RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They started me on a baby dose initially because I wanted to gauge how much it sedated me before I head off into things like doing surgeries and driving lond distances, both of which I have to do this weekend lol. Right now I'm just taking it at night but I do think I'm probably going to have to up the med dose over time as I figure out how I react to it
Yeah I def had to taper up to what I’m on now but it finally started actually doing something 😂 it does sedate me some but I’d rather have slightly decreased pain and be a little sleepier

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I def had to taper up to what I’m on now but it finally started actually doing something 😂 it does sedate me some but I’d rather have slightly decreased pain and be a little sleepier
Yeah, just didn't want any bad surprises in the middle of full day of surgeries. If I had this appointment earlier in the week I would have pushed for a higher dose to try since I didn't have anything to do

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, just didn't want any bad surprises in the middle of full day of surgeries. If I had this appointment earlier in the week I would have pushed for a higher dose to try since I didn't have anything to do
Yeahhh I may or may not have fallen asleep in rounds multiple times already whoops 😬

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We had an anal gland abscess come in when I was on ER. Who had gone to the rDVM THAT MORNING for it. rDVM didn't poke it or anything which is fine but did give the dog antibiotics AND pain meds (iirc gaba and carprofen). And yet. This dog still showed up at ****ing 10 pm. And then the owners had the AUDACITY to get annoyed that their dog was still there at 1 am before getting discharged because “it’s late”
MAAM WE KNOW. WE ARE STILL HERE TOO. I WAS SUPPOSED TO LEAVE AN HOUR AGO BUT SORRY THAT A SLEW OF ACTUALLY CRITICAL ANIMALS CAME IN ALL AT ONCE.
Here’s another one for you: just got a history from emergency… presented for lump on neck… said they have an appointment at another clinic tomorrow… left due to long wait time +pity+

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Here’s another one for you: just got a history from emergency… presented for lump on neck… said they have an appointment at another clinic tomorrow… left due to long wait time +pity+
Omg those are the worst

Reminds me of one from last summer, a dog who had some sort of lump or scab or something on his side and was an "emergency" because the owner was flying with the dog tomorrow.

Our policy during COVID procedures is owners can come and go from the parking lot as they please, but they must stay outside and the pet must be inside, no exceptions.

Well, explained on the phone to this woman that if she wanted to come her dog would have to come inside, and she said her dog had to stay outside with her because he is a service dog. I relayed this to our manager while she was on hold and asked her to take the call because I felt I had already explained the options the best I could.

Then our manager got off the phone, told us she would be coming in and that she had agreed to leave her dog.

The woman came and claimed exactly the opposite, and at that point the manager had left for the day so the supervising LVT was going to go out, but the woman drove off (thankfully lol)

The kicker is that when I heard her name, I realized that I kind of knew her. I had never met her, but had seen that she had previously left a 1 star review for the hospital based on wait times, and it stood out to me because she is Facebook friends with one of my friends.

Can't imagine why someone would return to a place they didn't like. I think this woman was just not right in the head.

• Wow
Paper writing is hard and I don't wanna do it. End rant :laugh:
Well you’ve already got the goats

C0EFF8FD-A7E0-48D9-AA23-692B0C57A844.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
My thoughts are with you, @finnickthedog! I don't know if you remember but back in 2016 my Gail went missing for 2 weeks in the dead of winter and she popped up randomly (I went out looking for her and left a glove in the woods and she came around a couple days after...not sure if that had anything to do with it). It was an absolutely miserable time and I know how much it hurts. Here if you need anything!

A client tried to educate me last night that they didn’t want a physical exam (for the emergency fee), and wanted a “doctor visual-only assessment” of the pet to figure out what caused a wound. Of course, the latter option is free. ;)

Client left in the ensuing temper tantrum when I informed them those two things are in fact both physical exams and need to be paid for. I hope they lodge a formal complaint so that management can get a good laugh when they read my client comms.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 10 users
My thoughts are with you, @finnickthedog! I don't know if you remember but back in 2016 my Gail went missing for 2 weeks in the dead of winter and she popped up randomly (I went out looking for her and left a glove in the woods and she came around a couple days after...not sure if that had anything to do with it). It was an absolutely miserable time and I know how much it hurts. Here if you need anything!

Unfortunately, because she wasn't with me (and she should have been at this point which is part of why I'm so angry) she went missing in an area of the state I don't live in. So I don't have as much ability to just go out looking for her. The people in the area should be looking for her (and I did go out and look for hours when she went missing) but my faith in them is low because they lost her in the first place. Plus she's a 12 year old dog who was starting to show her age so I'm not sure she's all that equipped to survive on her own for long.

I hope someone picked her up the first night and just kept her honestly. I hate thinking of her just outside on her own.

But at the same time I can't imagine someone keeping her. She's a sweetheart but she's a little incontinent in her old age and while I love her enough to deal with that I can't imagine a random person would.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 13 users
Did they do something with forum styles again? I've got all these red dots next to new threads and my notifications changed style and ... arghhhhhh.

Maybe it's just me.

Did they do something with forum styles again? I've got all these red dots next to new threads and my notifications changed style and ... arghhhhhh.

Maybe it's just me.
There was a 2 hour update this morning. So not just you!

Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe it's just me.
If you switch it to Basic theme, it's almost unchanged from before.

I have heard and experienced our vet advisor from my school telling folks ( even myself and others in my class before getting in) that we would never get in and not to apply. I just had an awesome tech who is brilliant get told that by her. Her grades slipped a bit because of MULTIPLE family member deaths. This was an issue I dealt with as well. This woman has 0 actual veterinary experience outside the vet school but is in charge of a podcast and advising prevets. I dont know exactly what to do but im tired of repairing her damage...

I have heard and experienced our vet advisor from my school telling folks ( even myself and others in my class before getting in) that we would never get in and not to apply. I just had an awesome tech who is brilliant get told that by her. Her grades slipped a bit because of MULTIPLE family member deaths. This was an issue I dealt with as well. This woman has 0 actual veterinary experience outside the vet school but is in charge of a podcast and advising prevets. I dont know exactly what to do but im tired of repairing her damage...

Well. I think there's a few levels to that.

First, recognize she's probably giving people the best advice she knows to give. That doesn't mean it's always correct. That's why it's called advice. Nobody is right 100% of the time. I've counseled people to euthanize a dog, had them refuse, and subsequently seen the dog treated back to health; most recently with a HORRIFIC necrotizing and infected injury covering most of the dog's right side. *shrug* Sometimes advice just doesn't play out. So maybe cut her some slack for doing the best she can?

Second, have you tried just.... yanno.... sending her mail and explaining your personal experience? Explain that hey, you advised me that I couldn't get into vet school, and I was able to get in, so maybe reconsider how you are advising people? Nothing wrong with a direct approach. Easy enough to be kind about it and just say "Hey, as feedback....."

Third, is it really your job to repair her "damage"? Not meant in a snarky way. Just.... focus on things you control and are supposed to be responsible for. Don't stress over the rest. Yanno?

Last edited:
Well. I think there's a few levels to that.

First, recognize she's probably giving people the best advice she knows to give. That doesn't mean it's always correct. That's why it's called advice. Nobody is right 100% of the time. I've counseled people to euthanize a dog, had them refuse, and subsequently seen the dog treated back to health; most recently with a HORRIFIC necrotizing and infected injury covering most of the dog's right side. *shrug* Sometimes advice just doesn't play out. So maybe cut her some slack for doing the best she can?

Second, have you tried just.... yanno.... sending her mail and explaining your personal experience? Explain that hey, you advised me that I couldn't get into vet school, and I was able to get in, so maybe reconsider how you are advising people? Nothing wrong with a direct approach. Easy enough to be kind about it and just say "Hey, as feedback....."

Third, is it really your job to repair her "damage"? Not meant in a snarky way. Just.... focus on things you control and are supposed to be responsible for. Don't stress over the rest. Yanno?
I will try talking to her directly again. Mostly its that we've seen a troublesome trend towards the folks she'd told that to being marginalized groups. Its not my job but it seems unless you fit the stereotype vet student ( white, well off,young, and female) she advises you not to apply). The year she said I had 0 chance I was interviewed at 3 schools, waitlisted at 4 and accepted to 2 outright after interview..one of them being hers. I think if it wasnt for lsu and virginia helping me with my application I wouldn't have had success that year.

Wake up this morning feeling fine and then the memories/flashbacks on my app remind me that "hey! it's your dead dog's birthday!"

First one with him being gone. I miss my boy. I remember him being born and my utter disappointment that the puppy with such pretty markings was a boy so there was "no way" I could keep him... but 8 weeks later there was no way I could let him go.

And even though it's nowhere near her birthday I miss my old lady too. Not a sign of her.

Just can't believe I started this year with 4 largely healthy dogs and I now somehow only have 2.

I feel guilty for everytime I grumbled to myself about how hard it was to find a rental with 4 dogs and it would be easier if I had less.

I feel guilty about trusting someone else with them so that I could run off and do externships.

I know I shouldn't feel guilty, but I still do.

• Care
Reactions: 20 users
Wake up this morning feeling fine and then the memories/flashbacks on my app remind me that "hey! it's your dead dog's birthday!"

First one with him being gone. I miss my boy. I remember him being born and my utter disappointment that the puppy with such pretty markings was a boy so there was "no way" I could keep him... but 8 weeks later there was no way I could let him go.

And even though it's nowhere near her birthday I miss my old lady too. Not a sign of her.

Just can't believe I started this year with 4 largely healthy dogs and I now somehow only have 2.

I feel guilty for everytime I grumbled to myself about how hard it was to find a rental with 4 dogs and it would be easier if I had less.

I feel guilty about trusting someone else with them so that I could run off and do externships.

I know I shouldn't feel guilty, but I still do.

*Hugs* I sympathize with you, I'm sorry for your loss :(

2021 has sucked the big one. I lost my heart dog earlier this year, had to rehome my other dog due to worsening aggression (I think my heart dog was keeping him in line) and our 16 year old man isn't going to be around much longer... maybe a few weeks at most. This year has been terrible. We went from 3 dogs this year down to one (and the one is the new pup I got after my heart dog passed). She's been amazing for the healing process but my heart is still broken </3

• Care
To add more ****tiness to this year... my grandfather fell and broke his hip (thankfully had surgery and is in recovery), my mother in law needed an emergency pacemaker put in and finally... my step mother's mom died last night from COVID (an unvaccinated, non-believer in COVID). I'm really over this year starting with losing my heart dog. I'm really hoping for some better news and a better year in 2022.

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
I've been working on a hard behavior case for the past month at least. Mom has been trying her damnedest and has followed my instructions to a T. The only recommendation not followed through on is a behaviorist; vetoed by dad. There's no identifiable pain, he's not responding to psych meds at all. The mom has been extra watchful of all his behaviors and it sounds like this kiddo is a true CCD kiddo. We talked for a long time this morning about options and unfortunately he will be coming in next week for euthanasia.

His quality of life is shot and his welfare is suffering for it. The human-animal bond is pretty damaged at this point. So I am in support of euthanasia for him. I don't think this kiddo would do well in a shelter/foster situation, though I did offer names of local rescues I would trust with a kiddo like this. It just breaks my heart cause mom did everything in her power to help her dog and it just wasn't enough.

And then Thursday will be the 3rd anniversary of losing my sister.

So it's going to be a rough couple of days next week.

• Care
Reactions: 22 users
@Trilt you didn't cause that dog's death. It's disease did. You did nothing wrong. I know it is hard to think you aren't responsible but you aren't. As a tech I walked a dog out to use the bathroom, this was GP, dog hadn't been in oxygen, can't recall what it was there for. Had a known history of some heart issues but wasn't why it was there that day. Dog did its business, we're waking back in. It jumps up onto the curb of the sidewalk and immediately collapsed dead. I was devastated, got chewed out by the vets that I should've carried the dog (there was no instruction to carry the dog). I couldn't let it go until vet school when I finally learned that dog would've died walking out to the car with the owner if it hadn't died with me. I did nothing wrong, its disease killed it.

Give yourself some grace, my friend.

• Care
Reactions: 23 users
@Trilt
That is not a weight you should have to carry with you. You were doing your best for that dog, and sometimes even that is just not enough to snatch a dog back from the jaws of death.

Reactions: 11 users
Thanks guys. Of course I know I didn't cause his problems, but I am still very sad to not be able to fix them. Especially since my highest suspicion is chordal rupture, and the owner really could have had a good long time with his very special dude if we got him out of the hospital. We sat for a while and talked about the pup and his wife and it's the human side of these stories where my heart just absolutely aches.

I'm actually very good at letting go. Cathartic typing just often helps. ;)

I made the decisions I made when they happened, they didn't work, and that sucks and I wish I'd made different ones. I have no idea if it would have changed the outcome. But I do think it's worth keeping teeny little bits of these weights, because they make me better going forward.

• Care
Reactions: 18 users
@Trilt Definitely can't blame yourself for this dog's demise. They say nothing dies in radiology but unfortunately we have lots of critical patients that get into x-ray and we stabilize as best as possible. Generally they end up euthanized but I did have a dach two years ago that died taking radiographs... suspected heart failure but no murmur, appeared stable. *sigh* it happens. Don't beat yourself up.

I have a goat doe who just will not shut up about how desperately she wants to get dicked down by the hunks on the other side of the house. She's been yelling since 3 am and I don't plan on giving in until late October at the earliest.

Her name is Soul Sister if that amuses anyone further.

Pics of goats and deer to be soothing yet clue some others into another gripe I've got, lol.

Attachments

• 20210817_135244.jpg
    20210817_135244.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Haha
"Hair loss can occur with this drug, but it's not one of the most common side effects."
~Several months later...~
*looks at handfuls of hair that are now coming out when I just run my fingers through it*

Ok. Great. Cool.

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
My dad didn't receive his last chemo treatment because Covid-19 cases are skyrocketing where I live. I'm so angry about how our province and government has failed to respond to an increasingly dire situation.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I love exotic animals but there is so much euthanasia. So much "It's just an X, I can get another for $10." Or a euthanasia because an owner doesn't know how to properly care for said animal. I usually don't dwell on it but when they're back-to-back all day and due to animal care mistakes it is so disappointing.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Today is the first time I had a patient die (natural death) in front of me and the whole situation was emotionally exhausting. Then I get home to find out that my dogs have been barking whenever I leave the house. So ya know, it's been a great day.

• Care
not a rant really, but my kitty has been really freaking sick and hospitalized at my school's ICU since this past monday. he had a pyothorax, underwent thoracotomy to remove the infected lung lobe, and the recovery so far has had a lot of ups and downs. for additional context he is 10 years old. so, not young but not really old. I think that I am having trouble managing my expectations for his recovery, and slowly coming to realize that he is very ill and recovery will not be a straight a straight line upwards. we still don't know the cause, still waiting on fluid culture and biopsy. the uncertainty is causing a lot of the anxiety. if I put him through all this just to have to have him put down when all is said and done, I don't know how I will get through it. but I understand and accept that it is a decent possibility. our ICU is also understaffed and I get nervous that he will go unnoticed if he starts to decline. it's been a really big mess for me. silver lining is pet insurance, which allows me to have them do everything and anything he needs. he was not oxygen dependent as of my last visit this morning but it sure looks like he could be. but I don't really know anything. his surgeon thinks he's fine off oxygen. and it's hard to get an spO2 because he's all black. if they say he's been oxygenating well I suppose I should just have faith and believe it.

sometimes I wonder if having pets is worth it. my life has been put on hold for this entire week and it's not sustainable because I have exams and everything. not that I particularly care about the exams, but I can't just completely throw them. maybe I can. I just can't focus on anything else even though I try to keep busy. I think I'm going to hold off on visiting the cat this weekend because I think it's making things way worse for me. he doesn't look good. he's not going to look good for a while, if ever again. I am just afraid that I will regret it if I don't visit as much as I can. I'm trying to be positive but it's really hard.

edited to remove edits idk

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
@sheltermed I was actually literally just thinking about you this morning and wondering how life was going for you. I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty... all the good vibes to both you and him. That must be incredibly difficult to grapple with on top of vet school.

• Care
he died this morning. thanks for the support everyone.

• Care
Reactions: 25 users
i've had chronic back pain for *years* so i'm honestly used to a constant level of discomfort. this morning i completely threw out my back by doing the tiniest movement, and then i had a cow lab all morning and now it hurts no matter what i do. living like this makes me so exhausted and i just wish i had a way to fix it:dead:

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
So class president just decided to pick a speaker for graduation instead of letting us vote on it as a class...so thats cool. I'm not salty and passive aggressive at all. Literally the one graduation I have ever cared about. I get covid has messed alot of things up but could have at least given options or explained the situation to everyone before just making a blanket decision.

• Care
So class president just decided to pick a speaker for graduation instead of letting us vote on it as a class...so thats cool. I'm not salty and passive aggressive at all. Literally the one graduation I have ever cared about. I get covid has messed alot of things up but could have at least given options or explained the situation to everyone before just making a blanket decision.
Uhhhhh what? How is that even a thing? And what justification did they give for it?

Planned our 10 year reunion for high school. No one else stepped up, so I was like sure. Planned to coordinate during homecoming 2020. Covid happened. Fair fair. The original plan was to do a hangout at the local reservoir for a Saturday. Literally 10 times as many people voted for this compared to going to bars. This is important.

For the delayed reunion, I told people in May that we would be doing the exactly same thing. People were totally cool with this. I update in July it will be homecoming weekend again. No complaints. I update them when the high school updated me in August. They had over a month and a half of notice. Everyone is happy.

This last week was homecoming. Monday, I come home to posts complaining 2011 went to a bar with a $25 cover and we should do that. A friend gets a hold of a bar willing to take 60+ people with 3 days notice, but require the money up front. I announce this, tell people to venmo me. Only 3 people did. So I say good luck. Show up and if they have space, they have space.

Today was the reunion. People complained there was no notice, it was poorly planned, etc. One dude mistakenly texted me that he was effing salty, texted whoops, and then deleted the message.

This is really just to express how annoying people are. This was fully planned for a full year with regular updates. People need reading comprehension skills and a planner. They're planning a "redo". Good luck! Cause yall will learn 4 days notice isn't enough time to reserve most bars in our area. (Picture me heavily sarcastic with a "bless your heart" southern smile).

• Care
Sorry it’s been so frustrating bats! I didn’t plan my reunion, but it played out fairly similarly. The organizers proposed a plan, people didn’t like it, they came up with a plan B but when they asked for people to pay only a couple did so they cancelled the whole thing and we didn’t have one. Said they’d try again in another 5-10 years.

Yeah, I avoided my 10 year high school reunion with a like 50 foot pole. No thanks. My 20 year will be in less than 5 years, I'll probably avoid that one too.

That sucks with all the effort you put in. Next time I’d just say “Hey Brad, we’ve been planning to go to the reservoir for over a year and we’re going to stick to that plan. It’s cool if you want to plan the bar get together though!” Because I’m passive aggressive and we all know Brad isn’t going to plan anything.

Reactions: 9 users
Because I’m passive aggressive and we all know Brad isn’t going to plan anything.
This is pretty much where I'm at. The person who posted the redo poll messaged me to pin it to the top of the Facebook page. I told them no; if they want to plan a redo reunion, they can start from scratch like I did.

I appreciate it guys. <3

• Care