RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Trying to buy a new computer because I am well overdue for something that isn't slower than molasses.

Found one I like on best buy.

Has to be signed for because computers are expensive. That's cool, I wouldn't want it sitting on my porch anyways. Except the only delivery date options are days that I work and while I won't be at work all day, I have no way of knowing if the delivery would arrive when I'm home or not.

So I'm thinking I'll just do in store pick up... nope, not an option.

I'm unsure of why they can ship it to me but not to the store.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Trying to buy a new computer because I am well overdue for something that isn't slower than molasses.

Has to be signed for because computers are expensive. That's cool, I wouldn't want it sitting on my porch anyways. Except the only delivery date options are days that I work and while I won't be at work all day, I have no way of knowing if the delivery would arrive when I'm home or not.

I often shipped things to my work when I ran into those situations, just let the front desk know to sign for it please.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Well, I'm still annoyed at best buy especially because they hung up on me because I couldn't easily understand the guy who called me back.

But I found a similar one on amazon and I can actually pick a delivery day for that.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Boys.

Thats it. That’s the rant.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Yeah, I avoided my 10 year high school reunion with a like 50 foot pole. No thanks. My 20 year will be in less than 5 years, I'll probably avoid that one too.
How does one get invited to a high school reunion anyway? My 20 year would be in 2 years I think, across the other side of the continent. I have like 0 desire to even consider going, but with a large school how do they even keep track of their graduates?

How does one get invited to a high school reunion anyway? My 20 year would be in 2 years I think, across the other side of the continent. I have like 0 desire to even consider going, but with a large school how do they even keep track of their graduates?
Facebook I imagine. Which is probably why I haven’t been invited, because I don’t have one :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, no idea. I know it is a bit easier now with Facebook, but still, I have no desire to keep track or find old high school classmates. Heck I probably didn't even know 85-90% of my classmates, we had a graduating class of around 500. So yeah no clue how anyone would be able to keep track, find, locate or even care to spend the time to try to find everyone.

I fully expect no one will remember to invite me to a HS reunion (10 years is next year). Which is fine, I guess since I probably wouldn't go but it still would have been nice to actually be remembered in some capacity. My class wasn't that big.

I ended up having approximately 35% of the class on the Facebook page. I invited the people I was still friends with and then they all ended up inviting people they knew. I also occasionally linked the page to an alumni Facebook page.

My graduating class was pretty small with only like 45-50 people. We had a Facebook group. The organizers added their friends and people gradually added everyone else. Someone posted photos of the yearbook pages so we could be reminded of classmates who might need invited. I just looked at the group and we have 46 members so I assume just about everyone ended up invited. But if we’d had 500 I don’t think it would have worked as well.

Interestingly, I remember one of our HS class president’s main campaign points was that she wanted to plan the reunions…and she wasn’t the organizer for the actual event they tried to have? So I don’t know how it manifested into reality. Guess some locals might have taken up the reins on their own.

My HS was super small (44? graduated) but I didn’t really enjoy high school, college, vet school…
Damn.

I kept in touch with a few people but not many. I think they tried a 5y class reunion for HS but our school closed the year we graduated so that was fun times. No one mentioned a 10y to me (but I skipped the 5y so I’m not surprised). So cliquey blahhh

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Our 10 year reunion was a couple weeks ago but hubz and I decided to skip it. I usually see most of the people that I'm interested in seeing around the holidays anyway, and high school was not as fun of a time for him as it was for me.

I didn't really like high school much. It wasn't that it was horrible. I was just bored because it wasn't intellectually stimulating and honestly I wasn't interested in the typical teenage things, so my peers were boring too.

So I didn't really care about high school much at all.

I also didn't like undergrad either. Most people I knew were into hookah, drinking, etc and I found very few that weren't interested in any of that. So I was kind of a lone wolf there too.

Called my rotation mate out on case dodging. They began to come up with every excuse possible for why they were case dodging, and then somehow it ended up being my fault for signing up for cases? So done with people case dodging and passing off their responsibilities. How many more months until graduation?

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Called my rotation mate out on case dodging. They began to come up with every excuse possible for why they were case dodging, and then somehow it ended up being my fault for signing up for cases? So done with people case dodging and passing off their responsibilities. How many more months until graduation?
I hated this. I had one person on my very last rotation who literally got the clinician involved and they tried to force me to take call for her and I told them both no because I had already made plans that day. My plans were being unconscious but they didn't need to know that. That girl got so mad she quit the rotation and drunk messaged all of us on Microsoft teams about how unsupported she felt by all of us

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
The case dodgers continue into practice. Lots of older vets who are happy to have the new grad take all of the blocked cats, not eating for a week, unable to stand, seventeenth opinion, crazy clients, etc. I always made myself look at it as a way to build my skill set but it gets old after a while. Not to mention that you know these cases ALL come in five minutes before closing…

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I'm still spiking mild fevers post covid booster (dose 3), I'm tired, sore and achy... and I just found a giant wasp nest in my garage.

I'm going to go out into my garage one day and get swarmed by wasps. 😭😭😭

• Care
I’ve gone through all iterations of a possible pre-vet course load and it looks like the most realistic option is to wait until the fall semester to enroll in intro bio and chem.

It sucks because I finally figured out a way to take intro bio and chem before fall 2023 (in-person, over summer). However, the 4-year school I want to enroll in after has this rule that if you are a second-degree student enrolling as a chem/biochem/bio major you need to have finished intro chem and bio elsewhere. I can finish them elsewhere but the application deadline is before the end of classes.

I asked if I could enroll subject to getting satisfactory grades in those classes and they just said no. I’ve never even gotten below a B in my Stats or CompSci classes but according to them there’s no way of knowing if I’ve passed my intro classes until it’s too late.

I ask if I could just take upper-level science classes as a non-degree student and they essentially said “good luck” . I could theoretically enroll in the spring semester because by then my grades from the intro courses would be released by then but they don’t offer orgo 1 in the spring so it’s kind of pointless.

It’s so frustrating!! I don’t hate my job right now at least but it would be nice to actually be making progress towards my goals. I feel like I’m being blocked at every angle. I’ve emailed several vet clinics as well to the place I’m moving to and none of them allow shadowing or volunteers. I’ve gotten interviews for vet assistant jobs and they want at least 20hrs per week which I just can’t do alongside a full-time job and it is not a good idea for me to quit my current job to start making part-time minimum wage especially considering I won’t actually be in school for a while at this rate.

Sorry for the wall of text. I’m to mad to care about proofreading

• Care
I ask if I could just take upper-level science classes as a non-degree student and they essentially said “good luck”
I received the same answer from the school where I did my prereqs, since non-degree students were the last to register. So less likely to get a spot in a class. However, this school also had a lot of class movement during the first week of school. Many people switched around, and I was able to get the courses and sections I wanted. Any chance your 4-year school is the same way?

I’ve gone through all iterations of a possible pre-vet course load and it looks like the most realistic option is to wait until the fall semester to enroll in intro bio and chem.

It sucks because I finally figured out a way to take intro bio and chem before fall 2023 (in-person, over summer). However, the 4-year school I want to enroll in after has this rule that if you are a second-degree student enrolling as a chem/biochem/bio major you need to have finished intro chem and bio elsewhere. I can finish them elsewhere but the application deadline is before the end of classes.

I asked if I could enroll subject to getting satisfactory grades in those classes and they just said no. I’ve never even gotten below a B in my Stats or CompSci classes but according to them there’s no way of knowing if I’ve passed my intro classes until it’s too late.

I ask if I could just take upper-level science classes as a non-degree student and they essentially said “good luck” . I could theoretically enroll in the spring semester because by then my grades from the intro courses would be released by then but they don’t offer orgo 1 in the spring so it’s kind of pointless.

It’s so frustrating!! I don’t hate my job right now at least but it would be nice to actually be making progress towards my goals. I feel like I’m being blocked at every angle. I’ve emailed several vet clinics as well to the place I’m moving to and none of them allow shadowing or volunteers. I’ve gotten interviews for vet assistant jobs and they want at least 20hrs per week which I just can’t do alongside a full-time job and it is not a good idea for me to quit my current job to start making part-time minimum wage especially considering I won’t actually be in school for a while at this rate.

Sorry for the wall of text. I’m to mad to care about proofreading
Is there a way you could enroll as a non-chem/bio major, take the intro classes over the summer, and then switch your major? Or are you locked into whatever specific major you apply into?

I’ve emailed the Orgo professor and admissions to see if either of these options work.

I noticed that a physics major doesn’t have the same silly requirements as the pre-health majors but I want to make sure that I’m not locked out of taking other classes.

Thank you both!

So much red-tape and for what??? This is a public college with half the students being transfers from CCs in the area. I just want to get an education y’all.

EDIT:
I called admissions since their emails were unhelpful. After some crying and a long convo, they finally relented and said yes, I can apply as a physics major and change later on. Only downside is that I will need to take calculus-based physics. I haven't taken calc in like 5 years lol. I think I will find a way to manage with that though. Nothing that Kahn Academy can't help with.

Thanks for the suggestions and support! This forum is great.

Last edited:
I keep waiting for this to happen and have come close many times... now I have less monkeys to play with :cryi:
Considering the sheer number of monkeys and injections we do daily, I was surprised it took me over a year. I felt awful about it, was so embarrassed and everyone was like nah, now you’re initiated! :laugh:

Can someone, anyone, please explain to my infant son that he can in fact sleep for more than 2 hours at a time? My husband and I are starting to go a little bit crazy from the sleep deprivation...

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
Hubs is probably going to have to have a 3rd shoulder surgery. He's having alot of the same symptoms as last time. He might have to change careers because of it. So that sucks.

• Care
  • Sad
Rotation feedback that consists of unactionable items really aggravates me!! To see my feedback and my classmates' feedback consist of criticisms to their personality is just utterly ridiculous!!! Giving feedback on their knowledge base or their technical skills or their communication skills is appropriate but to literally say "too soft spoken" or "participates too much"...like seriously?!

• Care
Rotation feedback that consists of unactionable items really aggravates me!! To see my feedback and my classmates' feedback consist of criticisms to their personality is just utterly ridiculous!!! Giving feedback on their knowledge base or their technical skills or their communication skills is appropriate but to literally say "too soft spoken" or "participates too much"...like seriously?!
They’re just preparing you for the nonsense of online reviews by clients after you graduate.

• Haha
Unfortunately, welcome to fourth year. I had multiple classmates get feedback from clinicians about different students because they had mixed them up (so then how could they know them well enough to give any feedback?), feedback from people they had quite literally never even met, and the ER rotation included "feedback" even when it was downright ****ing nasty and not helpful at all (the one that sticks out to me is telling a student she shouldn't apply to match because they didn't like her personality - she matched, by the way).

I stopped reading mine after getting positive feedback about being able to stand in surgery for 6-7 hours straight (because they wouldn't let me leave in the middle to eat even though the supervising surgeon who was WRITING this review had dipped out and traded with another supervising surgeon halfway through for exactly that purpose).

Reactions: 4 users
After my cat's dental exam was completed and kitty was scheduled to be released to me, I drove to the veterinary clinic to get her. :cat:

The vet clinic is located near a popular shopping center, and there was scarcely any parking to be found because the area was bustling with people shopping at the different stores and boutiques in the shopping center.

Fortunately, the vet clinic has two parking spaces reserved solely for the use of the vet clinic.

However, when I arrived, the vet clinic parking spaces were already occupied by a sedan and an SUV.

Fortunately, the SUV was getting ready to depart, and the driver was slowly backing their SUV out of the reserved parking space.

So, I activated my right-turn signal light ... blink-blink-blink ... and stayed in plain view of all other cars in the area, and waited patiently and politely for the SUV to back out of the vet clinic parking space.

The SUV slowly backed out ... and I waited in PLAIN VIEW of all other cars ... and finally the SUV drove away.

As soon as the SUV drove away, another car immediately lurched forward and SPED into the vacated parking space!

At first, I was stunned. Then, I assumed (naturally) the driver of the other car was bringing in their pet for a true medical emergency.

That's what I thought.

BUT NO ... in my rear view mirror, I saw the driver of the other car trotting over to a nail salon!

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 11 users
There's too much going on right now, so I'm going to write them out to purge my emotions. My gap year is not going well whatsoever, I know everyone goes through a "post-graduation depression" but mine has been soul-crushing. Originally, I planned to work and make money this year while waiting for vet school updates, but the hospital that hired me has been SO BAD at communication.

I reached out for a scribe position in early August, and I had a phone interview. I thought it went well but I did not hear from them for two weeks and they only responded AFTER I reached out. Apparently, the hiring manager is away, and she is the person to continue the onboarding process. Some time passed, the manager finally emailed back (it is now September btw!!) and she conducted a second phone interview. It went quite well, and I was told to come in to get a feel of the hospital. Even trying to schedule a visit took a week because she is at a different time zone and is dealing with thousands of emails a day. I understand that.

So, I was finally scheduled for my working interview and after my first visit I was told to look for an email update...and then...it was radio silence for another two weeks -___- I had reached out again MYSELF for her to respond. She said the team really liked me and can't wait for me to join. I was given the onboarding checklist among other tasks. I completed all of them ASAP and emailed her whenever I had questions. It is now October, I kept asking when the scribe training will start, and I was continuously told "wait for the email".

I was really done today so I emailed again after being left clueless for weeks. Well, guess what, the scribe team scheduled me for a call immediately. I am just so done...every progress only happens after I reach out. I get that the program is in its early development, but this lack of communication/transparency is DRAINING me. While waiting for them, I had to reject a full-time remote position, which would have better hours and pay. Now I am just working for retail part-time while my mom is hounding me to get a high-paying job. I really can’t wait for this gap year to be over and that is only if I get accepted :‘)

Also going through a break-up right now but that’s for another day to talk about lol.

Sorry for this long post, I don’t expect anyone to read it. I hope everyone else is doing well! : ))

• Care
There's too much going on right now, so I'm going to write them out to purge my emotions. My gap year is not going well whatsoever, I know everyone goes through a "post-graduation depression" but mine has been soul-crushing. Originally, I planned to work and make money this year while waiting for vet school updates, but the hospital that hired me has been SO BAD at communication.

I reached out for a scribe position in early August, and I had a phone interview. I thought it went well but I did not hear from them for two weeks and they only responded AFTER I reached out. Apparently, the hiring manager is away, and she is the person to continue the onboarding process. Some time passed, the manager finally emailed back (it is now September btw!!) and she conducted a second phone interview. It went quite well, and I was told to come in to get a feel of the hospital. Even trying to schedule a visit took a week because she is at a different time zone and is dealing with thousands of emails a day. I understand that.

So, I was finally scheduled for my working interview and after my first visit I was told to look for an email update...and then...it was radio silence for another two weeks -___- I had reached out again MYSELF for her to respond. She said the team really liked me and can't wait for me to join. I was given the onboarding checklist among other tasks. I completed all of them ASAP and emailed her whenever I had questions. It is now October, I kept asking when the scribe training will start, and I was continuously told "wait for the email".

I was really done today so I emailed again after being left clueless for weeks. Well, guess what, the scribe team scheduled me for a call immediately. I am just so done...every progress only happens after I reach out. I get that the program is in its early development, but this lack of communication/transparency is DRAINING me. While waiting for them, I had to reject a full-time remote position, which would have better hours and pay. Now I am just working for retail part-time while my mom is hounding me to get a high-paying job. I really can’t wait for this gap year to be over and that is only if I get accepted :‘)

Also going through a break-up right now but that’s for another day to talk about lol.

