kcoughli

Lab Animal Resident
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Veterinarian
Guys my vet-supervisor person just dumped a project that should take months to do on my lap. My last day on campus is the 17th. My time was fully booked with a million other things to get done before I leave here. This is a project I inherited from the previous post-doc and finished a couple of weeks ago. I was so glad to be done with it, I never wanted to do it in the first place, but I worked on it for over a year and got it done. Except now she wants a third bacteria run in triplicate. 49 filters. I do not have the time, energy, or motivation for this.
:(:cryi::barf::nono:+pissed+:help::boom::dead:

PrincessButterCup

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2014
Guys my vet-supervisor person just dumped a project that should take months to do on my lap. My last day on campus is the 17th. My time was fully booked with a million other things to get done before I leave here. This is a project I inherited from the previous post-doc and finished a couple of weeks ago. I was so glad to be done with it, I never wanted to do it in the first place, but I worked on it for over a year and got it done. Except now she wants a third bacteria run in triplicate. 49 filters. I do not have the time, energy, or motivation for this.
:(:cryi::barf::nono:+pissed+:help::boom::dead:
Is she trying to trap you there forever?

kcoughli

Lab Animal Resident
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Veterinarian
Is she trying to trap you there forever?
No she just doesn't know what she wants to do and is poorly organized and realized that I'm the only one who knows how to do this and I'm leaving so she panicked and wants all the things. Why she couldn't have wanted all the things back in May when we originally decided she didn't want all the things is beyond me...

Reactions: PrincessButterCup

PrincessButterCup

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2014
Hang in there @Elkhart . Is it possible to give yourself some rest and do a few less shifts in the next few weeks? You need to take care of yourself and that work schedule sounds absolutely exhausting. :(

orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Rhode Island
Status
Veterinarian
Holy crap am I about to be broke due to DEA apps for the 4 states I'm going to be working in. Most of it will be reimbursed but still have to front the $$$ first. Unless I am completely misunderstanding everything since my internship handled my initial application.

• Sad
Reactions: PrincessButterCup

nyanko

total trash mammal
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
CoMo
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Holy crap am I about to be broke due to DEA apps for the 4 states I'm going to be working in. Most of it will be reimbursed but still have to front the $$$ first. Unless I am completely misunderstanding everything since my internship handled my initial application.
Which states? The DEA license is one thing but some states have separate things. MO was really confusing. I didn't have to renew my DEA license because I'm under the teaching hospital's, but we do have to apply for a BNDD license for the state itself which is separate.

that redhead

7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2010
I’m technically supposed to have two because I work out of two locations. Yeah, not paying $1500 for DEA alone (plus some state fees) for two places that are like 10 miles apart...

altadama

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Lots of family stuff happening (been a rough 6 months for my family in general), vet school, wedding planning and associated family drama/complications.

Reactions: SkiOtter

sheltermed

5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2013
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I feel ya. I took a $13/hr pay cut with the job I took in MI vs. the one I had in NY. I didn't expect to make nearly as much as I did at my previous job, but I gotta be honest, being paid the same as someone with a HS diploma and no experience (as opposed to my bachelor's degree and several years of experience in the industry; certainly not knocking anyone who doesn't have a degree or anything like that) is a tough pill to swallow. Of course, I also have the knowledge that it's more or less temporary for me, since I hope to go to vet school in a year, provided I get in.

nonetheless, I still think it's important to do a good job in both of our situations, because 1) that's just the type of people we are (hard workers), and 2) you never know where you'll be or try to end up in the future - you may need recommendations from your superiors, you may eventually move up in the organization, etc. be sure to advocate for yourself. I know it's discouraging, but it's better to do your best and feel good about yourself for doing so! you're super resilient and will make it through!

Reactions: Elkhart

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Status
Veterinarian
Agree with ski. We have to be the ones to take charge of what we are worth. It is one of the reasons in my opinion there are pay discrepancies. You can't be afraid to talk about money.

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status
Veterinary Student
@Elkhart, is agree with Ski. This is the time to go to your superiors/HR/whoever and discuss why this is the case. $5 an hour is a lot of money (let alone 10), especially with the overtime you do. Just doing that math on my directly accessible notepad is blowing my mind. You have plenty of evidence to make your case for a raise, or to find a path to being treated equally. This is a good opportunity to take the reigns and get what you're worth.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
@Elkhart, is agree with Ski. This is the time to go to your superiors/HR/whoever and discuss why this is the case. $5 an hour is a lot of money (let alone 10), especially with the overtime you do. Just doing that math on my directly accessible notepad is blowing my mind. You have plenty of evidence to make your case for a raise, or to find a path to being treated equally. This is a good opportunity to take the reigns and get what you're worth.
Someone should not be making DOUBLE per hour if they have the same job as you and have been there an equal amount of time. PLEASE go to HR and try and get the pay you deserve, Sandy.

Reactions: Elkhart

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
I feel ya. I took a $13/hr pay cut with the job I took in MI vs. the one I had in NY. I didn't expect to make nearly as much as I did at my previous job, but I gotta be honest, being paid the same as someone with a HS diploma and no experience (as opposed to my bachelor's degree and several years of experience in the industry; certainly not knocking anyone who doesn't have a degree or anything like that) is a tough pill to swallow. Of course, I also have the knowledge that it's more or less temporary for me, since I hope to go to vet school in a year, provided I get in.
(Unrelated but where in mi are you and what are you doing now that’s a $13/hour pay cut from your NY job? PM me if you don’t want it on thread)

PrincessButterCup

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2014
@Elkhart my sister just went through a similar situation at her job. She has a terminal degree in her field and years of experience, and she was hired on at $6k less than a guy who had only a 4-year degree and no experience. It turned out that everyone was making seemingly arbitrary salaries, and her other female coworker was making even less than she was. The supervisors got upset and tried to blame them for talking about wages and causing the resulting upset, and called talking about wages "unprofessional", but talking about wages is a federally protected right for this very reason. (Her boss is full of **** and she's quitting after this school year, you can't blame your employees for being unhappy with their salaries when you are using gender discrimination and whatever else to decide your pay scale)

So you're not alone in this. My sister is ****ing amazing at what she does and she feels so undervalued where she is. You both deserve to be paid more, especially when coworkers at the same level are paid more.

Talk to your HR. You're already short staffed and working insane overtime, if they refuse to bring your pay even when your coworkers then they don't deserve to keep someone with your work ethic and dedication.

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status
Veterinary Student
A good number of nurses backed me up and many of them said I was the best telemetry/monitor tech on staff
Honestly, from nearly every nurse I know, nurses are not wishy-washy and are very plain spoken. If they don't like you, they tell you, because you make their lives worse. So I think this was a genuine complement from these nurses! You help make their lives and job easier with the good job you do and they appreciate it. The nurses I know talk about having the backs of those sorts of people because it makes the entire system run smoother for everyone.

There's also apparently been a massive issue with turnover in the past more generally. I am hoping to use this as leverage for a possible raise; honestly, if they would simply bump my pay up by $4-$7/hr, then I would have zero qualms with staying long-term.
Absolutely go for this. I wouldn't even stop at $7. If there's someone making $20+ who has been there as long or shorter than you, then you deserve the $20/hour. You sound like their MVP for taking the extra shifts and such.

As for the rest, other people's opinions on what you're doing on your life have zero effect on how you need to do what you need to do. My parents specifically bought a 3 bedroom house when they moved, just in case either Katie or I needed to move home, for whatever reason. **** happens and you owe no one an explanation. If you and your parents have an amicable agreement right now, that's a positive in your life, not a negative. You are not a burden on your parents. The best way you can repay them is to do what you gotta do to get back on your feet, find a path, and take those necessary steps to start again.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Honestly, from nearly every nurse I know, nurses are not wishy-washy and are very plain spoken. If they don't like you, they tell you, because you make their lives worse. So I think this was a genuine complement from these nurses! You help make their lives and job easier with the good job you do and they appreciate it. The nurses I know talk about having the backs of those sorts of people because it makes the entire system run smoother for everyone.

Absolutely go for this. I wouldn't even stop at $7. If there's someone making $20+ who has been there as long or shorter than you, then you deserve the $20/hour. You sound like their MVP for taking the extra shifts and such.

As for the rest, other people's opinions on what you're doing on your life have zero effect on how you need to do what you need to do. My parents specifically bought a 3 bedroom house when they moved, just in case either Katie or I needed to move home, for whatever reason. **** happens and you owe no one an explanation. If you and your parents have an amicable agreement right now, that's a positive in your life, not a negative. You are not a burden on your parents. The best way you can repay them is to do what you gotta do to get back on your feet, find a path, and take those necessary steps to start again.
Seconding all of this, @Elkhart

PrincessButterCup

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2014
I'm 26 and will absolutely still be living with my parents at 27. What's more, I've never moved out. I'm so lucky they're willing to let me stay with them, because the only reason I've made it through school without loans so far is that I don't have to pay rent. I'm a huge proponent of not shaming yourself for accepting help from people who love you and want you to succeed. I also (somewhat foolishly) adopted a dog while I was in undergrad, and it would be really, really difficult to find another situation with as much room and yard space as she's used to now. My mom is usually home during the day to let my dog outside, so although I can usually make it home for lunch, if I need to stay at work I don't have to worry about her being stuck inside. Honestly, I have it pretty sweet right now. I'm really thankful for that.

Don't feel guilty at all for asking for more money. I don't know what oversight led to your hourly pay, but you're too valuable to let them pay you less than you're worth. Own it and don't settle for less.

Last edited:

mmmdreamerz

c/o 2021
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
I did not expect this much of a response, whoa.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, all. I've always been terrified of standing up for myself, especially to superiors, so it's super hard for me to summon the courage to ask for a raise. I've been here for nearly a year.

My boss and HR weren't in since it's a holiday weekend (they'll be around on Wednesday when I next work, though), so I mentioned something both to my charge nurse and the house supervisor. It was... kind of hard not to? Ha. I sat and cried at my desk for a good hour or so because this felt like a kick to the gut and yet another way in which I just am not worth anything to anyone, but they came by and asked what was wrong. I was candid with them and they were shocked to hear about how little I make given the importance of the work. A good number of nurses backed me up and many of them said I was the best telemetry/monitor tech on staff (probably an exaggeration just meant to make me feel better, but you know.... it's something...) and that my pay is BS. So. I don't know. I'm glad that I told a few people and I'm hoping that word spreads to those who can actually do something about it. I'd imagine that my boss will likely be in contact with me soon, anyway, as I've emailed her about multiple potential patient safety concerns I have about some of our processes.

Here's the thing. As I've mentioned, I've been looking to make a career change but I 1) am scared ****less of commitment to anything after vet school because of how badly that turned out and 2) really do love the people I work with and the general environment. I love my work, though it certainly takes a certain type of person to not go crazy with all of the constant alarming and visual stimulation for twelve hours at a time. @PrincessButterCup, you are absolutely right that we are crazy understaffed. There are only four of us: two day techs and two night techs, and the other day tech only works 2-3 days per week, leaving me to cover the rest through overtime. We've been trying to hire more, but they either ghost for the interview or leave in the middle of training. There's also apparently been a massive issue with turnover in the past more generally. I am hoping to use this as leverage for a possible raise; honestly, if they would simply bump my pay up by $4-$7/hr, then I would have zero qualms with staying long-term. I could actually probably afford a place to live on that. That's all I want. I am so sick and tired of feeling like I'm constantly burdening my parents. I hate that I had to move back in, and it's embarrassing to have to admit that I'm still living with them at 27. I explain everything that happened to me but since they don't generally know anything about vet school and how difficult and emotionally crushing it can be and how much it costs, people don't really get it. You know.

Anyway. Yeah, I've brought it up to a few people who seem to be willing to go to bat for me. Which is awesome. Just makes me want to stick around here even more, but I need to also be paid a wage sufficient for... you know... living. And it just feels grossly unfair that I'm being paid significantly (at least in relation to my current pay) less than the other techs.
I have a house at school, but I’m about 3 hrs from my parents and am not shy about going home at times lol. I’m actually home for Labor Day weekend and my dad just came downstairs and asked if I wanted pancakes lolol. When I go home, I load up my cats and my dog and they offer (almost) no complaint. Parents love their kids and want them too succeed and I’m sure your are just happy to be able to help you when you need it.

I’ve been around SDN for a bit, so I’ve seen you come SO FAR and survive a lot in the process. Don’t underestimate that. I admire you a lot. Go demand what you’re worth!

Teepster87

MSU c/o 2020
5+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2013
The Mitten
Status
Veterinary Student
Elkhart, it's probably just reiterating what everyone has already said, but don't feel bad about asking for more pay/benefits from your employer. They aren't feeling bad about paying you less than your coworkers. Check out indeed, LinkedIn, maybe even bureau of labor and statistics data. Find out how much people in your field are making locally, and nationally and gauge based on that. And freshen up your resume, and start looking at other hospitals/ healthcare networks (don't know the total set up of the market in your area). You're not just a fresh out of school hire anymore. Youve got a hard year full of OT, and accomplishments to back yourself up when you're making salary requests.

Get what's yours!

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
@Elkhart at my job where I worked before leaving for school, after I had been there for some number of months my boss told me she was bumping my pay up by $1/hr but any future pay raise I would have to ask for. I ended up only asking for one but it was a bigger jump and was very comfortable for me. She is a big proponent of women in business and valuing yourself for what you're worth. If you undervalue yourself, you'll get taken advantage of.

A male friend of mine once asked for a raise from, I think either $17-$19/hr to $22 an hour and got it because he had done research and found that someone with his job and experience would be making that. His boss gave it to him and the response from my friend was that meant he should've asked for more.

So you shouldn't be afraid to ask for it, because they'll pay you less if they can get away with it.

Edit:

Skimble

With Beans
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2014
Pennsylvania
Status
Veterinarian
I'm 26 and will absolutely still be living with my parents at 27. What's more, I've never moved out. I'm so lucky they're willing to let me stay with them, because the only reason I've made it through school without loans so far is that I don't have to pay rent. I'm a huge proponent of not shaming yourself for accepting help from people who love you and want you to succeed. I also (somewhat foolishly) adopted a dog while I was in undergrad, and it would be really, really difficult to find another situation with as much room and yard space as she's used to now. My mom is usually home during the day to let my dog outside, so although I can usually make it home for lunch, if I need to stay at work I don't have to worry about her being stuck inside. Honestly, I have it pretty sweet right now. I'm really thankful for that.

Don't feel guilty at all for asking for more money. I don't know what oversight led to your hourly pay, but you're too valuable to let them pay you less than you're worth. Own it and don't settle for less.
I’m a fair bit older, and I’ve never moved out of my parent’s house, though there were multiple extenuating circumstances. I’m fortunate to have had that support, and I’m planning to move out within the next year.

altadama

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Small wedding ceremony at a local park/horse farm followed by a casual backyard reception for <50 people has somehow morphed into 100 people, a venue/catering/whole 3-ring circus ordeal I wanted to avoid. My mom and future MIL are meeting for lunch Friday and making plans to go visit venues next week without me or my fiancé...and now I am woefully behind on schoolwork because I spent the last two days responding to texts and phone calls from my mom about venues AND I now need to go home for the weekend/lose study time to discuss this in person/try to rein in the crazy train. Between trying to get back into the study groove and dealing with this newly formed unholy alliance between my mom and future MIL, I am going to have a stroke.

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
Status
Veterinary Student
Small wedding ceremony at a local park/horse farm followed by a casual backyard reception for <50 people has somehow morphed into 100 people, a venue/catering/whole 3-ring circus ordeal I wanted to avoid. My mom and future MIL are meeting for lunch Friday and making plans to go visit venues next week without me or my fiancé...and now I am woefully behind on schoolwork because I spent the last two days responding to texts and phone calls from my mom about venues AND I now need to go home for the weekend/lose study time to discuss this in person/try to rein in the crazy train. Between trying to get back into the study groove and dealing with this newly formed unholy alliance between my mom and future MIL, I am going to have a stroke.
rough. I have no words of wisdom, but seriously good luck. Also planning my wedding but putting the Mil and everyone in place was a job over the summer. I have faith in you! Sit down with your fiance and talk things out and then each talk to your respective people is my only guidance I have to possibly offer.

that redhead

7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2010
@altadama When I got married, it was not exactly what I had envisioned. It was a beautiful wedding and I don’t look back on the day with regret, but if I had it to do over I’d likely do something different, or heavily tweaked at least.

My parents paid for our wedding though, and out of respect for that we made compromises. I think either way, if it’s spiraling away from anything you like or want, put your foot down hard. Like, “I understand you and MIL are really excited about the wedding, but it feels like it’s become less of what I want and more of what you guys want.” Better to do this early (now) before deposits are put down, etc. Good luck, I know it’s tough!

altadama

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
rough. I have no words of wisdom, but seriously good luck. Also planning my wedding but putting the Mil and everyone in place was a job over the summer. I have faith in you! Sit down with your fiance and talk things out and then each talk to your respective people is my only guidance I have to possibly offer.
@altadama When I got married, it was not exactly what I had envisioned. It was a beautiful wedding and I don’t look back on the day with regret, but if I had it to do over I’d likely do something different, or heavily tweaked at least.

My parents paid for our wedding though, and out of respect for that we made compromises. I think either way, if it’s spiraling away from anything you like or want, put your foot down hard. Like, “I understand you and MIL are really excited about the wedding, but it feels like it’s become less of what I want and more of what you guys want.” Better to do this early (now) before deposits are put down, etc. Good luck, I know it’s tough!
Thanks for the advice. :) I'm going to try and talk to them both in person this weekend and hopefully we can come up with something acceptable to everyone. Honestly would rather elope but think my parents might be pretty disappointed...I just generally hate being the center of attention, fancy functions, and large groups of people which makes it really hard for me to get into the whole big wedding thing. Haha Also have to deal with my sister being awful and toxic about the whole thing, yet my parents insist that I try to involve her because she's my sister. Honestly, just staying engaged forever doesn't seem like a bad option....

Reactions: that redhead

Trilt

puppy snuggler extraordinaire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
yo i did not grow up around farm animals and nobody told me about straw itch mites and i helped move around several piles of straw last night to clean up after my dog training club's barn hunt trial and now i am in crazy itchy awful mite bite hell
just touching hay does this to me, too. equine was not a fun rotation...

Reactions: Teepster87

capri1722

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pharmacy Student
My best friend from high school moved across the country but she's coming to visit next weekend. So our whole cohort is trying to figure out when we can all hang out and it's basically going like this:

PippyPony

not a wolf
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2013
dead chat
Status
Veterinary Student
yo i did not grow up around farm animals and nobody told me about straw itch mites and i helped move around several piles of straw last night to clean up after my dog training club's barn hunt trial and now i am in crazy itchy awful mite bite hell
Key takeaway = be less nice

mmmdreamerz

c/o 2021
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
Following up on my pay issue... it's been more or less resolved.

My boss called me into her office today. Apparently I was supposed to get a merit raise in June but for whatever reason it didn't go through. She told me that it was the highest merit raise for a single year that she'd ever seen for any of her staff (12%), so it bumped my hourly salary up by a couple of dollars all on its own; additionally, she set the date of affect for that raise back in June so that I'll get a huge lump sum of three months worth of backpay on an upcoming check. She also said that she would talk to some people and advocate for me to get a little bit more. This will help so, so, so much.

THANK YOU to everyone for your advice and encouragement. I was afraid of confronting her about this generally taboo topic and coming off as whiny but you all assuaged my fears and gave me the confidence to try. :)
You go girl!

finnickthedog

Michigan State c/o 2021
2+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2014
snuggling with vmh
Status
Veterinary Student
When you want to apply for a scholarship that doesn't accept applications from individual students but your school tells you they don't get information about that scholarship. Oh, okay then. Guess I'll just never apply for it. Who needs money anyways.

johnnaboo

wine lover
2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Well yesterday may be the new winner of the worst day of my life thus far. Found out that my gramma, who was in remission, now has chemo-resistant terminal cancer. Thank goodness I now am way closer to home because of the transfer. Already planning to go home at the end of the month to help with planning, cleaning, and spending time with family.

Cancer ****ing sucks.

vetmedhead

I hope my heart goes first!
2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Your signature looks like the url got deleted or something
The image is probably still stored in your browser's cache.

It's broken for me, too. Looks like tinypic is shutting down, so might want to move it to a new host. Imgur
we back now thank you for telling me :rofl:
I had originally tried to use imgur but it didn't like the url when I tried to put it on my signature so I switched to tinypic :(

Reactions: vetmedhead

StartingoverVet

Flight Instructor for hire
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2010
Neither here nor there.
Status
Non-Student
Man, I have a defective dog, is there any organ system that is not messed up in him? I don’t know how he has lasted 12 years so far (typical lifespan of an IG is 13-15 yrs)....a testament to modern veterinary medicine I suppose...every person here should wish to have a Client drop as much money on their dog as I have.(don’t ask for his medicine list....not enough room on SDN’s server)

His medical history:
History of ulnar/radial fractures (3)
Skin allergies
Paraphimosis
Alopecia
Idiopathic seizures
IBD + food allergies
Cholecystitis
Glaucoma => enucleation
Disc disease
Highly Elevated liver values of unknown origin (liver function is still normal)
Torturous bile duct
Arthritis (and other orthopedic issues)

And now he has mitral valve disease.

Next time I go to vet it will be easier to list what is working normally than the other way around. He has good teeth which is unusual for his breed, :)

cdoconn

obsessed with the plague
2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Big 'ol rant: all that shiz going on in Georgia right now with the human surgeons and shelter animals. And then all the news stations that are covering it like they're some miracle angels. :uhno: