RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in Oklahoma 9 months out of a year, and then in Texas for the remainder of the year. I never get stopped in Oklahoma, I got a speeding ticket last Monday in Texas for going 11 over because they recently changed the speed limit from 55 to 45 and I was going 56. $148, not including changes to insurance.

Luckily I was able to request to do a defense driving course so all in all it'll be ~$150. It sucks. So yeah, I feel you bats.

It's $255, and no option to do the driving course cause I can't do it down there/aren't a resident. I want to look at google maps and actually see the road. I don't remember the speed limiting being 55 before the cop (who was parked around a blind turn in front of the 55 mph sign), and I could have definitely be slowed down to 55 by that sign as I pulled over ten feet after it. I'm normally way good around small towns after living in Nebraska for so long.

Members don't see this ad.

It's $255, and no option to do the driving course cause I can't do it down there/aren't a resident. I want to look at google maps and actually see the road. I don't remember the speed limiting being 55 before the cop (who was parked around a blind turn in front of the 55 mph sign), and I could have definitely be slowed down to 55 by that sign as I pulled over ten feet after it. I'm normally way good around small towns after living in Nebraska for so long.
Sounds about right. Small towns in Texas suck. Sorry you got a ticket. :(

I once got two speeding tickets in one day. In pretty much exactly the same spot (one going east, the other on my way back west).

That was stellar.

I have had the same insurance for .... almost 30 years without a claim, though. So I never heard boo about it, and my rates stayed the same with my safe driver discount.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Damn. I got my first speeding ticket a couple months ago and it was less than half of that. Crazy.

Lol.

I mean. I joke, but only sorta.

Taking an evening off - or a half evening off - to just decompress with friends... laugh... bitch about school... that always helped.

Or with family.

Or just with me and my dog/dogs going for a super long walk.

But there were a lot of nights I just came home, drank a couple beers, and kept reminding myself "it's just 4 years. there's a light at the end if I just plod along and don't think about all 4 years all at once."

It sucks, but you'll make it. The problems don't get easier after school, but at least you have some choices you can make to improve things. Way easier to switch workplaces if you don't like it then to switch schools.

I've been feeling this way throughout the last quarter into the current one. We've had four people drop to the incoming class and my grades were on the fence for a bit (picked them up last quarter), so last quarter was high stress.

I have just been doing me. Not hanging around negative people, taking alone time if I need it, getting at least 6 hours of sleep a night, and looking at what I want to do. Keeping the dream alive so to speak. If other people want something from me, they gotta take a number; I'm the most important thing in my immediate life. The family and most friends have been super supportive of this life choice. 9/10 recommend (and that 1/10 can pay my tuition if they don't like it ;))

Good advice! This semester is notorious for being the most difficult, and I've been putting off spending time doing the things that make me happy (hanging out with friends, time outdoors, etc) because I constantly feel like I'm behind and need to study more. I didn't even go home over spring break because we had a ClinPath midterm the day we got back, two more exams this week, and a project that needed to be done.

I think I really need to carve out time for some fun, even if it means I might get a little bit behind.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't even go home over spring break because we had a ClinPath midterm the day we got back, two more exams this week, and a project that needed to be done.

I feel this. I also didn't go home for spring break because it wasn't worth the 4000 miles I would've driven between going to SAVMA, then back here, then home, then back here again. But I will be going to a friend's wedding in Nebraska next month, come hell or high water. The separation from the school and my classmates is sorely needed.

My only speeding ticket was $250, first offense and traffic deferral program.

I got my first speeding ticket a few months ago while heading out into the boonies to pick up some classmates from a barn party (I was DDing). I was going about 90 in a 70, but got written up for 5 over because I'm a smooth talker. It was like $90 for the ticket and a $15 charge to make a payment. This was in middle of nowhere central Michigan.
My wife got a ticket from a traffic camera for turning right on red without fully stopping while visiting California last month. $450. Freakin ridiculous.

Thank you, Dr S. My work was extremely accommodating so I feel much better about that. I feel instantly fortunate to be apart of this team - even with a toothache, I loved my first day! Today I've been feeling nauseous and then it clicked... 4ish years ago I had a pilonidal cyst abscess and the SMZ TMP made me really sick. Well, we weren't sure if it was the medication or the infection (I went to the ER and into surgery not long after). After today, I think it's safe to say it's the medication. Hoping switching medication won't be too terrible!
Ohhh--I've suffered through that too, unfortunately (also 4 years ago, now that I think about it...huh). Sucky thing to go through on multiple levels...

Ohhh--I've suffered through that too, unfortunately (also 4 years ago, now that I think about it...huh). Sucky thing to go through on multiple levels...

Oh man... I actually think that it was worse than having ACL surgery. I'm sorry you went through that, too. They basically took me right into surgery and left me with a giant wound that needed daily bandage changes for what felt like forever, in such a private place. The surgeon's words, "I didn't expect to take so much, but every time I cut I got more pus". Definitely gained empathy for pets w/ abscesses.

Oh man... I actually think that it was worse than having ACL surgery. I'm sorry you went through that, too. They basically took me right into surgery and left me with a giant wound that needed daily bandage changes for what felt like forever, in such a private place. The surgeon's words, "I didn't expect to take so much, but every time I cut I got more pus". Definitely gained empathy for pets w/ abscesses.
It happened to me during my second-to-last semester...whenever I was finally able to visit the school health center and the nurse and doctor saw it, they literally gasped and said "oh gosh, you poor thing!" since I was out-of-state I wasn't able to get surgery until right after I went home for summer. I was lucky though, they elected to close mine and I had no further complications with the site, so I didn't have to deal with the daily bandage/packing change thing.

Speeding tickets for us range from 138-253 CAD depending on where you speed (school zone, etc).

There is "excessive speeding" which is 368-483 CAD though.

Using electronics while driving is an automatic 368 CAD, plus a bunch of points against your license.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a speeding ticket from a camera once. Bailed to vet school in a different country. They attempted to serve me two days after I left. Hahahhaha... suckers.

Reactions: 3 users
I got a speeding ticket from a camera once. Bailed to vet school in a different country. They attempted to serve me two days after I left. Hahahhaha... suckers.

I suppose that's one way to get out of paying a ticket. Might be the more expensive route but if you're really in a pinch.. :p

Reactions: 2 users
Kind of a petty rant: Our graduation ceremony is the only one at the university that doesn't do tickets so it doesn't guarantee admission to whoever you invite. Seating is just first come, first serve. I have multiple family members that want to fly across the country for it... My dad, who I've seen once in ten years and who has never come to America since I moved here, was going to come. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem very smart for people to make long flights like that only to show up to graduation and potentially be told the place is full.

Kind of a petty rant: Our graduation ceremony is the only one at the university that doesn't do tickets so it doesn't guarantee admission to whoever you invite. Seating is just first come, first serve. I have multiple family members that want to fly across the country for it... My dad, who I've seen once in ten years and who has never come to America since I moved here, was going to come. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem very smart for people to make long flights like that only to show up to graduation and potentially be told the place is full.
Where will the graduation be held? Is there a lot of seating available? When my brother graduated, they didn't do tickets but they had it in a larger area and we had no issues at all getting seats for 15 people. It never completely filled up for us. You might check the location?

Could they just go into the place reeeeaaaallllyyyy early to make sure they get seats?

Where will the graduation be held? Is there a lot of seating available? When my brother graduated, they didn't do tickets but they had it in a larger area and we had no issues at all getting seats for 15 people. It never completely filled up for us. You might check the location?
Could they just go into the place reeeeaaaallllyyyy early to make sure they get seats?
It's at some auditorium in Pasadena. I have no idea if there's a lot of seating available, but I'm trying to find out. I'm just concerned because a lot of my classmates want to invite 15+ people, and that seems like a lot of people for a 105-person class.

Getting there early? I don't know... that's going to be my recommendation but I have to be there a couple hours early so I can't really monitor that the day of. Also, one family member likely won't want anything to do with everyone else from my family that's going, so that complicates things. That day is going to be a little messy for me.

I have spring fever so bad right now. I've been spending hours planning my garden, looking up ways to preserve all the veggies, shopping at Lowes and TSC, and making outside chore "to-do" lists. Been watching the 15 day forecasts like a hawk...and there are still way too many nights with lows below 40 :( :( :(

Reactions: 5 users
Working a 15 hour day with a stomach virus. Do not favor running to the bathroom to puke while practicing medicine. Ughhh. So happy my bed is a thing right now.

It's at some auditorium in Pasadena. I have no idea if there's a lot of seating available, but I'm trying to find out. I'm just concerned because a lot of my classmates want to invite 15+ people, and that seems like a lot of people for a 105-person class.

Getting there early? I don't know... that's going to be my recommendation but I have to be there a couple hours early so I can't really monitor that the day of. Also, one family member likely won't want anything to do with everyone else from my family that's going, so that complicates things. That day is going to be a little messy for me.
I bet the number of people who only bring a coiple will balance out the huge groups, that what happened for us. And we had tickets, people just asked for extras and therenwere quitema few to go around

Phrases from my day:
"Kidneys shouldn't be that shape."
"This blood looks like kool-aid."
"I'll hug you if you hug me."

Yeah. One of those days. Four euthanasias, a hit-by-car cat that was agonal on presentation, and three more that didn't get euthanized today but got diagnoses with very poor outlooks and will probably be coming back for euthanasia this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
a hit-by-car cat that was agonal on presentation,

Aside from the distress for the owner and animal, I love those cases. You either get a spectacular win that makes you feel like a rockstar or meh, they were already basically dead when they got to you and you can't be blamed for them dying.

I know. Cynical. But it's true.

(But I'm sorry about your day. That sounds like my typical shift.)

Got a 6 am email from the DMV saying my insurance was cancelled and therefore I can't drive my car, but my provider's website says I'm paid in full. Wtf. :mad:

Either way, no more sleep for me!

Had an overnight shift where I came off feeling like I did everything wrong in the eyes of one particular doctor. Did I do everything perfectly? No. But my patients are alive and currently stable. I'm just getting tired of never living up her expectations just cause I do things differently (and not medically wrong and I went over my plans with the other doctor on too).

Had an overnight shift where I came off feeling like I did everything wrong in the eyes of one particular doctor. Did I do everything perfectly? No. But my patients are alive and currently stable. I'm just getting tired of never living up her expectations just cause I do things differently (and not medically wrong and I went over my plans with the other doctor on too).

That internship life...

(the end is in view!!)

This is me at my current job (one particular doctor and support staff). Leaving in 2 months. :thumbup:

Aside from the distress for the owner and animal, I love those cases. You either get a spectacular win that makes you feel like a rockstar or meh, they were already basically dead when they got to you and you can't be blamed for them dying.

I know. Cynical. But it's true.

(But I'm sorry about your day. That sounds like my typical shift.)

I don't have a lot of days like this being a GP but they're brutal when I do.

I hear you on the cyncism though. I looked at the appointment book and saw that there was a "Mobility issues" old dog booked in 15 minutes before lunch on an already crazy busy morning. When it turned into a euthanasia there was a small part of me that was like "Well, at least this is faster..." Same with the agonal cat. :/

When it turned into a euthanasia there was a small part of me that was like "Well, at least this is faster..." Same with the agonal cat. :/
I've had this thought as a tech and always felt bad about it, glad to hear I'm not alone!

Managing animals with chronic crap - endocrine stuff, liver problems or hepatic lipidosis, kidney failure, blah blah - really stresses me out. I don't like it. Sometimes I still wonder about ER medicine, but I don't know if I could handle all the "ohsh*t" moments either.

And then some days I want to pay off my loans and then go work for a cafe or something where the worst that could happen is getting a sandwich wrong.

Managing animals with chronic crap - endocrine stuff, liver problems or hepatic lipidosis, kidney failure, blah blah - really stresses me out. I don't like it. Sometimes I still wonder about ER medicine, but I don't know if I could handle all the "ohsh*t" moments either.

And then some days I want to pay off my loans and then go work for a cafe or something where the worst that could happen is getting a sandwich wrong.

I want to go back to working at the bakery from 12AM to 4AM... biggest worry.... Oops, I dropped the frozen cookie dough ball on the floor. No customers to deal with. We just had to place the crap on trays to be baked and pre-measure and set out the ingredients for certain things for the bakers.

Yeah it's kind of bad but I've recently started being pretty "who cares" about a lot of work problems my friends have, that I'm sure seem very legit and scary to them but it's like oh boy, some billionaire who owns a company lost a few dollars because of your mistake, at least their kid's puppy didn't die.

Reactions: 2 users
Background: I got 4 hours of sleep last night. At our clinic, we have ONE walk-in appointment spot. Today, we have had SIX walk-ins.

In order, they have been:

- puppy with acute vomiting (vomited all over the clinic this morning) who can't be kenneled because he goes ballistic
- fractious cat in renal failure who is now urinating blood, with the owner on vacation and the caretaker sobbing because the owner is leaving the euthanasia decision up to the caretaker
- FIP cat, who is turning into a very sad after hours in-home euthanasia (which we usually don't do)
- dog who just had a TPLO that just completely shattered the repaired leg -- the rads were just terrible looking
- dog with emergent seizures
- kitten with possible panleuk symptoms who is a new patient and coming on the heels of the owner's last kitten, which they dropped off at our clinic to euthanize because they were going on vacation and the kitten had been super sick for WEEKS

On top of that, the *regular* appointments have been filled with our most irresponsible, obnoxious clients who drive me up a wall, decline medical procedures left and right, and complain about everything.

I'm the only tech for 2 doctors (and also playing receptionist), the phone has been ringing off the hook, and one of our blood machines broke this morning. I didn't eat breakfast and didn't eat lunch, had to drive here in freezing rain and hail, and I was also late and got yelled at.

I get to go home to 6 hours of physics homework and a sick husband who either has the stomach flu or food poisoning.

WHAT IS UP WITH TODAY.

sent from ma fone

Reactions: 7 users
Background: I got 4 hours of sleep last night. At our clinic, we have ONE walk-in appointment spot. Today, we have had SIX walk-ins.

- puppy with acute vomiting (vomited all over the clinic this morning) who can't be kenneled because he goes ballistic
- fractious cat in renal failure who is now urinating blood, with the owner on vacation and the caretaker sobbing because the owner is leaving the euthanasia decision up to the caretaker
- FIP cat, who is turning into a very sad after hours in-home euthanasia (which we usually don't do)
- dog who just had a TPLO that just completely shattered the repaired leg -- the rads were just terrible looking
- kitten with possible panleuk symptoms who is a new patient and coming on the heels of the owner's last kitten, which they dropped off at our clinic to euthanize because they were going on vacation and the kitten had been super sick for WEEKS

On top of that, the *regular* appointments have been filled with our most irresponsible, obnoxious clients who drive me up a wall, decline medical procedures left and right, and complain about everything.

I'm the only tech for 2 doctors (and also playing receptionist), the phone has been ringing off the hook, and one of our blood machines broke this morning. I didn't eat breakfast and didn't eat lunch, had to drive here in freezing rain and hail, and I was also late and got yelled at.

I get to go home to 6 hours of physics homework and a sick husband who either has the stomach flu or food poisoning.

WHAT IS UP WITH TODAY.

sent from ma fone

I am so sorry Pippy. And to top it all off you probably have stoner eyes :p! Sorry I hope your day gets better.

WHAT IS UP WITH TODAY.

sent from ma fone
:(

I hate doom days like that.

WHAT IS UP WITH TODAY.

sent from ma fone
im sorry pippy<3

Reactions: 3 users

WHAT IS UP WITH TODAY.

sent from ma fone
@PippyPony your Monday sounds frustrating, pressure-filled and thankless - so I just wanted to say "thank you" for being a hard-working vet tech/future veterinarian. It's no fun to feel overwhelmed on any day of the week - especially when caring for seriously ailing patients. Hope your week gets better. :)

Reactions: 6 users

I really think the "ohsh*t" moments are the easiest part of ER medicine. It all comes down to stabilize, stabilize, stabilize. Breathing, beating, not bleeding.

It's those complicated weird referrals for some f'd up internal medicine <disaster> that I hate. Inevitably I just make sure that I do whatever baseline diagnostics the RDVM didn't do, hospitalize them with supportive care, and txfr them to an IntMed doc in the morning. I always feel pretty useless with those.

I'm with you on cafe work. Personally, I think long-haul trucking could be my next gig. Long days on the road belting out tunes with nobody to hear me singing and nobody to yell at me about how I'm greedy and don't care about animals and if I did I would just do this $3500 surgery for free.

Honestly, this profession sucks way more days than it ought to.

Yeah it's kind of bad but I've recently started being pretty "who cares" about a lot of work problems my friends have, that I'm sure seem very legit and scary to them but it's like oh boy, some billionaire who owns a company lost a few dollars because of your mistake, at least their kid's puppy didn't die.

Yup. "Oh no, you had to stay an hour late once last week." (If I leave 'just' one hour after my shift ends it's a friggin' miracle.)

"Oh no, your boss asked you to cut your lunch short!" (If I get a lunch it's unusual. Usually I just work steady through my shift with barely enough time to run to the bathroom to pee. Oh, and it's a 14-hr shift, dickweed.)

One of my favorites was someone who presented all distraught to our ER at 3AM. My tech was taking history and came back shaking her head. She said, "This lady just told me, 'I'm sorry I'm so flustered... I'm just really tired... you have no idea what it's like to work all night.'"

Yeah. Tough life, lady.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm with you on cafe work. Personally, I think long-haul trucking could be my next gig. Long days on the road belting out tunes with nobody to hear only the dog to hear me singing and nobody to yell at me about how I'm greedy and don't care about animals and if I did I would just do this $3500 surgery for free.

FTFY. Because, you know you'd have a dog tag along with. ;)

Reactions: 5 users