Reading Comp practice material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsk26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently study to retake the DAT and my largest obstacle is the Reading Comp section of the test. I went through all of bootcamps test and was averaging around a 17. I am still working on a method that works as well but I want to make sure that I am practicing with the most realistic tests. I heard QVault it good but at the same time easier than the real test, so I'm not sure if I should get it. Is there any suggestions on other practice materials?

Members don't see this ad.

I've personally never used QVault of Crack DAT but I heard both of those are great. Additionally, going through SAT/ACT critical reading/reading comprehension is actually helpful in learning how to actually read passages, although they won't necessarily be science-based.

Obviously, you can't "study" for reading but if you go to Scientific American and read a few articles 30 min a day and think of hypothetical questions that could be asked if it was on the DAT, you can train yourself to be more efficient at it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. Would you
I've personally never used QVault of Crack DAT but I heard both of those are great. Additionally, going through SAT/ACT critical reading/reading comprehension is actually helpful in learning how to actually read passages, although they won't necessarily be science-based.

Obviously, you can't "study" for reading but if you go to Scientific American and read a few articles 30 min a day and think of hypothetical questions that could be asked if it was on the DAT, you can train yourself to be more efficient at it. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip. Ill check out the SAT/ACT to practice a method that works well for me. Have you taken the test yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally just used Bootcamp... don't wanna sound cocky but reading comprehension always came naturally to me. But in my daily life, I read a lot of articles and participate in forums A LOT (yes that includes SDN) so maybe being immersed in things that involve a lot of reading, writing, and debating (lol) do help.

When's your test? If you have 1-2 months left, you still have time to get more acclimated to RC....

I personally just used Bootcamp... don't wanna sound cocky but reading comprehension always came naturally to me. But in my daily life, I read a lot of articles and participate in forums A LOT (yes that includes SDN) so maybe being immersed in things that involve a lot of reading, writing, and debating (lol) do help.

When's your test? If you have 1-2 months left, you still have time to get more acclimated to RC....
I have 2 months, which should be plenty of time. Just trying to figure out the best strategy for me. Im not the fastest reader so I've been trying out the search and destroy method. How did you go about it? Any suggestions?

Search and Destroy isn't as effective as it used to be but I'd still definitely gloss over the questions first before reading the passage so you'd get a better idea of what you need to look for. Keep in mind some questions "trick" you in that if you search and destroy without actually reading the whole sentence or two you'll end up choosing an answer that is out of context (and also incorrect).

Everyone is different but I actually skim the 1st and last paragraphs and answer general/main-idea questions first, then I go ahead and shoot for the detail questions. That way, you have a better idea on what the passage is about.

Search and Destroy isn't as effective as it used to be but I'd still definitely gloss over the questions first before reading the passage so you'd get a better idea of what you need to look for. Keep in mind some questions "trick" you in that if you search and destroy without actually reading the whole sentence or two you'll end up choosing an answer that is out of context (and also incorrect).

Everyone is different but I actually skim the 1st and last paragraphs and answer general/main-idea questions first, then I go ahead and shoot for the detail questions. That way, you have a better idea on what the passage is about.
Excellent advice!!! I agree, search and destroyer will NOT always work...

do you know what makes search and destroy is not as effective anymore?

do you know what makes search and destroy is not as effective anymore?
I think @orgoman22 might have a better answer than I do, but I believe that so many students in the past used it TOO effectively that the ADA wants the DAT-takers to actually spend the time to read the whole passage, which IMO should be done to a certain extent anyway.

I think @orgoman22 might have a better answer than I do, but I believe that so many students in the past used it TOO effectively that the ADA wants the DAT-takers to actually spend the time to read the whole passage, which IMO should be done to a certain extent anyway.
redhotchiligochu,I like your answer and I could not have said it better. I will also add imo the reason the reading has become more challenging is because competition to get into dental school is increasing. No easy way around it, you just have to prepare for whatever you are presented on test day. No such thing as over preparing for the DAT.

Nancy

I think I posted it in another thread, but it helps IMO to download a highlighter addon in your browser. That way you can practice highlighting -which a lot of people say is very convenient - with whatever method/material you use :). It doesn't work with bootcamp, but it does with qvault and spare readings. Still qvault is a bit too SnD as everyone else said

Reactions: 1 user
I think I posted it in another thread, but it helps IMO to download a highlighter addon in your browser. That way you can practice highlighting -which a lot of people say is very convenient - with whatever method/material you use :). It doesn't work with bootcamp, but it does with qvault and spare readings. Still qvault is a bit too SnD as everyone else said
What do you mean by SnD? Also, I didn't think you can highlight on the actual DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should consider practicing with DAT Achiever reading. It will always force you to read the passage in full to answer the strings of tone and inference questions. Just don't freak out with the low practice scores you're going to get. I had a passage on my DAT that was as dense as the Achiever and would have bombed the test had I not adopted this conventional method as an alternative approach.
Thank you for the advice. What method did you use for test?

Thats good to know. Do you know how Crack the DAT reading comp is? Or what the best thing out side of bootcamp?
No clue, I've only used bootcamp, qvault, and scientific American articles. I get like 22-23 bootcamp and 24-25 qvault. Honestly if your practice rc scores are like 21+ you should get by fine just reading scientific American articles - might wanna search more on crack the DAT

If anyone has a thought on Crack DAT reading that would be great. I have heard Achiever is good due to the difficulty but I would like something that isn't a subscription due to I still have to schedule my test. Also, Crack DAT has a package with 10 rc tests for $99, while Achiever has 10 full test for $199.99. All I am looking for is rc practice/tests that are most effective to improve my rc section score.

I would usually read the first five questions and start reading the passage till I find answers for at least two questions. Repeat the same thing for the next three or four questions so by the time I finish reading I already have about one half of the questions answered. If this method does not work well after the first attempt I would move on to read the entire passage. This is like going for a war. If the first weapon does not work, take out another one. You can still stick to the search and destroy method but just don't rely entirely on it.
Thanks for the tip What did you use to study with?

Is there a only an achiever with rc?
don't get DAT Achiever, A friend tried it and it had tons of errors in it, and wasn't useful at all.

I also wouldn't trust anything EcoD says, look at their posts from way back in 2011 telling people to use achiever and defending achiever - they clearly work for the company / are the owners of achiever. They're a super deceptive company

don't get DAT Achiever, A friend tried it and it had tons of errors in it, and wasn't useful at all.

I also wouldn't trust anything EcoD says, look at their posts from way back in 2011 telling people to use achiever and defending achiever - they clearly work for the company / are the owners of achiever. They're a super deceptive company

Thanks for the warning. What would you suggest for the reading comp section?