This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

myMDdreams

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

Recently I found out that some medical schools require pre-requisite courses to be taken within five years and other schools are open to older courses but like to see recent coursework.

I graduated in 2013 and have been working as a clinical research coordinator for the past two years. My oldest course will be 8 years from the time of application in 2017 and my "youngest" pre-requisite course will be 4 years old.

I plan on taking 4 upper level classes in Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 semesters while working part-time but I was wondering whether it would simply be better to repeat those lower level courses while going to school full-time.

I'm really not sure what to do. What has been your experience?
 
Just curious as well. I started my degree in 2009 and then graduated in 2015 due to family concerns. But I figured it will be fine to apply and hopefully be in medical school for the Fall 2018 semester. Now I feel I might be in the same situation which is concerning. Maybe do a post-bac, which seems tedious since I just graduated last year. Retaking pre-reqs is even more terrifying, so much work. But I figured, if I score high on the MCAT it would be possible without going through all that hassle.
 
Hi everyone!

Recently I found out that some medical schools require pre-requisite courses to be taken within five years and other schools are open to older courses but like to see recent coursework.

I graduated in 2013 and have been working as a clinical research coordinator for the past two years. My oldest course will be 8 years from the time of application in 2017 and my "youngest" pre-requisite course will be 4 years old.

I plan on taking 4 upper level classes in Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 semesters while working part-time but I was wondering whether it would simply be better to repeat those lower level courses while going to school full-time.

I'm really not sure what to do. What has been your experience?

Some schools specifically say required courses must be newer than 5 or 7 years. MD programs seem more sensitive than DO, so check on the schools you want to apply.