RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh. If the rest of the week is like this... I have no idea what I'll do. I normally try not to whine but seriously. I'm beyond frustrated at the moment.

- 8am mandatory class was not worth being in the building at 8am.
- The "supreme nachos" I got from the GDC for lunch were totally not worth it. Apparently supreme = mostly lettuce, some cheese, and other stuff :confused:
- One of my group-mates in my elective makes me want to :bang:. Can't do things they should be able to do and does NOT pull their weight in the group. At all.
- Because of said group member I didn't get home until almost 7:30 :mad:
- Said group member is the biggest reason I am frustrated out of my mind right now.
- Ordered a nice jacket from AAEP with an embroidered veterinary caduceus and Iowa State/Veterinary Medicine embroidered on it. Picked it up today, decided to wear it home, and noticed that the zipper had split. Hopefully it stops doing that.
- My poor dog had to go around 12h without being let out because of my group member.
- My internet decided it wasn't going to work when I got home to post here and catch up on the Vet School WW game.

If my pizza is late, I'm giving up for the night. Even though I need to study toxicology.

It sounds like you need some wine. The red stuff.

Sorry, what a crummy day.

Members don't see this ad.

She wasn't diagnosed until we took her home. They told us that she had one episode of diarrhea. I knew the risks but also knew that she would be euthanized if she had it. We already had one dog but she was already vaccinated and older so the chances of her getting it were low. Sophie (the shelter dog) only came down with mild signs so she was only hospitalized for a couple days. It cost some money but it was worth it to us. I should add that we adopted her from animal welfare not the local humane society. Different shelters are going to have different policies so it is best to ask the people you are adopting her from.

Thanks Lissarae, I am definitely going to call the shelter tomorrow and see what there policy would be. Maybe it will work out since she hasn't technically been diagnosed with it yet, or any symptoms. :xf:

Ugh. If the rest of the week is like this... I have no idea what I'll do. I normally try not to whine but seriously. I'm beyond frustrated at the moment.

- The "supreme nachos" I got from the GDC for lunch were totally not worth it. Apparently supreme = mostly lettuce, some cheese, and other stuff :confused:
- One of my group-mates in my elective makes me want to :bang:. Can't do things they should be able to do and does NOT pull their weight in the group. At all.
- Said group member is the biggest reason I am frustrated out of my mind right now.
- Ordered a nice jacket from AAEP with an embroidered veterinary caduceus and Iowa State/Veterinary Medicine embroidered on it. Picked it up today, decided to wear it home, and noticed that the zipper had split. Hopefully it stops doing that.
- My poor dog had to go around 12h without being let out because of my group member.
- My internet decided it wasn't going to work when I got home to post here and catch up on the Vet School WW game.

If my pizza is late, I'm giving up for the night. Even though I need to study toxicology.

^^^^^^
THIS is exactly why I am not really a fan of group assignments. What a pain cuitlamiztli!! Def go with the red wine, or the even harder stuff!

Members don't see this ad :)

This is why I hate group work. I'm super type A and anyone who's not just irks me.

Tell her she's being an irresponsible pain in the rear, then have some wine. You'll feel better and she'll get over it. Promise.

I hope you went to the doctor! Primate bites are serious. Not familiar with vervets, is it a new or old world primate?

Old World. Yeah, I work with primates regularly. Doctor said it wasn't bad, and since I've had my rabies vx and tetanus vx recently, there isn't much to worry about. Will have a lot of bruising, but no need for abx at this time.

Thanks, guys. My other group-mate and I have been trying to get them to shape up since last semester... hasn't worked so far, which just adds to the irritation.

I don't have any wine but I think a margarita is calling my name!

Old World. Yeah, I work with primates regularly. Doctor said it wasn't bad, and since I've had my rabies vx and tetanus vx recently, there isn't much to worry about. Will have a lot of bruising, but no need for abx at this time.

I hope you heal quickly, Jamr0ckin!

Cuit, sorry your group mate is being a pain. I hate group work because I usually end up doing all the work and everyone else gets credit because I want a good grade. hopefully, she it he will step it up soon.

Jamrockin, hope you heal quickly! Glad to hear you don't have too many puncture wounds.

This is why I hate group work. I'm super type A and anyone who's not just irks me.

I would DIG having you in a group :D totally type A especially in group project!!

I would DIG having you in a group :D totally type A especially in group project!!

ah ha soopr this is where the similarities end - type A people waaaay overwhelm me and working with them is horrible for me. i'm not remotely type A and i'll get **** done much more efficiently without some lunatic perfectionist spazzpot vet student breathing down my neck about it. :rolleyes:

the good news for you guys is most of your classmates will also be lunatic perfectionist spazzpot vet students so you can all give each other ulcers repeatedly all you want

lunatic perfectionist spazzpot vet student breathing down my neck about it. :rolleyes:

your forgot crazed twitchy eye and limb movement when one simple item
is out of place :D

Uh-ohs. Is this typical Grenada?!

mosquitoes making a meal out of you? definitely. things turning you into a buffet while you sleep? definitely not. that seems to be a "me" thing as it has happened twice now since last august. i think i brought something home from the beach, as that was kinda the same time frame it happened during last term too.

bring deet. lots and lots of deet. some hydrocortesone cream and oral benedryl. and maybe some of that magic anti-scar cream. you'll be fine-you even kind of become immune to mosquito bites after awhile (they itch much less and the itchy duration is pretty short)

Members don't see this ad :)
your forgot crazed twitchy eye and limb movement when one simple item
is out of place :D

ah ha soopr this is where the similarities end - type A people waaaay overwhelm me and working with them is horrible for me. i'm not remotely type A and i'll get **** done much more efficiently without some lunatic perfectionist spazzpot vet student breathing down my neck about it. :rolleyes:

the good news for you guys is most of your classmates will also be lunatic perfectionist spazzpot vet students so you can all give each other ulcers repeatedly all you want

i *might* be guilty of taking over projects entirely and doing them myself. and if you're interested in contributing, i'll give you mini "projects" and then redo your less then perfect work. but i'll appreciate your effort :D

i *might* be guilty of taking over projects entirely and doing them myself. and if you're interested in contributing, i'll give you mini "projects" and then redo your less then perfect work. but i'll appreciate your effort :D

you're going to drop dead of a heart attack or aneurysm before you pay off your student loans.

you're going to drop dead of a heart attack or aneurysm before you pay off your student loans.

yeah probably, but then the government doesn't get as much money? hehe

i actually am capable of stepping back and letting people work equally, it just has to either be fairly on par with my work or be something i dont care about. i'm also not up for fighting people who are more strongly type A than I am. but the above scenario was one that happened last semester (and it even all started out with us dividing the work up evenly, it just turned out that none of them knew what they were doing and apparently never learned how to write-it was scary)

i actually am capable of stepping back and letting people work equally, it just has to either be fairly on par with my work or be something i dont care about. i'm also not up for fighting people who are more strongly type A than I am. but the above scenario was one that happened last semester (and it even all started out with us dividing the work up evenly, it just turned out that none of them knew what they were doing and apparently never learned how to write-it was scary)

Well I mean to be actually honest, I'd probably take exception to your trying to imply that your way of doing things was the only or best way in the first place. Not being type A doesn't mean I'm a pushover - I still feel like my ideas and contributions are valuable, but somebody implying that what I was doing was wrong because I was doing something differently than they would or not on THEIR timeframe would totally shut me down into the world of "f you then, not putting any effort forth for this at all."

Last edited:
I have to take some weird cumulative UG biology exam tomorrow night. Not at all thrilled about trying to dredge up the specifics of my botany course from 2 years ago, or the fine details of zoology from 2009.

Blarg.

So I have chickens and despite the fact that I only feed them what they can eat during the day, I also have rats. I've been asking my father for months to give me some of his pee to put around our shed (smells like predator urine and is pretty effective at getting things to vacate). But he hasn't and now we have a pretty decent sized rat problem. Now, I don't really mind a few rats, but the multiplying into hundreds is probably a poor choice. So my dad is now freaking out about them and has put out snap traps. Which in comparison to poisoning I don't have a problem with, though I'd much rather just ask them kindly to find a new home.
Just went out to let the chickens out and found a rat with just his leg caught in the trap (the one reason I REALLY hate snap traps). So of course now I have to kill the damn thing. Thankfully I have access to Isoflurane (I rehab wildlife so I keep it on hand for euth if I pick up anything that's beyond help). Same stuff a lot of animal hospitals use for anesthesia, it's a respiratory depressant so in high quantities they stop breathing and their hearts stop (just in case anyone wasn't aware). I got back out there and the damn thing had wedged himself behind a whole bunch of stuff with just the trap sticking out and I couldn't pull him out without grabbing the trap attached to his now very broken leg. And likely getting bit. Thankfully I thought to throw an iso soaked cottonball at his face so he'd fall asleep before I picked him up. But damn do I hate euthing things that don't deserve it. Not his fault our chicken food is yummy and there's a nice cozy home under our shed...

