RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are those Maine Coons??? :D
Gee ... I don't know because they're not my kittens. I just posted the photo.

Are they Maine Coon kittens?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hear that, kittens and cats everywhere?

Let's help @cdoconn and @Balesofhay feel better!

Move over ... here we come ... we'll bring plenty of kibble and catnip for everyone!

View attachment 217006

Are those Maine Coons??? :D

They look like it but hard to be sure :D

They look like it :love:

They're fluffy therefore I like. If only they were grey. Might have a little rag doll too in them. Oh and they're trying to catch the feral colony where we found my little hot mess of a cat. Look!! A potential relative
IMG_5877.JPG

Reactions: 9 users
I hate BSL and I try to read a dog's body language while I'm talking to the owner, but if I were to be asked of the medium to large breed dogs which breed I trust the least, I'd pick the German Shepherd.
Which is fine. It was the being a hypocrite part that got me.

My family is flabbergasted that 3 days of doxycycline hasn't been enough to magically heal the pneumonia that has cursed my lungs. I was trying to explain why you can expect to get better immediately and my family interrupted and yelled at me that I was using "too sciencey" of words. The word that stumped them? Mechanism.

I'm so done with pneumonia.

Reactions: 3 users
My family is flabbergasted that 3 days of doxycycline hasn't been enough to magically heal the pneumonia that has cursed my lungs. I was trying to explain why you can expect to get better immediately and my family interrupted and yelled at me that I was using "too sciencey" of words. The word that stumped them? Mechanism.

I'm so done with pneumonia.
Have you at least seen improvement?

Reactions: 1 user
Have you at least seen improvement?
Not really. I've been using the analogy that there's an elephant in my lungs. They feel really heavy, and if I breathe wrong, it feels like getting stabbed from the inside out, especially my right lung. Stayed home from class today because I got out of bed and I stood up and couldn't breathe.

If I am getting better, it's incredibly slowly, but I don't feel progress.

Not really. I've been using the analogy that there's an elephant in my lungs. They feel really heavy, and if I breathe wrong, it feels like getting stabbed from the inside out, especially my right lung. Stayed home from class today because I got out of bed and I stood up and couldn't breathe.

If you aren't feeling improvement by Monday, maybe you should call your doctor. I realize there is probably more to it, but in our recent antibiotic lectures, we were taught that if you don't see significant improvement within 48hrs, you are likely using the wrong antibiotic or it's viral. Maybe they will say it's fine, but it doesn't hurt to call and say "Hey, I've been on doxy for 5 days now and I don't feel any better, is this normal?"

Reactions: 1 users
If you aren't feeling improvement by Monday, maybe you should call your doctor. I realize there is probably more to it, but in our recent antibiotic lectures, we were taught that if you don't see significant improvement within 48hrs, you are likely using the wrong antibiotic or it's viral. Maybe they will say it's fine, but it doesn't hurt to call and say "Hey, I've been on doxy for 5 days now and I don't feel any better, is this normal?"
yeah, I'll probably do that. Because I was on azythromycin immediately before, and doxy now, and got an injection of ceftriaxone on Tuesday. Let's hope it gets better though- I'm already dreading the financial outcome of this sickness.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, I'll probably do that. Because I was on azythromycin immediately before, and doxy now, and got an injection of ceftriaxone on Tuesday. Let's hope it gets better though- I'm already dreading the financial outcome of this sickness.
Ugh, that sounds pretty horrible! Hope you feel better soon. Try to get plenty of rest this weekend!

Sounds like a pleuritis with the pain, but I'm not a doctor. Seriously, get checked again if you aren't better soon, that's a **** load of antibiotics you've had.

Reactions: 4 users
Sounds like a pleuritis with the pain, but I'm not a doctor. Seriously, get checked again if you aren't better soon, that's a **** load of antibiotics you've had.
Yeah, I think I'll do what Jilary recommended and wait a couple days just to see. The fun part of all of this is that all in all, I've had 6 different meds and they all have their own ****ty side effects. It's been a rough week and a half, but at least I'm not insomniac on pred anymore!

