RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like anyone who hasn't daydreamed about leaving their residency is either crazy or lying. Hang in there. If you need to talk/rant/commiserate, I'm all ears.
That's very sweet of you, but you might want to edit. She asked you not to quote :/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
update:

I think I'm going to have to drop my physics class, after all my ranting about it. Even if I manage to pull off a decent grade on this upcoming exam (very unlikely) it will have come with extreme suffering.... between 17 credit hours, my internship, and other extraciriculars, my health is severely suffering. I just can't keep living on three hours of sleep and drinking copious amounts of caffiene every day (it doesnt even affect me anymore...). I've learned I can't do everything if I want to do any of it well haha- there is a limit....

I dream of the day when I can go into a biochemistry lab and won't get mansplained by someone who has the exact same knowledge and experience as I have... apparently today is not that day. :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys. Out in the field is a million times better
Glad to hear you were able to go out in the field with the doc. Much better than sitting in a clinic where you're barely allowed to do anything despite being a vet med student and certainly capable of doing different things. Geez, if you were one of my students or residents, I would be working you hard AND sincerely appreciating your hard work. :cat:

Glad to hear you were able to go out in the field with the doc. Much better than sitting in a clinic where you're barely allowed to do anything despite being a vet med student and certainly capable of doing different things. Geez, if you were one of my students or residents, I would be working you hard AND sincerely appreciating your hard work. :cat:
Aww you're sweet! I hope they do.

I jump in and do the cleaning and stocking a lot when I can because A. I'm not above mopping a floor and B. The techs work hard and I have 15 min to spare.

I just wish I was learning a bit more. I did pass an NG tube, flushed tear ducts, and helped with a lameness exam. The field is awesome. But I can't feel my fingers or my toes as the tradeoff lol

Reactions: 5 users
This is a bit embarrassing but I'm having a bit of a smell problem with my current rotation. I was doing 100% A-ok for 2 weeks but we had some really autolyzed things in and ever since I lost all appetite and am unable to get the stench out of my brain regardless of how much I shower or try to mask it. Which is really weird for me because smells have never bugged me before.

This is a bit embarrassing but I'm having a bit of a smell problem with my current rotation. I was doing 100% A-ok for 2 weeks but we had some really autolyzed things in and ever since I lost all appetite and am unable to get the stench out of my brain regardless of how much I shower or try to mask it. Which is really weird for me because smells have never bugged me before.
Have you tried Vicks under your nose during necropsies? Some people say it's a miracle trick.

Have you tried mentholatum under your nose?

I feel so crappy on the necropsy floor if I haven't eaten enough or if I'm dehydrated. I keep a drink in the locker room. It really makes a difference - if I'm bothered by something, 95% of the time I feel better if I stop and go grab a drink.

Fully aware this is crazy, so just enjoy:

I am at the peak of a progesterone surge right now and me and the big P, don't tend to get along. I break out, get dry skin, get itchy, feel pretty awful...

Pregnancy P4 is so many times worse. The surge is a freaking mountain range of never ending twitchy, itchy god awful, just want to pace but every time I move, my skin touches things and I want to just throw a hissy fit of agitation and can't sit still because it compounds hate all the irritation, evil.

And all I can think while every inch of me is writhing is irritable, itchy, agony is about a professor during my advanced repro course stating that "pregnancy, and the accompanying P4 plateau, is the normal state for a woman. She will never be as evenly regulated and balanced as during pregnancy, especially the second half, when all is growth and quiescence."

I laughed then. (I was pregnant then too, I guess) Now, this minute of extreme discomfort, I want to go claw his eyes out and make him tell me again how this is a woman's "natural state."

The insides of my ears freaking itch! I can't sleep due to twitchiness! My skin is crawling! I dare him to tell me this is my normal again! I will claw his eyes out, rip his nuts off and shove them up his butt and he can tell me how natural and normal and well regulated I am with my steady P4 production!

Have I mentioned that I really dislike being pregnant? And my hubby wants to "snuggle"...

Feel free to giggle hysterically now while I try to twitch and scratch my way back into bed, and hopefully, off to sleep. :heckyeah:

Reactions: 7 users
update:

I think I'm going to have to drop my physics class, after all my ranting about it. Even if I manage to pull off a decent grade on this upcoming exam (very unlikely) it will have come with extreme suffering.... between 17 credit hours, my internship, and other extraciriculars, my health is severely suffering. I just can't keep living on three hours of sleep and drinking copious amounts of caffiene every day (it doesnt even affect me anymore...). I've learned I can't do everything if I want to do any of it well haha- there is a limit....
It's always good to realize your limits before it's too late to change anything. I'm sure next time you approach the class you'll do great. Good luck with everything!

