This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental684

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the goal is to become a dentist either route I take...
I am currently taking my undergrads (3rd semester).
I've been working in a dental office (front office) since age 17 (I'm soon to be 20 now) - yes, young.. I know, but I've known I wanted to become a dentist and that's the goal I'm determined to chase.
Yet, I'm extremely nervous about studying towards a degree in hopes to get accepted into dental school and getting completely rejected.
I need help deciding if it is a reasonable plan to go into dental hygiene first so I'm able to have a secure degree and can work part time or temp while I finish my pre-req and apply for dental school?
or should I stop being so stressed/negative and just go straight for it and get my bachelors degree then apply for dental school taking this route?
What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear why.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't do DH if your goal is dental school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My dental assisting instructor told me that if you want to be a dentist just do it. Don't do hygiene first.

you're so young! try for d-school.

I am a dental hygienist, and I did not make my decision to start pre reqs for dental school until I started working for amazing DDS that has inspired me to become a Dentist. My best advise is to do well while achieving undergrad and focus on great grades while in school, do not waste your time and money on credits that do not apply towards your degree. Trust me I have an AA, AS in DH and working on BASDH along with pre reqs for dental school. You need to choose what you will enjoy and hygienist and dentist are 2 totally different career choices.