RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really think the "ohsh*t" moments are the easiest part of ER medicine. It all comes down to stabilize, stabilize, stabilize. Breathing, beating, not bleeding.

It's those complicated weird referrals for some f'd up internal medicine <disaster> that I hate. Inevitably I just make sure that I do whatever baseline diagnostics the RDVM didn't do, hospitalize them with supportive care, and txfr them to an IntMed doc in the morning. I always feel pretty useless with those.

I'm with you on cafe work. Personally, I think long-haul trucking could be my next gig. Long days on the road belting out tunes with nobody to hear me singing and nobody to yell at me about how I'm greedy and don't care about animals and if I did I would just do this $3500 surgery for free.

Honestly, this profession sucks way more days than it ought to.

Mmm, referral to internal medicine. That sounds dreamy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, not hate. I'm glad people exist that love these crazy ass cases. I just wish I had the option to boot them all out the door with a smile.

We got a cat today with some HL going on presumed secondary to some IBD type issues that had come up previously. I'm more than capable of throwing some steroids and IV fluids at her and seeing what happens, but I'll admit that I'm glad to be gone tomorrow and therefore have the boss man managing it (and probably continuing to manage it after that). Ugh, I hate feeding tubes too.

Reactions: 1 users
Mmm, referral to internal medicine. That sounds dreamy.

You know it. The <only> nice thing about those cases is knowing I can wash my hands of it at 7:45AM in rounds. "Peace out, diabetic cardiomyopathy cushingoid pancreatitis IBD 16-year-old schnauzer, off to your IntMed handlers!"

Give me toxin cases any day. I <love> toxicology.

Reactions: 5 users
You know it. The <only> nice thing about those cases is knowing I can wash my hands of it at 7:45AM in rounds. "Peace out, diabetic cardiomyopathy cushingoid pancreatitis IBD 16-year-old schnauzer, off to your IntMed handlers!"

The only class I ever loved 100% was toxo, cows and all. Too bad being a veterinary toxicologist is like... barely a thing.

I like toxicology cases too. Just as long as I don't have to cut the patient open, I'm happy to manage it.

If it is something incredibly complicated that we just don't frankly have the staff for or needs 24 hour care... I punt it. Like the complicated schnauzer you mentioned above.

I mean, I'm not an internest so I'll recommend referral but if not an option, I'd rather deal with the diabetic schnauzer than the linear foreign body. Or the 130 pound lab pyo. Or the GDV. Or the bleeding splenic tumor.

I like toxicology cases too. Just as long as I don't have to cut the patient open, I'm happy to manage it.

If it is something incredibly complicated that we just don't frankly have the staff for or needs 24 hour care... I punt it. Like the complicated schnauzer you mentioned above.

I mean, I'm not an internest so I'll recommend referral but if not an option, I'd rather deal with the diabetic schnauzer than the linear foreign body. Or the 130 pound lab pyo. Or the GDV. Or the bleeding splenic tumor.
I can't even express how many pyos I'd rather cut than a single diabetic cardiomyopathy cushingoid pancreatituisoid schnauzer.

Reactions: 2 users

That was one of my favorite things about ER during my rotating internship.

(until the abovementioned schnauzer had a stroke or some neck pain, I didn't have to see them at all in my neuro internship haha)

Preach. If things get oozy during a freaking cat spay I'm like, "I need an adult!" But bring me your diabetics, your Addisonians, your asthmatic HCM cats yearning to breathe free!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my favorite things about my clinic is that we don't hospitalize overnight.

Well, as soon as I walked in today the other vet transferred a mostly stable DKA to me and told me the plan was to send it home this evening on its normal insulin. All I needed to do was monitor BG throughout the day and give regular insulin if the values were too high.
7pm (an hour before closing), the owners are not answering on any of the three phone numbers we have.
Come 8:15pm, the cat is still there...

So now I'm headed to the clinic at 10pm because his BG was only 100 at 8pm and I'm paranoid because he hadn't eaten in the clinic all day. So much for getting a good nights sleep- I'm usually in bed by 9 on Mondays. And I was cranky all day and now tomorrow will be even worse.

Y'all think I'm kidding about the Schnauzer, but we had a frequent flyer that was pretty much as described. And blind. He had two ... I think PharmD's? ... as owners. Really great people, highly invested in his care. He was in every month or so when he'd get a bit unstable, and IntMed would get him back on his feet. Had a pretty decent quality of life. Finally went over the deep end and was euthanized a few months back, but.... was a real patient. Rounds were always amusing when he was in the hospital. "Over there in #2 we have <name> ... usual problem list."

A few weeks back I had a parvo distemper (and seizuring) juvenile diabetic. It felt so good to punt that to IntMed. (Surprisingly, it survived. Not sure what kind of life it has ahead of it, but...)

Not so likely these days, trucking industry has gotten a lot more stringent.

Hmmm. What is the harm in having a dog along?

And I know at least <some> truckers are still doing it. 6 months ago I was at an intersection and a dog came trotting across. I got out, grabbed the dog, and a trucker ran up all out of breath - dog had hopped out at a gas station and decided to go on walkabout.

Reactions: 1 user
Y'all think I'm kidding about the Schnauzer, but we had a frequent flyer that was pretty much as described. And blind. He had two ... I think PharmD's? ... as owners. Really great people, highly invested in his care. He was in every month or so when he'd get a bit unstable, and IntMed would get him back on his feet. Had a pretty decent quality of life. Finally went over the deep end and was euthanized a few months back, but.... was a real patient. Rounds were always amusing when he was in the hospital. "Over there in #2 we have <name> ... usual problem list."

I had one of those too, almost literally the same exact problems (except also some weird skin condition that made it alopecic and horrible smelling) and a mini schnau, and it actually did have neck pain. However this one's owner was a PITA and kept "incidentally" asking us (neuro) about the other meds for all of its other conditions too. She also wanted us to anesthetize and MR the dog, lmao

Just as long as I don't have to cut the patient open, I'm happy to manage it.

Yesterday I had a dog peeing blood, I was sure it was a stone but none I could find on rads...not gonna lie, I was REALLY jonesing for a cystotomy. I would be SO happy doing surgery most of the day and leave the appointments things to other people. Not at all how I thought I would be as a vet student- I hated surgery - but hey, here I am!

One of our favourite patients was a diabetic, Cushingoid, blind Pug that was practically hairless. Amazingly he died of a freaking chocolate toxicity.

In an unrelated rant, what started as a cold has progressed to a raging laryngitis.

Last edited:
Both of my parents were out of action with a terrible flu 2 weeks ago, and I was beyond thankful that I seemingly avoided it since I have never seen them so sick.

However after crashing in bed for a "nap" at 5:30 PM last night, and not getting up until 8:00am this morning, I still feel like complete crap. If I caught the same thing I am in for a horrid next 7 days.

Grumpity grump grump grump.

However, I am thankful I got to sleep in until 8 instead of my 4:30am wakeup time that I have a few other days during the week.

Reactions: 3 users
The gofundme to help LoTF is really close to it's goal!

[Edited by mods]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
Yesterday I had a dog peeing blood, I was sure it was a stone but none I could find on rads...not gonna lie, I was REALLY jonesing for a cystotomy. I would be SO happy doing surgery most of the day and leave the appointments things to other people. Not at all how I thought I would be as a vet student- I hated surgery - but hey, here I am!

True fact - I have never done a cystotomy.

(I don't do them on ER; it's not an emergent procedure. Most of us hospitalize overnight and have it done during the daytime when we have deeper staffing so that we don't tie ourselves up in surgery and a GDV comes in. And, it tends to get nasty phone calls from GPs who want to know why we're doing something with their client they could have done the next day. A few of our ER docs will do them, though, especially if it's at one of our non-24-hr hospitals.)

I'm back a few pages, but thought I owed y'all an update:

We moved into a house in town. The goats and rabbits moved to a new friend's house. The cow jumped her fences and so is back on the farm. Most of the chickens have been given away.

The kids are starting to get reliable bed times again and are getting the new routine down.

We are making our list of loss. There are boxes that were supposed to be destroyed but weren't, so they will be stored while we wait to see what to actually do with them.

We have been given lots of clothes for the girls and enough for us to survive, just repeating a lot and doing laundry frequently.

We are working on cleaning out the house. My husband will need help carrying the bigger stuff because I am pretty useless right now. :) Everything we take from the house needs wiped down before it is moved.

My older daughter has been having trouble breathing since we moved out. We believe it is a relapse of her severe obstructive sleep apnea due to stress, a stuffy nose, and not drinking thickened liquids for a couple weeks. But, it does illustrate why she is at the most risk of having asbestos particles in her lungs that she cannot clear.

My younger daughter has developed a mystery rash and the pediatrician has referred us to a dermatologist as it doesn't really match illness or laundry allergy and had him stumped enough that he was giggling and making bad medical jokes.

I need to thank all of you who have supported us through all of this, and I will get there... eventually! Thank you for the patience too! You guys have made it possible for us to stay in the hotel a few more nights and then to sign a new (short term) lease right away. We could feed the family and afford the gas to go back and forth to the farm to take care of animals and start moving what we have left. You guys took the world that was crashing around me, and helped me prop it up and keep going! We only need to make it until May and that was looking impossible without your help. Thank you so much!

As far as the future, the baby is looking big and healthy. We might have a new house lined up for after the move. I have to gets goats registered and some sold and a bunch of other little details, but there is forward progress each day. I do not yet know how or when we will be reimbursed for our destroyed stuff... but the landlord is still pretending to try to work with us.

Reactions: 17 users
Re speeding tickets:
$350 for going 6 over in WA

So in the last week I've had an upper respiratory infection which lead to bronchitis, which was about to clear up, but decided to turn into walking pneumonia before the it cleared! :rage:

So we're gonna be pumping me with more antibiotics and steroids as my lungs attempt to self destruct. :asshat:

Er...at least walking pneumonia is better than...non-walking pneumonia...?

(As unhelpful as that is.)

How I feel about how my life has gone the past few weeks :boom:knew the good luck/happiness wouldn't last long.

So in the last week I've had an upper respiratory infection which lead to bronchitis, which was about to clear up, but decided to turn into walking pneumonia before the it cleared! :rage:

So we're gonna be pumping me with more antibiotics and steroids as my lungs attempt to self destruct. :asshat:
@cdoconn ... sorry you're feeling ill.

Gotta get you healthy and well before you start your first year of vet med school.

Hope you feel better soon! :)

kittengetwell.png

Tweaked my back at the gym last night so a lot of random movements hurt today. Also almost crashed my car when a spider started to dangle from the roof and I saw it our of the corner of my eye.

Tweaked my back at the gym last night so a lot of random movements hurt today. Also almost crashed my car when a spider started to dangle from the roof and I saw it our of the corner of my eye.
I accidentally read that as "twerked my back at the gym" and I was like...what kind of gym did you go to?

Were you in a construction zone? That seems excessive
Maybe... It was a while ago, but I seem to remember it had to do with percentage of speed limit. The area was a 25 mph. I was headed home and went down a slight hill and let the car drift rather than ride my brake... and cop stopped me at the bottom.

It was on one of the relatively flat spots south of WSU through the frat district in Pullman.

Final stretch of classes before graduation(what how is this happening) has given me the lovely gift of catching g a virus of some sort in addition to what I think might be an ear infection(not sure because I've never had one but my left ear is itchy and sounds are muffled)

Final stretch of classes before graduation(what how is this happening) has given me the lovely gift of catching g a virus of some sort in addition to what I think might be an ear infection(not sure because I've never had one but my left ear is itchy and sounds are muffled)
Well it sounds like I'm saving a spot for you in my sick bed. We're watching movies, drinking soup, and thinking of the glory days from before we were sick.

My dog is in the teaching hospital today for surgery. :(

He's getting a mouth mass removed. It should be routine but he's has mouth issues before and it makes me twitchy.

I'm in class, definitely not paying attention to the material on the screen. Just looking at pictures of my pup.

True fact - I have never done a cystotomy.

(I don't do them on ER; it's not an emergent procedure. Most of us hospitalize overnight and have it done during the daytime when we have deeper staffing so that we don't tie ourselves up in surgery and a GDV comes in. And, it tends to get nasty phone calls from GPs who want to know why we're doing something with their client they could have done the next day. A few of our ER docs will do them, though, especially if it's at one of our non-24-hr hospitals.)

I would say I've never done a GDV but then my first appointment on Thursday will be a GDV, so... ;) There's actually a VIN thread about what people haven't seen/done even after long careers and it was pretty funny - some were quite regional (heartworm cases, etc) but some were really random. Yesterday I saw my second (presumed) trigeminal neuritis dog in two years and my coworker who has been in practice for 23 years had never seen one at all :laugh:

He's getting a mouth mass removed. It should be routine but he's has mouth issues before and it makes me twitchy.

I'm in class, definitely not paying attention to the material on the screen. Just looking at pictures of my pup.

I'm so sorry! I'm sending you good vibes!

That was me yesterday. My pup had a growth removed from his eye yesterday, and most of the day was spent scrolling through puppy photos. Hope it goes well with him! Let us know how it goes!!!

Well it sounds like I'm saving a spot for you in my sick bed. We're watching movies, drinking soup, and thinking of the glory days from before we were sick.

Are cats allowed too? My glory days up until me getting sick were allergy filled so not too impressive.
Mmmm soup. Sesame chicken and rice normally does the trick for me but I don't think it will this time around. I had some amazing potato soup on the cruise and would die for more. I might stop by the grocery store and get the tomato and potato Panera at home soups

Are cats allowed too? My glory days up until me getting sick were allergy filled so not too impressive.
Mmmm soup. Sesame chicken and rice normally does the trick for me but I don't think it will this time around. I had some amazing potato soup on the cruise and would die for more. I might stop by the grocery store and get the tomato and potato Panera at home soups
Cats are actually required. I need more kitties in my life, especially your kitties

Quite possibly. Also sometimes pain. Ear infections are funnnnnn

Cats are actually required. I need more kitties in my life, especially your kitties
Hear that, kittens and cats everywhere?

Let's help @cdoconn and @Balesofhay feel better!

Move over ... here we come ... we'll bring plenty of kibble and catnip for everyone!

kittenbed1.jpg

Reactions: 9 users