RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was able to get mine today too! Just by luck by having our office manager check to see if we could get some and vaccinate our employees ourselves. heh

Luckily the pharmacist was like, oh man. No. You guys are important. We will get you on the list. <3
I just got mine! And the pharmacist gave me a hard time for saying I’m an essential worker because I just work with animals :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
  • Okay...
  • Sad
Reactions: 16 users
I just got mine! And the pharmacist gave me a hard time for saying I’m an essential worker because I just work with animals :rolleyes:
They should be thanking you for all the anti anxiety meds having to be scripted for animals dealing with the human's anxiety. haha

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Some places are so weird about it and clearly have no idea what veterinarians do. I was lucky that the place I went to when I got mine was immediately fine with it when I told them I'm a student at the veterinary teaching hospital

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I got mine the lady was just telling me how ISU found out what was wrong with her dog and asked if I thought they would make a Covid vaccine for pets lol

• Haha
  • Care
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
When I got mine the lady was just telling me how ISU found out what was wrong with her dog and asked if I thought they would make a Covid vaccine for pets lol
I mean if this was a real concern though (COVID spreading to pets), I would absolutely vaccinate my dog before myself. I'm sure many, many other pet owners would too.

Went to a virtual 4 hour CE thing today on POCUS/FAST scans because I adore the speakers, the topic, and it was free for students. It was hands down the best 4 hours of learning I think I've ever had. Everything now makes sense and I can't wait to go play with an ultrasound to practice what I learned.

The speakers are a criticalist and an internist, and are both hilarious. Some of the top quotes of the sessions were:
"Those tick-like Yorkies" (in reference to PLE)
"We're making a cross because we are ER and we are hoping things live" (In reference to the AFAST probe placement sites)
"If you see the heavens, your patient is closer to heaven" (In regards to B-lines on TFAST)

ETA: If anyone has the opportunity to go to any CE/talks done by Soren Boysen or Serge Chalhoub would 13/10 recommend.

Reactions: 8 users
The only animals I've even heard of getting COVID vaccines are primates in zoo collections, and those are obviously the same as the human vaccines
Mink, cats, and dogs have tested positive for it through our VDL (including a tiger!). Mink farms out in Utah are getting decimated right now.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Went to a virtual 4 hour CE thing today on POCUS/FAST scans because I adore the speakers, the topic, and it was free for students. It was hands down the best 4 hours of learning I think I've ever had. Everything now makes sense and I can't wait to go play with an ultrasound to practice what I learned.

The speakers are a criticalist and an internist, and are both hilarious. Some of the top quotes of the sessions were:
"Those tick-like Yorkies" (in reference to PLE)
"We're making a cross because we are ER and we are hoping things live" (In reference to the AFAST probe placement sites)
"If you see the heavens, your patient is closer to heaven" (In regards to B-lines on TFAST)

ETA: If anyone has the opportunity to go to any CE/talks done by Soren Boysen or Serge Chalhoub would 13/10 recommend.

They were my hands down fav profs in school. I adore them. I need to pay more attention to go to their CE things, clearly

Members don't see this ad :)
Mink, cats, and dogs have tested positive for it through our VDL (including a tiger!). Mink farms out in Utah are getting decimated right now.
Oh yeah, I just meant animals specifically getting vaccines for COVID right now. As far as I'm aware nothing has been developed/administered to dogs/cats/mink. Although if I were to make one I would prioritize mustelids since they seem to actually become severely clinically affected.

Oh yeah, I just meant animals specifically getting vaccines for COVID right now
My bad. I forgot how to read and didn't get you meant getting vaccinated!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Oh yeah, I just meant animals specifically getting vaccines for COVID right now. As far as I'm aware nothing has been developed/administered to dogs/cats/mink. Although if I were to make one I would prioritize mustelids since they seem to actually become severely clinically affected.
The minks are getting vaccines!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I overheard my assistant say to my tech this afternoon “She’s amazing!” as I went through 2 hours of 15-minute appointments while getting everyone through on time. Made my day!

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Officially going on a 6 week solo backpacking/backcountry trip in New Zealand after I finish up 4th year rotations next year!!! (As long as Covid has chilled tf out and it is safe/not irresponsible to travel)

I've never in my life done a big trip like this, and I've wanted to go to New Zealand for about 12 years now (I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scoping it out as a potential future country to live in). Plus the solo hostel/backpacker/wilderness life very much appeals to my personality and I've never gotten the chance to try it beyond basic backcountry weekend hiking trips.

I never really considered travel because my goal was always to minimize my spending until after I had an adult job, and I always prioritized work and vet stuff over fun. Kind of had a bit of an epiphany last week when I realized how many life experiences I've turned down in the past 7 years in my quest to be a vet, and how much I feel like I missed out on parts of life. At the same time I realized the 2 months I have between end of rotations and graduation/internship will be the most time off I have at one time potentially for the rest of my career.

Anyways, I have a number of regrets about how I spent my undergrad years and I feel like this is a chance to rectify some of the regrets I have.

Yes I know it sounds like I'm having a quarter life crisis lol. I like to think of it as me finally starting to appreciate a work-life balance. Also living in the barren tundra that is my vet school city during winter is driving my exotic travel bug immensely.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
I'm signing a lease today on my own apartment (my roommate is graduating and I ultimately decided I wanted my own quiet space because I can be pretty sensitive to noise)

I've never lived by myself, so I'm both nervous and excited

Reactions: 9 users
I'm signing a lease today on my own apartment (my roommate is graduating and I ultimately decided I wanted my own quiet space because I can be pretty sensitive to noise)

I had one apartment to myself in my life. It was some of my best years.

I lived by myself for 2 years in college, during 4th year rotations, during my radiology internship, and now during residency. It's the best. When I had roommates on the island in vet school, could not wait to be back in the US and live by myself again! Just having the entire space to yourself and making your own rules is so nice.

Reactions: 5 users
I lived by myself for 2 years in college, during 4th year rotations, during my radiology internship, and now during residency. It's the best. When I had roommates on the island in vet school, could not wait to be back in the US and live by myself again! Just having the entire space to yourself and making your own rules is so nice.
Ditto. Especially I can have the refrigerator all to myself and fill it up all i want :soexcited:

The only time I'd wished I have roommates is when I had long rotation hours and needed help letting my dog out during the day :laugh:

Living alone is the best, minus the part that you only have yourself to blame if the toilet paper runs out or the dishes stack up, but yeah, it is at least your mess and not someone else's.

Reactions: 10 users
So looking forward to living alone in a few months. If only so I don't have to worry about my animals annoying people other than me. It is hard living with a big dog and a cat with people who are neither big dog nor cat people

• Care
I love living alone. I’ve had roommates who burnt my dish drying mat by putting a pot on it directly from the stove and then didn't even tell me and just flipped it over hoping I wouldn’t notice. Also roommates who would use my jelly in the fridge AND THEN LEAVE IT OUT ON THE COUNTER, OPEN, WITH THE KNIFE IN IT. I much prefer living alone because I don’t have to deal with someone else slopping food on the counter and then leaving it to dry and crust over.

• Care
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I love living alone. I’ve had roommates who burnt my dish drying mat by putting a pot on it directly from the stove and then didn't even tell me and just flipped it over hoping I wouldn’t notice. Also roommates who would use my jelly in the fridge AND THEN LEAVE IT OUT ON THE COUNTER, OPEN, WITH THE KNIFE IN IT. I much prefer living alone because I don’t have to deal with someone else slopping food on the counter and then leaving it to dry and crust over.

Ugh, how are people like this? Like if you damage something just apologize and offer to replace said item. It isn't difficult.

Reactions: 9 users
I GOT A SCHOLARSHIP!!! :D

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
Ugh this would drive me insane.

I haven’t lived alone since dorm room time, and I shared a bathroom then even.

I’m realizing I haven’t ever really lived alone. Like, ever. Just for a week here or month there.

But, I can boss my roommate around and he’s not gross about stuff. In fact, he cleans more than I do. We also share pretty much everything. Including a bed. So I have to imagine that simplifies a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
So so happy to hear:biglove: I have another friend who had to go through heart surgery with her son a few years back and now he’s 4 and very healthy and you wouldn’t even know he had anything wrong.

Random rave from a while ago that I forgot to post:

Had a patient on an intensive rotation that was hospitalized for an acute issue, and the owners kept requesting phone call updates multiple times a day. On the calls, they would repeatedly ask who was taking care of their dog (which doctors were on the case that day, who was staffing the overnight ICU, which specific surgeon was going to be doing the surgery, etc.) and I thought they were those kind of clients who didn't want an intern or resident working on their pet.

Turns out they were asking for everyone's names so they could get us all beautiful gifts with wonderful personalized cards. They even spelled my name right. If I had mentioned the name on the phone to them, that person got a gift + card. So, so nice.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 23 users
I have a HUGE rave today!

