Re-application Plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cryle

Reaction score
I have a 3.4 GPA but got a 490 after taking the MCAT the first time. What score do I need in order to get accepted into DO schools? I have tons of hours of experience in Research, and working as a CNA and scribe.

Planning on working as a scribe in my gap year.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.4 GPA but got a 490 after taking the MCAT the first time. What score do I need in order to get accepted into DO schools? I have tons of hours of experience in Research, and working as a CNA and scribe.

Planning on working as a scribe in my gap year.

Thanks!
> 500. > 505 even better

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA keeps you competitive (DO averages are a little bit higher) but since you will be retaking the MCAT, you should shoot to do well above the DO average of 504. You can probably be competitive just scoring above 500, but you should shoot for a 505+ to be safe. Obviously, this will change depending on what schools you'll be applying to and your extracurriculars.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Hello
I apologize in advance for this long post.
I have been actively trying to gain acceptance to a MD/DO program in the past 3 years. I am hoping that you'd be able to kindly navigate me to make a right decision after reading a little about my background.
I migrated to the U.S at age of 20 (about 10 years ago) and I had to overcome multiple financial, family and emotional problems during my undergraduate years. Unfortunately my poor time management and decision making skills significantly hindered my academic performance and I graduated with a 2.86 cumulative GPA in 2014. i Obviously my GPA let me with no chance at pursuing my medical eduction.

In the next two years, series of events and personal experiences confirmed I had to figure out a way to make up for my mistakes at all cost. I have retaken almost all of my science courses. I obtained a cumulative post-baccalaureate GPA of 3.7 while I participated in multiple extracurricular activities including but not limited to being a Learning Assistant for 3 semesters and obtaining over 2000 hours of hands on patient experiences, working as a medical assistant.

My achievements however do not express the tremendous amount of time, energy, motivation and discipline that I had to put in to thrive. In 2019, I finally was diagnosed with ADHD which explained all sort of difficulties I had to face previously. Since the onset of my treatment, I have experienced significant improvement in all aspect of my life including my academic productivity.

Unfortunately, my applications to Medical-track master programs and DO/MD schools have been rejected in the past two years as my science GPA is still below 3.0. I have taken MCAT 3 times. I took my most recent MCAT score, a few months after I started my treatment and scored 500. I am confident with more time, and practice I can obtain a competitive score. I am also in the process of applying to three MMS programs

I would greatly appreciate it if you provide me with some feedbacks in regards to choosing my next move.

My questions:
1. Would I benefit from continuing my post-baccalaureate studies, considering that it will not affect my GPA much.
2. Should I mention my untreated ADHD in my future applications.
3. Should I consider re-taking the MCAT during the gap year ahead , or should I wait after I finish a master program?

Thank you

Hi Mosafer! Thanks so much for providing so much detail - it helps to answer your question of what's the next move. I think it's always important to mention reasons for setbacks so talking about your diagnosis of ADHD is definitely a smart move in one of the optional or secondary essay prompts. You didn't let it keep you from persisting and that shows resilience so that's great. You definitely need a stronger MCAT. At this point, it's one of the only ways to show that you really grasp those upper level science concepts. A post-bacc is great too but MCAT is going to be key in your situation. When you take the MCAT is dependent on how much time you have available to study. Make sure to plan accordingly.

Happy to discuss further and I'm also happy to review your essays.

Best of luck!
Lauren

Hi Mosafer! Thanks so much for providing so much detail - it helps to answer your question of what's the next move. I think it's always important to mention reasons for setbacks so talking about your diagnosis of ADHD is definitely a smart move in one of the optional or secondary essay prompts. You didn't let it keep you from persisting and that shows resilience so that's great. You definitely need a stronger MCAT. At this point, it's one of the only ways to show that you really grasp those upper level science concepts. A post-bacc is great too but MCAT is going to be key in your situation. When you take the MCAT is dependent on how much time you have available to study. Make sure to plan accordingly.

Happy to discuss further and I'm also happy to review your essays.

Best of luck!
Lauren
Thank you so much Lauren for those great feedbacks :)
A few of the master programs I am currently applying to, do not offer a secondary essay option. Would it be safe if I briefly mention the ADHD in my primary personal statement?

I will definitely refer to you once I compose my personal statement. I'd greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you so much Lauren for those great feedbacks :)
A few of the master programs I am currently applying to, do not offer a secondary essay option. Would it be safe if I briefly mention the ADHD in my primary personal statement?

For post bacc and master's programs, you likely won't need an entire essay devoted to this but it couldn't hurt to mention in your personal statement that discovering this diagnosis helped you figure out what tools you needed to acquire in order to continue pursuing medical school and this time, more successfully. :)

Kind regards,
Lauren

Last edited by a moderator:
I receive my first acceptance letter from the USF master program!!!
Thank you so much for your help. I did briefly mention my condition in my 1 page essay. I am going to retake the MCAT, and apply to MD/DO programs as well as other master programs. :D:D
I feel liberated!

Warm regards,
Mosafer

Thank you so much for your help. I did briefly mention my condition in my 1 page essay. I am going to retake the MCAT, and apply to MD/DO programs as well as other master programs. :D:D
I feel liberated!

Warm regards,
Mosafer

Seems like you will be taking the MCAT for the 4th time, better make it count. I wish you the best of luck !!!

I feel liberated!

Warm regards,
Mosafer

Congratulations! Go kill the masters program and the mcat!

Seems like you will be taking the MCAT for the 4th time, better make it count. I wish you the best of luck !!!
I am going to take my time to retake this time. I am aiming for a competitive score this time.
:nod: