RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is going to sound random, but as I read this I heard an old ad in my head...

"Breast augmentation, tummy tuck, liposuction, eye or nose surgery"

I hate that this commercial is apparently so well stored in my brain somewhere that I read the word liposuction and it automatically plays. Though I can't remember the name of the doctor it was for... Michael something or other?
dr. michael freedland?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Having to work Friday and Saturday while your friends and boyfriend go camping 5 hours away for the long weekend sucks. Wish they hadn't gone so far away so I could have joined them for part of the weekend instead of being home alone

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I have officially accepted a job at another vet hospital that's 1/3rd the commute with way better management and I am putting in my two weeks' notice. I'm out of here!!

I only realized just how toxic my current environment is when I spent a day doing a working interview at the new place and was actually having subconscious anxiety about being able to stand around and talk to future coworkers for a few minutes here and there. My mind tells me I'm about to get yelled at and I'm doing something seriously wrong if I think I have down time. Going to take some adjustment to realize that is okay now.

It also blew my mind when I glanced at the quite open (to my standards) schedule then heard the receptionist say on the phone "No, I'm so sorry, we're just too busy today, but I can schedule you for another time." And when a tech told me their doctors are almost always ready for their appointment the minute it comes through the door. And when a tech said "the owner wants x but I told her we can't do that" and the doctor agreed instead of getting upset with the tech and doing whatever the owner wants.

I knew this was the right place to switch to when the vets, receptionists, and techs actually seemed enthusiastic about their jobs. Who knew that was a thing?! :hilarious:

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 21 users
I have officially accepted a job at another vet hospital that's 1/3rd the commute with way better management and I am putting in my two weeks' notice. I'm out of here!!

I only realized just how toxic my current environment is when I spent a day doing a working interview at the new place and was actually having subconscious anxiety about being able to stand around and talk to future coworkers for a few minutes here and there. My mind tells me I'm about to get yelled at and I'm doing something seriously wrong if I think I have down time. Going to take some adjustment to realize that is okay now.

It also blew my mind when I glanced at the quite open (to my standards) schedule then heard the receptionist say on the phone "No, I'm so sorry, we're just too busy today, but I can schedule you for another time." And when a tech told me their doctors are almost always ready for their appointment the minute it comes through the door. And when a tech said "the owner wants x but I told her we can't do that" and the doctor agreed instead of getting upset with the tech and doing whatever the owner wants.

I knew this was the right place to switch to when the vets, receptionists, and techs actually seemed enthusiastic about their jobs. Who knew that was a thing?! :hilarious:

I just read your other post about your current workplace and let me just tell you that was me until a couple months ago. Like everything you mentioned hit home. After months of being miserable I finally got up the courage to put in my two weeks and it felt so freeing. My partner commented just days later that I seemed so much happier. This is gonna be such an awesome change for you and I am so happy you found a new place!

• Care
does anyone else experience classmates collectively complaining about classes being too hard and then having your class/exams get watered down?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's 50/50. Student feedback is definitely not a bad thing and courses should always be adjusting at least a little over time to best deliver content in a useful way to students. However I know what you're talking about with excessive complaining about things that in the grand scheme aren't that terrible or ended up being really useful in retrospect despite being horrible at the time.

However here our professors mostly have leeway for structuring their classes/responding to feedback unless it becomes clear that students overwhelmingly don't have a grasp of the material (usually determined from how the upperclassmen do on it in clinics etc). We have had some professors double down on how challenging their course is when they received negative feedback.

I will also add that in my experience the degree of complaining dies down a lot the farther you get into school. I'm not sure if students just adapt better to the course load/expectations, the course load gets way less overwhelming (because phys and anatomy are beasts and you've had time to get more uses to the pace/volume of vet school), or students just care less because previous feedback wasn't really acknowledged and they just focus on getting through it at that point.

I will also add that in my experience the degree of complaining dies down a lot the farther you get into school. I'm not sure if students just adapt better to the course load/expectations, the course load gets way less stressful (because phys and anatomy are beasts), or students just care less because previous feedback wasn't really acknowledged and they just focus on getting through it at that point.

I hope this is the case!!! thanks for the input, really helpful

idk how much detail I should give, but...if enough people complain at my school, admin, like, caters to it (in both bad and good ways..but mostly bad ways)

Admin sure doesn't cater to my class just because we complain.

But as ski pointed out if exams are an example of what you're talking about... the professors are the ones who write those and they're all different.

We had an exam once where the question was written wrong such that none of the answers were correct. People had already left when this was discovered. Question was not thrown out because those people should have known it was wrong and asked. I know you don't have exactly the same professors we did and that your curriculum is different but I would not expect that them catering to complaints (unless said complaints were reasonable) to be a trend.

I will also add that in my experience the degree of complaining dies down a lot the farther you get into school. I'm not sure if students just adapt better to the course load/expectations, the course load gets way less overwhelming (because phys and anatomy are beasts and you've had time to get more uses to the pace/volume of vet school), or students just care less because previous feedback wasn't really acknowledged and they just focus on getting through it at that point.
It's the gradual progress of soul crushing that eventually leads to complete apathy :p

Reactions: 8 users
Admin sure doesn't cater to my class just because we complain.

But as ski pointed out if exams are an example of what you're talking about... the professors are the ones who write those and they're all different.

We had an exam once where the question was written wrong such that none of the answers were correct. People had already left when this was discovered. Question was not thrown out because those people should have known it was wrong and asked. I know you don't have exactly the same professors we did and that your curriculum is different but I would not expect that them catering to complaints (unless said complaints were reasonable) to be a trend.
Oh dude I remember you telling me about that ****ty question

Now that I've got my foot out the door, I'm noticing problems more but also caring much less about them.

My conversation with my boss's friend (at exactly 7:58pm, we close at 8pm, and her appointment was at 11am):
"Hi, I'm calling to pay for my appointment."
"Okay, great. Is this for __?"
"Yes. Can you tell me everything on my bill?"
"Sure. A, b, c, d, e."
"Why are d and e on there? I paid for those three weeks ago."
"Okay, let me double check that." *double checking invoice history* "No, you didn't pay for those two items so they rolled over to today's bill."
"Well, you need to take that off because that's not right. I know I paid for that."
"I don't have the authority to remove charges from your bill if you've already taken home and used the medication."
"I'm getting really frustrated! You need to understand that Dr X is a really good friend of mine and I'm a very good client. I'm sitting here really late at 8 at night trying to pay my stupid bill and now I can't. Do you understand? You need to fix this. I am not paying that bill with those charges on it."
"I'll email you a copy of your invoice. If you have a problem, you can discuss with Dr X tomorrow when she's in the office. Bye!"

Somehow it was our fault that she never paid her last bill and called right at closing to check out for an appointment that occurred hours before. Of course, like everyone, she played the "I'm friends with the Dr so I can get away with murder" card. And you know what? This is not the first time she's done this, and she always gets away with it in the end, because my boss ends up removing charges to keep her happy. Well, that's just not my problem anymore!

Also, about half of our clients know my boss outside of the vet world in some way and get discounts and accommodations left and right. "Oh, their son used to babysit my neighbor's kid! Delete that exam fee!" This happens daily in some form or another. Then they get very upset when another doctor is on shift and they get charged normally. I'm so, so happy I won't have to be stuck in the middle of this anymore once I leave.

I was close to letting out all my pent-up frustration the other day. My boss zeroed out multiple charges on a guy's bill (not family/friend, just some rando who always complains) and discounted the rest without him even asking. When I charged him out I told him what we zeroed and discounted and he said "Now that's a bit more reasonable." :bang:

Another story from today, a bit more funny. A lady was very upset that we couldn't find her records in our system. It went like this:
"I can't believe it, I know I'm a client there!"
"Are you sure it was this hospital? There are a few others in the same town that people confuse with us all the time."
"It was definitely this hospital!"
"Okay, when was the last time you brought your pets in?"
"Oh, I can't remember. They're seven years old now. They were spayed here."
"Were they spayed when they were kittens?"
"Yes!"
"And they're seven years old now?"
"Yes!"
"I'm sorry, but we didn't exist seven years ago. This hospital only opened three years ago."
*awkward pause* "Well, then, I guess they're three years old." :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: She just COULD NOT admit she was wrong...

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I've been working on eating less for about a week and a half now and that's gone well. Trying to get back into running but, ah, it's so discouraging when I can just barely make it to 30 minutes at even a jog. I used to run track and cross country competitively and could do a mile in about 7 minutes... but alas, I'm just not in that kind of shape anymore.

I have no previous history as a runner unless being chased by bees, but I used one of those Couch to 5K apps earlier this year to get in shape and found that it really helped me to stick with it and stay motivated. It gradually increased the intervals I was running and I got up to doing 4.5 miles by the end of the summer. Just a thought, but one of those might help build that fitness back up over time without feeling discouraged :)

Reactions: 6 users
I guess I need to remind myself that anything is better than nothing at this point and that I can only get better from here so long as I just keep going.
There's an old Confucius quote that goes something like "It doesn't matter how slow you go just so long as you do not stop." I repeat it to myself like a mantra every time I get really frustrated while I'm swimming

Reactions: 7 users
Trying to get back into running but, ah, it's so discouraging when I can just barely make it to 30 minutes at even a jog. I used to run track and cross country competitively and could do a mile in about 7 minutes... but alas, I'm just not in that kind of shape anymore.

I guess I need to remind myself that anything is better than nothing at this point and that I can only get better from here so long as I just keep going.

Oh look, it me!

Happy to be a support buddy too - I've had a long slog of probably 18 months for getting from barely being able to walk a few blocks (post surgical muscle atrophy, man) to being able to run a fair distance again. I'm still out of shape and slow as all get out compared to where I was 5-10 years ago, but I finally crested the "this is terrible - keep going" hill into being happy and accepting where I'm at without comparing myself to where I used to be.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been working on eating less for about a week and a half now and that's gone well. Trying to get back into running but, ah, it's so discouraging when I can just barely make it to 30 minutes at even a jog. I used to run track and cross country competitively and could do a mile in about 7 minutes... but alas, I'm just not in that kind of shape anymore.
Emphasizing what everyone else is saying because I can also be a run buddy!! I was on the track team in high school and undergrad but did triple and long jump so I was never really much of a runner, and the past year has been a lot of learning for me :hilarious: I don't usually run far and I'm not very fast, but I'm always down to virtually train with people! I also have hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's so I can be a healthy eating support buddy too:)

I have no previous history as a runner unless being chased by bees, but I used one of those Couch to 5K apps earlier this year to get in shape and found that it really helped me to stick with it and stay motivated. It gradually increased the intervals I was running and I got up to doing 4.5 miles by the end of the summer. Just a thought, but one of those might help build that fitness back up over time without feeling discouraged :)
There's an old Confucius quote that goes something like "It doesn't matter how slow you go just so long as you do not stop." I repeat it to myself like a mantra every time I get really frustrated while I'm swimming
Oh look, it me!

Happy to be a support buddy too - I've had a long slog of probably 18 months for getting from barely being able to walk a few blocks (post surgical muscle atrophy, man) to being able to run a fair distance again. I'm still out of shape and slow as all get out compared to where I was 5-10 years ago, but I finally crested the "this is terrible - keep going" hill into being happy and accepting where I'm at without comparing myself to where I used to be.
Emphasizing what everyone else is saying because I can also be a run buddy!! I was on the track team in high school and undergrad but did triple and long jump so I was never really much of a runner, and the past year has been a lot of learning for me :hilarious: I don't usually run far and I'm not very fast, but I'm always down to virtually train with people! I also have hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's so I can be a healthy eating support buddy too:)
Ah, you all are amazing people. Sometimes I wonder why I even hang around SDN anymore when I'm no longer working in/pursuing vet med, but I truly do think it's the wonderfully compassionate community that keeps me coming back. Thanks for the encouragement and offers of support, all! :)

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
does anyone else experience classmates collectively complaining about classes being too hard and then having your class/exams get watered down?
this happened in our class too. But... I actually came to rant about how we just got a "quiz" (exam size and value but open book) back and many of us did not get full credit on several of the essays. The feedback quoted 2 sources...that we hadn't received yet. Instead we all used the one source we had... written by the professor.

• Care
this happened in our class too. But... I actually came to rant about how we just got a "quiz" (exam size and value but open book) back and many of us did not get full credit on several of the essays. The feedback quoted 2 sources...that we hadn't received yet. Instead we all used the one source we had... written by the professor.

This is one of those few situations where I would actually complain. If using sources you didnt even have/get taught are required to get full points, then it's an unfair question/assignment

Upgraded to iOS 14 yesterday, no major issues yet. Oddly not even too many growing pains, i.e. this minor and/or aesthetic thing changed and I don't like it but I will get used to it in 2 weeks.

Today my phone died at work, nbd. Got home and charged it and apparently all my text messages are "gone." With air quotes, because when I send someone a text (or receive one) it suddenly remembers our entire conversation history. What the hell, Apple.

Also it says I have one unread text message. Which I don't. I can't get rid of the notification bubble. It irks me.

AND my school email refuses to sync to my phone now, although technically that issue started before I updated to iOS 14.

Update: suddenly this morning my text issues are fixed so that's good. The issue with my school email persists though. Basically it wants me to re-enter my password but then when it tries to take me to the login page it never loads.

Update 2: my email is fine now??? I just

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Care
@Elkhart it's definitely not the same situation, but I am ace and I found that online dating (like OkCupid, etc) was actually super helpful. I was very upfront on my profile about it, and not wanting kids, etc. so no one had an excuse to not know. It was kind of an interesting experience, lots of people asked questions etc. Ended up going on a few dates with very reasonable people before finding my current partner. Might be something to try out if you haven't already! :)

• Care
I appreciate the offer! Thanks a bunch. :)

Catching up on this thread, and dude, I’m in almost the EXACT same situation. Not meds-related, but my ALT & LDL cholesterol came back high on my most recent bloodwork, so I’m doing the same dance here. Beginnings of NAFLD, don’t drink much at all (once a month max), obese, poor diet & super sedentary. The best advice I can give you (therapist-approved!) is to work on ADDING before you take things away. Add in little bits of movement or exercise. I found that going all-out and failing at an exercise was way more discouraging than doing something low-impact for less time (Pilates, walking, yoga, short bursts of fun cardio/dancing). I’ve also done better adding in whole/fresh foods & veggies rather than restricting bad things - once you’re eating more veggies & fruits & whole grains, the junkier things are by default kicked out when you get full. I don’t know if this is helpful, but it’s been working for me, law of averages & changes over time, yannow? I’m also totally available as a support/accountability buddy if you need!

Upgraded to iOS 14 yesterday, no major issues yet. Oddly not even too many growing pains, i.e. this minor and/or aesthetic thing changed and I don't like it but I will get used to it in 2 weeks.

Today my phone died at work, nbd. Got home and charged it and apparently all my text messages are "gone." With air quotes, because when I send someone a text (or receive one) it suddenly remembers our entire conversation history. What the hell, Apple.

Also it says I have one unread text message. Which I don't. I can't get rid of the notification bubble. It irks me.

AND my school email refuses to sync to my phone now, although technically that issue started before I updated to iOS 14.

Update: suddenly this morning my text issues are fixed so that's good. The issue with my school email persists though. Basically it wants me to re-enter my password but then when it tries to take me to the login page it never loads.

Update 2: my email is fine now??? I just
MINE DID THE SAME! Also froze & died when I installed app updates! Didn’t have a phone for 2 days (which was actually kinda nice, I have to admit...)

Stressed that my recent chronic stress is taking a toll on my overall life span at this point??

guys I’ve overloaded myself so badly this year I’m literally drowning. Every time I call my boyfriend, I’m either sobbing or on the verge. It’s ironic because on top of everything, I’m in charge of planning a massive wellness month event for the entire school and it’s been so much trying to schedule and organize all of the lecturers, food, prizes, challenges, yoga, etc. even with some people helping me. I can’t help but feel that the success of this entire month of events falls on my shoulders and any discrepancies or deviations from what I expect would be my fault and only mine alone... I know most of the students probably don’t care as much so i don’t know why I’m like this.

also sys path is making me drown and I want to stop sobbing. Nothing is fine right now. I also need to start getting more than 4-5 hours of sleep at this point... it’s also funny because next week will be our “sleep wellness week”...

• Care
  • Sad
@iguessisaidthat Stop. Just stop for a moment. Breathe. If you are not getting enough sleep, and you feel like crying all the time, stop. Breathe. Now another. Slowly....
You are not going to do anyone any good like this. You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others and all the other stuff.

Breathe.

If you have to, mark it in your calendar for 15 minutes all your own at least twice a day. power nap. meditate. just manage to go to the bathroom, or eat. The sky will not fall if you do this. Force yourself to do this, do not skimp.

Deep breath. hold....release...slowly...

It will be ok. You will be ok. Just slow down a little. You will be surprised, things start coming into focus better.

Hang in there. PM me if you want to.

(been here, done that, somehow survived. with the help of my friends, and a very wise friend who sat me down and made me listen to the above. Once I slowed a little, breathed a little, it all came together)

Reactions: 13 users
Stuffs...
Hey you've been doing a great job! Learn to lean on those other people. Let us know if you need more help that's why theres a board. Sys path will be ok. Like killer leaf said get that sleep it's the most important thing in order to function and not be emotionally destroyed. You got this. My pm is always open if you need anything. 2nd year will be ok. Your events are awesome. Lean on the others and let the board know if you need more help! Dont forget to take that me time because it's so important and that 30 min to 1 hr I promise will not make a significant difference in passing but it will for your wellbeing

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I really needed it and now I feel kind of silly. Sometimes everything just piles up slowly and then eventually a small thing will crack you. Like I didn’t get the mail I was expecting on Friday and just broke down completely, which is almost comical to me at this point lol.

I’m glad I have a great roommate who called USPS customer service for me, and I’m grateful for friends who’ve decided to start rewatching the Harry Potter series this weekend as a study break despite our sys path exam on Monday morning. Despite the absolute chaos in my life, people still seem care about me??!

This is completely random, but...
Has anyone else in undergrad noticed that majors that are not science based are so much easier then what we are doing? Like my roommate is a double major that doesn't have a ton of cross over classes and she does school work 2-3 days a week, and then there's me. I could do homework all day 7 days a week and still not be ahead. Its kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

But on a good note, I am taking organic chemistry freshman year and kicking ass!

Has anyone else in undergrad noticed that majors that are not science based are so much easier then what we are doing? Like my roommate is a double major that doesn't have a ton of cross over classes and she does school work 2-3 days a week, and then there's me. I could do homework all day 7 days a week and still not be ahead. Its kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

But on a good note, I am taking organic chemistry freshman year and kicking ass!

If I were judged how difficult what I was doing was based on how long it took me to do homework, people would think vet school was a breeze because there really isn't much homework. It is mostly studying.

Each major has its own difficulties/stresses, you can't judge how difficult something is by how long it takes someone to do homework. You may have more homework than them while they might have more studying to do. Or they might do best taking those breaks throughout the week because by not taking them, they might burn out. My roommate was an interior design major, a lot of her work had to be completed at school rather than back at home. She regularly had to create intricate building designs using software I'd never dream of being able to understand.

Yes, the sciences can be difficult, but that doesn't mean other majors are not difficult. I could have never been a math major. I could never have done interior design like my roommate. I had a roommate that was a finance major and while I probably could have done the work, umm, no thank you.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
It's all relative to the person too, ya know? I was a double major, biology on the one hand and English fiction writing on the other. Was my writing major easier than my biology major? Well, I certainly had a higher GPA in those classes. But that doesn't mean that you could take any other bio major and throw them into the lit and writing classes I was taking and they would do just as well. As much as I love science, it will never come close to the pure joy I get from reading and writing, so assignments that may have taken someone else days took me a few hours. And apparently I'm much better at understanding literature than biochemistry :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

Yannow, I agree with and I totally get DPMD and WZ's comments but like…I was hella salty when my friend in undergrad, who was a triple business major, just decided to have Fridays off. At that point, virtually all of my classes only had one section and were only offered once per year, so you either took it at the time that it was offered or you took it at that same time next year. Now I have even less control over my class schedule and I've just accepted it.

Point is, it's not apples to apples, but you can still be mad about it. :laugh:

Yannow, I agree with and I totally get DPMD and WZ's comments but like…I was hella salty when my friend in undergrad, who was a triple business major, just decided to have Fridays off. At that point, virtually all of my classes only had one section and were only offered once per year, so you either took it at the time that it was offered or you took it at that same time next year. Now I have even less control over my class schedule and I've just accepted it.

Point is, it's not apples to apples, but you can still be mad about it. :laugh:

I decided to have Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays off one semester in undergrad as a science major...the other two days sucked for sure but it was possible.

