RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My rant is stupid, but I ordered a book on Tuesday from B&N and it has been in New Jersey ever since (I live in CA). They (UPS) hasn't updated the book's status since 3:21 AM Wednesday. I know today is only Friday, but seriously. It hasn't even been moved? Not to the west coast? Nowhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Trematode and EL - Interesting discussion here. I majored in Nutrition at Cornell and actually took Dr. T. Colin Campbell's course (Vegetarian Nutrition). He's the one of "Forks Over Knives" fame in the movie. Cornell has since cancelled the course a few years ago. Anyway, what I learned in school is that it's nearly impossible to change someone else's eating habits (the older we get, the harder to change). I'm sorry your parents are having such a hard time with their health. I do think that movie is highly motivating and could go a long way to getting them started. I also, am "veganish" but not as strict as Dr. Campbell suggests (and not as thin as Dr. Campbell). However, my cholesterol level is like the "rural Chinese" (as described in the film). Most people don't have a great understanding of nutrition, so it's hard for them to know exactly what to do and how to change. Additionally, there is so much misinformation out there (non-scientific, celebrity diets, etc.) I was always a "foodie" and interested in nutrition. But it took going back to college in 2004 to get the scoop from the real experts to be able to separate the fact from fiction (and still...experts disagree on some points). Just try and set a good example, and don't preach too much to the parents. Give them the movie and maybe a couple of good books by real nutritionists. It's then in their hands.

I'm so sorry for your loss Kaydubs. It's always so difficult to lose our kitties. I hope you feel better soon.
:hug: Thank you.

Trema - hang in. It's always hard to watch the ones we love suffer. Just be there for your dad now and cherish the moments you share. Best wishes & I hope things improve!!!

I feel so incredibly lost right now because I don't know if I will be able to find something else I would be happy and satisfied doing.
I hear ya! I got off the wagon, turned my back on this whole process cause I was tired of people telling me that they knew all along I would do this, etc. But, vet school and all that goes with it? It MUST be your choice. I feel more committed and stronger about the decision to return because I MADE IT.

That's the best part about this forum. Each of us, in our own way, tries to help other individuals. But the take-home message? Make sure it's what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did really poorly on my carbohydrate and lipid metabolism exam last week. Just failed a quiz tonight. I started the class of really well and now it is spiralling out of control. Ugh.

I am overbooked on pet sitting (my own stupid fault, I know) and I am going bonkers. I won't have slept at home in 2 straight weeks by the time I'm done, plus I've got a couple kitties with medical issues to do, and I only got 3 hours of sleep last night.

Can't wait for this to be over. Clients are making me crazy.

Trematode and EL - Interesting discussion here. I majored in Nutrition at Cornell and actually took Dr. T. Colin Campbell's course (Vegetarian Nutrition). He's the one of "Forks Over Knives" fame in the movie. Cornell has since cancelled the course a few years ago. Anyway, what I learned in school is that it's nearly impossible to change someone else's eating habits (the older we get, the harder to change). I'm sorry your parents are having such a hard time with their health. I do think that movie is highly motivating and could go a long way to getting them started. I also, am "veganish" but not as strict as Dr. Campbell suggests (and not as thin as Dr. Campbell). However, my cholesterol level is like the "rural Chinese" (as described in the film). Most people don't have a great understanding of nutrition, so it's hard for them to know exactly what to do and how to change. Additionally, there is so much misinformation out there (non-scientific, celebrity diets, etc.) I was always a "foodie" and interested in nutrition. But it took going back to college in 2004 to get the scoop from the real experts to be able to separate the fact from fiction (and still...experts disagree on some points). Just try and set a good example, and don't preach too much to the parents. Give them the movie and maybe a couple of good books by real nutritionists. It's then in their hands.

Thanks for that Bisbee :D
I am trying my hardest not to preach. It is very difficult.
I walked into the kitchen this morning, half asleep, and the first thing that was said to me was about dad's bloodwork and it just threw me through a loop. I feel kind of crappy about it now :(.

My BF's laptop was stolen. He left it in his locked office that he shares with other grad students while he went to TA. Comes back and it is gone. I'm so angry. He spent $2200 on that stupid thing and still owed $900 on it.I'm angry at him for not being responsible and angry at the person who took it. I'm already shelling out extra money for transportation because of this stupid transit strike we are in even worse financial shape because of this. So frustrated!!!!!!

I know this was not his fault but I can't pick up the financial burden. I'm stretched to the max as it is, trying to juggle 2 jobs plus do everything else. I'm overwhelmed as it is and this did not help. Ergh so frustrated :mad:

I made my dad a power point of all the things I learned in nutrition (including the very scary things) and showed it to him... in terms he could understand of course. I don't even ask him to be a vegetarian, just to stop cleaning food off people's plates!! lol

Thanks for that Bisbee :D
I am trying my hardest not to preach. It is very difficult.
I walked into the kitchen this morning, half asleep, and the first thing that was said to me was about dad's bloodwork and it just threw me through a loop. I feel kind of crappy about it now :(.

They know we only do it because we care. The same reason they have lectured us our whole lives! :D

Did I mention that cat went to the vet the other day and the vet said she's overweight?
But she is active...
But she won't eat wet food...
But she drinks a lot...

:bang:
I am beginning to think that it makes mom feel good to have everyone be overweight. I wonder what is going to happen when she succumbs to a weight-related illness. She already has bad arthritis and gall-bladder problems. :(

Did I mention that cat went to the vet the other day and the vet said she's overweight?
But she is active...
But she won't eat wet food...
But she drinks a lot...

:bang:

:laugh::laugh: Sorry Trematode

They know we only do it because we care. The same reason they have lectured us our whole lives! :D

Yeah...it's so true. My adult kids lecture me sometimes, too (daughter says my hair isn't right, son says I should "clicker train" the dogs, add more hot pepper to the sauce, buy a new couch, yada, yada, yada....) I still lecture them, too. Families...that's what we do.

Just giving a little update. I was freaking out over my assessment test for nothing. Absolutely not related to the position I was applying for and got asked stupid questions like what type of bolt is this or what type of pliers these are. F if i know.

Members don't see this ad :)
My favorite is when you have a male doctor and you tell them that blah blah blah pretty sure I have a UTI and I've taken Azo ect. They do the test and they come in and are like well we cant tell you may have a UTI or possibly an STD and all that jazz. As a women when hes discussing this I just want to ring his neck. I have a UTI damnit I need to pee ever 5 minutes Abx NOW please!
lol, I know what you mean. My doctor was really good about responding to my one and only UTI incident STAT, but your story reminds me of all the facepalm moments back in college. For some reason, if I went to the school infirmary for ANY problem, be it tummy ache or headache or anything, they wouldn't do any further diagnosis without a pregnancy test. Like seriously, even if I said, "well that's impossible. this place is a convent. the only place i've been to outside of my dorm room and classes is CVS half a mile away where i was certainly not having sex, my bf's in ca, and i'm not desperate enough to sleep with some random mit frat boy. if i were preggers it would be from parthenogenesis and i'd be super famous," the policy was pregnancy unless proven otherwise :confused:. it was quite frustrating.

Eff Valentine's Day. [...]

After about 6 excellent dates, (seemingly) mutual attraction, and a plan for a casual non-valentine's day themed date this evening... she stood me up for dinner and never called.

Why is it that every woman vocally and incessantly pines for the theoretical guy with manners, brains, a sense of humor and basic standards of decorum, but runs away screaming when he's actually in front of them?

SIX dates... and she stood you up... on valentine's day without saying ANYTHING? what a b****! damn, that's something. Watevs though, vday's totally lame anyways. I also spent it allllllll byyyyy myyyyyseee~lf... despite not being single. lame. (Was this an online dating thing? Could she have been one of those peeps straddling multiple dates... and picked the most 'oh so romantic valentine's date' to actually attend?)

FWIW though, it kinda creeps me out when a guy is too nice. It makes me wonder what it is that they're really hiding inside. It also makes me self-conscious of my own faults and forces me to be on my best behavior... which is also not fun. Not implying that's how you presented yourself, but at least for me, that's why I tend to not go far with the "perfect gentleman" type.

When it rains, it pours....

Our kitty, Harper, passed away today. she was diagnosed with feline lymphoma over a year ago. still breaks my heart though. :( she almost made it to 12 - such a trooper....

for the record, after last month's middle week and this one's? I kind of want to skip the rest of these weeks for awhile.....:cry:

:( I'm so sorry for your loss kaydubs. cancer sucks so freaking bad...

I've had my ass handed to me (via phone) twice today; and I'm STILLat work!!!!!! :bang::boom:

Sundays are not supposed to be 12 hours+ at my institution. I wanna go home - wah!!! :diebanana:As always, thanks for listening.

Silly rant: I have a volcano of a zit on my face and it hurts. So gross!

I'm so tired of being tired. I can't sleep. Last night I got into bed 3 times before I actually fell asleep...5 hours after I first felt like it was time. Then, I woke up constantly, at least every 30 minutes until my alarm went off. I was having this kind of trouble at the end of last semester, then it got better for a little while, and now it's back in full force. I just want to be able to sleep like a normal person.

I'm so tired of being tired. I can't sleep. Last night I got into bed 3 times before I actually fell asleep...5 hours after I first felt like it was time. Then, I woke up constantly, at least every 30 minutes until my alarm went off. I was having this kind of trouble at the end of last semester, then it got better for a little while, and now it's back in full force. I just want to be able to sleep like a normal person.

Melatonin? Sleep aids are always a tricky thing, but the difference is amazing.

Melatonin? Sleep aids are always a tricky thing, but the difference is amazing.

Melatonin had worked well for me in the past, but you have to take it at a very low dose. Supposedly, if you take more, it has the opposite effect and shuts down your normal melatonin production, whereas the small dose managed to supplement without causing a negative feedback loop. I've also heard Valerian works, but haven't tried it myself.

Difficult owners of dogs I am pet sitting make me want to gouge my eyes out. JUST GO ENJOY YOUR VACATION.

I'd like to say that I officially dislike my physics professor a lot. It's a good thing I've semi had it before and just studied for the MCAT.

He is beyond a terrible professor and not only that, but is actually getting pissy with me for pointing out errors on his answer keys to past tests :bang: If I don't get an A in this class because he is a *****, I will :boom: Oh, and thanks for providing an equation sheet, but maybe you could make them somewhat resemble the ones you gave us in our notes and we've been using the past month?? grrrr

I'd like to say that I officially dislike my physics professor a lot. It's a good thing I've semi had it before and just studied for the MCAT.

He is beyond a terrible professor and not only that, but is actually getting pissy with me for pointing out errors on his answer keys to past tests :bang: If I don't get an A in this class because he is a *****, I will :boom: Oh, and thanks for providing an equation sheet, but maybe you could make them somewhat resemble the ones you gave us in our notes and we've been using the past month?? grrrr

I hate those types of professors (insecure, disorganized and lazy). But why are you retaking Physics? I'm sure you'll get an A because it sounds like you know more than the prof (especially after just coming off the MCAT). Speaking of MCAT, I have taken the month of February to do the Biology Kaplan Review (I figured I'd go with the most familiar material first to give myself some self-confidence). So far so good. The Physics is the scariest part for me because I took Physics 15+ years ago and haven't used it for any upper-level courses since that time. I am avoiding it, thinking I'll do General Chemisty next (month of March), followed by Organic in April (see how I'm avoiding that Physics?) Do you have any advice or recommendations as to the order of things, or do you think I'm on the right track with this? I'm still waiting to hear from Penn Vet, but am forging ahead on my Plan B of Osteopathic Medicine. Hope you hear good news on your MCAT results, soon (I don't relish taking that 5+ hour exam...I think I'll need to eat or go to the bathroom or something...too long!)

Silly rant: I have a volcano of a zit on my face and it hurts. So gross!

My dirty little secret is that whenever anyone says something like this, my instinctive response is, "oooh, can I come over and pop it!?"

I keep it quiet when I'm dealing with normal people, but I'm sure some of you can relate.

My dirty little secret is that whenever anyone says something like this, my instinctive response is, "oooh, can I come over and pop it!?"

I keep it quiet when I'm dealing with normal people, but I'm sure some of you can relate.
Lol. I do the same thing to my bf! I'm lucky he puts up with it.
I tried popping it but it's being stubborn. Now its even more red and angry looking. Baaah.

Of course it is. Doesn't mean most of us don't do it :D. I'd rather have a big red mark for a week, than a puss filled volcano on my face for 2 hours! ;)

Since we're talking about puss... My first day as a vet tech, I wrote the word puss with a "Y" at the end of it on a patients chart to describe a nodule on it's face, and the doctor read it aloud in front of the client and definitely did not say it the way I meant it :oops:. Needless to say I got my first reprimand rather quickly :laugh:. But that was 5 years ago, and I can definitely laugh at it now. It wasn't MY fault he had a dirty mind! :rolleyes:

If it's not *my* skin, who cares???

I only get maybe 1-2 poppable pimples a year, and it takes an incredible amount of stress for it to happen. That is why I make do with my SO's backne. Ish okay, any scarring is covered by his backhair :rolleyes:. We've yet to encounter any major ill effects from my zit popping.

Once in a while, if I'm really bored in lecture, I'll bust out the zit popper game. It's really hard to beat without a mouse.

I only get maybe 1-2 poppable pimples a year, and it takes an incredible amount of stress for it to happen. That is why I make do with my SO's backne. Ish okay, any scarring is covered by his backhair :rolleyes:. We've yet to encounter any major ill effects from my zit popping.

Once in a while, if I'm really bored in lecture, I'll bust out the zit popper game. It's really hard to beat without a mouse.

now that was a fantastic time waster! popped em all with 10 seconds to spare....commence awkward looks from coworkers wondering what the hell all those sounds were.

sigh, feeling down.

(1) day off for the government = busy schedule :thumbup: with difficult high maintenance clients :thumbdown:

(2) long distance relationships suck. realized there is no such thing as a male "friend"... they never ever ever ever will be platonic :mad:... boyfriend is insanely pissed off :(... dont have girlfriends where i live = i cant hang out with anyone for almost a solid 6 more mo... and i have to admit that I have really been in denial about how lonely I have been since moving back home.

... its a lame-bad-miserable day, wish the weather was stormy so I could have a better reason to hermit in my basement lair

(no need to reply, i just wanted to vent)

sigh, feeling down.

(1) day off for the government = busy schedule :thumbup: with difficult high maintenance clients :thumbdown:

(2) long distance relationships suck. realized there is no such thing as a male "friend"... they never ever ever ever will be platonic :mad:... boyfriend is insanely pissed off :(... dont have girlfriends where i live = i cant hang out with anyone for almost a solid 6 more mo... and i have to admit that I have really been in denial about how lonely I have been since moving back home.

... its a lame-bad-miserable day, wish the weather was stormy so I could have a better reason to hermit in my basement lair

I'm sorry. Long distance sucks. It's hard knowing that whenever I get to see my boyfriend, I will only have a limited amount of time with him (can't wait for summer!). I think it helps a lot to remind each other how much you really mean to one another. Being able to talk and/or skype often helps a ton. You live in DC/NOVA, right? That's my home! :D (I just remembered that you also went to MSU and live in VA) There's so much to do! My sister joined some cool things like bowling and kickball events in Arlington to meet a lot of fun people.

You are disturbed. Seek help immediately

sigh, feeling down.

Virginger, I know how you're feeling. I'm in the same long distance scenario. Guy "friends" can be incredibly hard to make work, its dedinitely a struggle when your significant other isn't exactly there either. I get lonely missing my girlfriends too ever since I moved back home :( hang in there!!! I'm sorry you've had a rough go of it lately but if you ever need to vent feel free to pm. Hope the boy doesn't stay angry long, wish things could be easier :(

Thanks for all of the support :) I hardly know of any people in my life who are in long distance relationships... so talking to them about this seems so foreign to them. It feels good to vent and not feel like I am crazy and/or alone with problems.

Virginger, I know how you're feeling. I'm in the same long distance scenario. Guy "friends" can be incredibly hard to make work, its dedinitely a struggle when your significant other isn't exactly there either. I get lonely missing my girlfriends too ever since I moved back home :( hang in there!!! I'm sorry you've had a rough go of it lately but if you ever need to vent feel free to pm. Hope the boy doesn't stay angry long, wish things could be easier :(

Thanks :oops: he can be really territorial, which is fine up to a certain point... the excess of it is probably his only real flaw. He really does try to be okay with guys... but they just dont get it... even though I talk about him all the time. It doesnt even register w the majority of guys (is it extremely selective hearing or out right arrogance? :wtf:)... it just challenges me to make tough decisions.

...and why is so hard to find girlfriends to get together with?! All the ones I get along with are in relationships, which creates the-third-wheel problem.

I'm sorry. Long distance sucks. It's hard knowing that whenever I get to see my boyfriend, I will only have a limited amount of time with him (can't wait for summer!). I think it helps a lot to remind each other how much you really mean to one another. Being able to talk and/or skype often helps a ton. You live in DC/NOVA, right? That's my home! :D (I just remembered that you also went to MSU and live in VA) There's so much to do! My sister joined some cool things like bowling and kickball events in Arlington to meet a lot of fun people.

I have always thought that it made the time with him intensely enjoyable. We webcam a lot on gchat... I just never do anything besides work, study, and sit on the computer. Its bad when you think of work and class as filling that socializing requirement to function as a normal person :laugh:. Your right, DC has a lot to do! I have been interested in volunteering with a therapeutic riding center that is right down the road... or even doing something with kid would be nice too. ... I wish I was more into sports. I like tennis but people who are into tennis here are WAY into tennis... lol

Make gay guy friends! They're awesome! :D

Ah, I know! ... I am in the market for one :D

I totally get it :rofl: I have a bad habit of picking at things! If there is a pimple or some weird skin thing I immediately focus on it... we had one of those golden retrievers with the scaly skin problem (i think its called ichthyosis)... and while it was recovering from anesthesia, I broke out a comb and pulled all the enormous sheets of skin out its fur... I cannot say that I did not enjoy it, eak, lol.

This also makes me very fastidious about cleaning infected dog ears. :p

...sorry if its TMI. lol

I totally get it :rofl: I have a bad habit of picking at things! If there is a pimple or some weird skin thing I immediately focus on it... we had one of those golden retrievers with the scaly skin problem (i think its called ichthyosis)... and while it was recovering from anesthesia, I broke out a comb and pulled all the enormous sheets of skin out its fur... I cannot say that I did not enjoy it, eak, lol.

This also makes me very fastidious about cleaning infected dog ears. :p

...sorry if its TMI. lol

Ha, I'm pretty sure we're soul mates. Things like puppy pyoderma drive me bonkers. Abcesses, pimples, scaly skin, dirty ears, dirty teeth...ANYTHING that's pickable...I can't leave it alone. Which is why my boss let's me do all the dentals :D

My SO, on the other hand, gets incredibly pissy when I come after him. :laugh:

We've yet to encounter any major ill effects from my zit popping.

I totally get it :rofl: I broke out a comb and pulled all the enormous sheets of skin out its fur... I cannot say that I did not enjoy it, eak, lol.

Ha, I'm pretty sure we're soul mates. Things like puppy pyoderma drive me bonkers. Abcesses, pimples, scaly skin, dirty ears, dirty teeth...ANYTHING that's pickable...I can't leave it alone.

Sounds like dermatology would be a good specialty for y'all lol.

:laugh: you guys are ridiculous. My cat has skin issues with scabby dry skin. I try to pick at it when he's sleeping but he always wakes up grumpily and takes off. Fortunately my bf doesn't mind. :)

This is all I have today:

431109_10150709813793465_129446698464_11430699_1796660362_n.jpg

Yesterday I wake up because I smell smoke... and the apartment below me has a balcony on fire. Cue attractive firemen, extending gawking.

Today I hear on the news that someone shot up the Chuck E Cheese by my house. WHAT. WHY. I have no explanation.

Tonight I get home, walk up the stairs, and encounter two cops in my hallway with their guns out. They ask me if I have seen a "black man running around". I answer that I haven't, and I'm allowed to go to my apartment...

WHAT. I LIVE IN A TINY CITY IN THE MIDWEST. WHAT IS GOING ON.

I don't want to know what the rest of the week has in store.