RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my second dose of the Moderna vaccine today, and then my sister made me a loaf of Paul Hollywood’s bacon cheddar bread :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
How are you feeling? I get my 2nd dose in 12 days!
I feel a bit like I got run over by a high-speed train haha. It’s about what I expected though, mainly headache, body aches, and fever/chills. My animals are very pleased that I’ve stayed in bed to snuggle them all day though lol

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I drew blood from a stork and gave a macaw an injection today :)

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Got to see a real life less than a week old foal suckling from his mom this week when just a few weeks ago one of our professors showed us pictures of a foal drinking from his mom. It's so different and more exciting to see all of the things we talk about in real life rather than just in pictures. He's also very cute 🥺 but rambunctious

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I won a copy of Blackwell's from a lecture I attended last week 😻 I referenced the online version (through our library) so much last semester. A good start to my textbook collection.

• Love
After a couple earlier smaller scale test runs, we had our first few big drive-thru COVID-19 vaccination clinics this week and they went super well. We provided just under 2000 vaccines this week, which doesn't sound like much, but consider that Missouri has absolutely botched statewide distribution thus far so that's about all we've received and that we're a very small LPHA (especially considering the population we serve) doing this entirely on our own without much in the way of external support. Honestly, the best part was seeing how grateful many of our patients were to be getting their first dose---some were even in tears from happiness! It was really, really cool and I'm actually pretty stoked to work the next few weeks of clinics.

Oh, and my data entry skills are also now on fleek with all of the practice I got entering immunization data into the state's system. So that's cool. Ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
We are going to build a house. I say that like we didn't buy the land last June and are about to do footings, which took so long because permits. And is the price of lumber goes up any more I'm going to start pillaging or something.

Completely the opposite of most, this house will be a single story craftsman-style house with a shop to one side, and it will be away from people enough that I should have lots of birds and a good view of sunsets and storms, with no regular sirens or large groups of motorcycles or, really, any traffic noise at all outside of the occasional lifted truck etc.

I'm excited but the process has already been dreadfully drawn out. I can only imagine the disappointing delays yet in store.

Reactions: 17 users
We are going to build a house. I say that like we didn't buy the land last June and are about to do footings, which took so long because permits. And is the price of lumber goes up any more I'm going to start pillaging or something.

Completely the opposite of most, this house will be a single story craftsman-style house with a shop to one side, and it will be away from people enough that I should have lots of birds and a good view of sunsets and storms, with no regular sirens or large groups of motorcycles or, really, any traffic noise at all outside of the occasional lifted truck etc.

I'm excited but the process has already been dreadfully drawn out. I can only imagine the disappointing delays yet in store.
That's so exciting, this is exactly what we are hoping to do the next few years (build a single story home). Good luck, I know the delays and prices have been worse with COVID.

Enjoy it! I assisted with a c-section while in school, and I haven’t had to do one since starting as a GP.
I was on one during gen surg and legitimately thought every single puppy was dead when we removed it. None of them were moving and they were all covered in meconium. Mom was a frenchie that had been in labor for ~12 hours at least and had already delivered a dead puppy. All of the heart rates were like 160 too. Was very surprised that they all lived.

Kind of hope I'll never have to do one again but that's unlikely. However I will probably be in a position where I can c-section and spay at the same time so that's at least easier lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have helped with a good number of c-sections, but haven't been primary just due to me usually having to take over appointments. But, always nervous excitement as you see if the puppies breathe and mom makes it.

Side story- Last one I was a part of again I only stepped in to help revive pup after getting all the appointments in hand. Last one would not pink up. I worked on that pup for an hour with flow by, suction, and nose mouth/to mouth. Pup finally pinked up and started breathing on his own, and by that time lunch was over and I had appointments again.

I figured he probably had some consequences to that long of a resuscitation and questioned my stubbornness. However, I later learned the puppy latched and had suckled on its own. I was pleased but still had reservations if he would live. Occasional check ins, and pup is doing just as well as the other three that made it.

I hope I get to be his veterinarian. That's why I'm in GP.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Why is that easier? It just sounds like an extra procedure to me. :laugh:
You can just remove the uterus en bloc and hand it off to an assistant to remove all of the puppies at once, rather than the tedious process of making an incision, milking them out, removing the placentas, and then suturing the uterus and the body wall. Generally speaking the puppies get out faster and you can close faster since you aren't losing time getting them out or fiddling with a one or two layer continuous closure rather than a few ligatures.

This is interesting because I actually saw a discussion recently on one of the vet FB pages where there were a lot of people saying that it's not recommended to spay at the time of c-section because of increased risk of negative outcomes for mom. Of course I didn't actually go read the papers, and there were several people saying they've done it loads of times with no problems (yay anecdotes!). I couldn't remember if anything like that had been mentioned in school.

Reactions: 5 users
This is interesting because I actually saw a discussion recently on one of the vet FB pages where there were a lot of people saying that it's not recommended to spay at the time of c-section because of increased risk of negative outcomes for mom. Of course I didn't actually go read the papers, and there were several people saying they've done it loads of times with no problems (yay anecdotes!). I couldn't remember if anything like that had been mentioned in school.
I think our therio people don't like it but our surgery people are into it.

It's a lot of fluid loss at once, especially with the giant ass uteruses (I'm thinking of you, eight puppy 2am labrador c-section from a couple weeks ago...)

I'll argue that you basically only see the breeder/therio types have strong opinions on this, because they generally see a *very different* clientele than your standard ER and GP. I push spay at the time of section as much as I can, usually, especially if they have literally ANY financial concerns and I'm worried we're gonna be talking euthanasia if it happens again.

It's also slightly cheaper to do that way at both my GP and ER, which I appreciate as a gentle push lol.

Reactions: 4 users
And I've done one cat c section in the "clamp, hand off and let the techs deal with it" technique. It worked well.

I just personally hate working with clamps on pedicles deep in an abdomen and that's what you end up getting without a uterus holding things up, so I've avoided it in dogs.

No longer pregnant! 😊 (As of Thursday). Boy, named Arthur for the curious
PXL_20210312_193928163.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users
He looks so serious already!! His little tuft of hair is very adorable with his serious face.

Reactions: 1 user
(Almost) All of my Collected Snow Wisdom:
  • Wear layers
  • Remember snow will make you wet so try to remember to stay dry too
  • Those leather jumper boots that every girl owns. Those ones. You know them. Put them back in your closet so you don't give people like me the joy of watching you slip and fall on your ass when you realize that it's a bad idea to wear shoes with no tread on ice
  • Don't forget to defrost your windshield. Yes, I know your hands are cold because your windshield is getting all the heat. This is considered a tragic design flaw by me too.
  • If your car is lightweight like mine, some heavy kitty litter in the trunk can help stop you from fishtailing so much. Also good in a pinch if you get stuck in snow as you can put some under your tires for traction. When you are extremely desperate, you can also use it as cat litter for you cat
  • Keep some granola bars, gloves, a hat, and blankets in your car for winter
  • Nobody knows how to drive in snow. Not even those people who say they've lived in snow their entire lives. Everyone is stupid as soon as snow is on the ground and you need to treat them like it when you drive
  • When it's snowing really hard at night while you're driving it kind of looks like when they punch it to lightspeed in the Millennium Falcon
  • You should get really really warm socks. I recommend some with sheep on them for no particular reason
  • You lose lots of heat through your head, wear a hat. Preferably one with little puffballs on them because they're fun
  • Watch March of the Penguins and study their gait. Penguins get it. That awkward terrible shuffly little gait they do where their feet move forward maybe an inch at a time and they mostly bob side to side? That gait will help you not slip and die on the ice. Follow the masters (please ignore the fact that penguins fall on ice a lot in these videos, that's because they're still penguins and they have limitations, okay?)
  • You're not better than gravity. You're going to fall. And it's going to suck. Quit feeling so superior to all those penguins
  • Snow makes everything quieter and it also makes it look really light out at night, even when it's midnight. Do not question the vibes because I don't know either
  • There's always gonna be some guy out there in basketball shorts and crocs where there's 6 feet of snow on the ground. Don't talk to him, but quietly wonder how disappointed his mother would be if she saw him right now
Update on this after ~2 feet of snowfall here: do not live in places where it snows :grumpy:

• Haha
  • Care
Lol...my friend texted me a screen shot of the snow forecast and was like WTF are you moving?
It's a VERY unusual amount of snow for here, like record setting or close to it
I've heard it's so dry there the snow evaporates instead of melts... That sounds cool!
It definitely still goes away by melting off. I don't know what they mean by saying it evaporates...?

Fiancee had to call in two days in a row because his little corola cant get out of the garage

It definitely still goes away by melting off. I don't know what they mean by saying it evaporates...?
Some of it goes through sublimation rather than melting and evaporating. Anyone remember phase diagrams and the triple point?

• Love
Update on this after ~2 feet of snowfall here: do not live in places where it snows :grumpy:
Wholeheartedly agree. :annoyed:
They say March is our snowiest month. Like most of our record-setting snow storms are in March.

*sigh* nevermind, my family are *****s

Edit: WOW I didn't know saying someone was an idiot was swearing

• Haha
They say March is our snowiest month. Like most of our record-setting snow storms are in March.
The 2003 storm they mention was when I was in elementary school. It closed school for a week. We had suburbans and were some of the only people who could leave our homes.

Reactions: 1 users
Some of it goes through sublimation rather than melting and evaporating. Anyone remember phase diagrams and the triple point?
Get outta here with them fancy book learnin words
Wholeheartedly agree. :annoyed:

Yeah, we definitely get the most snow in March/April I feel like. But even this storm is too much, I demand to speak to whoever's in charge
*sigh* nevermind, my family are *****s

Edit: WOW I didn't know saying someone was an idiot was swearing
I like that idiot isn't censored in your edit but the plural is

• Haha
Also y'all, I almost died getting in to school today and then fell and ate **** hard on the sidewalk on my way in from the parking lot :arghh:

I'm not saying it took an hour to dig my car out and that I had to roll through the stop sign at the end of my culdesac so I didn't get stuck, but I'm not not saying that either

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Also y'all, I almost died getting in to school today and then fell and ate **** hard on the sidewalk on my way in from the parking lot :arghh:

I'm not saying it took an hour to dig my car out and that I had to roll through the stop sign at the end of my culdesac so I didn't get stuck, but I'm not not saying that either
Colorado’s final goodbye before you move on to warmer climates.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I say good riddance to snow! At least until I realize I miss it in a year or two or something idk

Although I have always been of the opinion that snow is the best when you don't have to drive or walk in it, and can just sit in a cozy arm chair with hot cocoa, a cat, and a book while you watch it through the window

Although I have always been of the opinion that snow is the best when you don't have to drive or walk in it, and can just sit in a cozy arm chair with hot cocoa, a cat, and a book while you watch it through the window
Yesssssssss, this is how I feel about rain.
Snow can go suck a dick though.

Yesssssssss, this is how I feel about rain.
Snow can go suck a dick though.
I've always told people that they are welcome to take me to a ski lodge so long as they understand I will be curled up next to the fire getting wasted on schnapps the whole time

Snow is garbage otherwise

It feels like a goodbye with a vengeance. Just got my car stuck in my culdesac and my neighbor had to tow me out... No idea how I'm supposed to get to the hospital tomorrow given that I can make the entire drive round trip except for the first and last 100 yards. It's also snowing again now :grumpy:

• Care
I don't mind walking in it as long as properly attired, but yeah I don't want to operate heavy machinery in it

1st Vaccine Down!!! :D
I was able to get mine today too! Just by luck by having our office manager check to see if we could get some and vaccinate our employees ourselves. heh

Luckily the pharmacist was like, oh man. No. You guys are important. We will get you on the list. <3

• Love