My response is more a word of caution don't get yourself into that mindset you have it worse/harder/etc, because you really don't know what other peoples' workload really is or how they're really feeling maybe getting that Friday off was to prevent the burnout/depression from the prior semester. It isn't worth you energy to be angry or salty that it appears by outward appearances that someone has it easier.

Just focus on yourself and what you can do with your schedule/studying/etc to make school as easy as possible for you.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
My response is more a word of caution don't get yourself into that mindset you have it worse/harder/etc, because you really don't know what other peoples' workload really is or how they're really feeling maybe getting that Friday off was to prevent the burnout/depression from the prior semester. It isn't worth you energy to be angry or salty that it appears by outward appearances that someone has it easier.

Just focus on yourself and what you can do with your schedule/studying/etc to make school as easy as possible for you.

Yes! It’s also not a contest, and even if there was a way to objectively say what major or what university or what job or whatever is “harder” than another, it really doesn’t matter. What matters is what you get out of the experience and if that is worth it for you. Easier or harder doesn’t mean better or worse. It’s what *you* have chosen to take on, and hopefully it’s something future you will thank you for. Ideally, you can get to your dream career by following a fun path that isn’t particularly difficult for you. But if that’s not the case, hopefully you choose a path now that future you will not regret. Whether that be because your personal struggles now means you meet your goals later, or having chosen something fun/easy for you means you have the time of your life that future you will be happy you got to experience, cause YOLO!

This is really important because this profession is one where a lot of people end up bitter and with a lot of regrets. If you think in terms of how “hard” your work/study is, and get salty/bitter by comparing to others, you’ll likely end up a sad veterinarian. Our work is hard, no one else really understands what we go through, and there’s very little extrinsic rewards. We choose or not choose to continue our path in this profession every day for ourselves. There’s no point in comparing ourselves and our struggles to those of other career trajectories and casting shade on them because that just won’t do you any good.

Meh. I think that's a bias-based kinda thought.

I did a theology degree in undergraduate. It took every bit as much time/effort as all of the pre-reqs for vet school I did. *shrug* Different kind of work often (obviously), but .... I wouldn't say it was "so much easier."

I’ve been really sick for three weeks with covid like symptoms and I keep testing negative. I kinda feel like death right now. And I get better one day to have the symptoms completely return the next day like I was not really better. I guess that has happened to several covid patients. This stinks and I’m getting really depressed.

• Care

Bio major here who minored in anthropology (and was like one credit away from a minor in creative writing). I will say that my non-biology classes were much easier...but that was only because I was hella more interested in writing and learning about the Moche than learning biochemical pathways. I had some classmates that cringed at the thought of writing a paragraph let alone take an entire writing course :laugh: . And I did also manage to get Tuesdays and Thursdays off one semester, so it is possible. It was awful and 10/10 do not recommend taking OChem, Micro, and Genetics (all of which are "weeding out courses" at my college) on the same day, multiple days a week. Ouch.

But yeah, I don't think it's really something that you can compare across the board. People gotta do what they gotta do to stay mentally healthy and if that's taking off every Friday, I'd be happy for them.

Bio major here who minored in anthropology (and was like one credit away from a minor in creative writing). I will say that my non-biology classes were much easier...but that was only because I was hella more interested in writing and learning about the Moche than learning biochemical pathways. I had some classmates that cringed at the thought of writing a paragraph let alone take an entire writing course :laugh: . And I did also manage to get Tuesdays and Thursdays off one semester, so it is possible. It was awful and 10/10 do not recommend taking OChem, Micro, and Genetics (all of which are "weeding out courses" at my college) on the same day, multiple days a week. Ouch.

But yeah, I don't think it's really something that you can compare across the board. People gotta do what they gotta do to stay mentally healthy and if that's taking off every Friday, I'd be happy for them.

I'm actually a fairly decent writer. My grandfather was a college English professor. You couldn't pay me enough to willingly sit through English/literature/writing courses again. I celebrated the completion of my last English course. I may be decent at writing, but I despise doing it. I'd rather relearn the Krebs cycle for the 1527265 time.

I honestly do love writing. However, the writing class I had to take to complete my degree really taxed my brain, and my patience. Everything had to be so formal. I do not do formal very well, my style is much more informal. Don't get me wrong, I can do it. But it was more of a struggle than it really should have been, and I was sooo glad when that class was done.