in years :heckyeah:
Oh hi aunt who divorced my uncle (for very valid reasons) before he OD'd and died over a decade ago and who has remarried and I haven't seen since and lives in a different country... your dog is itchy, you say? :lame:

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 10 users

I'm the type of person that loves to catch up with old friends, and I used to get so excited when I would see a text from someone I hadn't talked to in a while... not anymore. :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
Or people you've never even met. My sister's husband's sister's friend called me (a lab animal vet) to ask a question about her dog while she was hiking out in the Colorado Rockies (I was in Chicago at the time). I have no idea who thought that was appropriate, like did my brother in law give my number to his sister who then gave it to her friend?? I had only even met the sister at the wedding so its not like we were close...

People you never talk to on Facebook but are friends with will also message you out of the blue once they hear you're a vet. Just have to shut them down, for me its easier because I just tell them I work with monkeys and mice and they should ask their vet questions about their dog/cat/bearded dragon.

Reactions: 4 users
My go to is usually "If you're worried enough to ask me then you're worried enough to go to your vet". Although I will be sad once I graduate and can't pull out "I only know enough to be dangerous" anymore.

The only people I'll discuss vet questions with are my parents (because god help them) and friends who start with telling me they already have an appointment scheduled and are looking for an idea of what they might expect at the appointment or whether they should consider bringing it in sooner.

Wow I was not expecting this many replies, glad I am not the only one who deals with this and I am not looking forward to getting even more requests as I go through vet school and after I graduate.

I usually do this if it is 100% not veterinary related at all and just pet ownership (like someone asked me to recommend which catnip brand was best?) or in the specific case I mentioned above of the person asking how to identify the sex of a cat, I sent her pictures and diagrams and then told her to take the stray cat to a vet or shelter.

I also go with “hm I’m not sure but that does look/sound concerning. You should probably call your vet and make an appointment.”
Just tell them they need to call a vet. Every time. Because that's the answer. Please for the love of all the gods in the universe don't Google or encourage them to Google.

I've lost count on the number of animals that would've been fine but owner googled and did something stupid from reading the Internet and the pet then actually needed emergency care. Have seen a few even die from bad Google info.

Just tell them, your not a vet and even if you were, you can't legally give advice they need to call their vet.

This is exactly what I do when it is a medical issue. Another person I knew in high school texted me yesterday asking if his cat was licking too much :unsure: and I told him he should call his vet. I do not want any animals getting sicker because of something I said, so that is why I try to be extremely cautious. It is hard right now for people to see a vet in my area though, as many places are fully booked for weeks and even emergency clinics are having to close or limit how many emergencies they can treat. So I can see why he reached out about something that doesn't seem *too* serious.

Oh great, time for me to come up with even more reasons why I am absolutely not qualified to give advice (I like VetMedHead's "I only know enough to be dangerous" line).

Or people you've never even met. My sister's husband's sister's friend called me (a lab animal vet) to ask a question about her dog while she was hiking out in the Colorado Rockies (I was in Chicago at the time). I have no idea who thought that was appropriate, like did my brother in law give my number to his sister who then gave it to her friend?? I had only even met the sister at the wedding so its not like we were close...

People you never talk to on Facebook but are friends with will also message you out of the blue once they hear you're a vet. Just have to shut them down, for me its easier because I just tell them I work with monkeys and mice and they should ask their vet questions about their dog/cat/bearded dragon.

That is insane that someone you have never met would have the audacity to call you? Fortunately the only people who contact me are people who I've actually spoken to before, even if it was many years ago.

My go to is usually "If you're worried enough to ask me then you're worried enough to go to your vet". Although I will be sad once I graduate and can't pull out "I only know enough to be dangerous" anymore.

The only people I'll discuss vet questions with are my parents (because god help them) and friends who start with telling me they already have an appointment scheduled and are looking for an idea of what they might expect at the appointment or whether they should consider bringing it in sooner.

My grandparents are amazing pet owners and they frequently ask me for advice on their ancient dogs (they have a diabetic puggle who is almost 17). I always tell them to call their vet, but they appreciate me breaking down the medical info they receive from her and they actually listen to me if I tell them they need to take one of their dogs to the vet ASAP.

My grandparents are amazing pet owners and they frequently ask me for advice on their ancient dogs (they have a diabetic puggle who is almost 17). I always tell them to call their vet, but they appreciate me breaking down the medical info they receive from her and they actually listen to me if I tell them they need to take one of their dogs to the vet ASAP.
I have definitely done a lot of translation for my parents, especially bloodwork results. Although I kind of hate it because sometimes they ask their vet NO questions and then come home and call me to ask all of the questions they had. wtf, the woman's been in practice since I was 11, and also actually knows what is going on with your cat, I'm pretty sure she is better equipped to answer all of these questions for you.

A friend of my dad's messaged me yesterday because their Dobbie has stopped eating his grain free Blue Buffalo. So I told him to talk to his vet and make an appointment since it could be so much. But then I got on a mini soap box about feeding grain free for a hot paragraph.

My go to is to say I don't know anything, so talk to their vet. When I graduate, for the randos that come out of the wood work, I'm going to tell them that I could lose my license if I don't see their pet. For family, I'm going to tell them that there's a statement in my contract that I cannot treat friend/family pets to avoid those situations. I have no desire to be responsible for the veterinary care of pets of people I know.

I have definitely done a lot of translation for my parents, especially bloodwork results. Although I kind of hate it because sometimes they ask their vet NO questions and then come home and call me to ask all of the questions they had. wtf, the woman's been in practice since I was 11, and also actually knows what is going on with your cat, I'm pretty sure she is better equipped to answer all of these questions for you.

At least they respect your opinion I guess? My parents had an ancient chihuahua that had a lot of issues and eventually went into kidney and liver failure before they finally ended up euthanizing last December. I always recommended they talk to the vet managing him, but they would still constantly call me for help interpreting bloodwork, clinical signs, treatment options etc. They would then promptly ignore everything I said, and would later come back to me, so surprised when their vet would confirm/agree with the things I had suggested. Gee, thanks for that vote of confidence, mom. :laugh:

At least they respect your opinion I guess? My parents had an ancient chihuahua that had a lot of issues and eventually went into kidney and liver failure before they finally ended up euthanizing last December. I always recommended they talk to the vet managing him, but they would still constantly call me for help interpreting bloodwork, clinical signs, treatment options etc. They would then promptly ignore everything I said, and would later come back to me, so surprised when their vet would confirm/agree with the things I had suggested. Gee, thanks for that vote of confidence, mom. :laugh:
Oh no I mean they also ignore just about every suggestion I've ever given them. Then get mad when it doesn't resolve. They are the "We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!" types

• Haha
A friend of my dad's messaged me yesterday because their Dobbie has stopped eating his grain free Blue Buffalo. So I told him to talk to his vet and make an appointment since it could be so much. But then I got on a mini soap box about feeding grain free for a hot paragraph.

My go to is to say I don't know anything, so talk to their vet. When I graduate, for the randos that come out of the wood work, I'm going to tell them that I could lose my license if I don't see their pet. For family, I'm going to tell them that there's a statement in my contract that I cannot treat friend/family pets to avoid those situations. I have no desire to be responsible for the veterinary care of pets of people I know.
Oh god, I just got a text out if the blue from a sister I haven't spoken to in ten+ years about if she should feed her dog raw food. I told her flat out over my dead body (she has infants in the house). I think she may have listened so yay?

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
just curious, but why not feed raw if you have infants?
Babies have weak immune systems and raw food has a lot of germs.
Yes that but also if your dog gets infected with salmonella or ecoli which is honestly very common with raw food diets, the pets can infect the children not just the food. Anything they sit on. Anything they lick. It can all spread it. With children in the house that's just asking for a food based illness. It can be very serious in young children.

Reactions: 8 users
Also why it's not recommended in homes with older or immunocompromised adults. I've also seen dogs get endocarditis related to raw food diets so it's not exactly good for them either lol

Yes that but also if your dog gets infected with salmonella or ecoli which is honestly very common with raw food diets, the pets can infect the children not just the food. Anything they sit on. Anything they lick. It can all spread it. With children in the house that's just asking for a food based illness. It can be very serious in young children.

I mean salmonella-ladened slobber and feces and butt juices all over the house just isn't good for anyone.

To add to this... dogs and cats can carry salmonella and ecoli without being sick from it. So it isn't just the raw food preparationyou need to worry about like when cooking your own food. Dogs and cats shed that bacteria in their saliva, feces, etc for a long time if they're on the diet regularly. And cats being very fastidious groomers you're basically handling a salmonella/ecoli fur vessel every time you pet a cat that is raw fed.

People know to use caution/wash hand with reptiles because they also carry the bacteria, but they don't with fuzzy mcmittens or fabulous fido...they cuddle, squish, pet, let them sleep in the bed, etc.

That’s what I meant - dog eats raw food, germs infest dog, dog spreads germs.

I can't recall what thread the spelling of veterinarian incorrectly was laughed about, but this was an error in today's online DVM360 news. lol
spellingishard.jpeg

• Haha
I am watching The Greatest Showman for the first time and it's fantastic
Love the songs and choreography. Disappointed with how they handled the story. So when I watch it (or listen to the soundtrack, which is often) I have to pretend it's not based on PT Barnum haha

My sister was out running errands and saw a man try to go to Applebee's. The employees told him that he had to wear a mask to enter. He proceeded to get livid and stomp partially back into the parking lot.

The man then strips himself down to shorts and socks and proceeds to scream, on repeat, "No shoes, no shirt, no service."

• Hmm
  • Haha
@WildZoo I know someone whose son runs a zoo in Jaimaica and for some reason today is the first time that I've thought about how much in common you two have

not that that is especially useful information, it's just interesting

@WildZoo I know someone whose son runs a zoo in Jaimaica and for some reason today is the first time that I've thought about how much in common you two have

not that that is especially useful information, it's just interesting
Who knows, maybe we're related lol

sitting here, listening to Gracie snore...wondering, do dogs have sleep apnea? LOL....she is so vocal when she sleeps. Snores, snorts, growls, whines...I wish I could see what she is dreaming.

Am I allowed to put a link to our class fundraiser up? We have crew necks embroidered with just vet med and the caduceus (the V and snake thing) and lots of colors so not school specific

Am I allowed to put a link to our class fundraiser up? We have crew necks embroidered with just vet med and the caduceus (the V and snake thing) and lots of colors so not school specific
No on said no and a couple likes so here you go. Feel free to report if inappropriate and I will delete
Its individual shipping and payments due to covid so no worries about needing to be near MI to pick up

Hey all you Apple Watch users - what do you use your watch for/in what ways do you find it to be useful? Especially at work in the clinic setting. I was just gifted one and am trying to figure out how I might be able to best utilize it.

I mostly use mine for the fitness settings and to be able to screen texts/notifications/calls to see what I need to pull out my phone to address and what can wait. It’s super easy to set timers which is good to remind you to do something. I also used Apple Pay through mine at the vending machines way more than I should have. Oh, and pick a watch face with the second hand for vitals. I probably don’t use mine to it’s full ability but those are my most common uses.

I mostly use mine for the fitness settings and to be able to screen texts/notifications/calls to see what I need to pull out my phone to address and what can wait.
This is my favourite thing about smartwatches. I've had one since Pebbles were a thing, lol. The amount of crap emails I got during vet school was insane.

Thankfully gmail has gotten better about sorting inboxes since those stone ages, but the ability to dismiss and delete junk emails from my wrist and not have to pull my phone out constantly to check is a huge perk.