Sorry for this long post, I don’t expect anyone to read it. I hope everyone else is doing well! : ))
Hey! I’m in a very similar situation to you actually. I’m also in my gap year, and I just applied to vet school for the second time. I have been so depressed. I’m so anxious about my applications I can barely think about anything else. I also went through a breakup (things ended pretty badly and long story short he moved on in a week). I’m lucky to be working a job I really love, but shelter medicine can get very upsetting sometimes obviously. Also I got rear ended and the person is trying to say it’s not their fault and I’m having to go through annoying insurance garbage. The only thing keeping me going is the fact that this situation and these feelings are all temporary. You are not alone.

• Care
Hey! I’m in a very similar situation to you actually. I’m also in my gap year, and I just applied to vet school for the second time. I have been so depressed. I’m so anxious about my applications I can barely think about anything else. I also went through a breakup (things ended pretty badly and long story short he moved on in a week). I’m lucky to be working a job I really love, but shelter medicine can get very upsetting sometimes obviously. Also I got rear ended and the person is trying to say it’s not their fault and I’m having to go through annoying insurance garbage. The only thing keeping me going is the fact that this situation and these feelings are all temporary. You are not alone.
Thanks for responding!! I am so sorry to hear about your car and I hope you didn't have any injuries. Car troubles are literally the worst thing ://

• Care
Thanks for responding!! I am so sorry to hear about your car and I hope you didn't have any injuries. Car troubles are literally the worst thing ://
They really are….. I’m ok it’s just annoying to have my car damaged and then having to fight with the person and my insurance. We will get through this difficult time :)

• Care
I received the same answer from the school where I did my prereqs, since non-degree students were the last to register. So less likely to get a spot in a class. However, this school also had a lot of class movement during the first week of school. Many people switched around, and I was able to get the courses and sections I wanted. Any chance your 4-year school is the same way?
I did my upper level pre-reqs as one off courses online through Colorado state university (Biochem and Physiology), and Washington State University (Genetics). Pricey but well taught and accepted by UC Davis, so likely others.

Just going to word vomit because saying all of this out loud right now is too exhausting. May delete later, so don't quote please.

**poof**

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 18 users
About to leave to take my 6th exam of the month. This one is a FINAL, that is cumulative, and we had an exam both Monday and Friday last week so you bet everything was crammed into the weekend

I am overwhelmed with anxiety

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I had three back to back neoplasia cases today, they were three of my sweetest patients that I’ve been seeing regularly since I started out. All very poor prognosis. Cancer sucks.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Went out to feed the horses this morning and my baby horse Ducky had 7 porcupine quills in her nose! Thankfully she was a super good girl and let me pull them out, and palpate every inch of her for more quills. Then this evening I went out to give them dinner and saw two quills in my semi-retired heart horse's fetlock :eek: They came out suuuuuper easy so they weren't very deep, and I can't feel any others on him anywhere, but now I'm going to be spending the rest of their lives worrying about migrating quills :smack: I love horses...

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I have plans for December that I should be excited about but the closer it gets, I just feel more stressed and afraid that something is going to go wrong and I'm not sure I can handle the crushing disappointment if it does.

And I'm lonely. Work is actually pretty decent but I don't have much of a life outside of it. Which sucks.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Got my first speeding ticket. Promptly cried about it because I don't handle that variety of stress well. And now I'm somewhat scared to drive because there are plenty of places just like that one where afaik there's no speed limit sign to be seen.

• Care
Got my first speeding ticket. Promptly cried about it because I don't handle that variety of stress well. And now I'm somewhat scared to drive because there are plenty of places just like that one where afaik there's no speed limit sign to be seen.
Unlabeled roads here are supposed to be 55 in the state I thought?