RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly this breeder conversation really boils down to the ~1-5% of breeders in the world are considered 'responsible' and even that percentage some of them may even have ridiculous recommendations/contracts. The VAST majority of breeders GP's interact with are horrible, don't follow recommendations and do not want to listen to our suggestions for improvement. However, those few good ones make things so much better! I am 110% willing to work with a breeder who wants to follow my recommendations. In addition, I am not going to follow any breeder contract just for the sake of following it. I will make my recommendations based on science and my knowledge of vet med. Contracts generally do not hold up, anyway. If the asking is not unreasonable, sure, but I agree with what @Trilt stated.
I also feel like I'm still one of the few dvms nowadays who has a conversation about spay/neuter timing and how that can differ on breed, etc. I tailor that conversation to each individual client/pet and still always leave that choice up to the owner.
*Disclaimer- therio is my jam, I love working with reputable breeders, I wish I could do more repro work!

Members don't see this ad.

We’re currently looking to get a puppy from a wonderful breeder later this year. All the correct health/genetic testing, puppies are raised with so much attention to detail and love. It’s been a lot of fun to watch her raise her current litter because she’s really active on Facebook. Most of her contract is pretty reasonable and doesn’t make me roll my eyes too much...but there’s also one line about recommending against the lepto vaccine and it frightens me to think about all the dogs not getting lepto vaccines because breeders said it was bad.
Same. I have been on a wait list for about 8 months for a wonderful breeder of a rare breed. The puppies should be born in about a week. My family can’t comprehend why it’s taking so long...they’re used to the “find a byb online or your buddy in town that has two intact dogs and had an oops litter or wants to show kids the meaning of life” style of puppies. They have given me lots of crap for what I’m spending (and they don’t even know the actual amount!) and how long it’s taken. They also can’t imagine traveling all the way to New York for a puppy but hey. This breeder is a retired tech from Cornell and has done even more health testing than the breed club requires, has titled parents, is very picky on who even gets on her wait list, does all the puppy raising things (ENS, puppy culture, etc.)...all the things I want in my next dog. The fact that I can’t tell my family for sure that I’m actually getting a puppy from this litter and that the breeder gets to pick which one I do get based upon my wants and puppy personality matches blows their mind because they have always picked themselves based on color and gender. Our contract for this puppy basically boils down to keep them healthy and do what your vet says, keep id on them, if there’s an issue contact her immediately, she’ll take back for life if you can’t keep it, etc. She asks for spay/neuter at 18 months which is longer than I’d probably wait since these are smaller dogs (25-35 lbs), but I don’t think it’s unreasonable.

Reactions: 3 users
When the recommendation is perfectly reasonable (as it was in the case that kicked off this whole conversation), I don't think the automatic response should be to ignore the breeder. I actually liked @ajs513 response which essentially boiled down to "opinions vary in vet med, there is a school of thought that later neutering may be better, discuss with your vet but this is not a crazy suggestion from your breeder".

I'm not really sure how that turned into people (seemingly) concerned that I was saying to defer to the breeder no matter how ridiculous.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious if contracts that cover joint health also stipulate that the dog has to be an ideal BCS as well, or if that part of the contract is void if the dog is overweight/obese. Not sure if anyone even knows that and I imagine it varies but would be interested to know!

I am curious if contracts that cover joint health also stipulate that the dog has to be an ideal BCS as well, or if that part of the contract is void if the dog is overweight/obese. Not sure if anyone even knows that and I imagine it varies but would be interested to know!

They usually specify inherited issues. While obesity typically isn't explicitly written in, you could effectively invalidate the guarantee by having an obese dog.

Reactions: 1 users
She asks for spay/neuter at 18 months which is longer than I’d probably wait since these are smaller dogs (25-35 lbs), but I don’t think it’s unreasonable.
Did she give reasoning for that? Again just curious, I haven't really seen that recommendation much for dogs under 45lbs or so. Probably doesn't matter much for males from a medical standpoint but I'm curious about the rationale when you're risking missing the window of sparing effect for mammary cancer. Unless it's just never really seen in the breed.

Did she give reasoning for that? Again just curious, I haven't really seen that recommendation much for dogs under 45lbs or so. Probably doesn't matter much for males from a medical standpoint but I'm curious about the rationale when you're risking missing the window of sparing effect for mammary cancer. Unless it's just never really seen in the breed.
It just says she doesn’t consider a dog fully developed and mature until that age, so probably just her preference. When we first discussed her litter plans she mentioned that her females usually only cycle once every 9-12 months so even waiting 18 is usually just one heat cycle, maybe two. It’s a small breed in the US still so not a ton of historic health data but I’ve read recent health surveys from the US, UK and some other country I can’t remember the name of and the main health issues are skin and eyes with epilepsy in a few lines too (epilepsy not as common in the US). They found a genetic test for the glaucoma so even that isn’t as much of a concern as long as the parents have been tested negative. None of the surveys had mammary neoplasia listed as a specific condition reported...most of the neoplasms were skin tumors and a couple hemangiosarcomas. So while I wouldn’t say it isn’t a concern, doesn’t seem to be a huge historic issue in the populations filling out the survey?

Last edited:
It just says she doesn’t consider a dog fully developed and mature until that age, so probably just her preference. When we first discussed her litter plans she mentioned that her females usually only cycle once every 9-12 months so even waiting 18 is usually just one heat cycle, maybe two. It’s a small breed in the US still so not a ton of historic health data but I’ve read recent health surveys from the US, UK and some other country I can’t remember the name of and the main health issues are skin and eyes with epilepsy in a few lines too (epilepsy not as common in the US). They found a genetic test for the glaucoma so even that isn’t as much of a concern as long as the parents have been tested negative. None of the surveys had mammary neoplasia listed as a specific condition reported...most of the neoplasms were skin tumors and a couple hemangiosarcomas. So while I wouldn’t say it isn’t a concern, doesn’t seem to be a huge historic issue in the populations filling out the survey?
I was wondering whether they also just cycle less often, that makes sense

Same. I have been on a wait list for about 8 months for a wonderful breeder of a rare breed. The puppies should be born in about a week. My family can’t comprehend why it’s taking so long...they’re used to the “find a byb online or your buddy in town that has two intact dogs and had an oops litter or wants to show kids the meaning of life” style of puppies. They have given me lots of crap for what I’m spending (and they don’t even know the actual amount!) and how long it’s taken. They also can’t imagine traveling all the way to New York for a puppy but hey. This breeder is a retired tech from Cornell and has done even more health testing than the breed club requires, has titled parents, is very picky on who even gets on her wait list, does all the puppy raising things (ENS, puppy culture, etc.)...all the things I want in my next dog. The fact that I can’t tell my family for sure that I’m actually getting a puppy from this litter and that the breeder gets to pick which one I do get based upon my wants and puppy personality matches blows their mind because they have always picked themselves based on color and gender. Our contract for this puppy basically boils down to keep them healthy and do what your vet says, keep id on them, if there’s an issue contact her immediately, she’ll take back for life if you can’t keep it, etc. She asks for spay/neuter at 18 months which is longer than I’d probably wait since these are smaller dogs (25-35 lbs), but I don’t think it’s unreasonable.

I feel this. This waitlist I’m on is very much for the idea of a puppy. Not one that has yet to be conceived lol. Some contracts are reallllllly out there, but this one isn’t too bad. There’s a spay neuter clause for between 1 and 2 years which I find reasonable for my breed. I think for me personally, Ill probably spay this next dog after 1 heat cycle to get a balance between hormones, growth, and mammary tumor risk (because who knows what the best answer is lol!). She posts all these videos of her ENS/ puppy culture routines with her current litter and it just makes my soul happy because I just know they’re getting the best possible start.

I roll my eyes at things that some breeders do but the truly excellent ones are just amazing.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel this. This waitlist I’m on is very much for the idea of a puppy. Not one that has yet to be conceived lol. Some contracts are reallllllly out there, but this one isn’t too bad. There’s a spay neuter clause for between 1 and 2 years which I find reasonable for my breed. I think for me personally, Ill probably spay this next dog after 1 heat cycle to get a balance between hormones, growth, and mammary tumor risk (because who knows what the best answer is lol!). She posts all these videos of her ENS/ puppy culture routines with her current litter and it just makes my soul happy because I just know they’re getting the best possible start.

