RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my godddddd I love it

IMG_1885.jpg

And this is my fat spoiled kitty who I have tried to make my parents put on a diet but they say she begs too much and they feel bad so she pretty much just free feeds.
Literally the first words out of my mouth when I got home were “WHY IS MY CAT SO FAT?!”

Reactions: 7 users
View attachment 241927

And this is my fat spoiled kitty who I have tried to make my parents put on a diet but they say she begs too much and they feel bad so she pretty much just free feeds.
Literally the first words out of my mouth when I got home were “WHY IS MY CAT SO FAT?!”
Hahahaha
She looks happy to have you home though! And she has a cute face

Reactions: 2 users
Temple Grandin is cool and all but holy **** your hair is like what I want mine to do in my wildest dreams that I know will never happen. Gorgeous.
OH MY GOODNESS THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! It literally took me nearly 20 years to figure out how to make my hair passable :p So, my secret is (and please don't let anyone be weirded out by this) to not wash it too frequently (like maybe 1x/week, obviously more if it smells, but mine takes a while to actually get greasy), when you get out of the shower, don't dry it with any heat, keep using a towel. Then, comb your hair with a wide-tooth comb!!! No brushing!!! Once you have successfully detangled your hair, then put it in a regular braid (not too tightly and not too loosely) and sleep on it :) (Note: I take showers at night so this routine probably wouldn't work in the morning). Literally, I've been loving my hair more and more lately because it's finally cooperating!!! :biglove:

Reactions: 1 users
OH MY GOODNESS THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! It literally took me nearly 20 years to figure out how to make my hair passable :p So, my secret is (and please don't let anyone be weirded out by this) to not wash it too frequently (like maybe 1x/week, obviously more if it smells, but mine takes a while to actually get greasy), when you get out of the shower, don't dry it with any heat, keep using a towel. Then, comb your hair with a wide-tooth comb!!! No brushing!!! Once you have successfully detangled your hair, then put it in a regular braid (not too tightly and not too loosely) and sleep on it :) (Note: I take showers at night so this routine probably wouldn't work in the morning). Literally, I've been loving my hair more and more lately because it's finally cooperating!!! :biglove:
Curly hair magic :highfive:
I'm gonna walk away before I start going off on a hair care routine tangent. Once I get started I just don't stop.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my routine to a tee and mine doesn’t look that nice. Hrmph.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had really given up hope, but at the 11th hour (paperwork deadline is today!) my externship application for 4th year seems to have fallen into place. I just submitted my completed paperwork to the program office. Now to wait to see if it's approved, but all I can do is done. Totally was not expecting an email this morning from WCVM saying that I could come after all and giving me a choice of dates!

Reactions: 6 users
I had really given up hope, but at the 11th hour (paperwork deadline is today!) my externship application for 4th year seems to have fallen into place. I just submitted my completed paperwork to the program office. Now to wait to see if it's approved, but all I can do is done. Totally was not expecting an email this morning from WCVM saying that I could come after all and giving me a choice of dates!

That's awesome Squeak! I wish mine would come back. The clinic emailed me last week saying they would review my application and get back to me this week. Nada

That's awesome Squeak! I wish mine would come back. The clinic emailed me last week saying they would review my application and get back to me this week. Nada
Oh no, fingers crossed that it still works out for you!! I was trying for two and still have echoing silence from the other one (after the doc there enthusiastically said she'd love to take me) but I'm still thrilled after completely giving up hope for any!

Obedience training with Sora is going great. Shes getting better at using training equipment and going through an agility tunnel
(Also added a picture of our first round of snow ⛄️⛄️)

im just really ready for more snow

Attachments

• E5F70FB8-02E9-4B23-91AF-C7C7F40B8F60.jpeg
    E5F70FB8-02E9-4B23-91AF-C7C7F40B8F60.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DE836895-8E34-4F90-A0CF-8CD5329E636C.jpeg
    DE836895-8E34-4F90-A0CF-8CD5329E636C.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: 7 users
My girl passed her Therapy Dog evaluation test! She received a complex rating. So proud of her and how far she has come. It is also her first gotcha day with me! Can't believe it's been a year already. She sure gives me a reason to put my head down and keep on studying.
Faline therapy 1.jpg
Faline therapy 2.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Obedience training with Sora is going great. Shes getting better at using training equipment and going through an agility tunnel
(Also added a picture of our first round of snow ⛄️⛄️)

im just really ready for more snow
My girl passed her Therapy Dog evaluation test! She received a complex rating. So proud of her and how far she has come. It is also her first gotcha day with me! Can't believe it's been a year already. She sure gives me a reason to put my head down and keep on studying. View attachment 242140 View attachment 242141
I LOVE THEM BOTH

I was offered a job for next semester as a physics LA (Learning Assistant) sort of like an undergrad helping the grad student TA or the professor. Why is this a rave. I hate physics! I did terrible in hs, I got an A but learned nothing, and only got a 2 on the AP exam. (Full disclosure, never studied because I knew I had to take it at my college because of the pre-vet requirement there for early admit). Right now I think I have the highest grade in my Physics 2 class (not calculus based) with a 106! So crazy. I got offered a summer job but it is unpaid. I'm holding out for a paid job a professor is working on for me.

NEED. So much need. Also congratulations

Waaannnnt.

It’s through Daily Steals via Facebook so hopefully not a scam(I’ve never used it but I think my bf has). They intermittently restock it cause it was sold out earlier and limit it one per account but it’s the best price. I was hoping for a bundle with a game but I have a gift card to target from getting this iPhone so I’ll just use that for the games. Zelda should be arriving this week though.

My application to adopt a dog got approved today!

Reactions: 11 users
Anyone know how to go through the process of changing the microchip ownership? I’m realizing that while Addy is mine, and she’s microchipped, she’s likely registered to the rescue she came from.

Here is a photo of her, as compensation for your help.

FAD1D4C6-1B8B-4A2F-8F25-0F1D9D638A94.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know how to go through the process of changing the microchip ownership? I’m realizing that while Addy is mine, and she’s microchipped, she’s likely registered to the rescue she came from.

If you know the microchip company (if you don't, you can find out by having her scanned and the numbers will be indicative of a certain company), you have to call them. They're likely going to charge you, though. There's usually a yearly fee of sorts. However, during this time of year they may have some deal going on.

Anyone know how to go through the process of changing the microchip ownership? I’m realizing that while Addy is mine, and she’s microchipped, she’s likely registered to the rescue she came from.[/ATTACH]
@cdoconn ...Addy is beautiful!

In addition to the comments provided by @sheltermed above, here is some AAHA information concerning pet microchips:

Microchip Search | AAHA Universal Pet Microchip Lookup

For example, if Addy has an AVID microchip, here are some FAQs concerning *how to* transfer ownership of a previously registered pet:

Frequently Asked Questions - Avid Identification Systems Inc.

Some chip companies don't charge if you have note from vet saying you are the new owner

Some companies don’t have a yearly fee! Can’t remember any of the others besides foundanimals.org, but there’s a handful.
HomeAgain has a yearly fee but you don’t actually have to pay it to be a functioning microchip!!

@cdoconn ...Addy is beautiful!

In addition to the comments provided by @sheltermed above, here is some AAHA information concerning pet microchips:

Microchip Search | AAHA Universal Pet Microchip Lookup

For example, if Addy has an AVID microchip, here are some FAQs concerning *how to* transfer ownership of a previously registered pet:

Frequently Asked Questions - Avid Identification Systems Inc.

This!! I was gonna suggest that site.

We use SaveThisPet and they don't have any fees. I like them.

I will say that the HomeAgain fee for their extra services is pretty reasonable. I think it's $25/year. When Winston got lost it was worth way more than that to be able to send out the 'lost dog' alert, print lost flyers, etc. I am pretty sure that they also give you "free" access to the ASPCA Pet Poison thing too. During my internship I called because one of my tech's dogs had eaten bromethalin rat bait and they said it was free because she had a HomeAgain chip...I don't know 100% if that's still a benefit but I think it is.

I will say that the HomeAgain fee for their extra services is pretty reasonable. I think it's $25/year. When Winston got lost it was worth way more than that to be able to send out the 'lost dog' alert, print lost flyers, etc. I am pretty sure that they also give you "free" access to the ASPCA Pet Poison thing too. During my internship I called because one of my tech's dogs had eaten bromethalin rat bait and they said it was free because she had a HomeAgain chip...I don't know 100% if that's still a benefit but I think it is.
Pretty sure home again allows you to sign up for this the moment the pet goes missing, if so, no reason to pay until that actually happens.

Side note: You can also register most MCs with any company, but then when Tina tech scans it, looks up the microchip maker, she's not going to know to call savethispet for the owner info, she's just going to see it as possibly unregistered because the companies don't all communicate with each other

Side note: You can also register most MCs with any company, but then when Tina tech scans it, looks up the microchip maker, she's not going to know to call savethispet for the owner info, she's just going to see it as possibly unregistered because the companies don't all communicate with each other
My vet has always used the AAHA microchip lookup site and that shows where it’s registered (and I think when it was last updated?) and who made it. So a third party site that’s free isn’t necessarily a bad thing. There’s a bunch of databases the AAHA site searches, so I would think that Tina Tech would use that versus trying to figure out who made the chip since AAHA will tell you both the maker and where it’s registered.

My vet has always used the AAHA microchip lookup site and that shows where it’s registered (and I think when it was last updated?) and who made it. So a third party site that’s free isn’t necessarily a bad thing. There’s a bunch of databases the AAHA site searches, so I would think that Tina Tech would use that versus trying to figure out who made the chip since AAHA will tell you both the maker and where it’s registered.
Yeah we always would look here. If it wasn’t registered anywhere, then we’d call clinics near by (most cats that were brought to us were from the neighborhood we were in and there was a few others) and have them look in their system.

Definitely make sure you get her chip registered to you Cdo! It’s the owners responsbility to update it, and some people don’t realize they need to and it sucks finding a chip but not having anywhere to connect to it :(

Yeah we always would look here. If it wasn’t registered anywhere, then we’d call clinics near by (most cats that were brought to us were from the neighborhood we were in and there was a few others) and have them look in their system.

Definitely make sure you get her chip registered to you Cdo! It’s the owners responsbility to update it, and some people don’t realize they need to and it sucks finding a chip but not having anywhere to connect to it :(
I’m fairly sure the company can usually look up who that chip was sold to (like which humane society/animal control/rescue/vets office) and then they can be contacted to figure out who the owner is, since they should have a record of the chip number in their system.

I’m fairly sure the company can usually look up who that chip was sold to (like which humane society/animal control/rescue/vets office) and then they can be contacted to figure out who the owner is, since they should have a record of the chip number in their system.
They can in theory, but it can be a hassle to get that info. And then it depends on if the place that sound it recorded the info in their system.

Basically, just register it yourself to make sure haha

They can in theory, but it can be a hassle to get that info. And then it depends on if the place that sound it recorded the info in their system.

Basically, just register it yourself to make sure haha
Oh definitely. I was just saying it was possible even if it’s a big hassle as a last ditch effort. And every place SHOULD be recording the chip number when they use it. But like if they didn’t and the company calls and is like “we have a grey tabby DSH that has a chip sold to your practice” you could at least narrow it down and be like “it could be this cat this cat or this cat because we don’t have chip numbers on file for them”

I did my first solo pyo last night (second ever) and was feeling like a baller already because it went without a hitch and was pretty speedy. The owners came to pick up today and CRIED while thanking me in the lobby (and asked me a ton of impressively thoughtful questions about pyometras and canine repro in general) and then apparently asked one of the techs what I like so they can get me a gift card. And while they were literally weeping at me, my pancreatitis that I admitted on Sunday was being discharged and HER owner came over and hugged me and thanked me and it was just a really great 5 minutes of feeling like I am good at things and yeah.

tl;dr - I made some clients REAL happy and it made me feel like a gangsta

Reactions: 20 users
I've had the dog for ~2 hours now and he's already right at home. Strangely enough, he snuggled up between me and the back of the couch like my other dog always would. It's like she told him to pick up where she left off. He's doing great with the cats as well.

He's currently next to me on the couch, snoring away. I was worried about my jumping into getting a new dog so soon after I lost my dog, but this feels right.

Reactions: 13 users
I've had the dog for ~2 hours now and he's already right at home. Strangely enough, he snuggled up between me and the back of the couch like my other dog always would. It's like she told him to pick up where she left off. He's doing great with the cats as well.

He's currently next to me on the couch, snoring away. I was worried about my jumping into getting a new dog so soon after I lost my dog, but this feels right.
My first cat lived to be 20. She was amazing and when she meowed, it sounded like she was trying to say my name. We had a bond that I don’t expect to have with any other animal as long as I live. When she died, I felt so guilty for wanting another cat.

I was talking to my one friend about it and she told me I was thinking about it all wrong. She asked what I would want for my cat if I had passed away first; obviously I’d want someone else to take care of her. Well, my cat likely felt the same way. She wanted another cat to come take care of me, because I wasn’t taking care of her, she was taking care of me. And that cat really did feel that way. She knew I needed another cat (or 3) to take care of me.

Never feel guilty for the amount of time it takes you to acquire another pet after a loss.

Reactions: 21 users
My first cat lived to be 20. She was amazing and when she meowed, it sounded like she was trying to say my name. We had a bond that I don’t expect to have with any other animal as long as I live. When she died, I felt so guilty for wanting another cat.

I was talking to my one friend about it and she told me I was thinking about it all wrong. She asked what I would want for my cat if I had passed away first; obviously I’d want someone else to take care of her. Well, my cat likely felt the same way. She wanted another cat to come take care of me, because I wasn’t taking care of her, she was taking care of me. And that cat really did feel that way. She knew I needed another cat (or 3) to take care of me.

Never feel guilty for the amount of time it takes you to acquire another pet after a loss.
This is such a lovely way to look at it :)

Reactions: 3 users

They do indeed give you free access to ASPCA poison control. Unfortunately learned that the hard way...:oops:

You're amazing. This was exactly what I needed to hear.

Reactions: 4 users