RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tell me who it was and I’ll message them telling them that you can’t reply to their PM. :shrug:

Okay and then we can also experiment and see if you can actually message them. Science lol. Tysonu8 is username:)

Members don't see this ad.

Were they banned or something?

No i don’t think so? They literally just messaged me about school stuff. Not really posted beyond the class forum a couple times. I’d happily answer questions for them but cannot lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Oo here's MY ferocious pitbull with whom I have extreme issues finding housing

V scary I know

The last one is her viciously attacking me

*poofed pics cuz they were too big*

omg, huge pics, sorry. i'll delete them soon

Attachments

• 20190302_083402.jpeg
    20190302_083402.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 20190228_143846.jpeg
    20190228_143846.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 20190222_142021.jpeg
    20190222_142021.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 20190227_113330.jpeg
    20190227_113330.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

V scary I know

Picture #3 looks like Gail has the same weird loose belly pouch that Tali has. Does her belly wobble when she walks?

Picture #3 looks like Gail has the same weird loose belly pouch that Tali has. Does her belly wobble when she walks?

She has a very minor pouch. It's accentuated because she's hunched over. I don't think there's enough for it to wobble :laugh:

Figure if I can't control my own diet, at least I can control my dog's. this way one of us stays fit!!!!

She has a very minor pouch. It's accentuated because she's hunched over. I don't think there's enough for it to wobble :laugh:

Figure if I can't control my own diet, at least I can control my dog's. this way one of us stays fit!!!!
Tali has had her belly pouch since she was a puppy. She did have some extra weight for a little while, but we got it off! Her belly is just her weird genetics though. :laugh:

V scary I know

View attachment 252667View attachment 252668View attachment 252669View attachment 252670

omg, huge pics, sorry. i'll delete them soon
That makes me so mad. Especially that third picture where she’s like “I’m just a good girl. What did I do???” At least in Philly, it’s just a weight restriction since a lot of places are really just too small to have bigger dogs. Have you looked into renting a house with other people? Houses don’t usually have breed/size restrictions.

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes me so mad. Especially that third picture where she’s like “I’m just a good girl. What did I do???” At least in Philly, it’s just a weight restriction since a lot of places are really just too small to have bigger dogs. Have you looked into renting a house with other people? Houses don’t usually have breed/size restrictions.

They totally do!! At least in my experience. What's nice about Gail is that she is only 40 pounds, so if someplace had a size restriction she's usually okay for it, or they make an exception because the most common restriction I've seen is 35 pounds. We aren't presently looking for a place to live so we're okay for now (I refer to myself and the dog as "we," there is no one else LOL), but I imagine it's something that will come up again in the future.

Feel free to follow her on insta @guiltygail. We haven't updated in a while but probably will soon. :D

Reactions: 1 users
This might be random or whatever but if you can get your vet to put them in as whatever mix and then print something out that says that they're that mix on the clinic stationary that can often be enough "evidence" for apartment complexes. Yeah possibly still risky but breed restrictions are dumb.

I hate when people ask me to do this. If for whatever reason something goes south, that's my license on the line. No thanks.

They totally do!! At least in my experience. What's nice about Gail is that she is only 40 pounds, so if someplace had a size restriction she's usually okay for it, or they make an exception because the most common restriction I've seen is 35 pounds. We aren't presently looking for a place to live so we're okay for now (I refer to myself and the dog as "we," there is no one else LOL), but I imagine it's something that will come up again in the future.

Feel free to follow her on insta @guiltygail. We haven't updated in a while but probably will soon. :D
Wow that’s so stupid. I know some towns pass their own breed specific legislation which is super messed up. And I’ll totally follow her on insta. Never too many social media dogs to follow!

I've been waiting to vent for a while about this so here is goes. Sorry if it is long.

I finally started vet school (yay) but I am away from my son and husband and dog (boo) and it really sucks. My roommates treat me like dirt. I have no idea what I have done to them. I have asked and they say I've done nothing, but go on to completely ignore me whenever I am around or say anything. They are friends with the majority of girls in the class which has resulted in me being shunned by a lot of my classmates. The few friends I have, I feel like I am just annoying them. They never talk to me first. I'm living with some of them next term which may help, but I just feel like no one likes me. Which is strange because I have always had a lot of friends at home and have never felt this way before. It is very lonely. It doesn't help that I did poorly on my anatomy and histology quizzes (I'm more of a concept person) and froze completely during one of my mock clinical exams making me feel like maybe I really don't belong here. I have no idea how to study for those classes and it is killing me.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this. Maybe coming here was a big mistake. I don't know. I just know I am super depressed. I will be reaching out to psych services this week (they are closed on weekends) but in the mean time I am just going to study and cry a lot and be alone because that is what I do now.

Sorry for the long rambling rant. Thank you if you read it. Have a good Sunday.

I've been waiting to vent for a while about this so here is goes. Sorry if it is long.
I'm so sorry you are having a hard time, compounded by missing your baby and husband, ****ty roommates, and the difficulties of school! Just know that you are not alone in feeling like you don't belong either with classmates or in your studies. I believe in you and am sending you long distance hugs

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

I finally started vet school (yay) but I am away from my son and husband and dog (boo) and it really sucks. My roommates treat me like dirt. I have no idea what I have done to them. I have asked and they say I've done nothing, but go on to completely ignore me whenever I am around or say anything. They are friends with the majority of girls in the class which has resulted in me being shunned by a lot of my classmates. The few friends I have, I feel like I am just annoying them. They never talk to me first. I'm living with some of them next term which may help, but I just feel like no one likes me. Which is strange because I have always had a lot of friends at home and have never felt this way before. It is very lonely. It doesn't help that I did poorly on my anatomy and histology quizzes (I'm more of a concept person) and froze completely during one of my mock clinical exams making me feel like maybe I really don't belong here. I have no idea how to study for those classes and it is killing me.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this. Maybe coming here was a big mistake. I don't know. I just know I am super depressed. I will be reaching out to psych services this week (they are closed on weekends) but in the mean time I am just going to study and cry a lot and be alone because that is what I do now.

Sorry for the long rambling rant. Thank you if you read it. Have a good Sunday.

Hey. It gets better. I started developing my best friendships during second semester/through the summer after first year and now I have the best friends I’ve ever had. You made it this far. You DO deserve it. Doubt kills dreams, not failure. A veterinarian is not made in a couple quizzes. You got this.

Edit: Just realized you just started in January. Vet school is a huge adjustment so definitely cut yourself some slack.

Reactions: 10 users
I'm so sorry you are having a hard time, compounded by missing your baby and husband, ****ty roommates, and the difficulties of school! Just know that you are not alone in feeling like you don't belong either with classmates or in your studies. I believe in you and am sending you long distance hugs

Thank you! I appreciate it. The worst part is I was hoping to transfer to MSU after my first year so I could be with my family all the time and they told me they don't take transfer students anymore due to their new curriculum.

Thank you! I appreciate it. The worst part is I was hoping to transfer to MSU after my first year so I could be with my family all the time and they told me they don't take transfer students anymore due to their new curriculum.

I’m sorry that is super hard. But that doesn’t mean you can’t transfer to another school that would still put you closer to fam.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey. It gets better. I started developing my best friendships during second semester/through the summer after first year and now I have the best friends I’ve ever had. You made it this far. You DO deserve it. Doubt kills dreams, not failure. A veterinarian is not made in a couple quizzes. You got this.

Edit: Just realized you just started in January. Vet school is a huge adjustment so definitely cut yourself some slack.
Thank you for the kind words! Yeah I just started and I've been out of school for a while so everything has been hard. Doesn't help I am one of the oldest students in the class so I am very much in a different life point than some of the other students. Makes it hard to make connections.

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah I just started and I've been out of school for a while so everything has been hard. Doesn't help I am one of the oldest students in the class so I am very much in a different life point than some of the other students. Makes it hard to make connections.

I have so much respect for you for doing this. Such a hard thing to do and requires a lot of sacrifice. But you have way more life experience than most people starting vet school and that really is a huge advantage. Take a breath and remember why you wanted this. It’s hard in the thick of it to remember. It really will get better as you settle in with a group of friends and with the material. First semester is a HARD adjustment.

Reactions: 4 users
I feel you. You'll connect with a few people and that will make a difference. I definitely am feeling really good about a group now that I'm in my second semester. Everyone is probably floundering a little bit too so it may not even be that people don't like you, but just so much stress tied to everyone adjusting!

@ArizonaSkye feel free to PM if you want, I did four years of LDR with my husband, 1200 miles from home. I’ve been there (“did I make a huge mistake?”) and it sucks but it worked out fine in the end:) And like @mmmdreamerz said, it took a little while for friendships to settle in. You’re still so new to things, don’t panic yet!

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all your kind words and support. I just need to remember to breathe sometimes.

@ArizonaSkye I feel you. I'm LDR from my husband and son and pets, oldest student at my school last time I checked (not sure if there's a first year who's got me beat, but thinking it's unlikely), and not really close to anyone in my class. Feel free to PM.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not on here much but just wanted to chirp in and say how amazing this community is. It’s so awesome to see everyone supporting each other through tough times even though we don’t personally know each other. It’s empowering and a push that I needed (and meant to be since I’ve not checked for a bit since getting rejected from my IS and couldn’t handle the site for the time). I had to go back and take 4 tough courses and I’m sitting here with absolutely no motivation to study for a test tomorrow. All that’s been going through my mind is wow this was pretty pointless wasting my time and money to go back to school, now what? I’m not that old by any means, but still feel very hopeless after all the rejections and have no idea what to do come May that can help my chances for next cycle. But seeing everyone being so encouraging when someone goes through a rough spell is just the push I needed tonight, so thank you guys and this field for being so supportive of one another. Good luck @ArizonaSkye, you’re a tough mf for doing what you’re doing and I wish you all the best :biglove:

Reactions: 3 users
Really? At the clinic I worked at briefly we were always told to list the dog as whatever breed the owner told us, even if it blatantly wasn't. More of a customer service thing than a legally binding statement of fact. I just can't imagine a vet getting on trouble or even really involved at all. Then again my apartment complex that on paper said no GSD allowed had multiple people with what looked like pure bred German Shepherds living in it so maybe they weren't as strict about it as other places.
I hate when people ask me to do this. If for whatever reason something goes south, that's my license on the line. No thanks.

Really? At the clinic I worked at briefly we were always told to list the dog as whatever breed the owner told us, even if it blatantly wasn't. More of a customer service thing than a legally binding statement of fact. I just can't imagine a vet getting on trouble or even really involved at all. Then again my apartment complex that on paper said no GSD allowed had multiple people with what looked like pure bred German Shepherds living in it so maybe they weren't as strict about it as other places.
I’m also wondering how breed restrictions can be enforced or challenged if the vet records say “lab mix.” What are they going to do, genetic testing? Who’s going to do that? I’m willing to bet that a landlord isn’t going to shell out the money for it in the event that he’s actually wrong and looks like a jerk. And if it’s something like the Royal canin one which goes back to great grandparents, if one great grand parent was a pit bull would that be enough? It just doesn’t make any sense.

The saved breed is what is placed in a rabies certificate or if the pet ever needs a health certificate. If there isn't an accurate description of the pet and it were to come up, yes the vet could be in trouble.

The only time I insist we put "mix" is when people insist their dog is part wolf or coyote ..... 99.9% of them aren't and are just GSD, husky or malamute mixes, but, by law, I can't see wildlife, so if they insist the wolf/coyote be in there, I have to refuse service.

have no idea what to do come May that can help my chances for next cycle.
Make sure you are doing file reviews with every school that will do them. They are the only ones who can tell you exactly what was missing in your application and what can be improved. There might not be too much you can work on for grades at this point if that’s what they want, but if they want varied experience or research it shouldn’t be too late to get more experience over the summer or see if you could get into a lab at school for the summer.

Make sure you are doing file reviews with every school that will do them. They are the only ones who can tell you exactly what was missing in your application and what can be improved. There might not be too much you can work on for grades at this point if that’s what they want, but if they want varied experience or research it shouldn’t be too late to get more experience over the summer or see if you could get into a lab at school for the summer.
I plan to! I don’t know how feasible it is to do research since I’m post bacc at this uni and don’t really have a relationship with any profs and can’t do a file review with my IS until late April which doesn’t leave much time to get with a prof. I do have some, not much, from my bachelors. I thought I had varied experience (work in small, intern with exotics and wildlife, own large and large non vet experience work) so the only thing I can think is large animal vet job? Cause yeah definitely have way too many hours to change my gpa which is definitely subpar, but I did get my associates for tech and graduate with a 3.98 so I showed I can do better, albeit not high level science courses. Calculated together my gpa doesn’t look too bad.

Sorry for the long response that doesn’t belong on this thread but I feel a tad better writing it out and trying to talk myself into feeling better haha. Thank you for the advice!

Oh we list the dog as whatever breed the owner claims (tons of “lab mixes”!) but specifically the idea of writing something additional for the dog like you suggested. I’ve had a couple “temperament evaluation” reports too from a local apartment complex and I won’t sign those either. Or I’ll write something like, “the three times I’ve interacted with this dog for exam/vaccines they did not show aggression toward me/tech” or whatever.

I just found out that one of my references missed the deadline for my home school. The school won’t consider my application now. I feel sick.

I just found out that one of my references missed the deadline for my home school. The school won’t consider my application now. I feel sick.

how are you just finding that out now?! or is this not for vet school

Maybe they're Canadian? Doesn't the application cycle for those schools run later? Either way, it is a sucky situation.
Yes. Canadian here. It was the only Canadian school I could apply to due to the strict residency requirements. I had the two vet references and it was the third non-vet referee who let me down. I didn’t think I was going to even get an interview but it hurts not to know.

Yes. Canadian here. It was the only Canadian school I could apply to due to the strict residency requirements. I had the two vet references and it was the third non-vet referee who let me down. I didn’t think I was going to even get an interview but it hurts not to know.

I'm sorry :( that's terrible.

Oh we list the dog as whatever breed the owner claims (tons of “lab mixes”!) but specifically the idea of writing something additional for the dog like you suggested. I’ve had a couple “temperament evaluation” reports too from a local apartment complex and I won’t sign those either. Or I’ll write something like, “the three times I’ve interacted with this dog for exam/vaccines they did not show aggression toward me/tech” or whatever.
I just meant to tell the vet whatever mix you want and then it shows up on the regular paperwork as that breed, not necessarily having them write something separate specifically claiming that.

I just meant to tell the vet whatever mix you want and then it shows up on the regular paperwork as that breed, not necessarily having them write something separate specifically claiming that.

Ooh, I thought you had said have them write something additional. My bad!

Which school?

WCVM is pretty nice, I know a few people who's reference letters were submitted late.

Edited to add: Just realized it probably isn't WCVM since you said you needed 3 references.

Last year I didn’t apply because I didn’t have the two vet references. This year I was able to apply but it was the non-vet reference that held me back. I could have asked other people too
Which school?

WCVM is pretty nice, I know a few people who's reference letters were submitted late.

Edited to add: Just realized it probably isn't WCVM since you said you needed 3 references.
OVC. I’ve already contacted them and they said no :(

I’m having really bad imposter syndrome. I got lucky in that I was accepted without finishing my bachelor’s (one class short and had some extenuating circumstances so I didn’t finish it since I didn’t need it). I contacted admissions and the head of admissions said it was fine. I filled out my prerequisite check list and everything looked fine. I submitted my paperwork and deposit and everything went through. Now they’re doing the prerequisite audit to just make sure I didn’t somehow lie about having taken the classes I said I took. I have a school ID, set up an account, am part of the private Facebook group, the whole nine yards. For some reason I just have this sinking feeling that I’m going to get an email saying it was all a big mistake. I don’t know why. Obviously they looked at my VMCAS, my supplemental app, my interview notes, my LORs, etc and decided I was worthy of admission. Does anyone else have this feeling? Current students/vets, when the hell does this feeling go away? I’m constantly anxious and stressed about it and no matter how many times I tell myself I’m being ridiculous I just can’t get it to go away.

I’m having really bad imposter syndrome. I got lucky in that I was accepted without finishing my bachelor’s (one class short and had some extenuating circumstances so I didn’t finish it since I didn’t need it). I contacted admissions and the head of admissions said it was fine. I filled out my prerequisite check list and everything looked fine. I submitted my paperwork and deposit and everything went through. Now they’re doing the prerequisite audit to just make sure I didn’t somehow lie about having taken the classes I said I took. I have a school ID, set up an account, am part of the private Facebook group, the whole nine yards. For some reason I just have this sinking feeling that I’m going to get an email saying it was all a big mistake. I don’t know why. Obviously they looked at my VMCAS, my supplemental app, my interview notes, my LORs, etc and decided I was worthy of admission. Does anyone else have this feeling? Current students/vets, when the hell does this feeling go away? I’m constantly anxious and stressed about it and no matter how many times I tell myself I’m being ridiculous I just can’t get it to go away.

A) it's totally normal and lots of people feel this way
B) most say it never goes away that it just dwindles but can be particularly apparent on bad days.

You are going to be a vet. This is not a drill.

Reactions: 11 users

The feeling that they made a mistake has yet to completely go away. But at some point it turned into "welp, too late for them to take it back now so I guess they're stuck with me" which is marginally better? Because at least then you're no longer worried about them sending you a "jk we didnt mean you" email?

Reactions: 8 users
The "this was a mistake, they're going to retract my acceptance/something bad will happen to ruin it" etc. feelings faded once I actually started classes and got in the thick of it (too busy??), but it will probably be replaced by similar yet differently-aimed self-doubts as we continue. I'm almost preemptively nervous for intro to clinics/Jr. surgery etc., but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.