RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to let everyone know I deleted the screenshots. I apologize if I offended anyone. Sometimes I’m in a petty mood and need to get it out of my system so thanks everyone for putting up with me when I’m in a ranting mood. :pNo clients have irritated me yet today but it’s still early;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You know what I hate? Online TV services that play ads any time you try to fast forward. TLC does this. I’m just trying to find where I left off watching my garbage TV show of choice, and so I’m fast forwarding 15 or 20 minutes at a time. There are little dots that tell you when ads will play. But instead, it just plays ads every time I fast forward, so to find out if I went far enough ahead I have to sit through 5 minutes of ads. I started trying to watch an episode at 12:00. It’s now almost 12:30 and I still haven’t found where I left off because of the ads.

Reactions: 6 users
Omg yeah dudes when I said I wanted screenshots I totally meant I wanted someone to send them to me on FB. I’m sooooo sorry I never wanted them to be posted here I should have specified that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I pulled a CBC on a sick puppy today and he has 310 whole neutrophils, 180 whole lymphocytes, and 10 monocytes. Major oof.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
I pulled a CBC on a sick puppy today and he has 310 whole neutrophils, 180 whole lymphocytes, and 10 monocytes. Major oof.

I remember looking at a smear on a sick kitten in vet school. There were no white blood cells i could find on the slide. Panleukopenia is aptly named.

I remember looking at a smear on a sick kitten in vet school. There were no white blood cells i could find on the slide. Panleukopenia is aptly named.

One of my biggest peeves is that penleukopenia is called "feline distemper"... it is a parvo virus. It acts like parvo, does similar **** in the cat as canine parvo virus. It doesn't behave at all like distemper. Drives me batty.... I will forever call it feline parvo because that's what it is.

Reactions: 8 users
One of my biggest peeves is that penleukopenia is called "feline distemper"... it is a parvo virus. It acts like parvo, does similar **** in the cat as canine parvo virus. It doesn't behave at all like distemper. Drives me batty.... I will forever call it feline parvo because that's what it is.

Thank you! I got every question with "feline distemper" wrong because it doesnt look like distemper!

I have at this point forgotten that it's even referred to that way :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We call it feline parvo here... Who says that?

I think most people refer to the actual virus/disease as panleuk.

but

very commonly the panleuk vaccine is referred to as “distemper” shot... partly because the parvo combo vaccine in dogs is “the distemper shot.” You know, so core vaccines are rabies and distemper shots. Same schedule.

it drives me batty. But that’s like how all the clients and other clinics call it, so I just go along with it.

but

very commonly the panleuk vaccine is referred to as “distemper” shot... partly because the parvo combo vaccine in dogs is “the distemper shot.” You know, so core vaccines are rabies and distemper shots. Same schedule.

it drives me batty. But that’s like how all the clients and other clinics call it, so I just go along with it.
Oh that makes sense. I mean yeah we call it panleuk lol I just meant we compare it to parvo than distemper :laugh:

but

I was so confused by this a pre-vet shadow. Never remembered at an opportune time to ask why they did that. But god, it made no sense to me.

Someone just drove a semi truck into a peaceful protest. On a highway that had been closed (for that SCHEDULED protest) for almost an hour.

I'm sickened by what's happening here.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 19 users
This community saddens me, and I don't know how to personally "fix" it and make it the lively and loving and engaging place it used to be. I don't know if that's in my power.

• Sad
Today/this week, I feel really sad to be living in a country where skin color is a barrier to life, and I wish there was something more I could do for my friends who are not white beyond saying that this sucks right now.

Reactions: 21 users
To my black colleagues and aspiring veterinarians, I see you, I hear you, and I stand with you. I’m sorry your lives continue to be at risk every day, and that history keeps repeating itself. Black lives matter.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
My mother in law is coming up on Friday. Two days from now. To stay until Tuesday. She informed us of this tonight. I’m so freaking irritated. Like who the eff thinks dropping in on people with twin four month olds is acceptable in any way?! Gahhhhhh:boom:

• Wow
  • Sad
My mother in law is coming up on Friday. Two days from now. To stay until Tuesday. She informed us of this tonight. I’m so freaking irritated. Like who the eff thinks dropping in on people with twin four month olds is acceptable in any way?! Gahhhhhh:boom:

Book her a room at the nearest hotel :laugh:

Omg I didn’t know you had twins! Holy crap that’s a lot of work.

Tell your in laws that you’re still shedding covid and you don’t want them to die.

• Haha
This is more a rave but in response to my previous rant...my horse and I are settling in. Went for a hack today. Just kinda taking things as they come and my horse likes her new home.

Attachments

• 35FCF93A-C55E-4D12-B7DC-06688DA2A9AC.jpeg
    35FCF93A-C55E-4D12-B7DC-06688DA2A9AC.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Love

Hehe. I'm always glad when my parvo or non-specific viral gastroenteritis cases hit that point. Means I know they've hit the bottom and now it's do or die. I know we're coming out of the 'wondering how it will do' period one way or the other.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm ready to abolish phones. Thinking about getting myself a bubble, so I can just talk to owners that way. Roll on out, have a chat, bounce back in to the clinic.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
My mother in law is coming up on Friday. Two days from now. To stay until Tuesday. She informed us of this tonight. I’m so freaking irritated. Like who the eff thinks dropping in on people with twin four month olds is acceptable in any way?! Gahhhhhh
Book her a room at the nearest hotel :laugh:
** Book yourself a room at the nearest hotel. MIL can take a shift with the twins and you can get some well-earned you-time.

Reactions: 14 users
Today I got accused of stealing a credit card from a client. Had to play the cameras back to prove I didn’t. Had to threaten escalating to law enforcement involvement for client to convienently find card in the console. So that was a new one.

Had an appointment drive off because she had to wait 20 minutes while we were dealing with this nut and an emergency arrived at the same time. Not to mention I feel like I have 0 time for client education and I can’t explain things as well as I feel like I could bring face to face so I’ve just started using handouts for a lot of things.

This curbside mess is for the birds. Too bad it’s never going to end because the second wave has arrived :dead:

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Yeah, sorry MIL...but you will have to self-quarantine for 14 days until you can see the children. Mask will be worn at all times.

Buying an acreage is stressful ya'll. Trying to get everything planned out... when we're moving, how we're moving, getting fence put up for the horses, moving in the horses, building a barn, building a hay storage shed, finding hay FOR the hay storage shed, moving all my horse junk to the new property, etc etc. Have so many plans at this point but we don't take possession until July 15th, and I just want to get started! Especially since I start my residency on Aug 15th... so I have a month to get settled in, get all this stuff done, and I'll be by myself because my partner still has a job in original city until the end of August. Is it July yet??? :confused:

I just really miss the white bagel pieces in Chex mix and they’ve been gone for 11 years. Why they gotta remove one of the best parts
Homemade Chex mix is the way to go. That way you can customize it. I use fewer pretzels, add in the bagel chips, and double or triple the amount of spices. It takes about an hour to dry it back out in the oven but it’s so worth it. I make it as a holiday treat every winter.

Reactions: 4 users
Today/this week, I feel really sad to be living in a country where skin color is a barrier to life, and I wish there was something more I could do for my friends who are not white beyond saying that this sucks right now.
Same here. I would be out protesting if it weren’t for corona.

Only posting on social media seems disingenuous to me. And I’m broke and in debt. So I’ve been watching documentaries and am planning on reading a bit to really understand things more.

*bangs hands on tables in unison* Recipe! Recipe! Recipe!

:p

Our clients (well, not mine anymore, but when I was GP) would make this homemade Chex Mix with like, some sort of ranch dressing packet or something like that? It was so good. I tried to find something similar but I was never sure what it was. I miss it!

• Love

Only posting on social media seems disingenuous to me. And I’m broke and in debt. So I’ve been watching documentaries and am planning on reading a bit to really understand things more.

I think this is great. You are positively contributing the best you can and you should be proud of yourself! I'm proud of you!

I saw something on Facebook that said we can't change society until more Americans change their hearts. If more white Americans took the time to educate themselves like you are, think of how much we could change.

*bangs hands on tables in unison* Recipe! Recipe! Recipe!

:p
My family has always just used the orignal chex mix recipe. Like, we have a cut out from my grandma that is five thousand years old that we pull out every December :laugh:

Homemade chex mix is seriously the best.

Yeah I just use the recipe on the Chex cereal box or their website as a general guide but tweak it because my family likes it more spicy. 3 cups corn Chex, 3 cups wheat Chex, 3 cups rice Chex, some pretzels, some bagel chips, some mixed nuts, and maybe even throw in some Cheezits or Goldfish. Then put 1.5-2x the amount of melted butter and worchesershire sauce (can’t spell that haha), and double or triple the amount of garlic powder, onion powder, and seasoned salt the original Chex recipe calls for. Then mix it all together. You can then microwave it in small bursts but I think it’s more apt to burn that way and I prefer to put it in big roasting pans in the oven at 200-250 degrees for an hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Then proceed to eat your weight in Chex mix.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Yeah I just use the recipe on the Chex cereal box or their website as a general guide but tweak it because my family likes it more spicy. 3 cups corn Chex, 3 cups wheat Chex, 3 cups rice Chex, some pretzels, some bagel chips, some mixed nuts, and maybe even throw in some Cheezits or Goldfish. Then put 1.5-2x the amount of melted butter and worchesershire sauce (can’t spell that haha), and double or triple the amount of garlic powder, onion powder, and seasoned salt the original Chex recipe calls for. Then mix it all together. You can then microwave it in small bursts but I think it’s more apt to burn that way and I prefer to put it in big roasting pans in the oven at 200-250 degrees for an hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Then proceed to eat your weight in Chex mix.

Thank you so much! :)

You know where you can make the biggest difference? It’s actually just being an ally in your everyday life.

Step in when you encounter the offensive bigot. Yeah, that uncle at your cookout. You may think it’s a lost cause, and why cause a ruckus? You’re just going to make people uncomfortable and you’re going to piss people off. Even the stranger in public. Don’t let their **** slide. Yeah, it’ll cause them to turn red and yell and become even more deranged. But as a white person, that’s probably the worst that will happen to you. If someone doesn’t step in, and all the white people around them let these things slide, you’re complicit and legitimizing their overt racism. It is unsafe for POC to insert themselves here. And they’re tired of being exposed to it day in and day out. They need white allies to step up.

And even with the “good” people around you who would be horrified to wrong POC, probably including yourself, know they can be hurtful. When it happens, how you deal with the conversation is huge. There is a reason why POC just don’t bother even entering a lot of these conversations.

Think about all the discussions where race gets brought up, and what follows. When someone brings up that something someone said is racially insensitive or racist, what happens? Super predictable.

“Oh you know she didn’t mean it that way”

The person getting offended because they feel they’re being labeled racist “which they absolutely aren’t, how dare you accuse them with such a vile insult”

And then all the excuses and justification for why what was said wasn’t meant to be racist, etc...

And then this interrogation about why you think it’s racist, and what evidence do you have that there was racial motivation behind it.

It almost always ends up being about the white person, and never about the racist comment and how it’s racist and hurtful. And this progression of discourse is even more hurtful and frankly, exhausting. Just a mental note that “yup, these self proclaimed allies are really just in it for themselves. Do not engage in the future.” Think about it from the POC perspective. All they care about in that moment is that the person stops saying racist ****. They literally give two ****s about how much of a nonracist ally you think you are.

It should be an apology, then a resolve to learn and be better. The end.

Intent doesn’t matter. So don’t try to explain away. If you don’t get why what you said was hurtful, go and look it up. Ask another white person who gets it to explain it to you. You can politely ask POC in a nonaccusatory manner, but know it’s not their job to educate you.

Do that yourself. And if you see others falling into this trap, be the ally that takes over and explain it to the fragile white person. Even if they don’t get it. Take on that emotional labor.

Yup. It sure is harder than going to a protest or donating money, or posting on social media. But that’s what it means to be a true ally.

Last edited:
  • Love

Educating yourself is important too. And then you can pass what you learn on to others. Social media is a good way to do this - there is so much misinformation out there, I think it is actually 100% valid to try to combat it even just a little bit with good info from reputable sources. And use what you learn to change your every day behaviors, and encourage change in your friends and family members. Bottom line is, you don't absolutely have to join a protest to make a difference :)

Why does it take me six weeks of calorie counting to lose 8 lb and only 4 days of "not worrying about the numbers" to gain back 5 lb?? How does this math work? Ugh

Sent from my phone using the mobile app because I bought it and I'm stubborn

• Love