RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I joined my friend's blackberry bush removal work party, clearing bushes for 3 hours, and OMG I'm still finding thorns embedded into me.

The only good thing to come of it is now those bushes aren't around to be evil anymore. Take THAT blackberry bushes :cigar:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I joined my friend's blackberry bush removal work party, clearing bushes for 3 hours, and OMG I'm still finding thorns embedded into me.

The only good thing to come of it is now those bushes aren't around to be evil anymore. Take THAT blackberry bushes :cigar:
I have an odd love of removing blackberry bushes. It’s just so satisfying when you get a big patch cleared haha

I have an odd love of removing blackberry bushes. It’s just so satisfying when you get a big patch cleared haha
Yeeahhh. That part was cool too. And looking at the pile of bushes we made. It was taller than everyone else's. Big enough to jump in, but that would be a bad idea. Instead it is big enough for my enemies to jump in.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Blah. It’s been a while.

I’m more than half way done with 3rd year rotations, and will probably have to schedule my 4th year rotations this week (at a 2+2 school). And quite honestly I just don’t want to think about it. I’ve been very overworked the past couple of rotations for seemingly little reward, and I’m feeling a decent amount of burnout. My next break isn’t until February, and my last one was in August.

I need time away from this place soon. It’s been a roller coaster of really enjoying clinics to now just really not enjoying myself and I’m not sure how to take it.

Reactions: 3 users
Blah. It’s been a while.

I’m more than half way done with 3rd year rotations, and will probably have to schedule my 4th year rotations this week (at a 2+2 school). And quite honestly I just don’t want to think about it. I’ve been very overworked the past couple of rotations for seemingly little reward, and I’m feeling a decent amount of burnout. My next break isn’t until February, and my last one was in August.

I need time away from this place soon. It’s been a roller coaster of really enjoying clinics to now just really not enjoying myself and I’m not sure how to take it.
absolute best thing I did for myself was get away from the school on rotations as often as possible. People who did -ology after -ology... I don't know how they did it. I chafed after a month or so in the land of eternal paperwork and criticism.

If you can, even rotations that are technically with the school but at external locations really help...

Blah. It’s been a while.

you got this rocky!!! As a measly first year, it's really hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but you're almost there!!! You got this :) Just take time for yourself and then kick some butt :biglove:

Reactions: 1 user
It's been wonderful being home for a week, but today I have to leave to drive the 3 hours back to reality (school) and write a midterm tomorrow morning. It's harder to leave my hubby, son, and pets every time! And I feel completely unprepared for surgery on Wednesday. Logically I know they've prepared us, and every surgeon and anesthesiologist on faculty will be in the OR with us, but that doesn't calm my emotions about it!

I worded something poorly and it was misconstrued, and someone I care about basically turned on me. She didn't see fit to talk to me about it first, before making it clear through a third party that I'm never to contact her again. No chance to apologize or explain what I was actually trying to say. This hurts!

squeaks...this happens a lot in life. people who you think are friends suddenly turn away, or just disappear, oftentimes over trivial (to you) matters. It hurts, but it does get better.

@Squeaksmom like killerleaf said...this happens all too often and it really does suck. My "best friend" since highschool and maid of honor in my wedding thought that myself and 2 other friends ditched her party this past NYE to hang out without her, when really we just all coincidentally got the flu and had to cancel. She spent January-July of this year ignoring all calls and texts from me but had not told me why- I had no idea she thought myself and a few others conspired against her. People are weird. Sometimes I think it's the universe's way of telling you that you're better off without them. Too much drama.

Reactions: 4 users
So this is a bit of a lighthearted rant so feel free to laugh at me but it didn't feel like it belonged in the rave thread.

Let me start by telling you a little about my commute. I take the train to and from school and it usually takes me 60-90 minutes each way. The way back is always on the upper range of that though because one of my transfers lines up just perfectly so that my first train arrives a minute after my second train leaves. This means I spend 10-15 minutes waiting for the next train. This also happens elsewhere on my route but that's irrelevant to the story.

Well today the second train must have been running late or something because it was pulling into the station at the same time as my first train. My friend and I stood next to the door and prepared to sprint.

As soon as the doors opened, we hit the ground running, literally. Down to the end of the tracks where the crossing was, we crossed in front of the train, and ran up the concrete stairs. The train driver leaned out the window and the security officer stepped out the door to watch us and one other guy behind us run to catch the train. We thanked them profusely and sat down.

But hang on…my toe hurts. Or like not quite hurts but it feels uncomfortable. Like how you might trip and fall and brush yourself off like nothing happened but you still scraped yourself up.

When I got home I examined my second toe and sure enough the nail bed is turning blue. Imagine like a bruise but under your toenail. Also throbbing, and it's ridiculously uncomfortable to walk on, but it doesn't hurt. What I think happened is when I ran up the concrete steps my foot went too far forward on one of them and rammed into the back of the step.

So now I can't walk right because it's supremely uncomfortable.

This is not a rant, which is why I put it in a spoiler. It's actually a really funny semi-related story.

One morning before school started, some kids in my first grade class were playing on a gate. It was one of those with vertical iron bars with a horizontal bar at the top and bottom, so they were standing on it and swinging back and forth. Me being six years old, I thought, That looks like fun. I wanna play too. So I hopped on and started swinging.

Something I neglected to account for was the concrete wall the gate was attached to and which stopped the gate. And also my fun. Because of my poor finger placement. I smashed my finger between the gate and the wall. The injury that resulted was largely the same as my injury today: bruised nail bed, and the nail eventually fell off and grew back.

Now when I was little I was both a huge wimp and a huge crybaby. So I was immediately sent to the nurse's office where they tried to submerge my finger in a Dixie cup of cold water. Which hurt like hell heck (you can't curse in elementary school) so I'd scream whenever they tried. The principal, being one office over, decided to try to console me so she could actually get some work done today. But to me this meant that now we were friends and I had to update her every time I saw her on how my finger was healing. And the manner in which I chose to keep her updated was to prominently hold up my injured finger.

…just the one finger.

And that's the story of how I casually flipped off my elementary school principal multiple times without getting in trouble.

My dearest kitty cat, who was literally my entire adulthood, died months ago and I just can't seem to get over it. I thought I was just a crazy cat lady, but from her passing I realized that the only cat I was really crazy about was her. Like yeah... my house is still a kitty mansion for the remaining cats, but it's just not the same. I appreciate them all for the cats that they are, and I love them as part of our family, but they are just cats. And I doubt I will ever find another kitty best friend like her. Gosh she followed me every minute of every day and went everywhere with me. I'd take her to work and she'd sit at any work station politely staring at me. No cage or leash needed. We shared like 7 addresses together, and as all of my besties from college and worklife prior to vet school, and vet school all moved away to other states, and two serious relationships came and went, and no family nearby, she was the only friend that was always by my side (and I mean literally velcroed onto me and needed to be within a few feet, preferably touching). During my first year of vet school, I had her litter box across from my toilet, and she seriously would trot into the bathroom with me every morning and we'd pee together staring into each other's eyes. Like so ****ing creepy, but I can't imagine doing that with anyone else in the world. If my hubby did that, it just wouldn't feel quite the same. She'd let me do just about anything to her, but if It got too annoying she would bite like pretty viciously because she was a bitch like that, but never hard enough to break skin. I can't even describe the level of communication we had with each other. I think that's what I miss the most. I knew it would be bad when she died, but I didn't think I would continue to be in tears daily over it for months with no end in sight. I thought about seeking therapy for it, but honestly I don't think it would help. Thankfully hubby is a good sport about it. It ****ing sucks

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
from her passing I realized that the only cat I was really crazy about was her. Like yeah... my house is still a kitty mansion for the remaining cats, but it's just not the same
I'm so sorry Minner. I truly hope you are able to work through this grief to find some comfort. Thank you for writing the above. I am experiencing something similar after putting down my favorite cat, and the guilt has been hard to deal with. It's nice to feel like I am not alone in this experience of realizing how much you can truly love one pet.

Your kitty was so lucky to have had you and you were so lucky to have had her. Hugs

My dearest kitty cat, who was literally my entire adulthood, died months ago and I just can't seem to get over it. I thought I was just a crazy cat lady, but from her passing I realized that the only cat I was really crazy about was her. Like yeah... my house is still a kitty mansion for the remaining cats, but it's just not the same. I appreciate them all for the cats that they are, and I love them as part of our family, but they are just cats. And I doubt I will ever find another kitty best friend like her. Gosh she followed me every minute of every day and went everywhere with me. I'd take her to work and she'd sit at any work station politely staring at me. No cage or leash needed. We shared like 7 addresses together, and as all of my besties from college and worklife prior to vet school, and vet school all moved away to other states, and two serious relationships came and went, and no family nearby, she was the only friend that was always by my side (and I mean literally velcroed onto me and needed to be within a few feet, preferably touching). During my first year of vet school, I had her litter box across from my toilet, and she seriously would trot into the bathroom with me every morning and we'd pee together staring into each other's eyes. Like so ****ing creepy, but I can't imagine doing that with anyone else in the world. If my hubby did that, it just wouldn't feel quite the same. She'd let me do just about anything to her, but if It got too annoying she would bite like pretty viciously because she was a bitch like that, but never hard enough to break skin. I can't even describe the level of communication we had with each other. I think that's what I miss the most. I knew it would be bad when she died, but I didn't think I would continue to be in tears daily over it for months with no end in sight. I thought about seeking therapy for it, but honestly I don't think it would help. Thankfully hubby is a good sport about it. It ****ing sucks
@Minnerbelle ...very sorry you lost your feline best friend! :(

Wish I could say something profound that would ease that deep missing-my-cat aching feeling.

( ( ( Minnerbelle and her Sweetest Cat ) ) )

Disclaimer: drunk rant

So my (younger) sister has this friend from HS (she's 23 now) who's SUPER ****ing into her and he is SUCH A MFING ASHHHHOOOOOLLLLLEEEEEEEEEE (when I'm not drunk I can elaborate on all of his asshattery if anyone cares) and my sister and I got into a fight last night (we're all home for thxgiving, and it was literally over stupid sister stuff like she was wearing one of my sweaters to a bar that she grabbed w/o asking and i was like "lol no you're not it's gonna get beer spilled on it" or something, we were over it by morning) and he was here and he decided that it was his fing place to be like "you two need to settle down and get along" so ofc i told him to **** off and stay out of it. he's been into her for YEARS and when my sis was in a serious long-term relationship, he TOOK HER PHONE and TEXTED HER BF and was like "hey this is 'insert doooooshy name here.' i'm hanging out with your GF hahaha" and we keep telling her and she's like "hahaha no he's not [into her]" and now he's over tonight and he's "super offended" by the way i spoke to him last night. in my own house. while i was in a stupid sister fight with my own sister. that he decided to insert himself into. so i told him to **** off again. and i may have also added that my sister would never be into him (for good measure. he is a giant dick face. i am also drunk).
and now i go up to my room and my sister is right across the hall so i peek in to say goodnight and he's apparently sleeping TF over. like not WITH her. she has a friend here for thanksgiving. but he is ****ing shirtless laying on some blankets on the floor of her room and they're like "yeah he's too drunk to drive home so he has to sleep over" and I'm like "...................his car was NEVER HERE. he UBERED here from the beginning!"

and, honestly, what I'm most upset about.... HE LET MY CAT OUTSIDE AND NOW I CAN'T FIND HER!!!!!
And his response to "you seriously let my cat out?!?!??" is "well one time when you weren't home your cat got out and was in the neighbor's yard so I jumped their fence to get her and bring her back"
my response was something akin to...... ":eyebrow::bullcrap::smack::bang:" internally.....:boom::diebanana::lol:

tl;dr: sisters friend is a giant stupid faced turnip

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know the gut-wrenching feeling of losing your soul-cat. Remember that grieving for a pet can be deeper than for a human, though usually the course is shorter. It's perfectly normal to not "get over it"

I have to say I felt the same way about it when my 1 childhood cat died. I thought no one would ever replace her role with that special bond. Fortunately, we have another cat now that filled that role to a certain extent. It's a different relationship, but special in its own right. We will never replace that original cat. she was what got me through middle school. But this new cat is just as important in a different way.

Update:
Found kitty. She was waiting by the door in the morning. Still mad she was out overnight, but super relieved that she was totally fine and was waiting for breakfast like a good kitty.

Sisters friend IS a giant tool. My parents hate him too. There was some more drama last night involving him stirring **** up so he’s not allowed at the house.
The petty in me is extremely pleased with this development.

Reactions: 7 users
Update:
Found kitty. She was waiting by the door in the morning. Still mad she was out overnight, but super relieved that she was totally fine and was waiting for breakfast like a good kitty.

Sisters friend IS a giant tool. My parents hate him too. There was some more drama last night involving him stirring **** up so he’s not allowed at the house.
The petty in me is extremely pleased with this development.
I’m so glad she came back!!!!!!!

Also my petty and salty self is pleased for you about that.

Not a rant but just feeling sad. Apparently, I found out that Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of SpongeBob SquarePants, has passed away recently due to ALS. Stephen Hillenburg, Creator Of 'SpongeBob SquarePants,' Has Died At 57

23odre4rhx021.jpg

I grew up watching SpongeBob so it's really sad news for me.

Found out last night that one of my favorite teachers from high school was grooming and forcing himself on at least one high school girl for the past several years. The girl was a grade below my sister. It could’ve been her. In fact, I’m pretty sure my sister is friends with the girl who was groomed.

He was the kind of teacher everyone loved, admired, and trusted, myself included. Very charismatic and friendly. And the real kicker is that he was a fantastic teacher. I excelled in math because of him and his teaching even helped me in some college classes. He resigned today and is being investigated by law enforcement.

It’s truly a Jekyll & Hyde situation. He’s the last person in the world I would’ve suspected this from. I’m just having a hard time reconciling the person I knew and this horrible, horrible person who deserves all the punishment he gets.

I'm sorry Jboo. The same thing happened in my high school, although I didn't have nearly the connection you did (some of my close friends did and they were stunned). I know it can be hard to reconcile.

Found out last night that one of my favorite teachers from high school was grooming and forcing himself on at least one high school girl for the past several years. The girl was a grade below my sister. It could’ve been her. In fact, I’m pretty sure my sister is friends with the girl who was groomed.

He was the kind of teacher everyone loved, admired, and trusted, myself included. Very charismatic and friendly. And the real kicker is that he was a fantastic teacher. I excelled in math because of him and his teaching even helped me in some college classes. He resigned today and is being investigated by law enforcement.

It’s truly a Jekyll & Hyde situation. He’s the last person in the world I would’ve suspected this from. I’m just having a hard time reconciling the person I knew and this horrible, horrible person who deserves all the punishment he gets.
Oh my god Jboo!!! Literally nearly the exact same thing happened to me!!! He was my favorite teacher (Pre-Calc) and he was my mentor with Science Olympiad! He was my absolute favorite person to hang out with and we kept in touch after school (this guy wrote me a recommendation letter for undergrad!!) and then last year I heart that he was having a relationship with a student (he's still hired because he and the girl never admitted to it because there was supposedly some mutual attraction between the 2 so it wasn't like he was forcing her to do anything but it's still f**ked up!). The freaky part was this was my friend's younger sister, who was his TA at the time, and my sister was in her grade too!!!! It's aggravating because she was a senior...like, you both really couldn't wait 6 months for her to graduate?! I lost complete and utter respect for a man who I truly regarded as being my mentor and friend. I'm so disgusted with him it's unbelievable :( I'm here for you if you want to talk!

Not on the level of a rant. But still kinda sucky: just lost it cause my roommate through out a shower curtain that was gross. The problem wasn't because it was mine; it was my sister's that she bought when she moved out for college in 2013 and I stole when I moved back to NE in 2015.

It's was the most irrational grief reaction I've had yet, and I knew it was stupid. I called my parents to prevent myself from going to the dumpster to dig it out cause I knew it was irrational. It's old as hell, the bottom is torn up, and it's a stupid thing to keep when I've been squirreling away a lot of way more important and sentimental items.

And then: roommate goes and gets it for me cause she put it in a plastic bag before throwing it out. So now it's sitting on my floor and I have to figure out how to sneak it back to the dumpster so she doesnt feel bad. Cause I absolutely cannot keep this thing now. I can't let myself keep trash because I feel everything she touched is important in some way.

@batsenecal grief isn't always rational but it is also never irrational really either. No right/wrong way to grieve and grief hits for the oddest of reasons sometimes. Hang in there and know it isn't irrational to be upset with losing things, even "silly" things that used to belong to that loved one.

I still sometimes question if I shouldn't have kept my grandma's 2002 Pontiac that she gifted me for using in vet school. I sold it before she passed because its upkeep was costing more than the car was worth. I still sometimes think I should've held onto that little part of her for longer.

Not on the level of a rant. But still kinda sucky:

Maybe hang it back up and take a picture? That way you can keep it without having to physically keep it. Don't be hard on yourself - it's not a stupid reaction at all. Hugs, Bats.

Grief is very not rational. I am slowly going thru a dresser that is filled with things that my mom had the last few years of her life--silly things, like a teddy bear that she carried everywhere, and a door decoration. there are 5 drawers, and it has taken me a month to do one. She passed away in 2011....and these things have been in the drawers since then. I have tried many times to sort thru, but each time just shut the drawer. Well, actually, the top two drawers are full of things from my great-grandmother and grandmother on my fathers side....(my grandmother passed away in 2000, and my great-grandmother in 1991) granted, that is all pictures, and costume jewelry...but still. I get started, and can only work a while before starting to bawl. Progress has been slow, to say the least.

Take your time, and don't feel guilty.

shower curtain

Similar to PBC's suggestion, you could cut a square of it that isn't too yucky and keep that. I actually did that with a corner of a shower curtain that my cat chewed on. I put it in her scrapbook, lol. Now I get to keep her bite marks forever, lmao. I saved some of her fur for that, too.

@Elkhart

Hugs hun <3

I saw on fb you started a new job lately. That’s awesome! :)

Have you seen a therapist at all since last year? I think they could be really helpful with helping you sort out your feelings and get closure <3

{{{hugs}}} Elkhart....
in my experience, sometimes you just have to slog thru some uh, bullstuff, to get to where you are supposed to be. it isn't always easy to see the path, and the end result may be so far removed from the first path that it is almost funny. hang in there!

@Elkhart, killerleaf has great point. Keep sticking to the path until you find a turn or divergence you can take that you prefer

I really need to start accepting that even if someone (mostly referring to SO-type people..) isn't always talking to me or paying attention to me, it's not necessarily a reflection on me nor how much they like me. I've been aware of the issue forever, but it still doesn't seem to give me any less of a heart attack every time it happens. I swear I'm going to be 15 years old forever.

I really need to start accepting that even if someone (mostly referring to SO-type people..) isn't always talking to me or paying attention to me, it's not necessarily a reflection on me nor how much they like me. I've been aware of the issue forever, but it still doesn't seem to give me any less of a heart attack every time it happens. I swear I'm going to be 15 years old forever.
Mmm that feel. I feels it all the time. With all the people.

From the other side... I'm super bad about this. I love my partner a scary amount but I'm more than able to go a week+ without talking to him if I'm traveling or sometimes we'll just be doing different things in the same house for a couple days and he has to be like

"Yo
I need attention k?"

And of course then I realize I haven't acknowledged him in 48 hours and try to be better about it for a couple weeks and eventually fall back into baseline because that's just how I work then he reminds me again and we're at about a decade of this now. :laugh:

I do it to family and friends too. I just am a very independent person and kinda do what I do and don't necessarily need other people involved and have trained my close friends to be like, "girl you dead? We haven't seen you in weeks lets get fries!" (I never turn down potatoes).

AKA, my point - a lot of times it's not you, it's them and just how different people are in relationships. It doesn't mean I don't care just I'm not effusive about showing it. The important thing is to work out a way to communicate needs and meet somewhere in the middle comfortably.

Reactions: 12 users
I kind of...vacillate. And I think it is in reaction to the style of the particular person, which kind of sucks because I react in the exact opposite of a helpful way. If I have a friend who tends to be more distant/disappear for long stretches of time, I react by being super clingy (because abandonment issues). If I have a friend who is around a lot and more effusive themselves, I'm so much more comfortable that I'm not being abandoned, my own independent streak kicks in and you might not hear from me for days...weeks...months at a time. I think at baseline I am a more independent person, comfortable with myself, hard to get close to. But if you do get close, the little fear of abandonment monster wakes up, and it's easy for me to switch into "Ah, haven't heard from this person in a day or so, guess they hate me now" mode, even when I know it is ridiculous.

Reactions: 5 users
I kind of...vacillate. And I think it is in reaction to the style of the particular person, which kind of sucks because I react in the exact opposite of a helpful way. If I have a friend who tends to be more distant/disappear for long stretches of time, I react by being super clingy (because abandonment issues). If I have a friend who is around a lot and more effusive themselves, I'm so much more comfortable that I'm not being abandoned, my own independent streak kicks in and you might not hear from me for days...weeks...months at a time. I think at baseline I am a more independent person, comfortable with myself, hard to get close to. But if you do get close, the little fear of abandonment monster wakes up, and it's easy for me to switch into "Ah, haven't heard from this person in a day or so, guess they hate me now" mode, even when I know it is ridiculous.
Oh hi I relate to this too

I know this is nothing new, and you all are going to read this and say oh yeah been there done that naive noob member.

But people say things on this forum, that bother me to my soul and so much of me wants to get in an Internet brawl/debate. But the other part of me is like no, don’t make yourself look crazy on the internet.

Just ugh. Like I’m not a vet school guru or anything, but the things that people ACTIVELY think and feel about things just bothers me.

I know this is nothing new, and you all are going to read this and say oh yeah been there done that naive noob member.

But people say things on this forum, that bother me to my soul and so much of me wants to get in an Internet brawl/debate. But the other part of me is like no, don’t make yourself look crazy on the internet.

Just ugh. Like I’m not a vet school guru or anything, but the things that people ACTIVELY think and feel about things just bothers me.

Vague post is vague. ;)