RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
there are an astonishing number of people that you interview and you're like "omg, no, please go find another career" and you wonder how they got to the interview table.

You know, some days I'm like "Ugh, I'm never going to get in to vet school!" But if the bar is set so low that being a reasonable human being is enough to get me through an interview, I think I might just have a chance! :thinking:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
^^ Hey me too! I try to be a reasonable pre-vet. Thanks for the good advice. I'm starting out but it helps! I just have to keep up my grades and I have my acceptance! That helps! When I met with the interviewer for the early admit program and I asked what type person do they turn down they told me some things people had said and it amazed me they ever got to an interview. Like, "My family wanted me to go into medicine. I don't really like people much so I decided being a vet would be the easiest way to make my folks happy." Uh nooooooo!

RANT... hmmm I can't stand my English class! That isn't true. I love the class, the information is really interesting. The teacher is a bit narrow-minded and grades incredibly hard (took me awhile to learn I have to write based on his beliefs to do well). Think I'm not doing any more Honors classes. No need, just keep that GPA high!

I'm mad because we got our first legit troll in YEARS and @Lupin21 had to be a party pooper and close the thread.

sigh
It's like a wild animal. if you can release it back into the wild after fixing the problem, you do. Otherwise, you humanely euthanize, right? Trolls can't be domesticated

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
I hate you all.
giphy (3).gif

I hate my sister. I absolutely hate her. She is only capable of one thing: taking. And she pitches a tantrum if you tell her no. She continuously uses my nepbew as a pawn to demand money. She never texts me to say hi or see how I am or any of that. She only ever asks me to lend her money. She's 36 going on 6 and I can't stand her.

I hate my sister. I absolutely hate her. She is only capable of one thing: taking. And she pitches a tantrum if you tell her no. She continuously uses my nepbew as a pawn to demand money. She never texts me to say hi or see how I am or any of that. She only ever asks me to lend her money. She's 36 going on 6 and I can't stand her.

The stories I could tell you about my sister also, she has 3 kids (of her own) and 3 step-kids that she uses to get money from others... (I need $ for them for Christmas or I need $ to get them clothes for school, etc). And same thing, she only ever text me or talks to me when she is looking for money. If you ever just want to vent, feel free to PM me.

I'm right with you there with the sister thing. Mine has emotional issues, in and out of hospitals for suicidal thoughts, addicted to guys, uses my parents terribly and is a BIG reason I am 1200 miles from home! She doesn't go to school or work but somehow figures everyone else should just give her money, a car, gas, etc. I could go on. Grrrrrr

Oh and I lost my car keys and can't find them anywhere. Had to pay $50 to replace my dorm key and call home to have my folks send me the spare key.

Dang. Sisters suck.

My half-sister was 18, unmarried, living in a trailer park, and got knocked up by her boyfriend (all due to decisions she has made. She's very smart and could be much better off than she chooses to be). Said it was a mistake, she made a bad decision, asked for help, woe is me, yada yada. Whole family bought into it. She is now due with another kid almost a year to the day from her first kid's birthday. Think you would have learned the first time?!?!

As y'all have experienced above, the only time I hear from her now is when she needs a babysitter or to complain about being broke (i.e. asking for money). I just don't get it.

Never had this happen to me before and I'm still fuming about it.
Took my two dogs to walk trails this evening, I have a Great Pyrenees and a heeler/pit mix, and had an older woman give me a lecture/harass and block me from walking the trail over my pit mix because he had a gentle leader on and she assumed it was a muzzle. She said it was a fact that he was aggressive, a biter, and shouldn't be able to walk the trails because she feared for her dogs life because he has that "thing" on his mouth, even after I explained what it was. Her daschund then proceed to try and bite me and both my dogs as we tried to get away from her.

Apparently the JW Marriott in Austin thinks it's 20 years ago because they charge $15/day to use the WiFi. Considering the room is almost $200/night that is ridiculous. So frustrating because my work doesn't have the budget to reimburse me for that but I brought my laptop to get work done in my spare time during this conference. I didn't know places like this still existed. Ugh.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Apparently the JW Marriott in Austin thinks it's 20 years ago because they charge $15/day to use the WiFi. Considering the room is almost $200/night that is ridiculous. So frustrating because my work doesn't have the budget to reimburse me for that but I brought my laptop to get work done in my spare time during this conference. I didn't know places like this still existed. Ugh.

Are you sure that is not meant for people who just come to the bar? You could possibly throw a fit to the desk staff and get that taken off otherwise.

A lot of hotels that cater mostly to business travel still charge for wifi because those travelers just always have work reimburse (or have rewards/points that make it free anyway). It's a pain in the ass. I recommend a local Starbucks...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Are you sure that is not meant for people who just come to the bar? You could possibly throw a fit to the desk staff and get that taken off otherwise.
My roomie asked and nope, that's the policy for guests. Supposedly if you're a rewards member you can get it free but we tried joining up and couldn't get it to work and the front desk essentially blew us off. Just frustrating

My roomie asked and nope, that's the policy for guests. Supposedly if you're a rewards member you can get it free but we tried joining up and couldn't get it to work and the front desk essentially blew us off. Just frustrating

yeah, that is not acceptable. what a bunch of bs. I share in your rage

Ugh, it seems like it's always the pricier hotels that don't have free wifi. Or breakfast.

The "me too" posts have been going around my Facebook feed this week and they break my heart every time I see them. So many important people in my life have been harmed and I wish I could take it away from them.

The "me too" posts have been going around my Facebook feed this week and they break my heart every time I see them. So many important people in my life have been harmed and I wish I could take it away from them.
Same. When I first saw it, I didn't know what it was, and sort of rolled my eyes thinking it was like people posting their bra colour for breast cancer "awareness". Then I looked it up and my heart sank. Way too many of my friends. And then I posted too.

I am thoroughly disappointed (but also somehow not surprised) at the reactions some of my classmates had to them. One female classmate in particular made a status about how posting "Me too" takes away from those who have suffered real trauma (wait, what?).

I usually don't like to participate in stuff like this because anytime I've opened up, I've been accused of lying for attention because everyone assumes an assaulter wouldn't want an overweight person. But for another woman to say that we haven't been through real trauma? I'm at least glad to know who I never need to associate with again.

I am thoroughly disappointed (but also somehow not surprised) at the reactions some of my classmates had to them. One female classmate in particular made a status about how posting "Me too" takes away from those who have suffered real trauma (wait, what?).

I usually don't like to participate in stuff like this because anytime I've opened up, I've been accused of lying for attention because everyone assumes an assaulter wouldn't want an overweight person. But for another woman to say that we haven't been through real trauma? I'm at least glad to know who I never need to associate with again.

I was raped twice. I'm overweight. There's no correlation. I didn't post mostly because family doesn't know. And because it makes things worse sometimes to think about it.

Reactions: 5 users
I was raped twice. I'm overweight. There's no correlation. I didn't post mostly because family doesn't know. And because it makes things worse sometimes to think about it.
I understand that completely. My mom knows what happened to me, but I was veryyyy drunk when it happened so there's still a lot of shame I feel when I look back on it.

I posted mostly because I get so sick of hearing stories similar to mine. "Really? You got assaulted? I'm surprised." Such bullsh*t.

Last edited:
One female classmate in particular made a status about how posting "Me too" takes away from those who have suffered real trauma (wait, what?).

I usually don't like to participate in stuff like this because anytime I've opened up, I've been accused of lying for attention because everyone assumes an assaulter wouldn't want an overweight person. But for another woman to say that we haven't been through real trauma?
I don't care if it was a classmate. I would tear a strip off this person and then block them so fast it would make your head spin. I also think the inclusion of sexual harassment gives people a bit of protection against the whole "-You- were raped??" because there's the option of it was "just" harassment but it still shows the misogyny and sexual violence ALL women face daily.

I also think the inclusion of sexual harassment gives people a bit of protection against the whole "-You- were raped??" because there's the option of it was "just" harassment but it still shows the misogyny and sexual violence ALL women face daily.
Personally I decided not to post it because I've just experienced street harassment and creepy guys hitting on me occasionally, which seems so trivial compared to what so many people I know have experienced.

Personally I decided not to post it because I've just experienced street harassment and creepy guys hitting on me occasionally, which seems so trivial compared to what so many people I know have experienced.
I mean it isn't though. Some harassment is downright frightening. I think a ton of people think about just catcalling when they hear 'sexual harassment.' They forget it's also the guy who backs you into a corner in a bar and you have to duck under his arms to escape, the guy that blocks the doorway as you try to leave the room to get away from him, the guy that waits outside the girls bathroom for you to come back out while you're trying to get someone to come help you, and more. Someone doesn't have to touch you to traumatize/terrify you. Please don't diminish your own story, it's just as valid as important as anyone else's.

Reactions: 5 users
And you're free not to post. I do feel it's important to recognize that even "just" sexual harassment comes from the same place as rape and plays into the same mindset about female sexuality and body autonomy, and that we are sluts, prudes, ******, "asking for it", "teasing", I could go on. That ultimately our bodies and our sexuality is not under our own control.

Wait, what? So an overweight person can't be attractive? Or sexual assault has ANYTHING to do with attraction at all? That's one of the stupidest, most offensive things I've heard.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm slightly (okay, a lot) obsessed with houseplants.
Since moving into a house with windows my collection has increased dramatically. I love having plants hanging everywhere. Which isn't a problem....
Until your so called heavy duty window command hooks send a planter crashing to the ground in the middle of the night. I'm guessing it was the sudden weather change because they have been in that spot for almost 7 months without issue. Now my night is complete with broken clay pot, dirt everywhere and stupid puppy in the middle of the dirt pile afterwards.
Ugh.

I mean it isn't though. Some harassment is downright frightening. I think a ton of people think about just catcalling when they hear 'sexual harassment.' They forget it's also the guy who backs you into a corner in a bar and you have to duck under his arms to escape, the guy that blocks the doorway as you try to leave the room to get away from him, the guy that waits outside the girls bathroom for you to come back out while you're trying to get someone to come help you, and more. Someone doesn't have to touch you to traumatize/terrify you. Please don't diminish your own story, it's just as valid as important as anyone else's.

Yes, and it's the "trivial" things that are most likely to go unrecognized even when that behavior hurts people. Some of the men who do this sort of thing can probably still convince themselves that they're decent people because, hey, I've never even touched anyone! Which means they'll keep doing it over and over again, and their buddies and family members are more likely to shrug it off as Whatshisface being Whatshisface like he's always been. And that's not counting the men who've catcalled, harassed, and acted like creeps with some women but taken it further with others.

No one should feel pressured to share anything they don't want to share (I'm no comfortable talking about my experiences on Facebook, for instance), but the fact that other people may have suffered through worse doesn't mean your own experiences are invalid. Those behaviors are all on the same spectrum and come from the same lack of respect and desire to overpower and degrade.

Wait, what? So an overweight person can't be attractive? Or sexual assault has ANYTHING to do with attraction at all? That's one of the stupidest, most offensive things I've heard.
Even going beyond sexual assault, the stigma against overweight people crops up in surprising ways. Not to change the topic, but I've been 'warned' that it may affect my career, how seriously people take me, etc. Just goes to show you how deeply ingrained the idea of judging a woman entirely off of her physical appearance is. I'm not even that big (or maybe I am and I just kind of stopped caring. PCOS makes me gain weight just by smelling food, lol).

And in the eyes of many, yes, an overweight woman is automatically unattractive. "You'd be so pretty if you lost weight!" is an extremely common thing to hear.

Even going beyond sexual assault, the stigma against overweight people crops up in surprising ways. Not to change the topic, but I've been 'warned' that it may affect my career, how seriously people take me, etc. Just goes to show you how deeply ingrained the idea of judging a woman entirely off of her physical appearance is. I'm not even that big (or maybe I am and I just kind of stopped caring. PCOS makes me gain weight just by smelling food, lol).

And in the eyes of many, yes, an overweight woman is automatically unattractive. "You'd be so pretty if you lost weight!" is an extremely common thing to hear.
stop hanging out with dinguses

I'm overweight. I know I'd be much prettier if I was less fat. It doesn't mean I need people around me to inform me, and if that sort of input is given without me asking for it (hey, sometimes I do) I respond just as negatively as it demands. :shrug:

as if fat people don't know they're fat. ha.

My first year of grad school I took an intervention/prevention class (social sciences) and one intervention suggested by this cute skinny girl was to sit down with fat people and explain why it's bad to be fat, basically.

As the only fat person in the room, that was particularly humorous and also a bit embarrassing.

Sexual assault survival here- please don’t feel like your story isn’t important enough to be told <3 regardless what happened to you, it’s scary and heartbreaking and anxiety inducing. So please don’t try to minimize what happened because you hear our stories. I love youuu!

Similarly, I didn’t post mine. Not because I’m ashamed of it, but mainly because most of my family and friends don’t know, and it’s not something I’m comfortable explaining/ ready to explain to my parents. Maybe one day.

Speaking of rants, I was contacted by my assailant the other day for the first time in nearly over 4 years. I’ve just turned 21, and the incident was 4 1/2 years ago. Do the math, and you’ll understand the very problematic situation.

Had to work through that (again). He said he wanted to apologize and he hoped I didn’t hate him, but NOPE. I decided to block tf out of his number. (After a severe panic attack in the Panera parking lot). He didn’t deserve to know how he destroyed me. But I’ll keep fighting. <3

Sexual assault survival here- please don’t feel like your story isn’t important enough to be told <3 regardless what happened to you, it’s scary and heartbreaking and anxiety inducing. So please don’t try to minimize what happened because you hear our stories. I love youuu!

Similarly, I didn’t post mine. Not because I’m ashamed of it, but mainly because most of my family and friends don’t know, and it’s not something I’m comfortable explaining/ ready to explain to my parents. Maybe one day.

Speaking of rants, I was contacted by my assailant the other day for the first time in nearly over 4 years. I’ve just turned 21, and the incident was 4 1/2 years ago. Do the math, and you’ll understand the very problematic situation.

Had to work through that (again). He said he wanted to apologize and he hoped I didn’t hate him, but NOPE. I decided to block tf out of his number. (After a severe panic attack in the Panera parking lot). He didn’t deserve to know how he destroyed me. But I’ll keep fighting. <3
I LOVE YOU EGGO<3<3<3<3<3

Reactions: 2 users
stop hanging out with dinguses

I'm overweight. I know I'd be much prettier if I was less fat. It doesn't mean I need people around me to inform me, and if that sort of input is given without me asking for it (hey, sometimes I do) I respond just as negatively as it demands. :shrug:

Oh, it isn't friends who have told me my career would suffer.

ETA: Also, really insignificant rant, but why is it so hard for my school to purchase tables/chairs that match up appropriately height-wise? We just redid our library and I'm currently bent in half at this damn table. They knew this was an issue for all of us in one of our classrooms already, you'd think they'd make the effort to eliminate that problem for the new stuff.

Last edited: