RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I did the thing. No quoting pls

Dibs on being the inspiration for his nickname.

Congrats KC!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was going to post in the WW game thread since I mostly only interact with those people, but don't want to clog the thread.

But my hubs and I achieved a goal of ours that I thought would take a lot longer to reach. After such a monumental 2017 (vet school graduation, our wedding, ending our 5 yr long distance relationship), 2018 was kind of a boring year of hustle, grind, and penny pinching. It feels so nice to finally get out of my 92yr old grandfather's basement but so thankful he let us stay here for free while we were saving. Does this mean I have to like...start having babies or something, because this thing is too big for just our kitties ;)

please dont quote the pic, gonna delete in a bit
poof

Last edited:
Reactions: 26 users
Was going to post in the WW game thread since I mostly only interact with those people, but don't want to clog the thread.

But my hubs and I achieved a goal of ours that I thought would take a lot longer to reach. After such a monumental 2017 (vet school graduation, our wedding, ending our 5 yr long distance relationship), 2018 was kind of a boring year of hustle, grind, and penny pinching. It feels so nice to finally get out of my 92yr old grandfather's basement but so thankful he let us stay here for free while we were saving. Does this mean I have to like...start having babies or something, because this thing is too big for just our kitties ;)
AW ITS A CUTE HOUSE AND YOU GUYS ARE ALSO CUTE. CONGRATS ALLIE AND MR. ALLIE!!!!!!!

The home is gorgeous - and you two love birds are adorable - congratulations on your new home! It's beautiful! :)

please dont quote the pic, gonna delete in a bit
OMG! That house is perfect! And you are so adorbs! My first allieh sighting! :love:

Reactions: 1 user
I had resolved to not check my grades unless our counselor emailed me the "how are you doing?" email she only sends when you did poorly grades wise. We got our grades back on the 26th or 27th of December and I didn't hear from her all break. I was like, "You know, she could just be on vacay because there's hardly any students there, we'll wait to be confident till school starts," to avoid any false hope. Class started Monday and didn't hear from her and didn't hear from her yesterday, so I was feeling pretty good about it! Then got the email this morning and I am so disappointed.

I've tried every type of study system I can think of over since first year 1.0. I went to lectures and took direct notes, I didn't go to class and just studied off the given notes and listened to lecture/emailed if I had a question. I've tried outlines, flashcards, writing out notes, typing out notes, looking at lectures before class, study groups, study alone, reading out loud, reading silently, doing the lecture objectives. I don't know what else I can try. It's aggravating to only have two tests per quarter to know whether or not a system works, and then those tests are 30-45% of your grade for that quarter. So if you biff midterms, it makes the final that much harder.

If anyone has any study suggestions, I'm open for anything except really group study cause every time I try that with literally anyone, it turns into a social session and nothing gets done. I'm not worried about our milestone cause the pass threshold is a 60% and I have never been that low. But I need a 70% for the year and it's been a ****show apparently. I'm meeting the counselor on Friday, but will take any advice.

Update on the above shenanigans.

Went to the meeting on Tuesday. Started with the generic, "How were the holidays/birthdays now your sister isn't here?" sort of deal. So started off depressing. Not a lot of hope for a positive note. Keep going. Talked about coping and such. Yadayadayada.

Get to the grades and tell her I don't even know where I stand. She's like, "OH let me tell you. Yeah, you aren't one of our red flags."

"Excuse me?"

"Yeah, you ended last quarter with a 71.93%."

Let me tell you, the sweet bliss of relief was amazing.

When it was all said and done, I'm still technically sitting at a 69.79, but need a 71.05 next quarter to pass the year (aiming for a 74% for wiggle room purposes). I increased my testing grade from midterm to final by 11.5%. One of my best test grades in vet school and my second best quarter.

So I did figure out what I'm doing and she just wanted to meet to make sure I'm feeling okay about school and to establish a plan for next quarter. My mom almost cried on the phone. Lol

Reactions: 25 users

Went to the meeting on Tuesday. Started with the generic, "How were the holidays/birthdays now your sister isn't here?" sort of deal. So started off depressing. Not a lot of hope for a positive note. Keep going. Talked about coping and such. Yadayadayada.

Get to the grades and tell her I don't even know where I stand. She's like, "OH let me tell you. Yeah, you aren't one of our red flags."

"Excuse me?"

When it was all said and done, I'm still technically sitting at a 69.79, but need a 71.05 next quarter to pass the year (aiming for a 74% for wiggle room purposes). I increased my testing grade from midterm to final by 11.5%. One of my best test grades in vet school and my second best quarter.

So I did figure out what I'm doing and she just wanted to meet to make sure I'm feeling okay about school and to establish a plan for next quarter. My mom almost cried on the phone. Lol
Aww bats I’m so glad you got good news! It’s so nice to see your hard work is paying off!

"Excuse me?"

I’m gonna say it again, but IM SO PROUD OF YOU BATS!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT. :soexcited::soexcited::love::love::biglove::biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m in Boston rn about to fly to philly and there is white stuff on the ground and it’s raining and I MISS WEATHER SO MUCH AND I REALLY WANT TO MOVE TO THE EAST COAST

Reactions: 5 users
I’m in Boston rn about to fly to philly and there is white stuff on the ground and it’s raining and I MISS WEATHER SO MUCH AND I REALLY WANT TO MOVE TO THE EAST COAST

Ok. Downside to weather: delays

Reactions: 4 users

"Excuse me?"

That is wonderful news! Honestly, I'm not sure how you got through the last few months after losing your sister. I lost my cousin traumatically a few months ago as well, and it still affects my performance in clinics from time to time. So many hugs and love sent your way. I hope you kick butt this next term! From experience, you can definitely come back from this.

Reactions: 6 users

East coast is the best coast

East coast is the best coast
east coast is the beast coast :p

Ok. Downside to weather: delays
tenor.gif

Reactions: 3 users
One of my best-friend guy pals is leaving the "real world" to hike the Pacific Crest Trail, beginning in March. He has been saving his money so that all of his expenses at home are covered while he is absent for six months.

We've hiked together in the High Sierras but I cannot leave the real world for 6 months, so he is hiking the PCT solo.

Lucky guy!!!

Sierra Hiking.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
One of my best-friend guy pals is leaving the "real world" to hike the Pacific Crest Trail, beginning in March. He has been saving his money so that all of his expenses at home are covered while he is absent for six months.

We've hiked together in the High Sierras but I cannot leave the real world for 6 months, so he is hiking the PCT solo.

Lucky guy!!!

Taking time off to hike for a while would be a dream come true. A friend of mine took a year to go to a ton of national parks and his pictures are fantastic.

Boyfriend has start referring to things in the future as “our” kitchen or “our” home gym and it makes me smile more than I have in a longgggg time. I have plans to move up towards him within the next year since we currently still live like 1.25 hours apart and kind of can’t wait even though it means leaving my work friends.

"Excuse me?"

I realize that I'm a couple of days late, but just wanted to say that I'm really proud of you, girl. :)

Today was a good day! I did well on my test which was a bonus, but honestly the day was made without that. My lab I worked in over the summer hung my poster of my summer research project, and I did a happy dance when I saw it (thankfully no one was there to witness). My mentor from last year said my project for this year should be super fun! Which was extremely heartening because 1) she's also helping on the project this year but isn't the main mentor and B) because it hasn't been funded yet and if she thinks it's super cool then I feel way better about my chances. Then I had some excellent times with some excellent friends and was super productive. Today is a good day. It's not much but it's the little things that keep you going. :D

Reactions: 9 users
Today was a good day! I did well on my test which was a bonus, but honestly the day was made without that. My lab I worked in over the summer hung my poster of my summer research project, and I did a happy dance when I saw it (thankfully no one was there to witness). My mentor from last year said my project for this year should be super fun! Which was extremely heartening because 1) she's also helping on the project this year but isn't the main mentor and B) because it hasn't been funded yet and if she thinks it's super cool then I feel way better about my chances. Then I had some excellent times with some excellent friends and was super productive. Today is a good day. It's not much but it's the little things that keep you going. :D
That's great news ... hoping you have many more good days! :cat:

It’s my birthday and even though I turn 26 and going into free state insurance on Friday, life is awesome!!!!
-I got into Penn and I’m almost positive that’s where I’ll be going in the fall. I loved everything about it!!!!! I’m waitlisted at Cornell and I’m going to their info session on feb to see the campus, but it would take a lot to change my mind from Penn!
-I got the call from Penn yesterday (day before my birthday) and it was the best birthday present ever!
-I just had my follow up appointment with my oncologist to go over my last MRI. He told me that if this one was clear, it would be my last MRI I needed to get. ITS CLEAR AND I NEVER NEED TO GET ANOTHER MRI! :D also the best birthday present ever!!!!
-since I’m changing insurance (to really crappy insurance) i asked my oncologist if he’d be willing to write me a script for my meds while I was there and he did so now I don’t have to worry about finding a new doc who will prescribe my meds for me for a little over a month.
YAYAYYYYYAAAAYYYYY HAPPY BIRD-DAY TO MEEEE

Edited to add: now I’m so excited to go back to my apartment and go sleep holy crap I’m tired. It’s like my brain was like “welp, that’s all done and I’m healthy. Time to shut down....”

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users
It’s my birthday and even though I turn 26 and going into free state insurance on Friday, life is awesome!!!!
-I got into Penn and I’m almost positive that’s where I’ll be going in the fall. I loved everything about it!!!!! I’m waitlisted at Cornell and I’m going to their info session on feb to see the campus, but it would take a lot to change my mind from Penn!
-I got the call from Penn yesterday (day before my birthday) and it was the best birthday present ever!
-I just had my follow up appointment with my oncologist to go over my last MRI. He told me that if this one was clear, it would be my last MRI I needed to get. ITS CLEAR AND I NEVER NEED TO GET ANOTHER MRI! :D also the best birthday present ever!!!!
-since I’m changing insurance (to really crappy insurance) i asked my oncologist if he’d be willing to write me a script for my meds while I was there and he did so now I don’t have to worry about finding a new doc who will prescribe my meds for me for a little over a month.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :biglove:
and yay! that's all awesome! Congrats on like everything haha

Edited to add: now I’m so excited to go back to my apartment and go sleep holy crap I’m tired. It’s like my brain was like “welp, that’s all done and I’m healthy. Time to shut down....”
CONGRATS! and happy birthday! I'm so happy for you! If you do matriculate to Penn, myself and a bunch of other SDN'rs will be around to properly welcome you to Philly not that, that should influence your decision ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So like this is a DEFINITE rave. I honestly didn’t think I would get in to any schools because this was my first time applying. Not only did I get into one school, I got in to EVERY SINGLE school I applied to and I just want to bawl my eyes out because I am so excited and just like honored. Throughout this entire experience I kept telling myself to not let my hopes get up, but now I can just like breathe and relax.... but also like now I have to make a decision and I really don’t know what to do. Lol. But I’m still so floored and just totally excited.

Reactions: 6 users
So like this is a DEFINITE rave. I honestly didn’t think I would get in to any schools because this was my first time applying. Not only did I get into one school, I got in to EVERY SINGLE school I applied to and I just want to bawl my eyes out because I am so excited and just like honored. Throughout this entire experience I kept telling myself to not let my hopes get up, but now I can just like breathe and relax.... but also like now I have to make a decision and I really don’t know what to do. Lol. But I’m still so floored and just totally excited.
645D3FD5-39EA-47E3-87CE-6062835837DB.jpeg

Reactions: 11 users

@grebes4lyfe thanks for sharing your good news!

Congrats on receiving a great health report and your acceptance to Penn! Happy Bday, too! :)

I've been trying to schedule time for short workouts (30-45 minutes) a few times a week because it really helps me destress, and I've actually been sticking to it! And enjoying it! I haven't been the best at self-care during my curriculum but I feel like this is really making a difference for me.

I have the approximate fitness of a sea cucumber right now, but that doesn't matter because I work out at home where no one sees the struggle.

Reactions: 9 users
I've been trying to schedule time for short workouts (30-45 minutes) a few times a week because it really helps me destress, and I've actually been sticking to it! And enjoying it! I haven't been the best at self-care during my curriculum but I feel like this is really making a difference for me.

I have the approximate fitness of a sea cucumber right now, but that doesn't matter because I work out at home where no one sees the struggle.
Short periods of stretching are also great!

A patient who is recovering from recent surgery has a sweet little companion dog.

The dog is wearing all-weather booties to protect his paws and K9 Optix tinted glasses.

The dog seems to like his tinted glasses. If someone tries to move the glasses away from the dog's face, the dog uses his two front paws to promptly push the glasses back over his eyes.

I am happy to report patient and doggie are both doing well! :)

Dog1.jpg
Dog2.jpg

Reactions: 17 users
My boyfriend got accepted to his first choice grad school! :biglove: He's going for an MS/PhD in physics and this is one of the best physics grad programs in the country. It's within ~30 minutes driving from where I live, and they offered him a pretty hefty financial aid package. Full tuition remission, a TA or RA position, and a one-time $3k scholarship. And they offered to fly him up to visit the campus during my spring break so I get to see him in March. :love: (Technically I get to see him twice in March because another school near me also offered him a campus visit.)

Reactions: 10 users
Finished up the selection process for our fourth year rotations last night. It's still officially tentative, but I'm pretty happy with how things turned out for me :)

Reactions: 5 users
We got a huge amount of ice last night, and our street’s are not designed well enough to handle huge amounts of ice, so they closed the campus!

So I’ve been sick all weekend which is sad. But I’ve been watching stuff on Netflix and Hulu, and realized I totally never watched the Taylor Swift concert movie thing she made for the newest tour which I went to. And so I started watching and realized even tho there are things I don’t like that’s she’s done in her past or something, that I can’t hate her.

So basically I’ve realized I’m a member of her cult and I have no regrets. Also this movie is pretty cool. So two raves.

So I’ve been sick all weekend which is sad. But I’ve been watching stuff on Netflix and Hulu, and realized I totally never watched the Taylor Swift concert movie thing she made for the newest tour which I went to. And so I started watching and realized even tho there are things I don’t like that’s she’s done in her past or something, that I can’t hate her.

So basically I’ve realized I’m a member of her cult and I have no regrets. Also this movie is pretty cool. So two raves.
@SkiOtter was going to watch that too! I loved it!!!! So great! 100% cried during All Too Well, because who doesn’t??

@SkiOtter was going to watch that too! I loved it!!!! So great! 100% cried during All Too Well, because who doesn’t??
OMG I HAVENT GOTTEN TO THAT PART?!? She didn’t sing All Too Well at our show, I forgot my expert on all things Taylor Swift told me afterwards that she did sing it at other shows, she sang The Lucky One instead. Bc I think she changed up the acoustic song at every show, but I think All Too Well she performed at several stops on the tour.

Lol yes I just found an article talking about the top ten ones she did on the tour and Change was up there and she hadn’t played it since a one off time in Greensboro, NC aka the show I was present for. Ugh. So fabulous, we felt so special when she sang that.
00353DC5-F3BF-470F-A001-0EF494B6C1EB.png

IM SO SAD I WASNT ABLE TO GO TO HER SHOW IN DETROIT THIS YEAR. IT WAS THE THIRD DAY OF CLASS AND A WEDNESDAY AND 6+ HOURS FROM SCHOOL.
Also I am so sorry. Bc I have been reading all the surprise songs she did acoustic this tour. Which I shouldn’t Bc it’s making me sad. But she sang Jump then Fall at that concert!!!! And like ughhh she sang a song from the Platinum Fearless album.

Also tho I appreciate she wanted to do a stadium tour but she also left a lotta states out of that and made trips for folks like ten times longer just to see her. So hopefully she doesn’t do that again right away.