Yeah, I think I'll do what Jilary recommended and wait a couple days just to see. The fun part of all of this is that all in all, I've had 6 different meds and they all have their own ****ty side effects. It's been a rough week and a half, but at least I'm not insomniac on pred anymore!

Feel better! That's an order! :p

Reactions: 2 users

I had really bad bronchitis/walking pneumonia over the fall and I felt some degree of better the next day after starting antibiotics, so def don't wait too long if you aren't feeling better.

@cdoconn CAP 101: azithromycin, doxycycline and ceftriaxone are typical antibiotics. In general, CAPs often demonstrate some improvement in clinical parameters within 72 hours following initial antibiotic therapy unless resistant to initial empiric therapy. If resistant, expect a repeat of H&P, chest radiograph, blood and sputum cultures.

Please don't hesitate to contact your PCP or student health center for prompt reassessment/follow-up. You're on your way to vet med school and you need to be as healthy as possible for all of your future patients!

Hope you begin to feel better!:cat:

Reactions: 3 users
@cdoconn CAP 101: azithromycin, doxycycline and ceftriaxone are typical antibiotics. In general, CAPs often demonstrate some improvement in clinical parameters within 72 hours following initial antibiotic therapy unless resistant to initial empiric therapy. If resistant, expect a repeat of H&P, chest radiograph, blood and sputum cultures.

Please don't hesitate to contact your PCP or student health center for prompt reassessment/follow-up. You're on your way to vet med school and you need to be as healthy as possible for all of your future patients!

Hope you begin to feel better!:cat:
Doctor-S is throwing medical information at us like:
tumblr_ny2isy46EM1t5arjco1_500.gif

But I'm in luck because
giphy.gif

:laugh::biglove:

Reactions: 13 users
Does anyone ever get annoyed at the wide eyed pre-vet volunteers who come in to vet clinics and clearly know nothing about vet med? Then they ask you for advice etc and you explain what it's really like and they just blow you off or don't even listen :mad:.

One of the girls is also just way too awake for me in the morning. Like please give me some space until I've had more coffee

Does anyone ever get annoyed at the wide eyed pre-vet volunteers who come in to vet clinics and clearly know nothing about vet med? Then they ask you for advice etc and you explain what it's really like and they just blow you off or don't even listen :mad:.

One of the girls is also just way too awake for me in the morning. Like please give me some space until I've had more coffee
I'm pre-vet and relatively early in the process (will start pre-reqs this spring, etc), but I went to orientation to volunteer at the shelter and every time the volunteer coordinator talked about how much she loved baby animals, it made me chuckle, because it's what I think of when I think of clueless pre-vets. :p

I'm pre-vet and relatively early in the process (will start pre-reqs this spring, etc), but I went to orientation to volunteer at the shelter and every time the volunteer coordinator talked about how much she loved baby animals, it made me chuckle, because it's what I think of when I think of clueless pre-vets. :p

Same here! I have no issue with people who are trying to learn more because I enjoy imparting what little wisdom I've collected on other people, but some just get on my nerves. But maybe it's more of a personality type thing

Um, this happens all the time on these forums. Then I get yelled at for being the mean, bad person for being realistic with them. Kind of why I don't dole out as much advice as I used to, sick of being admonished for being honest.

Reactions: 4 users

I guarantee that you were clueless about vet med at one point as well. I'm sure you were bright eyed and bushy tailed and excited about life during your first vet experience. Maybe you didn't make others feel like you were blowing off their advice, but that's not your problem. They're there to learn, and it's not your job to force them to take your advice/suggestions, that's all on them.

If someone is being painfully ignorant, yeah that's annoying, but there's nothing you can do about it. It generally takes more energy than it's worth to try and force them to see things your way, yanno? Sometimes it's best to let people come to their own conclusions naturally, especially when it comes to situations like this when they are still trying to find out if this is the right career for them.

Side note, but same thing with the people who make comments like "Holy crap, I cannot believe so-and-so got accepted. That's terrifying, she's stupid/unskilled/has no idea about vet med/etc." For all you know, people have said/are saying the exact same about you/it's really none of your business anyways. Not until clinics, anyways, when someone's screw up can affect everyone.

Um, this happens all the time on these forums. Then I get yelled at for being the mean, bad person for being realistic with them. Kind of why I don't dole out as much advice as I used to, sick of being admonished for being honest.

Yeah I've seen that and I think it's important to be honest! I'd rather know what to expect than to go into something blindly. I feel like it's worse for me in person because I have to try not to laugh or tell them that they know nothing or wouldn't do well/make it in the career.

My favorite from the girl who is too awake in the morning is "oh I had a kid and I knew I couldn't handle being a doctor so I decided I want to be a vet instead because I like animals"

I guarantee that you were clueless about vet med at one point as well. I'm sure you were bright eyed and bushy tailed and excited about life during your first vet experience. Maybe you didn't make others feel like you were blowing off their advice, but that's not your problem. They're there to learn, and it's not your job to force them to take your advice/suggestions, that's all on them.

If someone is being painfully ignorant, yeah that's annoying, but there's nothing you can do about it. It generally takes more energy than it's worth to try and force them to see things your way, yanno? Sometimes it's best to let people come to their own conclusions naturally, especially when it comes to situations like this when they are still trying to find out if this is the right career for them.

Side note, but same thing with the people who make comments like "Holy crap, I cannot believe so-and-so got accepted. That's terrifying, she's stupid/unskilled/has no idea about vet med/etc." For all you know, people have said/are saying the exact same about you/it's really none of your business anyways. Not until clinics, anyways, when someone's screw up can affect everyone.

I wasn't forcing my advice down their throat. These are people who asked for it and then turn around and ignore it or think they know better. I was just asking if anyone else got annoyed by the same thing. I'm not mean to these people in person because honestly I think I'm too nice in general. Wasn't looking to get jumped on here.

Plus these people could be future potential colleagues so in a way, I think it is our business to educate people looking to work in this profession.

And this is a rant thread. I don't think it's really appropriate to tell someone they can't be annoyed by something in the tone you did. I'm open to polite discussion.

Yeah I've seen that and I think it's important to be honest! I'd rather know what to expect than to go into something blindly. I feel like it's worse for me in person because I have to try not to laugh or tell them that they know nothing or wouldn't do well/make it in the career.

My favorite from the girl who is too awake in the morning is "oh I had a kid and I knew I couldn't handle being a doctor so I decided I want to be a vet instead because I like animals"
Sorry, but this crosses a line for me. Who are you to tell someone just starting out that they won't make it as a vet? You haven't even started vet school yet and you're already feeling like you can make that call? I'm sure you have great vet experience, but it's not your place to judge someone and determine whether or not you feel that they can succeed. You can think it internally as much as you want, but to have to "try not to tell them?" Not to mention that you'd be surprised at the people who end up failing out of vet school or leaving voluntarily. It's not always those people who get called stupid or clueless or with less experience.

Again, I'm sure you could be dealing with some really annoying people, but get off your high horse.

It sounds like you have a certain impression of these people you're working with and that may be leaking through into your interactions with them. Perhaps this is why you're not getting the reaction you want.

Sorry, but this crosses a line for me. Who are you to tell someone just starting out that they won't make it as a vet? You haven't even started vet school yet and you're already feeling like you can make that call? I'm sure you have great vet experience, but it's not your place to judge someone and determine whether or not you feel that they can succeed. You can think it internally as much as you want, but to have to "try not to tell them?" Not to mention that you'd be surprised at the people who end up failing out of vet school or leaving voluntarily. It's not always those people who get called stupid or clueless or with less experience.

Again, I'm sure you could be dealing with some really annoying people, but get off your high horse.

It sounds like you have a certain impression of these people you're working with and that may be leaking through into your interactions with them. Perhaps this is why you're not getting the reaction you want.

Wow again, this was just a rant

This part I can agree with to an extent.

However, I think momo has the right to rant about people asking for advice and then blowing her off. It is frustrating and she should be allowed to vent about it without you jumping down her throat.

Wow again, this was just a rant
Hey, if you post something, you're welcoming comments on it. I've posted rants as well only to come back to five people voicing their disagreements and "jumping on me." Really though, it would do you some good to be a bit more humble.

Also edit: I never told you that you couldn't be annoyed actually. I even recognized that you're probably working with annoying people. My first post was quite understanding and suggested you don't waste your time on these people if they aren't willing to hear what you have to say.

Hey, if you post something, you're welcoming comments on it. I've posted rants as well only to come back to five people voicing their disagreements and "jumping on me." Really though, it would do you some good to be a bit more humble.

It wasn't my intent to seem like I can make a call on if someone could make it in the profession. I should've chosen my wording differently and I apologize for that. It's definitely not my place to decide that and I do think it sometimes internally but never say those things out loud. It's just an opinion, nothing more. Though I do think your response is a little over the top. You don't really know me and you're making all of these assumptions now about me too

It wasn't my intent to seem like I can make a call on if someone could make it in the profession. I should've chosen my wording differently and I apologize for that. It's definitely not my place to decide that and I do think it sometimes internally but never say those things out loud. It's just an opinion, nothing more. Though I do think your response is a little over the top. You don't really know me and you're making all of these assumptions now about me too
I mean, you did say word for word that you have to try not to tell people that they won't make it...I'm not really making an assumption about you when you say something like that. But whatever. I can't force you to take my advice, now can I? ;)

I mean, you did say word for word that you have to try not to tell people that they won't make it...I'm not really making an assumption about you when you say something like that. But whatever. I can't force you to take my advice, now can I? ;)

Um, I have that thought about some posters that come through here based on what they post. But you aren't going to moral compass me out of stopping thinking that way. Heck, there's a few posters where many of us have pointed out things they don't understand about the profession and based on their responses have suggested maybe they reconsider. I don't think it is wrong to say to some people that maybe this profession isn't the direction they should take. This profession can be really brutal and being realistic with some people, is probably a good thing, maybe even a lifesaving thing.

Again I should've chosen my words differently. It's not really what I meant. I don't go around constantly having those opinions on the tip of my tongue. I apologize for sounding like an ass. Sometimes I let my frustration get the better of me. And haha touché :p

In regards to staying on topic (sorta, not going to join in on the pissing match here):

I think everyone starts off naive, since no one is pre-programmed to understand the profession. When I first joined these forums I thought quite a few people on here were grumpy and jaded, and I cringe at some of my former views/attitudes I had before getting my hands dirty actually in a clinic/at a farm. I certainly was the annoying naive pre-vet, and I am grateful for the people around me who guided me into understanding the realities of the profession. (Or at least as far as I can tell, I have no doubt I am still quite naive in many ways haha)

Definitely experiences play a large role in personal growth/understanding. So since I have been lucky enough to get those experiences, I like to try and organize experiences like I've had for some of the other people who clearly haven't had those opportunities. I think that does more benefit than just telling people how you view things. For example, most people in my prevet club had no experience with production animals besides what propaganda was out there, and being able to go to a dairy farm to see how things actually are was incredibly good as a teaching moment, and since then I have noticed that in discussions people are far more critical of the things animal rights organizations have posted. Hopefully the people with the starry-eyed views hang around long enough to get a more wholesome understanding. :)

Some days I wonder why we all chose this profession. I mean I'm looking at the numbers, have had experience paying off (mostly) these types of numbers, I know plenty of people who highly regret choosing this profession because of the debt. Even those of us who are informed still decide to do this to ourselves. Why? I mean there isn't one reason I'm deciding to do this. I want this because of a series of life experiences and my values and beliefs. But seriously, why? I doubt this will make sense to anyone because I can't articulate it myself. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels this way. Why do you, random people on the internet, choose this profession over all others knowing the massive amount of debt you will accumulate is crippling.

As an aside I do feel that those of us who have done the homework so to speak and understand the massive problem of debt to income ratio that this profession holds are doing everything we can to keep the number down by going to IS or schools that allow switching to IS after the first year. But that's not always possible. So why do we do it?

