This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princetongirl910

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I applied to MD/DO schools for the 2018-2019 cycle and only received one interview, no acceptances. I'm going to reapply and am seeking advice on strengthening my application. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.6 cum, 3.45 science
MCAT: 510
Volunteering: 100 hours hospital volunteering, week long service trip to Nicaragua, semester long volunteering with Girls on the Run
Research: participated in undergraduate research for 3 years, received a grant for an independent project, no publications
Awards: Dean's list for my GPA 4/8 semesters, Senior Service Leadership Award, my school's honors program
Shadowing: 100+ hours total with a family medicine DO, internal medicine MD, and ophthalmology surgeon
Gap year plans: Clinical research assistant
Have had part time jobs all throughout college

I was originally a NJ resident but am now establishing SC residency

Previous school list:
-rnjms
-robert wood johnson
-rowan
-Rosalind franklin
-Loyola Chicago
-Tulane
-Virginia tech
-wake forest
-new york medical college
-Albany medical college
-drexel
-arizona

-Chicago college of medicine
-nyitcom
-edward vcom
-pcom

any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
The 3 South Carolina state public schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Virginian Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
California University (new school)
Also apply to at least 10 DO schools.
The South Carolina MD schools interview half of instate applicants.

Can you be more specific about your volunteering? E.g., stratify by clinical vs nonclinical and list hours for each role

the hospital volunteering was all in the pediatric ward - I sat at the nurses station so people could come up to me if they needed water, blankets, etc. or if the nurses needed assistance with cleaning rooms or other such duties (100 hours). In Nicaragua, we set up free health clinics and passed out free medicines, clothes, toys, and shoes. I got to shadow the local doctors who assisted in the clinics (1 week). For Girls on the Run, I went to an elementary school once a week for an after school program where we played games with the girls and taught them about healthy lifestyles (15 weeks).