Last week, I took my dog into work with me because he suddenly stopped eating, vomited, and seemed very uncomfortable. At first, all signs seemed to point to pancreatitis, and I decided to leave him in the hospital overnight for supportive care pending an ultrasound the next day. However, when I showed up for my shift in the ER the next day, one of our doctors pulled me aside and told me that it wasn’t pancreatitis, he actually had a septic abdomen- cue complete and utter panic on my part! The ultrasound showed a pocket of fluid and gas in the cranial abdomen, but we had no idea what was causing it.

Obviously, it didn’t look good, but since I have insurance and a really good employee discount, I decided to give him a fighting chance and go ahead with surgery. I was fully expecting them to find something horrible like a necrotic tumor and that would be the end of things, and the doctors didn’t have much hope either. Our surgeons immediately took him back and I tried to prepare myself for the worst. It wasn’t even an hour later when one of them came out to update me, and lo and behold, my dog had a liver lobe torsion that had abscessed! They were able to resect it, place some drains, and I got to be with him while they recovered him.

After six days in the ICU, today he gets to come home!!! I am so, so, SO thankful and grateful for all the amazing people who took care of him over the past week. I feel so lucky that I get to work with the smartest people I know, and I have one heck of a lucky doggo today :)

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users
I have a HUGE rave today!

Last week, I took my dog into work with me because he suddenly stopped eating, vomited, and seemed very uncomfortable. At first, all signs seemed to point to pancreatitis, and I decided to leave him in the hospital overnight for supportive care pending an ultrasound the next day. However, when I showed up for my shift in the ER the next day, one of our doctors pulled me aside and told me that it wasn’t pancreatitis, he actually had a septic abdomen- cue complete and utter panic on my part! The ultrasound showed a pocket of fluid and gas in the cranial abdomen, but we had no idea what was causing it.

Obviously, it didn’t look good, but since I have insurance and a really good employee discount, I decided to give him a fighting chance and go ahead with surgery. I was fully expecting them to find something horrible like a necrotic tumor and that would be the end of things, and the doctors didn’t have much hope either. Our surgeons immediately took him back and I tried to prepare myself for the worst. It wasn’t even an hour later when one of them came out to update me, and lo and behold, my dog had a liver lobe torsion that had abscessed! They were able to resect it, place some drains, and I got to be with him while they recovered him.

After six days in the ICU, today he gets to come home!!! I am so, so, SO thankful and grateful for all the amazing people who took care of him over the past week. I feel so lucky that I get to work with the smartest people I know, and I have one heck of a lucky doggo today :)
This is impressive! I had a liver lobe torsion come in on emergency during my surgery rotation and it was the first one the third year residents had seen in their careers. Apparently they're quite uncommon in dogs.

This is impressive! I had a liver lobe torsion come in on emergency during my surgery rotation and it was the first one the third year residents had seen in their careers. Apparently they're quite uncommon in dogs.
That’s what I’ve heard! Only a few of the doctors I work with had ever seen one before! Once he was stable they started making fun of me that I haven’t even started vet school yet and my animals are already getting obscure medical problems lol

• Haha
I knew I saved some boxes for my impending move. What I forgot is that I saved literally all of my boxes from when I moved here. Rediscovered the storage closet full of them today and feeling happy I don't have to worry about getting boxes for the packing.

Still don't have housing though :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
Just filed our wedding license application!!!! :D

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
A new rave and a belated one:
Started new non-clinical federal job last week. Just starting week 2 and I’m still excited about it.

Also today I got offered a Board of Directors position with the Association of Asian Veterinary Medical Professionals (AAVMP)!! Wasn’t a position that I had applied for but they created some additional new positions so I’m super excited about that :biglove: :biglove:

(but because my paranoia is strong, I am waiting for the anvil or piano to fall from the universe :thinking: + insert old shifty eye meme here)

• Love
Reactions: 33 users
A new rave and a belated one:
Started new non-clinical federal job last week. Just starting week 2 and I’m still excited about it.

Also today I got offered a Board of Directors position with the Association of Asian Veterinary Medical Professionals (AAVMP)!! Wasn’t a position that I had applied for but they created some additional new positions so I’m super excited about that :biglove: :biglove:

(but because my paranoia is strong, I am waiting for the anvil or piano to fall from the universe :thinking: + insert old shifty eye meme here)
That is all awesome, kd!!!! Super excited for you on all the fronts :love: ❤️ :biglove:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users