Rank order dilemma for top programs-please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jackie1.

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have interviewed at several places and I feel as if they all show their happy faces on interview day so that never really helps. MY situation is that I want a fellowship spot in either GI, nephro, or possibly rheum, and I cannot decide what program has the best reputation for a broad selection of fellowships and is the most competitive (thus better generally). I want the best program where I can pretty much go anywhere after residency in any of the named fellowships above. So with location and benefits aside, what place is best between BIDMC, Mayo clinic, U of Michigan, Mount Sinai, and Yale? I am a person more interested in clinical stuff rather than hardcore bench research and want a place that fellowship directors will say "He came from here, he gets an interview at least." Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Mayo
2. BIDMC
3. Yale
4. U Mich
5. Sinai

greeneyes23 said:
1. Mayo
2. BIDMC
3. Yale
4. U Mich
5. Sinai

agree with above, might switch 4 and 5......but i dont really know much about u mich so ignore me on that :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
if you look at where their residents go you will find that Yale residents have a much better choice of fellowships than do BI residents. In fact it isn't even comparable.

greeneyes23 said:
1. Mayo
2. BIDMC
3. Yale
4. U Mich
5. Sinai

1. BIDMC
2. U Mich
3. Yale
4. Mayo
5. Sinai

#s 1 and 2 are pretty similar and interchangeable. BIDMC, U Mich, and Yale have the stronger academic reputation and residency programs among this group. Mayo is much better known for its fellowship program. Sinai is probably the weaker one in this group, as far as reputation goes. This order will probably give you the most advantage in fellowship applications.

Interestingly, I feel that the Mayo IM program is often overrated on this forum. While it is no doubt a strong program, it is considered by most in the academic arena (faculty, PD, fellowship directors) to be not nearly as strong as its fellowship programs. If one is to rank IM programs, it would probably be somewhere around 20-30 in the country - not quite the same as U Mich, Yale, BID, Columbia, Duke, etc.

Although I've rotated through BIDMC and really like it (and would LOVED to have interviewed there), I would not say it is a top 10 program by any means, nor are the fellowship matches mind-blowing from what I hear. NO Harvard grads matched there for IM this year, as it seems they chose to go to BWH or MGH. The BID fellowship programs themselves are quite impressive, but tend to take more grads from BWH and Brown then their own grads, and the BWH fellowship programs (for example) seem just as likely to take grads of programs like Brown, UMass, BU, and Maine Medical Center as BIDMC from what I hear. Nonetheless, you can still get great fellowships out of BID, and the Gen Med training is awesome. It's just not up there with Hopkins, BWH, MGH, Yale, Duke, UCSF, Penn, Stanford etc. in terms of pure reputation (granted, this is somewhat presumed). Probably more on par with Columbia, Cornell, UVA, UNC-Chapel Hill, UMich, but some might even question that..