RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Currently being punished for eating one heart shaped peanut butter cup thing.

Lactose itself is on the ingredients list :smack:. I thank my lucky stars that this isn't a severe allergic reaction, or I'd be dead by now. I'm way better about coconut and latex, but for some reason I just refuse to believe that milk/lactose is in anything but milk or ice cream.

Members don't see this ad :)
My elderly in-laws failed to burn the house down tonight, but not for lack of trying. We are pretty sure that the failsafe on the induction stovetop prevented an actual fire. Both of them claim not to have been the person who put a pot of water on a paper towel on the stove to heat then forgot all about it. (Paper towel is normally not problematic, and keeps the stovetop clean and unscratched. But a pot heated dry will eventually reach the combustion point of the paper towel.)

We have a perfectly good hot water dispensing device to prevent them from ever needing to heat water on the stove. The same way we have a digital timer to prevent them from having to use the microwave timer, after MIL tried to burn down the house by running the microwave empty for 10 minutes.

Reactions: 1 user
My elderly in-laws failed to burn the house down tonight, but not for lack of trying. We are pretty sure that the failsafe on the induction stovetop prevented an actual fire. Both of them claim not to have been the person who put a pot of water on a paper towel on the stove to heat then forgot all about it. (Paper towel is normally not problematic, and keeps the stovetop clean and unscratched. But a pot heated dry will eventually reach the combustion point of the paper towel.)

We have a perfectly good hot water dispensing device to prevent them from ever needing to heat water on the stove. The same way we have a digital timer to prevent them from having to use the microwave timer, after MIL tried to burn down the house by running the microwave empty for 10 minutes.
Your in-laws sound just like my grandpa. Grandkids have been trying to get him into assisted living for the last 5 years, but my mom doesn't have the kahunas to do it.

We do daily checks, and we regularly see fully charred (like, all the way through) potatoes in the trash, scorched pots and pans, the works. It really is scary, especially when your realize his short term memory is so bad that he forgets he has water boiling within 30s.

Any gadgets we get him to help, he refuses to use and often throws away. My mom kind of gave up at that point.

Hope your in-laws don't do that again :( it's frightening to say the least.

The people are nice here but I'm barely allowed to touch any patients. I stand around twiddling my ****ing thumbs. And I get there at the buttcrack of dawn. To do nothing. All day. And the weather here sucks. ****ing Washington and its rain. And I miss my dogs. I have 3 more weeks of living in a motel room. I can't cook. I'm so bored. And I'm really lonely.

Reactions: 1 users
The people are nice here but I'm barely allowed to touch any patients. I stand around twiddling my ****ing thumbs. And I get there at the buttcrack of dawn. To do nothing. All day. And the weather here sucks. ****ing Washington and its rain. And I miss my dogs. I have 3 more weeks of living in a motel room. I can't cook. I'm so bored. And I'm really lonely.
I graduate in 88 days and I'm shadowing. Wtf. Preceptors are annoying. ****.

That's really dumb they won't let you touch patients! Sorry Abners, I hope it gets better somehow. :(

Oh, no ... you've been living in a motel room? That doesn't sound particularly cozy or pleasant - very sorry.

On the other hand: you're graduating in 88 days. Congratulations! Hope you also get to see your dogs pretty soon! :)

Oh, no ... you've been living in a motel room? That doesn't sound particularly cozy or pleasant - very sorry.

On the other hand: you're graduating in 88 days. Congratulations! Hope you also get to see your dogs pretty soon! :)
Thanks. It's fine. I had to travel for this thing so I'm not home and it's bugging me. And I'm a raging extrovert but the people there are nice enough but aren't interested in being close so I'm lonely and cranky lol. And I will! In 3 weeks I'll see my pups

20151102_162448.jpg
20160627_212301.jpg

I mean, they're pretty worthless. Who wouldn't love those freeloaders?

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After a week of being here I'm told I'm actually bit supposed to help nor be in induction or recovery. I just want to freaking help and learn things ffs. I'm so frustrated.

After a week of being here I'm told I'm actually bit supposed to help nor be in induction or recovery. I just want to freaking help and learn things ffs. I'm so frustrated.

What's the point if you're not allowed to do anything?

What's the point if you're not allowed to do anything?
That's what I'm saying! But I have to spend 4 weeks at a practice. It's required for me to graduate. Apparently I chose wrong. The people here are nice. (They don't really seem interested in being friends. I guess since I'm leaving at some point). But the policies totally suck

That's what I'm saying! But I have to spend 4 weeks at a practice. It's required for me to graduate. Apparently I chose wrong. The people here are nice. (They don't really seem interested in being friends. I guess since I'm leaving at some point). But the policies totally suck

Why would they take a student if they aren't interested in teaching?!

Supporting a horse in knock down and wrapping elastikon in recovery don't even take all that much skill. And I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to get myself hurt.

Dislike :thumbdown:

Should've come hung out with me.

My condo association wants to come into every unit in my block to "check for water leaks" due to high water bills over the last couple of months. The units aren't metered individually. Everyone pays $25/occupant. Personally, I think there is an ulterior motive to them checking the units (looking for undeclared occupants perhaps) because a break in the main would be pretty obvious and I really doubt a few running toilets could account for how high the bill supposedly is.

What pisses me off is that the only times they are having people out to check the units are during the week and during the normal work day (9-4) so I've already called to suggest some other time (like Feb 20th when I have the whole day off). Nope. They won't do it.

I'm not taking time off of work and using what little personal leave I've accrued so far in my new job so people can come into my condo and check to see if my toilets are constantly running (they're not). The one woman I talked to asked if I could give my key to a neighbor or have a friend there. Uh, no. I don't know my neighbors and my friends also work. If they call back I'm just directing them to my property management company. Let them pay a maintenance guy to come out to my condo to let people in (which I'm also not really comfortable with). I'm not in the mood to be inconvenienced.

Work has been super busy lately. I didn't get a chance to go home on my lunch break and let my dog out- he was in his kennel for 11 hours today. I felt so terrible when I got home. Luckily, I think he has forgiven me. Looks like I'll have to find a dog walker I can trust for the next 4 weeks while the fiance is busy finishing up med school..

Edited version: residency can suck at times, but overall I know I want to keep going.

Last edited:
Truth. I got married at Gate 38 at Minneapolis Int'l Airport. Me, a JOP, her, two of our friends, and 300 of the nearest traveling companions.

Was awesome. Boarded the plane right after and skipped town.
Haha that's awesome. We just did the courthouse thing so not nearly as exciting, but definitely stress free.

You just have to pick a practice and spend a month there?

Sorry it's not working out. Being bored is the worst.

The guy in the next room is screaming F bombs. Cool...

But I'll let it die down because I got roped into teching on the small animal side tonight

@Abnerrs That is super frustrating. I had an offsite rotation like that in the beginning of clinics and I was really disappointed. Luckily it was only 2 weeks of wasted motel money and time away from home so I can't imagine 4 weeks. Is it possible for them to let you do anything more as time goes on? or are the policies strict?

@Abnerrs That is super frustrating. I had an offsite rotation like that in the beginning of clinics and I was really disappointed. Luckily it was only 2 weeks of wasted motel money and time away from home so I can't imagine 4 weeks. Is it possible for them to let you do anything more as time goes on? or are the policies strict?
Their policies are super strict. BUT I think I've found a way around it. I'm going out in the field with one of the coolest docs here tomorrow. I will report back if he lets me do stuff

@JaynaAli I totally understand and relate to everything you've just said. Residency is one of the hardest (or hardest) things we'll do in life, but in the end it will be worth it. Just one day at a time. I'm convinced you aren't doing it right if you ever feel on top of everything, because there's too massive a volume of material to digest on top of the normal day. Take care of yourself, these years will go by fast even if they're painful. My dad has had 8 surgeries since December 3rd and has been critically ill on the verge of death (most of the time just bad off but a few times actively dying) and it has been so incredibly hard being 1000+ miles away most days so I understand. As tough as residency is though, I have some of the most fantastic and supportive mentors and resident mates and that makes it all just a little easier. Hang in there, one day at a time and before you know it it will be 2.5 years from now!

:( Boo.

After learning they do not indeed need me after I went back in, I am sitting in my underwear painting my toes the florescent pink polish I just bought

Reactions: 9 users
After learning they do not indeed need me after I went back in, I am sitting in my underwear painting my toes the florescent pink polish I just bought
I tend to drink a bit and cut and color my hair when I have those feels of unhappiness. So cathartic. haha

I feel like anyone who hasn't daydreamed about leaving their residency is either crazy or lying. Hang in there. If you need to talk/rant/commiserate, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users