And no, I've never told anyone point blank that they won't make it, I wouldn't do that. But I've been very honest with people about this profession and what thoughts go on in my head as I care for patients. And I do take the time to teach new people the cool things we can do and the things we see... as a number of the pre-vets have seen. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Some days I wonder why we all chose this profession. I mean I'm looking at the numbers, have had experience paying off (mostly) these types of numbers, I know plenty of people who highly regret choosing this profession because of the debt. Even those of us who are informed still decide to do this to ourselves. Why? I mean there isn't one reason I'm deciding to do this. I want this because of a series of life experiences and my values and beliefs. But seriously, why? I doubt this will make sense to anyone because I can't articulate it myself. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels this way. Why do you, random people on the internet, choose this profession over all others knowing the massive amount of debt you will accumulate is crippling.

As an aside I do feel that those of us who have done the homework so to speak and understand the massive problem of debt to income ratio that this profession holds are doing everything we can to keep the number down by going to IS or schools that allow switching to IS after the first year. But that's not always possible. So why do we do it?
If my tuition was on par with US tuition I am honestly not sure if I would have pursued this as a career, especially since several careers do interest me.

Um, I have that thought about some posters that come through here based on what they post. But you aren't going to moral compass me out of stopping thinking that way. Heck, there's a few posters where many of us have pointed out things they don't understand about the profession and based on their responses have suggested maybe they reconsider. I don't think it is wrong to say to some people that maybe this profession isn't the direction they should take. This profession can be really brutal.
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but I raise an eyebrow at one pre-vet (or just accepted pre-vet in this case) doing that to another, especially given the context that some of these people might be brand new to vet med. That's why I say to think it all you want, but don't act on it. Plus, you're also a doctor at this point, so hearing it from you means a heck of a lot more than hearing it from another pre-vet if someone really had to tell me I should give up. It'd make no sense to do it the other way around. I get everyone has their opinions, I have them as well. I just know I'm in no position to determine who deserves what/who will succeed. I know for a fact others have said I don't deserve to be where I am behind my back, and I have been told to my face that I won't pass vet school. I'm sure people on here have thought similar things about me as well.

Plus, there's a difference between being judgemental and saying "hey, we don't actually make any money and sometimes our lives suck and you don't seem to realize that, maybe you should get more experience/reconsider."
Again I should've chosen my words differently. It's not really what I meant. I don't go around constantly having those opinions on the tip of my tongue. I apologize for sounding like an ass. Sometimes I let my frustration get the better of me. And haha touché :p
Trust me, I get it! You have a lot of significantly more frustrating things coming your way though haha. Just stay humble. Just my opinion, but it's not ideal to feel you're better than the person next to you, especially when that person is brand new and you're a bit seasoned. if they don't want to take advantage of your experience while they still have you around, then that's their own fault :)

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but I raise an eyebrow at one pre-vet (or just accepted pre-vet in this case) doing that to another, especially given the context that some of these people might be brand new to vet med. That's why I say to think it all you want, but don't act on it. Plus, you're also a doctor at this point, so hearing it from you means a heck of a lot more than hearing it from another pre-vet if someone really had to tell me I should give up. It'd make no sense to do it the other way around. I get everyone has their opinions, I have them as well. I just know I'm in no position to determine who deserves what/who will succeed. I know for a fact others have said I don't deserve to be where I am behind my back, and I have been told to my face that I won't pass vet school. I'm sure people on here have thought similar things about me as well.

Plus, there's a difference between being judgemental and saying "hey, we don't actually make any money and sometimes our lives suck and you don't seem to realize that, maybe you should get more experience/reconsider."

Trust me, I get it! You have a lot of significantly more frustrating things coming your way though haha. Just stay humble. Just my opinion, but it's not ideal to feel you're better than the person next to you, especially when that person is brand new and you're a bit seasoned. if they don't want to take advantage of your experience while they still have you around, then that's their own fault :)

Yes that is very true haha. And I agree. I don't think I'm better than them I just thought my knowledge might be helpful but I guess it's ok if people don't want it :). I know I'm far from the most knowledgeable