Have you tried Vicks under your nose during necropsies? Some people say it's a miracle trick.
Have you tried mentholatum under your nose?

I feel so crappy on the necropsy floor if I haven't eaten enough or if I'm dehydrated. I keep a drink in the locker room. It really makes a difference - if I'm bothered by something, 95% of the time I feel better if I stop and go grab a drink.

I will try both of these, thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Fiance and I have been engaged for 4 months. We both want to elope. Our family/friends say no. I don't know where we are going to be come July due to him starting residency- If we go to Mayo, UPitt, Univesity of Utah, or stay here. I have zero interest in planning a wedding, let alone planning a wedding 2000 miles away from home. Help :(

@LetItSnow, I'm researching available jobs in Minnesota, as it is looking like we are most likely going to end up in Rochester. I've looked at the AVMA job search and the MVMA's website with little to no avail. Any other recommendations as to where to look? Thanks!

Yesterday it was 78 degrees outside. Now it's 33 with a windchill of 21. Oklahoma needs to just stop.

Have a path exam and ICU volunteer orientation today and am not feeling well at all. I walked past my anatomy instruments when I woke up and although they were washed, the smell of formalin was still enough to nearly make me retch this morning even though it has never really bothered me before. Seriously makes we wonder how I'm going to handle the gross specimens during this test.

Oh. And I'm supposed to go to Panda Express with a couple of friends/classmates afterwards for a fundraiser. So... hopefully I'm feeling batter later. :(
@SandstormDVM sorry to hear you're feeling unwell today. Hope you begin to feel better.

On the other hand, your new little mongoose avatar is adorable! Look at that beautiful little striped baby!

Fiance and I have been engaged for 4 months. We both want to elope. Our family/friends say no. I don't know where we are going to be come July due to him starting residency- If we go to Mayo, UPitt, Univesity of Utah, or stay here. I have zero interest in planning a wedding, let alone planning a wedding 2000 miles away from home. Help :(
Elope and tell them if they want a party they can plan it

Reactions: 8 users

@LetItSnow, I'm researching available jobs in Minnesota, as it is looking like we are most likely going to end up in Rochester. I've looked at the AVMA job search and the MVMA's website with little to no avail. Any other recommendations as to where to look? Thanks!

I know that feel, although it was only 1200 miles from home ;) You can always say you're eloping right now and you can throw a big party in a year or whatever...and then just kind of blow it off at the year mark and see if anyone remembers?

Reactions: 6 users

Few random thoughts from a married guy:

My first reaction to these kinds of questions is: who's getting married? You or your friends/family? You, so do what you want!

However... my more measured, less knee-jerk response says weddings = money and gifts, which is really helpful when you're starting out. Plus, you (hopefully) only get married once, and you have to decide whether or not that memory will matter to you in 5, 10, 20 years. I'm not a party/big event guy, but I do have good memories from my wedding and am glad my wife and I didn't skip on it.

I had a friend who married a girl from Romania. They got married in Romania in a small, quick wedding with just close family. Then they had two more "weddings" once she got back to the states. I attended one of those, and it was basically just a get-together with food and gifts. I thought it was kinda weird at first, but I now think the "small, quick wedding followed by parties later" option isn't a bad option at all.

It's always good to realize your limits before it's too late to change anything. I'm sure next time you approach the class you'll do great. Good luck with everything!

Thanks! I think it was a good decison- I'd like to spend the extra time figuring out a really succesful method to tackling gen chem before i add on a second challenging pre-req.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I think it was a good decison- I'd like to spend the extra time figuring out a really succesful method to tackling gen chem before i add on a second challenging pre-req.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

Strong, strong, strong recommendation to talk to Heritage Pet Hospital. I don't know that they're looking, but if they are, this is a clinic you want to be at. Positive attitude, good people, good medicine. Busy hospital. A little limited diagnostically (no ultrasound, crowded hospital), but I'd work there in a <heartbeat> because of their demeanor, professionalism, and skill.

I'll send you a PM with other info - I have a few I'd recommend, and a couple I'd avoid. A classmate of mine took my job down there a year ago when I transferred up to the metro area - I'll ask her for her opinions.

Today and the rest of this week has sucked and I would very much like it to be Friday now :(

I don't really know where to put this, so I guess it goes in rant.

My boyfriend of 4+ years dumped me last year with little conversation on the matter. We met in a mutual gaming group and we still play together (though not together-together...together as in a group of 20+ people). It's awkward, but whatever. Tonight I was talking to someone else in our voice chat about my long term plans after Vet school (the majority of the group is Canadians, this is relevant). I said that I was still thinking of moving to Canada, and either doing an internship/residency at one of the vet schools or later, going into private practice. I specified where I'd like to see myself end up and he chimed in that it was a bad idea, because CoL and such.

...Dude. We are not together and we parted on bad terms. You do NOT get to pass down your opinions on my life plans. You lost that privilege a year ago , and IDGAF if you 'just want me to be happy and realize outlooks.' That. Is. Not. Appropriate.

Now I'm all agitated and upset. Sorry for the verbal splooge, it just really hit me irrationally hard.

I don't really know where to put this, so I guess it goes in rant.

My boyfriend of 4+ years dumped me last year with little conversation on the matter. We met in a mutual gaming group and we still play together (though not together-together...together as in a group of 20+ people). It's awkward, but whatever. Tonight I was talking to someone else in our voice chat about my long term plans after Vet school (the majority of the group is Canadians, this is relevant). I said that I was still thinking of moving to Canada, and either doing an internship/residency at one of the vet schools or later, going into private practice. I specified where I'd like to see myself end up and he chimed in that it was a bad idea, because CoL and such.

...Dude. We are not together and we parted on bad terms. You do NOT get to pass down your opinions on my life plans. You lost that privilege a year ago , and IDGAF if you 'just want me to be happy and realize outlooks.' That. Is. Not. Appropriate.

Now I'm all agitated and upset. Sorry for the verbal splooge, it just really hit me irrationally hard.

I don't think you are being irrational at all. It's frustrating when someone acts like they don't care and then yet feel like they have a right to give you their opinion on your life. I would've been pissed too. Not his business and if I were one of your friends in the group I would've said so to him privately. Hope you don't have to deal with that again!

Born and raised in Rochester - only semi familiar with some of the clinics in the area though I wouldn't mind chatting about it in PM if you want (My family has always gone to Byron Pet Clinic with our dogs, I worked at Cascade Animal Clinic during undergrad, and did a high school shadowing thing at Northern Valley Animal Clinic.) LIS might know more. Happy to answer any other Rochester-related questions though :)
Strong, strong, strong recommendation to talk to Heritage Pet Hospital. I don't know that they're looking, but if they are, this is a clinic you want to be at. Positive attitude, good people, good medicine. Busy hospital. A little limited diagnostically (no ultrasound, crowded hospital), but I'd work there in a <heartbeat> because of their demeanor, professionalism, and skill.

I'll send you a PM with other info - I have a few I'd recommend, and a couple I'd avoid. A classmate of mine took my job down there a year ago when I transferred up to the metro area - I'll ask her for her opinions.

Edit: Also the vets at Mayo are super nice :) I bet they'd be willing to chime in as well with recommendations/ideas .

How my understanding of a story told by my hub and changes:

"That scoop of chicken feed we couldn't find earlier? Yeah, the kids had swiped it. I saw later that they had poured it out and were playing with it in their bedroom. And somewhere in there, B changed into her bathing suit. Perfectly, I might add. As in she was still wearing a diaper. She pooped later though. It was a mess."

Me at the time (about 8 pm): Amusing anecdote about the kids day! You know I told you, when I left to go back to work, that B had changed into her swimsuit? (So this was about 5 pm...)

Me at 2 am: (B has just crawled into bed with daddy, meaning I get to go sleep in her bed, and I discover that her bed is full of chicken food... and he had laid down in this bed with her to put her to sleep just before telling me the story earlier...) What the? So daddy didn't clean the mess. Instead, that was my 33 year old child tattling on the 6 and near 2 year old. Awesome.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't think you are being irrational at all. It's frustrating when someone acts like they don't care and then yet feel like they have a right to give you their opinion on your life. I would've been pissed too. Not his business and if I were one of your friends in the group I would've said so to him privately. Hope you don't have to deal with that again!

I let it fester for a little bit and then told him off directly. He tried to explain he was just trying to 'help' and he 'WANTS me to be happy,' but when I repeated it was inappropriate he stopped responding. This is not surprising.

But still, clapping back at him made me feel better. I think that's the best I'm going to get.

Thank you, U of I, for only salting where 'important' people walk. Despite my best penguin walking efforts, I still wiped out. I'm pretty sure I bruised my patellar ligament too, it hurts every time I walk. At least my shoulder didn't get involved.

Thank you, U of I, for only salting where 'important' people walk. Despite my best penguin walking efforts, I still wiped out. I'm pretty sure I bruised my patellar ligament too, it hurts every time I walk. At least my shoulder didn't get involved.
You're paying tuition, dammit! The should want to keep you alive! :rage:

I was supposed to get paid today for 2 1/2 weeks of petsitting (~$450) because the owner kept forgetting and then they were out of town. Aaaaaand they forgot again today. She was so apologetic, promising to get it to me on Monday. That's fine. Whatever. I don't need to do things like eat or pay bills. :yeahright:

I was supposed to get paid today for 2 1/2 weeks of petsitting (~$450) because the owner kept forgetting and then they were out of town. Aaaaaand they forgot again today. She was so apologetic, promising to get it to me on Monday. That's fine. Whatever. I don't need to do things like eat or pay bills. :yeahright:
raw

Trying to study endocrinology + very loud banging and screaming in the apartment right above = very angry Sandy :sendoff:

stop giving veterinary advice via FB...especially when you're not quite a vet yet.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm Dr. Facebook, and your cat has this rare disease I just learned about in class today.
Or: Your dog is putting no weight on his leg at all, but give him this dose of aspirin because it could be just a sprain. If he still isn't weight bearing in a few days, make an appointment.

I get that it is kind of an ego stroke to be asked for medical advice when you're just a student, but just don't. Isn't this the kind of stuff we hate? We hate seeing "see your vet in a few days after trying x" on various websites or FB sources. Why do I see so many vet students giving out legitimate (or illegitimate I guess, since they're students) medical advice in a FB comment? I mean...maybe they're more qualified than I am at this stage in my education and I'm just behind, lol.

Or: Your dog is putting no weight on his leg at all, but give him this dose of aspirin because it could be just a sprain. If he still isn't weight bearing in a few days, make an appointment.

I get that it is kind of an ego stroke to be asked for medical advice when you're just a student, but just don't. Isn't this the kind of stuff we hate? We hate seeing "see your vet in a few days after trying x" on various websites or FB sources. Why do I see so many vet students giving out legitimate (or illegitimate I guess, since they're students) medical advice in a FB comment? I mean...maybe they're more qualified than I am at this stage in my education and I'm just behind, lol.

Anytime an owner comes in and tells me they have given aspirin, I slam my head into the desk. It kind of ruins things.... and it really isn't super safe.

Just take the dog to the vet so it isn't having diarrhea and limping

Anytime an owner comes in and tells me they have given aspirin, I slam my head into the desk. It kind of ruins things.... and it really isn't super safe.

Just take the dog to the vet so it isn't having diarrhea and limping
I mean is it life threatening? If so I wouldn't feel bad about jumping in and throwing that bit of info down. I just ugh. This person irks me to no end anyways but that's beside the main point here :p

I mean is it life threatening? If so I wouldn't feel bad about jumping in and throwing that bit of info down. I just ugh. This person irks me to no end anyways but that's beside the main point here :p

It could be, depending on how much is given and if that dog is on any other medications. I mean, aspirin can cause damage and there's no way to know if the dog is taking medications for anything else. Not to mention, aspirin dosing isn't one size fits all...is this a 5 pound chihuahua or a 100 pound great dane? Will the aspirin advice cause a problem? Probably not, but it could

Life threatening? Not in appropriate doses. You can certainly use aspirin in dogs. (It's used frequently for IMHA patients in very small doses for the antithrombotic effect, though I think most of us start Plavix instead.)

Obviously you can overdose them with it.

And it is kinda frustrating when the owner has started it and either given too much or the dog needs something else but now you've got that nsaid (aspirin) on board. I think most vets like at least a 2-3 day wash out between the aspirin and a more appropriate (and effective) nsaid.

Life threatening? Not in appropriate doses. You can certainly use aspirin in dogs. There are better choices, for sure, but ....

Obviously you can overdose them with it.

And it is kinda frustrating when the owner has started it and either given too much or the dog needs something else but now you've got that nsaid (aspirin) on board.

"So, since you started aspirin, we now need to do a wash out period before you can start appropriate medications."

Reactions: 2 users

Well. I'm sure I did it, too. I think every vet student does it at one point or another. It's part of the excitement of becoming "a doctor" (ooooohhh!).

I understand your reaction to it. I have the same reaction. And if it's bad advice it just makes it worse that it's coming from someone who should know better. But I also 'get' that you're starting to feel like an expert and starting to feel excited and .... etc.

Beyond still being a student, I personally would also question how ethical it is to give medical advice for a patient you haven't examined, seen, or even gotten a decent history on. There's a difference between offering consultation on a patient for another colleague and reading two status updates from Mrs. Johnson and treating her dog in the comments.

Reactions: 6 users