I roll my eyes at things that some breeders do but the truly excellent ones are just amazing.
What breed are you on a wait list for? :)

Thank you guys for all of the information, I did not know about the recommendations for later neutering on large breeds, like labs; that is why it struck me as strange. Otherwise, the contract was straightforward. The breeder has a good reputation; both parents are show dogs, with champions in the blood line, too. (I apologize, I don't remember the correct terms..) Definitely not a byb!

I’m sure my enthusiasm will be short-lived, but I just saw snow falling for the first time!!!!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
I’m sure my enthusiasm will be short-lived, but I just saw snow falling for the first time!!!!
I remember this! I thought it was fun for two minutes and then ran back inside because I hate being cold :laugh: my cat had basically the same response to snow

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember this! I thought it was fun for two minutes and then ran back inside because I hate being cold :laugh: my cat had basically the same response to snow
One of my fingers is still numb from picking up snow without gloves... there's so much for me to learn!! :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
One of my fingers is still numb from picking up snow without gloves... there's so much for me to learn!! :lol:
(Almost) All of my Collected Snow Wisdom:
  • Wear layers
  • Remember snow will make you wet so try to remember to stay dry too
  • Those leather jumper boots that every girl owns. Those ones. You know them. Put them back in your closet so you don't give people like me the joy of watching you slip and fall on your ass when you realize that it's a bad idea to wear shoes with no tread on ice
  • Don't forget to defrost your windshield. Yes, I know your hands are cold because your windshield is getting all the heat. This is considered a tragic design flaw by me too.
  • If your car is lightweight like mine, some heavy kitty litter in the trunk can help stop you from fishtailing so much. Also good in a pinch if you get stuck in snow as you can put some under your tires for traction. When you are extremely desperate, you can also use it as cat litter for you cat
  • Keep some granola bars, gloves, a hat, and blankets in your car for winter
  • Nobody knows how to drive in snow. Not even those people who say they've lived in snow their entire lives. Everyone is stupid as soon as snow is on the ground and you need to treat them like it when you drive
  • When it's snowing really hard at night while you're driving it kind of looks like when they punch it to lightspeed in the Millennium Falcon
  • You should get really really warm socks. I recommend some with sheep on them for no particular reason
  • You lose lots of heat through your head, wear a hat. Preferably one with little puffballs on them because they're fun
  • Watch March of the Penguins and study their gait. Penguins get it. That awkward terrible shuffly little gait they do where their feet move forward maybe an inch at a time and they mostly bob side to side? That gait will help you not slip and die on the ice. Follow the masters (please ignore the fact that penguins fall on ice a lot in these videos, that's because they're still penguins and they have limitations, okay?)
  • You're not better than gravity. You're going to fall. And it's going to suck. Quit feeling so superior to all those penguins
  • Snow makes everything quieter and it also makes it look really light out at night, even when it's midnight. Do not question the vibes because I don't know either
  • There's always gonna be some guy out there in basketball shorts and crocs where there's 6 feet of snow on the ground. Don't talk to him, but quietly wonder how disappointed his mother would be if she saw him right now

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users
  • Wear layers
  • Those leather jumper boots that every girl owns. Those ones. You know them. Put them back in your closet so you don't give people like me the joy of watching you slip and fall on your ass when you realize that it's a bad idea to wear shoes with no tread on ice
  • Don't forget to defrost your windshield. Yes, I know your hands are cold because your windshield is getting all the heat. This is considered a tragic design flaw by me too.
  • If your car is lightweight like mine, some heavy kitty litter in the trunk can help stop you from fishtailing so much. Also good in a pinch if you get stuck in snow as you can put some under your tires for traction. When you are extremely desperate, you can also use it as cat litter for you cat
  • Nobody knows how to drive in snow. Not even those people who say they've lived in snow their entire lives. Everyone is stupid as soon as snow is on the ground and you need to treat them like it when you drive
  • When it's snowing really hard at night while you're driving it kind of looks like when they punch it to lightspeed in the Millennium Falcon
  • You should get really really warm socks. I recommend some with sheep on them for no particular reason
  • You lose lots of heat through your head, wear a hat. Preferably one with little puffballs on them because they're fun
  • Watch March of the Penguins and study their gait. Penguins get it. That awkward terrible shuffly little gait they do where their feet move forward maybe an inch at a time and they mostly bob side to side? That gait will help you not slip and die on the ice. Follow the masters (please ignore the fact that penguins fall on ice a lot in these videos, that's because they're still penguins and they have limitations, okay?)
  • You're not better than gravity. You're going to fall. And it's going to suck. Quit feeling so superior to all those penguins
  • Snow makes everything quieter and it also makes it look really light out at night, even when it's midnight. Do not question the vibes because I don't know either
  • There's always gonna be some guy out there in basketball shorts and crocs where there's 6 feet of snow on the ground. Don't talk to him, but quietly wonder how disappointed his mother would be if she saw him right now
An alternate title to this is probably Snow Gothic lol

• Haha
  • Wear layers
You are an angel!! Also the last bullet point is 100% my disaster of a boyfriend who regaled me with the tale of his trip to NYC, where his impractical boat shoes got soaked through with snow, so he took them off and walked around barefoot in the snow for a while. Still surprised he has all of his toes tbh.

Reactions: 4 users
Legit was thinking about this on my drive today. Why is it split between the dashboard and feet not dashboard and upper body?
Ps this is my husband and brother. Just roll with it. I will never understand.

When it's snowing really hard at night while you're driving it kind of looks like when they punch it to lightspeed in the Millennium Falcon
The only redeeming quality of snow.

Otherwise, it sucks. Terrible. Needs ta go.

• Wear layers
I'm dead DEAD :roflcopter:

Also would like to add if for whatever reason you're driving in snow and you start to slide, DO NOT HIT THE BREAKS, let up off the gas, turn INTO the skid and wait for traction to come back... Yes you may end up off the road but that's usually what the open spaces are for and/or guard rails you shouldn't be going fast anyways you'll be fine

ALSO if you're driving in snow, lanes are not a thing anymore. You follow tire tracks. You go slower than a grandma who fell asleep at the wheel and if you get stuck you get stuck, people will go around don't freak out it happens.

While walking in snow, avoid large untouched areas. Why? They look pretty leave them that way.

Reactions: 11 users
Also would like to add if for whatever reason you're driving in snow and you start to slide, DO NOT HIT THE BREAKS, let up off the gas, turn INTO the skid and wait for traction to come back... Yes you may end up off the road but that's usually what the open spaces are for and/or guard rails you shouldn't be going fast anyways you'll be fine

ALSO if you're driving in snow, lanes are not a thing anymore. You follow tire tracks. You go slower than a grandma who fell asleep at the wheel and if you get stuck you get stuck, people will go around don't freak out it happens.

While walking in snow, avoid large untouched areas. Why? They look pretty leave them that way.
As an alternative, if you have lost control of your bowels and have no idea what the direction of the skid is, like me, just give up entirely and become one with the skid. It's a very similar approach in that you're at least not actively making things worse

• Haha
ALSO if you're driving in snow, lanes are not a thing anymore. You follow tire tracks.

This just reminds me of the time a few years ago I saw someone who apparently took the first part of this to heart (lanes are not a thing) but not the second (follow tire tracks). So he was literally driving down the middle of the whole road and was therefore half into the lanes going the opposite way.

• Wow
Exciting news! The pup we've been on the waitlist for about a year for is in the oven! Here's hoping for a healthy litter of at least 3 pups (I saw three on the ultrasound!) New CKCS puppy due next month! And golden puppy later this year is the hopes. My golden boy just finished his all his chemo sessions <3

Reactions: 9 users
Justine Lee (VetGirl) is an incredible speaker. She did a series of lecture for the SCVMA symposium this year and I’m finally getting around to watching them.

Hands down some of the best lectures I’ve seen and absolutely full of knowledge gems I intend to use down the road.

There's always gonna be some guy out there in basketball shorts and crocs where there's 6 feet of snow on the ground. Don't talk to him, but quietly wonder how disappointed his mother would be if she saw him right now
I think this might be me. It’s -8 degrees right now, and I’m wearing ballet flats. I did put on thin socks though, so that’s more than I usually do.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
There's always gonna be some guy out there in basketball shorts and crocs where there's 6 feet of snow on the ground. Don't talk to him, but quietly wonder how disappointed his mother would be if she saw him right now
1613418982954.png

• Haha
This kitten has the best name!!! Her name is Olaf because the three spots on her back resemble a snowman 😍

37036DA4-8902-4E1A-9349-875B6A9ECE3A.jpeg

DC914148-68E0-4EEC-B13B-72288DB98928.jpeg

97592867-E5C3-4944-A2FB-DB3C2F44A3D7.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I got my fourth year rotations today and I'm super excited because I got the one I really really really wanted and a few others I really wanted. Only one I'm not super pumped about but it's a required category that only had 3 options that were all pretty meh.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I got my fourth year rotations today and I'm super excited because I got the one I really really really wanted and a few others I really wanted. Only one I'm not super pumped about but it's a required category that only had 3 options that were all pretty meh.
You touring around these parts next year?

Ok but... I know how to drive in snow.

DON'T HIT THE BRAKES.

Seriously. It's what causes spin-outs. If you have to break, ease into it slowly in an area where you can afford to fishtail.

Also, if you fishtail, turn into it, which is the opposite reaction to what you think you should do. Correcting only makes it worse.

Everything else, especially the Millennium falcon + have snacks in your car (I keep biscotti and other tasty-stale items) is so true it hurts

Omfg I did not see this before I replied, but THIS IS THE WAY lmao

My 2006 Ford and I are jealous of all y'alls auto-starts.

My 2006 Ford and I are jealous of all y'alls auto-starts.
Lol I have an 2005 gmc and hubs has a 2016 jeep no autostarts either😂
After market remote starts. Get one with a two way remote so it will tell you that the receiver got the signal and is starting your car 👌👌👌

• Wow
I'm finally going to be able to see my boyfriend after not seeing him for 2 weeks!

He got Covid 2 weeks ago, was released from quarantine, but still gets exhausted easily. His roommates and I did not end up having symptoms or testing positive (Covid is weird). Told him we can just take it easy but he's definitely wanting to get out of his apartment even if he doesn't have much energy. Don't blame him as I was going nuts (or being driven to it by an energetic golden boy) when I was home waiting to see if I'd get symptoms

• Care

This made me smile today!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Not really a rave, but just feeling incredibly lucky to have such a supportive PI who actually cares about my well-being more than he cares about the fact that I haven't physically been in lab in months now. We had a meeting today to discuss getting my research going again with me essentially just big-braining it from home and designing/analyzing everything and having my new tech be my hands. He kept emphasizing that he doesn't want me to feel any sort of pressure to be getting back to lab when I'm still feeling like garbage and that we'll find a way to make it work. Just feel really lucky to be working for someone like that.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Man if the start of this year hasn’t been a DOOZY but I am glad to have an apartment complex that is completely chill with me changing the move in date like 3 times now while the hiring process at my new job drags it’s heels (it’s an entity where this is completely the norm and they have been great too)

• Care
Trying to focus on positives today and haven't seen this thread up top in a while so:
  • I finished grand rounds today and got good feedback
  • All of my surgeries today are done, pending some kind of an emergency coming in
  • I'm not on call until tomorrow night, so I can sleep when I get home today
  • I have time to try to catch up on records before rounds today
  • The on-call doctor that I took an emergency patient with last night is really nice and basically doing half of my records because he sees how busy I am
  • The intern who's on another case with me did literally all of the records for me while I was doing grand rounds
  • I'm almost done with this rotation so I might have a chance to do more things for myself this upcoming week
I am really really tempted to get some kind of takeaway tonight but I may just go home and sleep instead

• Love
Reactions: 11 users