"Don't worry, it's all in the notes."

I keep falling for this exam after exam because I'm way too trusting and gullible.

The new doctor I work with is talking to my clients and recommending meds for their pets behind my back - and then asking me why I haven't gotten them those meds yet.

She is also seeing my rechecks for no good reason and making stuff up when I call her on it.

She also snapped at me in front of all of our staff this weekend.

I may have to find a new job - I was hoping not to let her win.

The new doctor I work with is talking to my clients and recommending meds for their pets behind my back - and then asking me why I haven't gotten them those meds yet.

She is also seeing my rechecks for no good reason and making stuff up when I call her on it.

That does not sound like a healthy work environment at all. I think you should think of your own sanity and start looking for a new job. You're not letting her win, you are being a better vet!

That does not sound like a healthy work environment at all. I think you should think of your own sanity and start looking for a new job. You're not letting her win, you are being a better vet!

TBH, I was hoping that with all the problems EVERYONE is having with her, management would have realized she's a liability not an asset. Regardless of my problems with her, she has decided that one of our assistants that wants to go higher in the organization is not fit for the job and has repeatedly put her down over this.

My vet assistants told me yesterday that they see the way she talks to me and it is very different than the other vet. They are uncomfortable working with her - her medicine is suspect to them and she is very good at making excuses for her behavior. They are also uncomfortable with the obvious tension between the two of us. Multiple people have told me that if they were talked to the way she talks to me, they would have quit already. I'm giving it one more shot through higher ups and then moving on.

TBH, I was hoping that with all the problems EVERYONE is having with her, management would have realized she's a liability not an asset. Regardless of my problems with her, she has decided that one of our assistants that wants to go higher in the organization is not fit for the job and has repeatedly put her down over this.

My vet assistants told me yesterday that they see the way she talks to me and it is very different than the other vet. They are uncomfortable working with her - her medicine is suspect to them and she is very good at making excuses for her behavior. They are also uncomfortable with the obvious tension between the two of us. Multiple people have told me that if they were talked to the way she talks to me, they would have quit already. I'm giving it one more shot through higher ups and then moving on.
I don't remember which corporate you work for but if it is anything like the Banfield I worked for last summer, good luck, you're going to need it. Working there as a student and seeing how the higher ups handled problems made me never want to work there as a vet.

Urgh, Dyachei.
Good luck getting this sorted out.
I have had to deal with horrible coworkers in the fast food industry... but luckily, it was not my dream career and animals weren't put at risk. Hostile work environments are not cool and you should not have to put up with that crap.
I am sending good vibes your way.

Returning bad meat for the 4TH TIME THIS MONTH!!!!! :mad: Shizz is way too expensive to not get my money back each time! :smuggrin:

And no, this is not a reason for me to become a vegetarian or whatever else you all want to throw at me lol. I don't eat tons of meat, but when I do, it damn well better not be rotten. This one was gross 8 DAYS before it's sell by date! YUCK!

Returning bad meat for the 4TH TIME THIS MONTH!!!!! :mad: Shizz is way too expensive to not get my money back each time! :smuggrin:

And no, this is not a reason for me to become a vegetarian or whatever else you all want to throw at me lol. I don't eat tons of meat, but when I do, it damn well better not be rotten. This one was gross 8 DAYS before it's sell by date! YUCK!

Where are you buying this stuff from? I know it's not Wegmans...

Where are you buying this stuff from? I know it's not Wegmans...

You're right lol.... I should just start going there more. I buy it from Price Chopper and nasty *ass Tops! The BF used to work at Tops in high school so he's all partial even though it's terrible! Plus, he doesn't pay the grocery bills so oomf! :p

Wegmans is the only place I will buy seafood and produce from, and the only place my boyfriend will buy meat from. No other place compares, honestly. Except maybe Palmer's.

Ordered my iPhone 9 days ago... still not here... humf. (It got shipped to the 'rents address and they had to send it to me). I guess I should enjoy my last few days with my good old bar style nokia before I plant my face in my new phone for the next few weeks :D.

This so-called study thing isn't working out very well right now..

This semester has just been stumping me. My grades are mostly OK but with a couple of bomb outs in histo lab and anatomy lab. So I'm going to work harder. Which means burying myself in godawful-boring embryology notes when it's the nicest day it's been in a very long time :(

6 days ago, a lady saw a mom cat give birth to two kittens in a puddle in the middle of the rain. The lady called my work to see if we could take them, because the humane society said to leave them outside, and they didnt have the staff to come out. No one at my work wanted the kittens, but I said I would take them. I named them Peter and Wendy....Peter came down ill yesterday, tried sub q fluids, de wormer, everything, my veterinarian tried really hard. He was very lethargic in the nite, and fell asleep purring on my chest. Today he has passed away. Only 6 days together, but I feel like we had a bond. I would have liked to have seen him open his eyes, so we could meet each other face to face. I am hoping he knows he was loved. Rest in Peace little Peter.

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

6 days ago, a lady saw a mom cat give birth to two kittens in a puddle in the middle of the rain. The lady called my work to see if we could take them, because the humane society said to leave them outside, and they didnt have the staff to come out. No one at my work wanted the kittens, but I said I would take them. I named them Peter and Wendy....Peter came down ill yesterday, tried sub q fluids, de wormer, everything, my veterinarian tried really hard. He was very lethargic in the nite, and fell asleep purring on my chest. Today he has passed away. Only 6 days together, but I feel like we had a bond. I would have liked to have seen him open his eyes, so we could meet each other face to face. I am hoping he knows he was loved. Rest in Peace little Peter.

RIP Peter :(

Aw, I am so sorry to hear about Peter. I'm sure he felt loved by you.

So sorry to hear about peter. I hope wendy will be able to help you while you grieve. My deepest sympathies.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone... :(

I have a terrible shooting pain in my index finger knuckle. I took a nap, and when I woke up, my whole hand was cramped. The shooting pain comes and goes, but always feels sore. One of my coworkers has the same problem...but she's pregnant. So, my mind is wandering:scared: I also felt really light-headed all day, but I know that is because I barely slept last night and had a 100 question exam at 8am. Maybe I thought too hard...;)

You know your organic chemistry professor stinks at life when getting a 46% is passing with a 70%...

First, Jamr0ckin, I hope that you're feeling OK and that the bruising isn't too horrid. Good to hear that it's more pressure than puncture. Always a good thing with monks. Hope you heal quick!! And best of luck at your interview! At least you'll have quite a story to tell. Shows resilience - ALWAYS a good sign in a manager. ;)

Dyachei, I'm really sorry to hear this. As someone who works in a passive aggressive environment, you have my deepest sympathies. Nothing is worse than loving what you do, but having to deal with BS to do it. :xf: That you find happiness soon whether it be seeing the nemesis out the door or finding your way to somewhere new.

:( But I'm sure he knows that you gave him the best 6 days he could have had.

I have a terrible shooting pain in my index finger knuckle. I took a nap, and when I woke up, my whole hand was cramped. The shooting pain comes and goes, but always feels sore. One of my coworkers has the same problem...but she's pregnant. So, my mind is wandering:scared: I also felt really light-headed all day, but I know that is because I barely slept last night and had a 100 question exam at 8am. Maybe I thought too hard...;)

Pinched nerve? Did you try an NSAID? If you're still having issues tomorrow, promise me you'll see a doc? Feel better! :xf::xf:

Thanks, LMMS. I took an NSAID, and it helped a bit. I just took another dose, so hopefully it won't keep me up tonight. I wish I could see a doc, but my insurance won't cover me in MI (thanks, tricare :mad:).

She doesn't want me to tell my brothers that she is in the hospital, doesn't want me visiting, and my dad is out of town with his roaming off.
She just doesn't want everyone making a fuss over her. I would go see her anyways. I hope she is doing better. (If it was me, I would tell my brothers)